PDA

View Full Version : Chronogragh RCBS

acrtech
02-16-2013, 12:03 PM
last fall, purchased an RCBS bullet shape chronograph in the states.
I am liking to get more involved in this "reloading Obsession"
Just wondering what guys/gals have done to make setting up as quick and simple as possible so as not to disrupt the firing line at the gun club. it says to set up 10-20 feet away, does that depend on the caliber (i will be mostly shooting .30, .243, .223, .17)
thanks for the replies.

Eastern Trapper
02-17-2013, 09:45 AM
The reason behind putting it no less than 10 feet or between 10 to 20 is the effect of the gun's muzzle break blast will not disturb the velocity reading when the bullet enters the chronograph.

normanrd
02-17-2013, 09:52 AM
Ya, the amount of muzzle blast each gun makes will determine how far away it needs to be. Each one will likely be different.

Maxwell78
02-17-2013, 10:01 AM
I have the same chronograph. Recently bought a gun that has a muzzle brake on it. how many more feet distance should a guy add on when shooting. I am in that 10-12 feet for every other gun.

Dick284
02-17-2013, 10:12 AM
A lot of the muzzle blast issues can be mitigated some what by building a 2 foot square plywood/paneling/plexiglas screen with an elongated 3"x8" window in it and placing the screen up to a foot or so in front of the chronograph, this will allow you to settle on a consistent minimum distance from the chronograph, and standardize your set up.

elkhunter11
02-17-2013, 12:44 PM
I generally use a setting of around 20' to prevent the muzzle blast from being an issue.

wolf308
02-18-2013, 12:53 PM
im not at the range typically but at the farm when testing chrono, dont see what would be the problem if you did it my way.-laying in prone in front of a shooting booth. just let your neighbours know your gonna move there if its ok

anyhow i have a flat,folding chrono so not sure if your bullet shape would work on this, but i took a 2x8(or 2x6,not sure),traced my chrony half way(regular rifle) and at the end(magnum). routered down a bit so the chrony nestles in the groove.

then i took tape and taped off where the actual sensors are on the chrony onto the board and painted those . so i have a board with two chrony grooves and racing stripes. for sunny days i just deploy a cover i made from 2x8 and plywood and shoot inside it or get one of those a-frame for sale signs. to block out sunlight. or you can park your truck beside it your in the field.

my board makes it really easy to adjust when laying down and lining up target-chrony-rifle.

magnum loads and i have to get up and adjust the board/chrony cause its about 12' away i think,somewhere there for me/mine