PDA

View Full Version : Bear bait

Warrior
02-16-2013, 02:35 PM
My freezer crapped out in my garage. I have about 40 lbs of deer trim/steaks that are garbage. Would be good for bear bait if you want it. I live in Sundance in Calgary. Let me know.

buck-8835
02-16-2013, 07:18 PM
i dont think your allowed to use it as bait. might wanna check that out. guys on here will eat you alive man. just my two cents..

chopperman
02-16-2013, 07:26 PM
i dont think your allowed to use it as bait. might wanna check that out. guys on here will eat you alive man. just my two cents..

Why would it be illegal? It's spoiled meat..... Not like he let it go to waste on purpose!

H380
02-16-2013, 08:01 PM
Spoiled on purpose or not , I'm with buck-8835 .. I'd be checking with F&W before using .

Warrior
02-16-2013, 10:10 PM
So I guess I will just toss it in the garbage. Doesn't make sense to me if someone could use it.

Trust me defiantly wasn't meant to be wasted. I discovered it had gone bad after I bought all my spices and pork bellies. Luckily I had some meat in the house freezer so I was able to use some of the pork belies today and make some sausage. I was not happy when I discovered this today. No I have 30lbs pork bellies left over!!!

I am not selling this, I am giving away

Spoiled on purpose or not , I'm with buck-8835 .. I'd be checking with F&W before using .

H380
02-16-2013, 10:26 PM
Maybe you misunderstood me , I wasn't saying you were trying to sell it or spoiled it on purpose , that wouldn't make sense ..Just figured you wouldn't want fishcops breathing down your neck .Some trolls on this site that would be happy to report you .

chopperman
02-16-2013, 11:19 PM
So I guess I will just toss it in the garbage. Doesn't make sense to me if someone could use it.

Trust me defiantly wasn't meant to be wasted. I discovered it had gone bad after I bought all my spices and pork bellies. Luckily I had some meat in the house freezer so I was able to use some of the pork belies today and make some sausage. I was not happy when I discovered this today. No I have 30lbs pork bellies left over!!!

I am not selling this, I am giving away

I wouldn't throw it away just yet, I don't think any F&W officer would have any issues using spoiled meat! Talk to them on Tuesday and get it from them, if good to go have someone use it.....better than going to the dump!

Smokinyotes
02-17-2013, 12:20 AM
If it was mine I would put it in 5 gallon pails and mix it with water and make some Popsicles for the coyotes ( it's supposed to get colder this week) then take it some place where you can shoot coyotes and have some fun.

Dadirk
02-17-2013, 09:18 AM
We used barrels of meat scraps for bear bait legal around ft mac and the following and meat is very acceptable practice.
Baiting of black bears is permitted in the following WMUs: 322, 330-338, 348, 358-360, 500-507, 509, 510, 512-520, 522, 523, 529-536, 539-544, and portions of WMUs 320, 324, 357, 521, 526 and 528 (check with local Fish and Wildlife Division offices for more information)

buck-8835
02-17-2013, 08:42 PM
Yes your allowed to use meat scraps. but the meat has to have been processed by a butcher. I believe this is in order to cut down on the transmission of certain diseases. They would have no way of telling once it is in the barrel. I just didnt want an honest guy getting in trouble for doing something he didnt know was wrong.

"Hunters are reminded that Alberta's Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act, Livestock Diseases Act and the Public Health Act apply to baiting situations. Any livestock dying other than through proper slaughter for human consumption must be disposed of in prescribed ways and may not be used for baiting bears. Containers or wrappings made of paper, cardboard, plastic or other materials should not be left at bait sites. For the safety of others, baits should not be placed near active work sites (e.g., tree planting locations) and all bait sites must be cleaned immediately after the bear season."

chopperman
02-18-2013, 08:00 AM
"Yes your allowed to use meat scraps. but the meat has to have been processed by a butcher."

Where do get this information from? I know lots of people that use their big game scraps for baiting. You can even get permission from F&W to use road kill for bear and wolf baiting.

BigDaddysToys
02-18-2013, 11:14 AM
All of this information is readily available in the regs.

That being said there is a grey area regarding several things commonly used for bear bait.

rottie
02-18-2013, 11:46 AM
Yes your allowed to use meat scraps. but the meat has to have been processed by a butcher. I believe this is in order to cut down on the transmission of certain diseases. They would have no way of telling once it is in the barrel. I just didnt want an honest guy getting in trouble for doing something he didnt know was wrong.

"Hunters are reminded that Alberta's Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act, Livestock Diseases Act and the Public Health Act apply to baiting situations. Any livestock dying other than through proper slaughter for human consumption must be disposed of in prescribed ways and may not be used for baiting bears. Containers or wrappings made of paper, cardboard, plastic or other materials should not be left at bait sites. For the safety of others, baits should not be placed near active work sites (e.g., tree planting locations) and all bait sites must be cleaned immediately after the bear season."

Wildlife (deer ect ) isnt livestock so I dont think this applys to game harvested through hunting

Warrior
02-19-2013, 05:48 AM
Closed