PDA

View Full Version : Newell Derby results?????

SCHOOCH
02-16-2013, 03:49 PM
Any word on how this derby is going........really curious to see how the no bait rule is affecting or not affecting the weighing in of the Big Girls.:)

C & C
02-16-2013, 04:35 PM
Any word on how this derby is going........really curious to see how the no bait rule is affecting or not affecting the weighing in of the Big Girls.:)

I know 4 guys who opted out because of this rule. Still went fishing just not in tourney. I was a bit disappointed with that rule

gramps73
02-16-2013, 08:31 PM
I heard that 5.6 lbs is winning after day one, looks like it has been a tough fish..

madatter
02-17-2013, 06:22 AM
I was in the area Friday evening and took a look at the lake.
Didn't seem to be a lot of activity...people pitting in for derby like in the past.
My last 3 outings to Newell have all been slow using bait,without would be not much fun.
Lake X was smoking Friday afternoon tho:)

yulful
02-17-2013, 09:59 AM
There's a bunch of fish around but it's soo hard to get them to bite. The bait ban is a huge game changer and a nice challenge. I guess they accomplished what they where aiming for. I've only caught one in 12 hours on the ice in multiple spots

yulful
02-17-2013, 12:09 PM
I was just told by the co that someone caught the tagged pike for $5000... Awesome

hunted
02-17-2013, 12:22 PM
Radio station in Brooks is suppose to be live out there and they just said no pike have been weighed has to be a 15lb minimum. They also said no tagged fish caught?? A couple white fish have been weighed.

hunted
02-17-2013, 01:15 PM
Radio just confirmed someone caught the tagged fish. Also if no pike is weighed before the end will be a draw for first place.

cujo1969
02-17-2013, 01:42 PM
what radio station is it do you have a link?

hunted
02-17-2013, 01:50 PM
Q105.7 fm in brooks.

http://www.q1057.ca/

SCHOOCH
02-17-2013, 02:27 PM
Great that the tagged fish was snapped up!!!!!! Sad that its going to come down to a draw for the prize money.......hopefully someone gets lucky and makes it a legit derby win!!!!

gramps73
02-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Nothing over 15lbs, your ticket now becomes a lottery ticket...

Mutter87
02-17-2013, 03:55 PM
How many people showed up? How much were tickets? What is 1st prize?

gramps73
02-17-2013, 03:59 PM
Not sure Mutter did not go this year, just got the info from my brother

hunted
02-17-2013, 04:07 PM
How many people showed up? How much were tickets? What is 1st prize?

Radio said 220 tickets, 40 adult, 10 youth. 1st prize 2000. That's what radio said. I didn't take part either. Wasn't it usually 4-500 people?

C & C
02-17-2013, 04:14 PM
I think first got 5k last year but no taged fish was caught.

hunted
02-17-2013, 04:16 PM
Tagged fish was 5000.00

gor
02-17-2013, 04:53 PM
Tagged fish five grand
First two grand pulled from tickets no pike where scaled
Second one grand pulled from tickets
White fish four hundred was three lbs thirteen ounce
I was there and it was slow with very few fisherman
Guys did get charged for fishing with bait and barbed hooks
There tickets where not given prizes at the draws after derby

yulful
02-17-2013, 04:59 PM
I think first got 5k last year but no taged fish was caught.

Last year was $2000.00 for first place

hunted
02-17-2013, 05:17 PM
Tagged fish five grand
First two grand pulled from tickets no pike where scaled
Second one grand pulled from tickets
White fish four hundred was three lbs thirteen ounce
I was there and it was slow with very few fisherman
Guys did get charged for fishing with bait and barbed hooks
There tickets where not given prizes at the draws after derby

How could they get charged for having bait? There is no bait ban on the lake?

C & C
02-17-2013, 05:21 PM
How could they get charged for having bait? There is no bait ban on the lake?

Was wondering that and the barbs? Aren't barbs still in that to be fixed grey area?

npauls
02-17-2013, 05:28 PM
If it is true that someone was charged with barbs and bait I am sure it will be thrown out in court.

The only thing that could happen is a DQ from the derby.

Bait is allowed on the lake and barbs aren't illegal to use as of right now.

Wes_G
02-18-2013, 09:23 PM
No fish even weighed in, thats sad. If they decide to keep that rule, I cant imagine that to many people will keep going to that one anymore.

Reddin
02-19-2013, 12:44 AM
0 fish weighed in = 0 reported fish dead. Good to see. Shows how there is little skill required for baitfishing. Just saying bait ban for a derby is a good thing. Winner of a derby should be able to catch a fish under any circumstance.

pikergolf
02-19-2013, 12:52 AM
:party0052:

dodger
02-19-2013, 04:26 AM
:party0052:

I totally agree ! Well said.
Dodger.

Wes_G
02-19-2013, 05:54 PM
0 fish weighed in = 0 reported fish dead. Good to see. Shows how there is little skill required for baitfishing. Just saying bait ban for a derby is a good thing. Winner of a derby should be able to catch a fish under any circumstance.

Why would you even go to a darby then if your chance of catching a winning fish is so slim then? Althought I dont have any hard numbers to look at, lets just do a little math here anyway....

220 tickets sold. So lets even say that 80% of the people that bought tickets were actually there fishing so lets say.... 176 people were actually fishing. I dont know the actual time in the day to legally fish, but lets say from 8am-4pm. So 176 people fishing for 8 hours is 1408 fishing hours put in per day, times 3 days of the derby is equal to 4224 man hours of fishing..... and no measurable fish were caught...

It may be great for the lake, but a terrible idea if you want to have people keep coming back to your fundraising fishing derby. Doesn't sound like a derby I would be to likely to attend in the future.

jrs
02-19-2013, 06:05 PM
Or they just need to reduce the minimum size for weigh in. Im sure they can get an idea of how to adjust things after this year, maybe they need to switch to 10 lbs minimum. More or less playing devils advocate here...

Mutter87
02-19-2013, 06:45 PM
Should be no minimum. There's lures out there you can use, Lipless baits, rattle baits, flashing spoons. Livetarget makes a lipless bait that looks exactly like a Herring, dart that around or dead stick it. Jig the banjo Minnow.

Ya, no bait blows, but with the Flasher, I know when a fish is there, and if it doesn't take my current lure, I change it up. Makes you think and work for the fish. I understand not everyone has the $ for flashers and cameras, but they do make it "easier" in a sense to catch fish.

A good array of lures and Jigs will catch big fish just as good as bait.

We'll see how next year goes.

madatter
02-19-2013, 07:38 PM
As others have said its not gonna work as a fundraiser without people.
Most people don't think they are master anglers,just want a chance to catch a fish...and have a chance at the money.
Most people don't want to sit there changing lures and staring intently at their flasher or camera.
A bait ban isn't gonna work in this situation....anybody who thinks it will well:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Kim473
02-19-2013, 07:54 PM
Money in, no fish caught = no pay out. More money for the fund raiser. Sounds like a Government deal if you ask me.
Fish can be caught without bait and just imitation lures. JMO.
How many people catch fish with a five-O-D and no bait in the summer months?

Pikehunter13
02-19-2013, 09:12 PM
Is that a joke?
Of coarse people catch with the FIVE-O-D. But your trolling and casting. The pike don't have time to look at it, They just smack it with out knowing.

When you're spooning in the hole it goes up and down.*Keep your mind out of the gutter* pike have time to observe the lure and 99% of the time just swim away. If it doesn't smell the proteins near it. It doesn't want it.

npauls
02-19-2013, 09:18 PM
Money in, no fish caught = no pay out. More money for the fund raiser. Sounds like a Government deal if you ask me.
Fish can be caught without bait and just imitation lures. JMO.

Pike are way more aggressive during warm water months.

During the winter their bodies slow right down and most of them won't be interested in chasing anything to get a meal.

They sort of become scavengers for the most part and look for the easiest meals possible without wasting any energy.

Hence the reason why so many big pike are caught during the winter with a dead still bait hanging under a tip up.

Walnut999
02-19-2013, 09:21 PM
I find it interesting that people think you need bait to catch fish thru the ice. Do you use bait in the summer for pike ? No you troll plugs or spoons or cast spoons. Same for trout, you fly fish or use spinners or whatever. There are all kinds of immitation smelt hooks on the market. As a matter of fact we got outfished by some 2 weeks ago. We had smelts and they were using plastics and outfished us. Not sur if they sprayed them with WD40 but thats a whole nother thread. HAHA

anthony5
02-19-2013, 09:27 PM
Yup it sure goes to show how many fish are caught on lures only in the winter(ice fishing) open water is a completely different story if you know anything about fishing pike :thinking-006:

Walnut999
02-19-2013, 09:38 PM
anthony5 please do tell the title of the book you wrote on pike fishing so we can all become great pike fisherman.

pikergolf
02-19-2013, 09:59 PM
Many, many years ago, when Yellow lake was nothing like the sewer of the SMIRD it is now, there was an old man that hung out there, he could catch fish. He caught more than all around, if you went and asked you would show you his little treasure, for a price you could purchase one from him. All the older men disliked him because he asked a randsom for his lure, but us young fellows flocked to him and gave his price. We all caught fish on it, heck smelts were at best a hit or miss at the safeway, so his sure fire lure saved us many a day. It would be considered primitive now, a 1/4 oz. jig with a treble hook soldered to it adorned, with nothing but chenille and marabou.

anthony5
02-19-2013, 10:35 PM
Walnut999

Nobody ever said, myself included, that you can't catch pike on lures through the ice, I can not speak for everyone, but after almost 50 years of giving it a go in three different provinces I can assure you, it is not that easy to do, don't much care who you are. My largest on a lure is 17 lbs, in the last 30 years nothing over 12lbs, my personal experience. No need to write a book. My personal experience, and only mine, tells me that it is not that easy, if you have something to contribute please fess up and it will be that much easier for the rest of us hard water pike fisherpeople.

Who Da Fisherman
02-19-2013, 10:50 PM
Should be no minimum. There's lures out there you can use, Lipless baits, rattle baits, flashing spoons. Livetarget makes a lipless bait that looks exactly like a Herring, dart that around or dead stick it. Jig the banjo Minnow.

Ya, no bait blows, but with the Flasher, I know when a fish is there, and if it doesn't take my current lure, I change it up. Makes you think and work for the fish. I understand not everyone has the $ for flashers and cameras, but they do make it "easier" in a sense to catch fish.

A good array of lures and Jigs will catch big fish just as good as bait.

We'll see how next year goes.

How many derby's you won doing as you say? What's the largest pike you pulled out doing as you say?
Man things some people say just gets a guy going some times:sHa_sarcasticlol:

anthony5
02-19-2013, 11:34 PM
Anybody???

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
02-19-2013, 11:45 PM
Anybody???

Bright coloured bucktails . After all that's why I sware by them . Pound them on the bottom , then using a flasher when a fish comes in slowly jig it ans often on the drop Wham . I have customers who have bought my hooks who say they work when nothing else does , now that's only 4 or 5 people . Plus from what I read no bait allowed but scents would be a perfect place at a time like this , scents are not bait . But now if scents weren't permitted , use something no one else is . Just my opinion .

fish gunner
02-19-2013, 11:45 PM
50%of my pike this weekend were on non baited lures. Flying jig and twisters tail combo. Rattlers . Spoons .all caught pike. The larger fish all Came to bait?? So yes it can be done with some insight. Winning a large Derby with a min weight , would take SKILL. oh and a dash of luck. Water clarity could be a factor lol.

New Hunter Okotoks
02-20-2013, 04:24 AM
Npauls got it right. What works in the summer does not work in the winter. The water is obviously much colder and has less oxygen in it which means that it is critical to pick out the right area for success.

BTW, I have never heard of anyone jigging a non-baited lure in the summer for pike. Any idea why? Because it doesn't work and the Newell Derby proved it. Although the odd fish will be caught this way, it is not common and they are generally on the small side.

MoFugger21
02-20-2013, 08:36 AM
I find it interesting that people think you need bait to catch fish thru the ice. Do you use bait in the summer for pike ? No you troll plugs or spoons or cast spoons. Same for trout, you fly fish or use spinners or whatever. There are all kinds of immitation smelt hooks on the market. As a matter of fact we got outfished by some 2 weeks ago. We had smelts and they were using plastics and outfished us. Not sur if they sprayed them with WD40 but thats a whole nother thread. HAHA

To compare fishing in the summer with fishing in the winter is completely ridiculous... See below. Back to under the bridge you crawled out from....

Pike are way more aggressive during warm water months.

During the winter their bodies slow right down and most of them won't be interested in chasing anything to get a meal.

They sort of become scavengers for the most part and look for the easiest meals possible without wasting any energy.

Hence the reason why so many big pike are caught during the winter with a dead still bait hanging under a tip up.

Npauls got it right. What works in the summer does not work in the winter. The water is obviously much colder and has less oxygen in it which means that it is critical to pick out the right area for success.

BTW, I have never heard of anyone jigging a non-baited lure in the summer for pike. Any idea why? Because it doesn't work and the Newell Derby proved it. Although the odd fish will be caught this way, it is not common and they are generally on the small side.

drhook
02-20-2013, 03:36 PM
This winter I've iced 3 fish over 20 lbs. One with bait, one on a rattling rap and one on a PK flutter spoon. But in the two non-bait catches both times I've used scents.

Use everything you can think of and you can land a big Jack through the ice. I think the stock in Sham Wow sky rocketed when someone said they could catch pike with strips of Sham Wow dipped in power bait liquid.

I only started to derby fish 3 years ago and haven't won a derby yet but will be going to Badger to try my luck, with or without bait. If we don't attend there will be no derbies to go to any longer.

madatter
02-20-2013, 04:17 PM
This winter I've iced 3 fish over 20 lbs. One with bait, one on a rattling rap and one on a PK flutter spoon. But in the two non-bait catches both times I've used scents.

Use everything you can think of and you can land a big Jack through the ice. I think the stock in Sham Wow sky rocketed when someone said they could catch pike with strips of Sham Wow dipped in power bait liquid.

I only started to derby fish 3 years ago and haven't won a derby yet but will be going to Badger to try my luck, with or without bait. If we don't attend there will be no derbies to go to any longer.

Yes and when the average Joe hears not one keeper was weighed this year he's probably gonna say why waste my time and money:rolleye2:
There are after all only so many hard core professional type anglers to go round.:)
Again it's real hard for charity/fund raiser events to make money if no one shows.
That is the intent of the Newell Derby isn't it?

New Hunter Okotoks
02-20-2013, 06:51 PM
Again it's real hard for charity/fund raiser events to make money if no one shows.
That is the intent of the Newell Derby isn't it?

You are correct; these derbies are done to raise money.

From what I gather, Newell was down about 300 tickets this year. That's $12,000 direct dollars from ticket sales that was lost. There was obviously more money that was lost due to the spin off dollars not being spent because the people were not there.

If they keep the same rules for 2014, they'll be lucky to sell 100 tickets.

Mutter87
02-20-2013, 06:57 PM

You use the Sham Wow strips with the spoons and rattle baits?

I have heard about the Sham Wow trick, even had a Sham wow in my hands, had no scent at home so I put er' down. Don't even know what scent to grab.

npauls
02-20-2013, 07:44 PM
Bright coloured bucktails . After all that's why I sware by them . Pound them on the bottom , then using a flasher when a fish comes in slowly jig it ans often on the drop Wham . I have customers who have bought my hooks who say they work when nothing else does , now that's only 4 or 5 people . Plus from what I read no bait allowed but scents would be a perfect place at a time like this , scents are not bait . But now if scents weren't permitted , use something no one else is . Just my opinion .

John I am pretty sure scents are considered the same as bait.

If there is a bait ban on a body of water you aren't allowed to use things like gulp. Anything with scent I am pretty sure is considered bait here in Alberta.

Mutter87
02-20-2013, 07:48 PM

Do you pound the bottom every 10 second's or so untill they come, or 6 times a minuted for a few minutes then stop and wait?

cdkeim
02-20-2013, 08:04 PM
I have been informed on this thread from a number of obviously very knowledgeable, skillful fisherman, that they have no troubles catching not just numbers, but large sized pike without the use of baits. That is great to hear, BUT the fact remains that 200 fishermen(most just average fishing joes like most of us here, but I am sure a few out of 200 were very good, knowledgeable fishermen as well) caught ZERO scaleable fish.
While we all appreciate the attempt to reduce pressure and mortality, you cannot obviously operate a fishing derby year to year with rules in place like we had for this years Newell Derby.
Derbies create pressure on any given waterbody. That cant be avoided, it is just the nature of the beast. They need to decrease size requirements, if they want to continue with a no bait derby. Otherwise, they need to think up alternate ideas such as going back to the old rules but only holding a derby every 2-3 years to reduce pressure, or where possible, rotate the derby between a few lakes so that one lake doesnt take all the pressure year after year.(Not sure that is feasible in southeastern alberta) Not sure what the answer is, but what they attempted this year did not work as far as creating a sustainable derby.

drhook
02-20-2013, 08:12 PM
I've never heard scents are bait but I haven't looked either. (yet... now I'm going to have to see what I can find.. :))

My technique is to pound the bottom 3-5 times, a couple quick rises and drops and then slightly jig in the top of the dust if I can for between 30 secs to a minute. If it's on top of a short weed bed I'll drop it in the weeds a bit. If they come in to see what's up, jig in little motions up and sometimes they grab it then if not by the time I raise it a foot and then drop it and to encourage the strike. Then when they (and they do often lol) swim away I quickly grab something else to see if they will come back. My little table on the side of my chair has the little tackle box with 20 different spoons and rapalas ready to go. Tipping with small minnow heads seems to help and not change the action intended by the manufacture.

drhook
02-20-2013, 08:50 PM

If there is a bait ban on a body of water you aren't allowed to use things like gulp. Anything with scent I am pretty sure is considered bait here in Alberta.

You nailed it again. This must be next to impossible to enforce. Page 15 and 21 of the rules and regs...

Bait – means any substance that attracts
fish by scent or flavour and includes a lure to which scent
or flavouring has been added (See “Fishing with Bait” on page 21).

Fishing with Bait
Bait – the definition of bait (see page 15) includes, but is not restricted to:
corn, cheese, marshmallows, meat, maggots, meal worms, earthworms,
wax worms, gammarus shrimp, leeches, terrestrial insects, the larvae,
pupae or adults of aquatic insects (e.g., stonefly, mayfly, caddis fly), bait
fish, parts of fish, fish eggs, scented baits, power baits and all additives
that scent or flavour artificial baits and lures.
Bait Ban – means where bait bans are in effect only unscented lures may
be used. In specific streams, only maggots may be used as bait during certain
times of the year to allow anglers to fish for mountain whitefish with less
impact on trout populations. In specific lakes, only maggots and mealworms
may be used as bait to allow anglers to fish for perch and lake whitefish with
less impact on pike populations

02-20-2013, 10:32 PM
Do you pound the bottom every 10 second's or so untill they come, or 6 times a minuted for a few minutes then stop and wait?

Yup get some silt stirred up then wait a few minutes do it again , was with one of my pro staff guys as he shares by them I was sitting there with hareing he caught the fish I didn't .

02-20-2013, 10:35 PM

Your right but that's the law wonder if they would of said that for this derby . That's what I'm saying , who knows what I'm saying these days , once I take a pain pill I shouldn't be allowed to post , tonight haven't had one yet . Will be nice when I'm not sitting high as a kite pain free on morphine .

Mutter87
02-21-2013, 12:08 AM
Thanks man, I'll try'er out friday at Crawling Valley.

02-21-2013, 06:46 AM
Thanks man, I'll try'er out friday at Crawling Valley.

Let me know your results .

fish gunner
02-21-2013, 07:38 AM

I jig unbaited lures for pike all year . Works fine . On a large lake with depth over 80' the deep water temp does not change , ever . Every lure that works in summer works just as well in winter if it can be used vertically.
The Newell derby proves the folks on the ice on those days could not get a large pike using lures . Many large pike are caught (and lost) on wire worms intended for white fish.
We had pike on camera smashing lures from 10' away , just like summer . Yes there is a learning curve to fishing without bait , learn and success will come. Adapt, overcome, rise above .

madatter
02-21-2013, 07:58 AM
I jig unbaited lures for pike all year . Works fine . On a large lake with depth over 80' the deep water temp does not change , ever . Every lure that works in summer works just as well in winter if it can be used vertically.
The Newell derby proves the folks on the ice on those days could not get a large pike using lures . Many large pike are caught (and lost) on wire worms intended for white fish.
We had pike on camera smashing lures from 10' away , just like summer . Yes there is a learning curve to fishing without bait , learn and success will come. Adapt, overcome, rise above .

You seem to be missing the point about charity fishing derbies....
Average joe could care less about learning to catch pike with lures.
The majority won't care and won't ante up the fee to enter when they can just go there and fish how they want,there goes the charity money.
That they could learn and it can be done means squat to average joe...
Might as well not bother with the derbies....which really wouldn't bother me.

madatter
02-21-2013, 08:18 AM

You will be hard pressed to find a lake around here that's 80' deep.
Will agree on one thing tho....I have caught more pike with a jig and twister tail than any other lure,winter or summer....unbaited in summer.

fish gunner
02-21-2013, 08:56 AM
You seem to be missing the point about charity fishing derbies....
Average joe could care less about learning to catch pike with lures.
The majority won't care and won't ante up the fee to enter when they can just go there and fish how they want,there goes the charity money.
That they could learn and it can be done means squat to average joe...
Might as well not bother with the derbies....which really wouldn't bother me.

So the average Joe is not there to support the charity, they play to win ? It's fishing not catching , I guess folks just ain't up for a challenge . Not very sporting or charitable of our community . Shame really.
FUN is why I enter derbies , yes it's nice to make a good showing, however I still enjoy the weekend /day win ,place or just BSing on the ice.

Winch101
02-21-2013, 08:58 AM
No comprende. Why would the organizers even do this .

The govt isn't calling for a bait ban.....do the orgs know this is the

Wave of the future. Sawt no bait right ....someone fill us in

Winch101
02-21-2013, 09:22 AM
I read the WWF - Newell derby thread. So this is the wave of the future

The prov. no doubt would get rid of all Derbys
Weird as likely the reservoir netters kill more fish than
Any fishing derby.

New Hunter Okotoks
02-21-2013, 09:48 AM

I guess I was wrong then. 220 people just didn't try hard enough or put in enough combined time.

Are there a lot of Reservoirs with water deeper than 80 feet?

dodgeboy1979
02-21-2013, 09:51 AM

Water temp changes drastically, that is why we have spring and fall turnovers on lakes. The temp at the bottom of the lake is going to be 4 degrees as water is the heaviest at this temp, it will be close to freezing at the surface in the winter.

madatter
02-21-2013, 12:45 PM
So the average Joe is not there to support the charity, they play to win ? It's fishing not catching , I guess folks just ain't up for a challenge . Not very sporting or charitable of our community . Shame really.
FUN is why I enter derbies , yes it's nice to make a good showing, however I still enjoy the weekend /day win ,place or just BSing on the ice.

Again you don't seem to get it....
People will and have supported.....
Play to win....no play to maybe catch a fish.
What u consider a challenge,others consider a waste of time:snapoutofit:
That's the difference.
Your idea of FUN doesn't appear to be the same as most folks.

Mutter87
02-23-2013, 12:47 PM
Let me know your results .

Fished 3' to 13' then 30', caught 2 all day, the flasher showed 1. Fished from 9:30 till 7.