PDA

View Full Version : Makin' it work.

Cal
02-16-2013, 11:23 PM
Well my wife is out of town this weekend and I'm in charge of my two young daughters. I got brave and decided to try and get out on the lake for the evening bite, because one of my daughters napped untill four we got off to a bit of a late start. Being a little rushed for time I got on the lake at Canyon Creek rather than my usual place further west. The fishing at Canyon is probably not always slow, but it seems like every time I fish Canyon Creek the fishing is slow. On my way out onto the lake I asked a few fishermen how they were doing, not surprisingly it was, as usual, slow.
I punched a few holes and got a couple of lines down and then went about starting a fire. One of the selling points of an icefishing trip to a small child, in my experience, is the possibility of a weiner roast. It was at that point that I realized in my haste to get out the door I had forgotten the matches, no biggie I'd use the truck's cigarette lighter. I didnt have any paper either, I pride myself on being able to start a fire without using paper or any other shortcuts, but with the wind and the cigarette lighter I just couldnt seem to get it lit today. With the success of the trip's major event in question I had to cheat, I found an old work glove in the truck and filled it with tinder. I then lit the whole works inside the truck and let it get going pretty good before moving it outside, that did the trick.
About that time my 3 year old hooked into a fish, I figured it would be a burbot but instead we iced a nice fat walleye. Things were looking up! I had also forgotten the weiner roasting sticks so after a half dozen tries I finaly split some wood thin enough to make some short roasting sticks and then soaked them in one of the holes so they wouldnt burn. With my gheto wiener sticks I was able to cook us up a good bunch of hotdogs, my hands got a little warm though due to their short length, now if only I had a work glove:rolleye2:

bwackwabbit
02-16-2013, 11:32 PM
Awesome! Just don't be upset when they're telling that story at their weddings...lol.

Good on ya!

outandabout
02-16-2013, 11:33 PM
awesome story that your daughters will remember for a long time.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
02-16-2013, 11:52 PM
Sounds like a good evening Cal .

Rumtan
02-17-2013, 06:09 AM
Did you remember a camera?........those are the trips that stick out in a childs life. Nothing beats a trip with a parent that ends up as a memory.

cranky
02-17-2013, 08:47 AM
Good story.

At family get togethers i often over hear my adult kids talking about times they had with dad in the past. I then think yeah it was all worth it.

Now i get to do it with my grandkids.

You wont regret taking time out to do stuff like that when they are little. They grow up way to fast and life's short.

Zanzibar
02-17-2013, 08:56 AM
Sounds like a story I could have written. Nice save on the wiener roast dad!

Hunter Trav
02-17-2013, 09:02 AM
You should've asked the other fishermen in the area for a light, then you would've had a glove to hold your sticks with...lol :D

Good on a for getting out with the kids!!! :cool:

deanmc
02-17-2013, 09:08 AM
:sHa_shakeshout:Cool story. Good job Dad.

Cal
02-17-2013, 10:17 AM
You should've asked the other fishermen in the area for a light, then you would've had a glove to hold your sticks with...lol :D

Good on a for getting out with the kids!!! :cool:

Lol, that is what I was getting at... the problem is I would have had to admit I forgot the matches.

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv45/exophysical/Fishing/018-1_zps4ef3ff22.jpg

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv45/exophysical/Fishing/017-1_zps7220eb18.jpg

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv45/exophysical/Fishing/020-1_zps9e5f01e3.jpg

Hunter Trav
02-17-2013, 11:42 AM
Lol, that is what I was getting at... the problem is I would have had to admit I forgot the matches.

It takes a big man to admit to his mistakes...It takes a bigger man to cook hotdogs on a short stick burning his hands so his kids get to have their wiener roast...lol :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Great pics BTW...its hard getting out with kids that are little. Congrats again!!! :cool:

Cal
02-17-2013, 11:51 AM
On a side note, if anyone has a Nikon AW100 and knows how to make it quit being "creative" let me know. Notice that blue tint everything has? In other types of light it will do yellow, take a few more pictures and you eventualy get a normal one. Not sure if its opperator error of if this thing is just a huge POS.

pikergolf
02-17-2013, 12:01 PM
:)