PDA

View Full Version : Pike, bait set up

Kim473
02-17-2013, 09:26 AM
I tried to search for a thread but too many came up. I don't target pike but i'm gonna start. Bought the polar tip up, had some 30 lb braid in my old tackle box. Just need to know the best hooks to use or set up for holding the bait. A pic would be nice to see of the hooks or rig you use. I'm probly gonna use smelts or small heering.

Thanks in advance.

Rob S
02-17-2013, 09:29 AM
I tried to search for a thread but too many came up. I don't target pike but i'm gonna start. Bought the polar tip up, had some 30 lb braid in my old tackle box. Just need to know the best hooks to use or set up for holding the bait. A pic would be nice to see of the hooks or rig you use. I'm probly gonna use smelts or small heering.

Thanks in advance.

This is all Ive ever used :-)
Treble hook, balanced perfectly, with the shank stuck right up through just in front of the dorsal fins. Leave two hooks out either side of the smelt and the third hook right up through the baits face. Works nice for me :-)

Albertarider
02-17-2013, 09:37 AM
Had some pretty good luck using the same kind of tip up with a leader and a couple of lead shot about 6" above the bait. To bait it I would use large minnows or small smelts. I take a rather large (#3) barbless treble and force the eyelet up through the dorsal fin (( make sure it hangs level) then reattach it to the leader. I drop it down to about 8" off bottom. This sure does have its moments, the best ones are when the kids are around and you have three or four of these set up...we all turn 7 years old again running over to the flags. This set up seems to really hold them as we lose only the odd one here and there. Even the 4 year olds have no problem keeping them in the line. Good luck and enjoy the :fighting0074:
Haha...Rob S you type fast!
Thats a great pic of the setup...i didnt have one to post!

bwackwabbit
02-17-2013, 09:41 AM
This is all Ive ever used :-)
Treble hook, balanced perfectly, with the shank stuck right up through just in front of the dorsal fins. Leave two hooks out either side of the smelt and the third hook right up through the baits face. Works nice for me :-)

Same setup as above except I push the treble up through just in front of the anal fin. This way the bait faces down, a natural sign of distress in baitfish. Also try to score the bait on both sides to enhance the "injured" look. This works particularly well at this time of year right up to ice off as they prepare to spawn.

The rest of the hardwater season I agree level is best.

Kokanee9
02-17-2013, 09:43 AM
Both of the above posts have mentioned to have the smelt hanging level in the water. I agree with that because I have tried having the smelt set different ways and it does make a difference. That picture pretty well covers it.

Cal
02-17-2013, 10:22 AM
I push a big treble through the fish as pictured but I do it a bit further forward and then run a small stinger to the rear.

huntsfurfish
02-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Quick strike rig.

EZM
02-17-2013, 10:52 AM
When bait fishing for pike, or any other species for that matter, I like to use a fluorocarbon leader instead of a wire leader.

Bait fishing gives the fish "time to consider" the meal. Casting a spoon requires a quick reaction leaving less time to decide weather or not to strike.

I have a theory, the less likely a fish sees you leader, the more natural you bait will look. Less "finicky bait rejections". There have many discussion on weather or not a pike can be "spooked" by a wire leader, and some good opinions, but I'd rather eliminate the chance of a bait rejection due to a wire leader.

Fluorocarbon is almost invisible in water, provides similar bite proof protection, is easy to make up and gives a little more "flexibility" to the line to help your bait flutter and trigger a strike.

I find strike/catch rates increase significantly on those days where it is slower.

I use a similar set up with;
- two circle hooks on a medium size 3"-5" bait
- and 3 circle hooks on a 6"-10" larger bait, like herring, for pike.

Kim473
02-17-2013, 01:05 PM
OK, thanks all !
I tied two 8" leaders to the 30lb braid and put a treble hook on each. I will be able to put one hook near the head of my bait and one near the tail. I think I should be good to go. Unless thats too many hooks on one line? Can you confirm that's ok.

Eddy62
02-17-2013, 02:11 PM
I push a big treble through the fish as pictured but I do it a bit further forward and then run a small stinger to the rear.

i love using stingers

Rob S
02-17-2013, 02:57 PM
Now all there is left to do is get out there and catch a monster. Then you can post a picture and we can all argue and spat back and forth on the validity if your claims :argue2:
Gawd I love outdoorsing and all of you too! :bad_boys_20:

cube
02-17-2013, 03:37 PM
OK, thanks all !
I tied two 8" leaders to the 30lb braid and put a treble hook on each. I will be able to put one hook near the head of my bait and one near the tail. I think I should be good to go. Unless thats too many hooks on one line? Can you confirm that's ok.

You can use 3 hooks. Each treble counts as 1 hook (treble has 1 common shaft so counts as 1 hook)

Just to clarify in your case you will be fine, you could even add one more treble.

You might want to take a look at some British Pike fishing websites they have this down to a bit of a science.