PDA

View Full Version : Where to fish for Golden Trout?

boowhup
02-17-2013, 12:56 PM
Looking for a place to fish for Golden trout. I heard that i may need to hike into some backcountry lakes in the Crowsnest Pass somewhere. Any past experiences??

Thanks

Mutter87
02-17-2013, 01:23 PM
Its a lake by Banff, I think its a 14km hike, but I could be wrong.

The lake is "michele lake". Google that or search it here on AO.

Edit : http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/canada/can306.php

Definatly a hard trip to get into. I want to do it tho, with a Helicopter.

Brent_reid
02-17-2013, 01:27 PM
On Golden Ponds haha Im sorry I really couldnt help myself

baptiste_moose
02-17-2013, 01:43 PM
Cline river( feeder for abraham ) has a small creek running into it called Coral creek. 22 km up this creek is a lake called Pinto lake. I have been there but have never caught a Golden. They are in there. 22 km hike is a LONG 1 day in. We did it over 4 days. spent 2 at Pinto. Beautiful though!!

Mutter87
02-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Cline river( feeder for abraham ) has a small creek running into it called Coral creek. 22 km up this creek is a lake called Pinto lake. I have been there but have never caught a Golden. They are in there. 22 km hike is a LONG 1 day in. We did it over 4 days. spent 2 at Pinto. Beautiful though!!

Is there an ATV trail? Or an old bush road?

fishman
02-17-2013, 02:19 PM

Pinto lake has been closed for over 20 years and it has cutts in it that is where all your stocking cutts eggs come from

AppleJax
02-17-2013, 02:48 PM

No, Hike in, equestrian, or Helicopter access. Built a bridge on Waterfall creek when I was in the JFR. Beautiful area!

littlered
02-17-2013, 03:15 PM
Job Lake is up Coral. It is the Cutthroat lake. Pinto is further west on the Cline. It i believe is Dolly's or Bull trout. Both have been closed for a long time to angling. Michelle lake(s) have golden trout.

thumper
02-17-2013, 03:32 PM
In the area you're referring to, just east of the northern part of Banff National Park, Golden trout are only found in the Michele Lakes, and Coral Lake. Both are long, difficult multi-day hikes, or you can fly in to either and get dropped off for the day with Icefield Helicopters - which stage near the David Thompson Resort on Abraham Lake (reservoir).
I've never been to Coral Lake, but the Michele Lakes can be easily fished from shore using small, dark nymphs. No need to pack in a float tube! It's above treeline, so be prepared for 'mountain weather'.

Although the gold colour of Golden trout is immediately recognizable to the eye - and make for a unique and very beautiful fish, it's difficult to catch the shimmering gold hue on camera. Take the time to consider the light and set up your camera carefully to capture the colour! I regret that I didn't do that when I was there.

waynep
02-17-2013, 03:45 PM
I believe the lakes you are looking for are very close to west castle ski area. There are 2 or 3 lakes in the era that you need to hike into. Barnaby ridge and rainy ridge.
Wayne

whitetail Junkie
02-17-2013, 04:37 PM
I believe the lakes you are looking for are very close to west castle ski area. There are 2 or 3 lakes in the era that you need to hike into. Barnaby ridge and rainy ridge.
Wayne

X2...The middle lake at barnaby...Im heading up there this August me thinks...

Fisher_man#1
02-17-2013, 05:49 PM
some previous threads about these amazing looking trout, with pictures.
search for them, here ill get you started....http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=144589&highlight=golden+trout

Cheers,

baptiste_moose
02-17-2013, 05:50 PM

2 feet and heart beat my friend

It must be job lake I was thinking of. It's been a long time. No goldens caught because I guess there's none in there. My bad. Sorry for bad info.

Dorin

Gordoats26
02-17-2013, 06:31 PM
Lost guide lake I belive has them I never caught one thou.

Fishnafterwork
02-17-2013, 09:18 PM
Anywhere u plan on finding goldens is going to be a long hard hike in... Goldens are the pinnacle of all of Alberta's fish and only reside in a few remote alpine lakes.... They will b small and the most skidish fish u ever met... But if y tie into one ( of any size)... It will be a trophy of a life time ...:)

tight line
02-17-2013, 10:49 PM
Have been to michele by chopper was 300ish a piece, pack super light, they charge you for weight, went aug. 1st, +25 on the ground, + 2 and snowing up top, dont count on making a fire or anything, way above the tree line! Caught about 10-12 each, biggest maybe 14" got them on stimulators, and nymphs. When the sun came out they were rising. Very finicky. VERY beatiful! Fyi only the bottom lake has fish in it! We didn't know, fished a good hour or two before going to the bottom lol, the lakes are connected by a creek/waterfall, you are not allowed to fish the creek! My avatar pic was the coolest looking one i caught! Some of the smaller ones were almost transparent looking! Was a good day!

thumper
02-17-2013, 10:51 PM
Great article on Golden Trout fishing in Alberta:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/canada/can306.php

Steven Noel
02-18-2013, 09:00 AM
I've hiked into both Michele Lakes and Coral Lake, if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Here are threads about the trips.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=103176
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=144589

:wave:

Steven

bessiedog
02-18-2013, 10:25 AM
The lakes by Castle ski area are up Barnaby Ridge.
There's a flagged trail across west castle river, ask local random campers, theyll know where.
There's three lakes up there and there's fish in all 3. Most people fish the middle lake, though I know I saw a big one in the first, and caught out of the third.
It's pretty tough fishing.

Nice camping up there if its not windy. Bring bear spray and binos ( for the sheep).
The pikas are plentiful and noisy.

This hike isn't easy for some. You are going up a mountain. You'll love the hike.

There's another lake past the ski lodge.. It's called Rainey ridge lake, I've never been to it, but there's a sign by the trailhead. I go by it when i head for huckleberries.
I hear the fishing is good there.
I'm going to hit either of these lakes this August. It's been a while.

Goldens are awsome!

You earn your fish.

Mutter87
02-18-2013, 10:32 AM
Is it only Fly gear, or could you have success with ultra light gear to?

bessiedog
02-18-2013, 10:38 AM
Good question.

I think if you had a clear bobber and a chronomid a couple feet under, you might get one.

They seem to be pretty picky when I was there.

No bait up there for sure.

That dont stop some guys....

Mutt if you can do the hike. You can join me and my kids in aug, or I can show you the trail head.

It's a good up hike. Very worth it.

chriscosta
02-18-2013, 11:11 AM
funny I see this thread I lotterally just watched outdoor passion on wfn and they had some golden trout that had to be ten pounds , too bad there were alot on stringers dead what a gorgous fish and I had no idea they got big like that

Dust1n
02-18-2013, 05:09 PM
funny I see this thread I lotterally just watched outdoor passion on wfn and they had some golden trout that had to be ten pounds , too bad there were alot on stringers dead what a gorgous fish and I had no idea they got big like that

differnt goldens. Those were golden rainbows

chriscosta
02-18-2013, 06:33 PM
oh lol sry thought a golden trout was a golden rainbow my bad but damn those were sweet fish

goldentrout
02-19-2013, 07:12 AM
Best bet is rainy ridge but very difficult to find. Have caught many fly fishing but also on small spinning gear.
PM me and we can set up a trip for the summer.