PDA

View Full Version : Open Fires on Lakes

Seymour
02-17-2013, 08:26 PM
Would anyone be able to tell me if there are any regulations regarding open fires on lakes? I am planning on taking my son to Spray Lakes by Canmore tomorrow and he asked if we could roast hot dogs while we are fishing. I can't find anything in the fishing regulations pertaining to this and I am unsure where else I would look.

Thank you for any information regarding this.

mattybca
02-17-2013, 08:36 PM
We bring a metal bucket to contain the fire works great.easy to put out that way too.

pope
02-17-2013, 08:44 PM
Take a stove or portable bq. A lot less work than hauling wood out and no mess. Amazing some of the crap some guys leave on the ice after their fire.

bubba 96
02-17-2013, 08:49 PM
Here we go again, if ya do a forum search plenty of info.....
Search for the fire and ice thread...

Albertafisher
02-17-2013, 09:00 PM

Maybe he doesn't have the time, let him ask.

bubba 96
02-17-2013, 09:08 PM
Maybe he doesn't have the time, let him ask.

Was answering lots of info on it already

Fil_Can_Yakker
02-17-2013, 09:40 PM
Was answering lots of info on it already

if you dont want to answer inquiries then just keep your mouth shut:argue2:

SCHOOCH
02-17-2013, 09:53 PM
derailed question once again...........:confused0024: just a simple question!! I like the bucket idea but we bring a portable bbq usually. Sounds like the lil guy likes the fire and stick idea so make it happen for him!!!!!!

Chisholm77
02-17-2013, 10:02 PM
Saw a pile of firewood left on the ice at spray yesterday. Didn't see any traces of the actual fire so it was either blown away by the crazy winds or they brought some type of portable pit with them.

anthony5
02-17-2013, 10:09 PM
In most cases YES:sHa_shakeshout: just make sure all remnants of the fire are removed and you won't get any ones gonch in a knot:argue2:
Simple answer.

bubba 96
02-17-2013, 10:16 PM
In most cases YES:sHa_shakeshout: just make sure all remnants of the fire are removed and you won't get any ones gonch in a knot:argue2:
Simple answer.

And this is why I said search the other threads, because of the at least 10 other times asked, there is a whole lot of poopyness, just trying to avoid the same situation once again, and just because it's not the answer people were looking for they attack...also a member since 2009 with 6 posts, sound like someone was stirring the pot yet again...
some guys need to get out fishing, and get out of there musty smelling basements..

BeeGuy
02-17-2013, 10:17 PM
a fire directly on the ice leaves toxic substances to eventually enter the lake.

Take care of our lakes and contain your fire.

It's that simple.

Heavy K
02-18-2013, 10:31 AM
With regards to your particular situation, Spray Lake is in a Provincial Park. Fires are not allowed outside of designated fire pits in Provincial Parks. If you want the COs coming to pay you a visit out on the ice, having a fire would be a real good way to do it. They may not be very happy though.

Common sense would dictate that they would turn a blind eye to a "no-trace" fire in a contained, removeable receptacle, in the middle of a frozen lake. However, I warn you that some of them can be pretty *****ly up there, and I have seen them hassle people for far less.

HK

Albertafisher
02-18-2013, 02:23 PM
I believe it is legal, but it is ILLEGAL to take wood from a forested area. Ergo supply your own wood.
Having the first directly on the ice is actually fine for the environment, but your fire will slowly burn out because the wood soaks up the water.

winger7mm
02-18-2013, 05:14 PM
Dont burn pallets, most people wont pick up there wood mess, and pallets dont burn completely leaving nails sticking out of the wood, sucks running over a partially burnt board with a nail in under the snow.

baptiste_moose
02-18-2013, 07:30 PM
Had one today. If it doesn't all burn up there's some drift wood and dust that goes into the lake. Don't see that to be problem. Worse stuff comes off a trucks mud flaps from the drive to the lake. IMO. Sure nice to have a hot flame and a grilled moose smokie!!

D4l3k
02-18-2013, 08:28 PM
I drove over a nail from a burnt pallet on the ice that got snowed over, so please don't burn pallets

Cal
02-18-2013, 08:31 PM
a fire directly on the ice leaves toxic substances to eventually enter the lake.

Take care of our lakes and contain your fire.

It's that simple.

Hmm, sombody better go tell the fish in Slave Lake that their dead. I bring a few 2x6's and build my fire on them, keeps the fire hot and makes a great coal bed. I make my fires pretty small, like cowboy hat sized, and split my wood small enough that it will burn thoroughly. On the bodys of water that I fish I dont feel that the few remaining coals are a problem. I could see on a small body of water that gets heavily fished people would need to be more carefull.

Dont burn pallets unless you are on your own propperty, ever! One good pallet fire and any vehical drives over the area, or kid that plays there is going to be at risk for the next decade or so.

fish99
02-18-2013, 09:10 PM
was at gull lake on saturday, and there was a large mess left by someone with a large fire.

Mike_W
02-19-2013, 07:16 AM

You know I hate this reply ..... This is a forum with thousands and thousands of threads to which almost every thinkable question has already been asked. So the reply "use the search function" could be used for almost every question asked!

I don't know the legalities of it but as mentioned don't use scrap wood with any nails it it (not that you would want to cool over that anyway) and I like the bucket or small pit idea to contain the coals/mess and dispose of that safely on shore!

Dacotensis
02-19-2013, 10:09 AM
Carry one of these crusher cones. Only about 500 lb.:)
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=156393

Also a tractor rim roles nicely to your spot, you can stuff it full of gear on your way home.

travrgtr
02-19-2013, 03:52 PM
Burn away brother. Just take your mess. Can't believe the amount of crap on the ice around birch bay at gull.

If you own a dodge, just take off the hood and use that under your fire. Can't make your truck look any worse than it does already.

bubba 96
02-19-2013, 04:17 PM
You know I hate this reply ..... This is a forum with thousands and thousands of threads to which almost every thinkable question has already been asked. So the reply "use the search function" could be used for almost every question asked!

I don't know the legalities of it but as mentioned don't use scrap wood with any nails it it (not that you would want to cool over that anyway) and I like the bucket or small pit idea to contain the coals/mess and dispose of that safely on shore!

I even gave the title of the post "fire and ice" not that hard to find..

Here all the works done
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=154383

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
02-19-2013, 05:00 PM
if you dont want to answer inquiries then just keep your mouth shut:argue2:

Hey hot shot , why is the a search function then . He's clearly stating with a 10 second search he will find all sorts of information on the subject . Why have 8000 threads about the same thing .