PDA

View Full Version : Fly outfit for pike?

rottik9
02-18-2013, 02:14 PM
I would like some help in picking my new fly outfit for pike. I have never fished pike on a fly, just trout and salmon. I would like to know what rod reel, line and mostly leader and tippet? Thank you for reading.

Joe

huntsfurfish
02-18-2013, 02:22 PM
Thinking 8-9 wt rod. I use an 8wt.
Better info should be along soon.

EZM
02-18-2013, 03:38 PM
A good large arbor reel with a palming ring and drag is a nice thing to have.

There are tippets/leaders for toothy critters but you can also use flouro leader material - shorter than a typical tipplet on a heavier streamer or bead head. Pike are not as easily spooked with a dirty cast or a ugly splash.

I used the "junior angler kit" (weight forward sink tip)....lol .....worked great.

It's been years since I fly fished for pike but a hammer handle is a blast .........

flyguyd
02-18-2013, 03:49 PM
I use an 8 wt Scott for mine with a custom tied handmade leader with 16in of wire leader at the end

bobalong
02-18-2013, 04:17 PM
I have an 8 and 9 wt I use for pike. Use floating line most of the time. I do not get fancy with leaders, I tie about a 2 or 3 ft piece of 30 lb braid on the end of the flyline and then just tie on a regular style titanium leader.

Albertafisher
02-18-2013, 04:54 PM
Standard pike rods are 8wt-10wt. I personally have a 9wt, it does the job. Larger arbor reel would be beneficial, but its not ABSOLUTELY crucial because the chances of a pike spooling you are so slim.
Good lines are Rio Pike, Power Fly, or Outbound Short. All of them are floating lines and have a heavy taper so you can turn over 10"+ flies.
Leader you can buy pre-made pike/musky leaders for $3-$10 each. Or you can make your own by purchasing Wire Tippet and heavy mono/flouro.

Dust1n
02-18-2013, 05:06 PM
I would recomend a 8wt. Large arbors would be best to pick up the fly line in a hurry and fight the fish on the reel but the strong majority of the pike you will catch will probibly be stripped in. Get floating its deffinitly the most versitile line you can have on the lake whether its top water or sub surface it will get the job done. Get some 80lb flouro suffix and make your own leaders. I dont recoment wire tippet or heavy mono because it gets damanged too easly and the wire will bend on the fish fish unless you buy some titanuim ones. Dont go overboard with a 10wt and 10" flies. Making that many casts with those flies will make it a long boring day. 6wt with
4-5" flies do the trick and in spring you dont want big flies anyway. In lakes I use my 8wt with 80lb suffix flouro with larger flies depending on the season. There is no pike that a 8wt cant handle within reason.

Albertafisher
02-18-2013, 05:21 PM
I would recomend a 8wt. Large arbors would be best to pick up the fly line in a hurry and fight the fish on the reel but the strong majority of the pike you will catch will probibly be stripped in. Get floating its deffinitly the most versitile line you can have on the lake whether its top water or sub surface it will get the job done. Get some 80lb flouro suffix and make your own leaders. I dont recoment wire tippet or heavy mono because it gets damanged too easly and the wire will bend on the fish fish unless you buy some titanuim ones. Dont go overboard with a 10wt and 10" flies. Making that many casts with those flies will make it a long boring day. 6wt with
4-5" flies do the trick and in spring you dont want big flies anyway. In lakes I use my 8wt with 80lb suffix flouro with larger flies depending on the season. There is no pike that a 8wt cant handle within reason.

I love throwing monster flies for monster fish :)

Moosetalker
02-18-2013, 06:29 PM
8wt My Fav way to go
:sHa_shakeshout:

flygirrl
02-18-2013, 07:25 PM
I would like some help in picking my new fly outfit for pike. I have never fished pike on a fly, just trout and salmon. I would like to know what rod reel, line and mostly leader and tippet? Thank you for reading.

Joe

If your already set up for fly fishing for salmon than that rod and reel should do. As recommended some good heavy leader material would be the only expense. And flies of course. I use my 8 weight for pike, it's the same rod I used for Atlantic salmon.

drifter
02-18-2013, 08:37 PM
I like a 7wt

NUK SOO KOW
02-19-2013, 12:20 AM
8wt for me! Been doing it for years, its some of the best fun you can have with a flyrod! Especially when they are hitting topwater!!

drifter
02-19-2013, 08:12 PM
Get ready.
Because once you start fishing pike on the fly a whole new obsession takes over.

rottik9
02-19-2013, 09:20 PM
Tank you for the feedback, I will be shopping this weekend. The only part I an not feeling sure on is, is the tip attached to the leader basically a steel leader?

Joe

Albertafisher
02-19-2013, 09:33 PM
Tank you for the feedback, I will be shopping this weekend. The only part I an not feeling sure on is, is the tip attached to the leader basically a steel leader?

Joe

Well there are many styles and opinions on leaders. It can be a steel leader, wire tippet, or heavy flourocarbon (what I use mostly). What ever fits your fancy.

huntsfurfish
02-20-2013, 05:23 AM
Thought they would have moved this thread by now:)