PDA

View Full Version : Utikuma Ice (Truck through)

Kevwood
02-18-2013, 02:33 PM
Don't know any details, but this was taken yesterday at Utikuma...careful if you are heading out anywhere lots of flood water on most north lakes...

257wbyhunter
02-18-2013, 02:37 PM
that hole looks so square it almost makes me think that where someone was pulling nets from.

Dacotensis
02-18-2013, 02:58 PM
Company truck.
I'll bet there is a whole new set of rules heading for that company.
Maybe there allready are.

last minute
02-18-2013, 03:11 PM
Dacotensis Company truck.
Maybe there allready are. YAHH X2 Agreed and maybe a job opening

Bigwoodsman
02-18-2013, 03:14 PM
Company truck.

Somebody has some explaining to do!

:sEm_oops2:

BW

EZM
02-18-2013, 03:29 PM
Company truck.

I was just thinking the exact same thing ......lol.......... there was a time when our company trucks were hauling travel trailers and boats all over.

Then one jack@$$ cut off our vice president with his 5th wheel and ruins everything.

Memo went out the very next day ............ lol.

THERICARDO
02-18-2013, 03:40 PM
Drive a company truck also as was like damn thats not going to go over well... I take my truck fishing all the time but have been instructed that insurance won't cover it goes through the ice...

Hopefully his insurance is going to cover it... sucks

Dacotensis
02-18-2013, 05:45 PM
YAHH X2 Agreed and maybe a job opening:sHa_sarcasticlol:
That's a good chuckle:)

BeeGuy
02-18-2013, 06:11 PM
"Total" Fail

Big Red 250
02-18-2013, 06:28 PM
that hole looks so square it almost makes me think that where someone was pulling nets from.

I've seen lots of nets being lifted and never saw a hole anywhere near that big or that square being used. I'd say that shape and size is from the front of the truck going threw. Better him than me anyways.

rm206
02-18-2013, 06:34 PM
Story I heard was the front wheel fell through and when they tried to pull it out the front end broke through.

emoric
02-18-2013, 06:50 PM
how thick was ice? how rotten is it already

baptiste_moose
02-18-2013, 07:18 PM
All joking aside thats really too bad. Gets in trouble?? doing the things he loves. Harsh reality. I notice the ice got softer and softer all weekend. Heavy snow coming up the auger instead of fluffy white pow by today and fished 3 dif lakes.

pikeslayer22
02-18-2013, 07:55 PM
Ooh! That's got to suck!

Fil_Can_Yakker
02-18-2013, 08:03 PM
be safe out there guys!!

Cal
02-18-2013, 08:29 PM
Don't know any details, but this was taken yesterday at Utikuma...careful if you are heading out anywhere lots of flood water on most north lakes...

Crappy deal but thats been waiting to happen all year on that lake.

Kim473
02-19-2013, 02:31 AM
be safe out there guys!!

X2 ,

We need a couple of weeks of -25 -30 again, grrrrrrrrr what am I saying?

waterninja
02-19-2013, 03:17 AM
what a bummer. some employees are encouraged or even required to drive the co. truck at all times in case of an emergency or urgent service call. for all we know he might even be the owner of the co. looks like everyone should have got out saftley which is good.
it does look like a nice square piece of ice was cut out at some earlier date.

bardfromedson
02-19-2013, 12:50 PM
falling through sucks. been there done that.....but hows the fishing up there?

Shmag
02-19-2013, 01:27 PM
Company truck.

I doubt it....its the oilfield in northern alberta. Chances are the company didnt even blink an eye. If a customer that might spend 5 mil there wants to go fishing, these guys will accomadate. Thats how we roll.

My co-workers and i sunk a company (oilfield) truck yrs ago, a 2 month old dodge. Not including the recovery the truck damages came out to $ 27,000. When we broke the news to the boss...he asked if we changed our shorts before sitting in his office...then he laughed and nothing else was ever said...well other than the odd joke thrown our way...

Shmag
02-19-2013, 01:30 PM
falling through sucks. been there done that.....but hows the fishing up there?

Utik has got my number this year, worst fishing i have seen there in about 25 yrs. I dont think im the only one as anyone i talked with is having the same results. Last yr was probably my best yr, followed by my worst this yr.

B_Type13X2
02-19-2013, 05:44 PM
I doubt it....its the oilfield in northern alberta. Chances are the company didnt even blink an eye. If a customer that might spend 5 mil there wants to go fishing, these guys will accomadate. Thats how we roll.

My co-workers and i sunk a company (oilfield) truck yrs ago, a 2 month old dodge. Not including the recovery the truck damages came out to $ 27,000. When we broke the news to the boss...he asked if we changed our shorts before sitting in his office...then he laughed and nothing else was ever said...well other than the odd joke thrown our way...

Company trucks are a write off for the company so they don't really care that much. My welding truck is leased so I basically write the payment off on my taxes, that being said I would still be somewhat ****ed if it went through for the sheer inconvenience factor.

D4l3k
02-19-2013, 09:01 PM
That sucks

Stinky Buffalo
02-20-2013, 07:55 AM
"Boss, I think the engine is flooded..." :eek:

That sucks

Indeed. Hope there's not too much damage.

Cal
02-20-2013, 12:02 PM
LOL... A guy at work just showed me a picture of a front end loader that apparently went through the ice trying to rescue this guy. Can anyone verify this?

Hey I've got an idea, lets send out a Cat to rescue the loader! See if we can get a big "The old lady who swallowed a fly" kinda thing going on out there :snapoutofit:

Dark
02-20-2013, 01:00 PM
Ya it was a tractor backhoe, my cousin is part of the recovery team.

BobLoblaw
02-20-2013, 01:04 PM
Company trucks are a write off for the company so they don't really care that much. My welding truck is leased so I basically write the payment off on my taxes, that being said I would still be somewhat ****ed if it went through for the sheer inconvenience factor.

http://youtu.be/upifaeK0B5U

Alberta Redneck
02-20-2013, 01:09 PM

You must mean this picture. The recovery mission has now involved a helicopter, nothing short of a $25,000.00 bill

AdamJ
02-20-2013, 01:17 PM

You must mean this picture. The recovery mission has now involved a helicopter, nothing short of a $25,000.00 bill

Ouch.

Stinky Buffalo
02-20-2013, 01:20 PM
Oh no! That's awful.

Cal
02-20-2013, 02:20 PM

I just gotta wonder... who's idea was it to send the hoe out there without matting? No offence to buddy's cousin but seems like poor planning to me, I admit I'm no expert though.

browning375
02-20-2013, 02:42 PM

Your company must make too much money then, If it was one of my guys they would lose their job forsure! $25000.00 is nothing to sneeze at, especially in these times, when guys are running tight margins to compete for work. A $25000.00 hit could cost other guys their jobs as well, especially this close to breakup, thats a few salaries that could be paid for!

Jamie Black R/T
02-20-2013, 03:03 PM
I just gotta wonder... who's idea was it to send the hoe out there without matting? No offence to buddy's cousin but seems like poor planning to me, I admit I'm no expert though.

x2!!

a half ton truck broke through....but the backhoe will be fine??

unreal.

Dark
02-20-2013, 03:05 PM
apparently the guy put down one rig matt drove the hoe on it and down it went.

EZM
02-20-2013, 03:28 PM
Send in a pontoon boat !!!!!!

Alberta Redneck
02-20-2013, 03:32 PM
I am having a hard time trying to figure out, why in the hell would you take a backhoe onto ice that can't hold a pick up.

dodgeboy1979
02-20-2013, 03:52 PM
can't fix stupid.

EZM
02-20-2013, 03:55 PM
I am having a hard time trying to figure out, why in the hell would you take a backhoe onto ice that can't hold a pick up.

Considering a backhoe, even a smaller one like that one probably weighs 3-4 times what the truck does................ yup ............... pretty sketchy maneuver.

nekred
02-20-2013, 03:58 PM
Dumb and Dumber... can't wait for the sequel/...

cube
02-20-2013, 04:05 PM

Just wondering if you knew how deep the water is wherethe truck went trough?

Hunter Trav
02-20-2013, 04:16 PM
Judging by how far down the backhoe went, not very deep. 4' at most by the looks of the pics. I could be wrong though...

topgun
02-20-2013, 04:22 PM
Guess I better go look and see. Seems like lots of people guessing with half a story.

EZM
02-20-2013, 06:45 PM

Looks like the recovery team needs a recovery team !!!!

B_Type13X2
02-20-2013, 07:19 PM
Looks like the recovery team needs a recovery team !!!!

Don't worry I'll Send a recovery team for the recovery team for the recovery team for the recovery team.

Cal
02-20-2013, 08:00 PM
Don't worry I'll Send a recovery team for the recovery team for the recovery team for the recovery team.

I think the only logical solution is to send in a D-12, probably wont need any mats.

Brent_reid
02-20-2013, 08:04 PM
D-12 would be good with pads and a 1000 yd winch

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
02-20-2013, 08:23 PM
Maybe they'll try a crane next lmao wow horrible .

harrydude
02-20-2013, 08:43 PM
Well best bet is call Brooks towing. And yes they will travel... They know there stuff. They took the trucks out of Badger last year and did it with no issues

1bluZebec
02-20-2013, 10:52 PM
The heavy Chevy

ice
02-21-2013, 09:13 AM
That's strange was there, a few weeks back, was lots of good ice. And flood water. Terrible fishing
That's too bad. I wonder if he drove over that underground stream

Drewski Canuck
02-21-2013, 09:58 AM
Isn't there a country song along this line? It all ends up in a drinking party anyway.

WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE NOW is to get some Cyclone pumps out to build the ice FROM UP TOP. Then, lay down the matting, and do the recovery using I beams to skid both up and out. It is plenty cold at night to build up a couple feet of ice over a large area pretty quick. Probably two nights of flooding and you will be done. Even a Honda trash pump with a 3 inch hose will flood the area really quick and deep.

Just remember to put some 2 x 12s to dam the area in front of the vehicles to be recovered, or you will have a huge popsicle to pull up.

Just my 2 cents, and no worse than what has been tried so far.

Drewski

cube
02-21-2013, 10:55 AM
Judging by how far down the backhoe went, not very deep. 4' at most by the looks of the pics. I could be wrong though...

That's what I was thinking. Perhaps some others could chime in here but I don't like driving over shallow water. All the vehicles that have gone through and been posted on the forum always seem to be going through in shallow water.

I would think that creek inflows, springs, beaver runs etc. have a much greater effect in shallow water, hence I don't drive there. (except to get on and off)

What are your thoughts.

Dark
02-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Isn't there a country song along this line? It all ends up in a drinking party anyway.

WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE NOW is to get some Cyclone pumps out to build the ice FROM UP TOP. Then, lay down the matting, and do the recovery using I beams to skid both up and out. It is plenty cold at night to build up a couple feet of ice over a large area pretty quick. Probably two nights of flooding and you will be done. Even a Honda trash pump with a 3 inch hose will flood the area really quick and deep.

Just remember to put some 2 x 12s to dam the area in front of the vehicles to be recovered, or you will have a huge popsicle to pull up.

Just my 2 cents, and no worse than what has been tried so far.

Drewski

Thats exactly what they are doing. My cousin is in the ice making buisness.

pikeslayer22
02-21-2013, 01:59 PM
That's what I was thinking. Perhaps some others could chime in here but I don't like driving over shallow water. All the vehicles that have gone through and been posted on the forum always seem to be going through in shallow water.

I would think that creek inflows, springs, beaver runs etc. have a much greater effect in shallow water, hence I don't drive there. (except to get on and off)

What are your thoughts.
My thoughts are you probably never hear from the guys that fall through in the deep stuff "ha ha" If i had to fall through i would take the 4 foot depth rather than the 100 foot! But i know what you mean ice usally is the weakest from the outside in.

baptiste_moose
02-21-2013, 02:29 PM
The prob is the flood water. If the water won't freeze because it's being unsillated and is staying warm. Therefor it's eating away at the ice. If you not part of the solution your part of the problem type deal.

Jmaccan
02-21-2013, 02:44 PM
I think the only logical solution is to send in a D-12, probably wont need any mats.

What's a D12? Is it a joke about using something bigger than a CAT D11 (which would definitly break through) or am I missing something?

baptiste_moose
02-21-2013, 02:48 PM
What's a D12? Is it a joke about using something bigger than a CAT D11 (which would definitly break through) or am I missing something?

It was a joke man. Keep it cool homie!:sSig_cool2:

Jmaccan
02-21-2013, 02:52 PM
It was a joke man. Keep it cool homie!:sSig_cool2:

Ok, good, I was worried I was missing out on something cool, that's why I asked.

Thanks.

Cal
02-21-2013, 05:14 PM

Just putting 2 and 2 togeather here but was this a Be Rescued towing opperation?

Dark
02-21-2013, 07:27 PM
Just putting 2 and 2 togeather here but was this a Be Rescued towing opperation?

Don't Know what you mean. The guy hit a soft spot with his truck, perhaps a under ground spring or maybe a methane bubble.
He then went and got a backhoe to try and lift the front end out and thats when the hoe went down.

Shmag
02-21-2013, 07:45 PM
Don't Know what you mean. The guy hit a soft spot with his truck, perhaps a under ground spring or maybe a methane bubble.
He then went and got a backhoe to try and lift the front end out and thats when the hoe went down.

Think Cal was just wondering if Be Rescued towing company was doing the recovery. And i am wondering if that is Doug's truck

Brent_reid
02-21-2013, 07:52 PM
Was just a joke notice the 1000 feet of winch cable could prob pull it right fromn shore with that once front end is supported

Cal
02-21-2013, 09:20 PM
Think Cal was just wondering if Be Rescued towing company was doing the recovery. And i am wondering if that is Doug's truck

Ya just thinking, hell of a hoe opperator, now owns Be Rescued, hope thats not his hoe there! I did some abandonments with him back in the day and that guy could make a hoe dance, dont know if anyone can make them swim though

Kim473
02-22-2013, 05:39 AM

Thats too funny. I would be afraid to walk to the front of the truck, never mind anything that weighs a few thousand lbs.

waitinforfall
02-22-2013, 08:19 AM
wow, thats crazy, i fish that lake quite often. We noticed a month ago that the ice was not to good and and stuck to machines this year. Scary stuff!

Dacotensis
02-22-2013, 11:38 AM
Sounds like the op of this thread http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=163034&highlight=Abandoned+equipment
Might be lurking on the shore.:shark:

Welcome to the forum waitingforfall.
Why not introduce yourself in the GD section?

sourdough doug
02-22-2013, 01:06 PM

Yeah, From what I have heard, it was DK's truck...

TROLLER
02-22-2013, 06:50 PM

I wish I had a buck for everytime I have seen that picture pop up on the internet or through emails.

Starting to get a little old me thinks.

Dark
02-23-2013, 07:12 AM
They got the truck out yesterday. The winched it out with about 2000 yards of cable

crown royal 17
02-25-2013, 10:55 AM
Dougie has been fishing in these parts all of his life . It was just one of those freak accidents .Glad he is okay. :sHa_shakeshout:

Dark
02-25-2013, 01:30 PM
who's idea was it to use the backhoe. To me it looked like a minor winching operation until the hoe went thru.

Shmag
02-26-2013, 05:53 AM
Dougie has been fishing in these parts all of his life . It was just one of those freak accidents .Glad he is okay. :sHa_shakeshout:

X2...Doug knows the lake. Not sure where abouts on the lake this happened, guessing towards the small island. Could of happened to anyone as i seen alot of trucks breaking trail there.

Anyways...hope someone had the sense to ribbon the whole area off...Did they get the hoe out as well ?

Cal
02-27-2013, 06:34 PM
who's idea was it to use the backhoe. To me it looked like a minor winching operation until the hoe went thru.

Ok, the story as I have got it from my wife, who plays hockey with Doug's sister is as follows...

Doug, in a bit of a freak happening, went through the ice with his company truck after being specificly told not to use it for ice fishing. Not wanting the company to find out, he called someone he knew who was opperating the hoe in the area to get him out. Apparently the owner of the hoe had no clue that it was being used to rescue the truck... and the rest is history. These guys are legends now, that picture graces the wall of many a dog house and field office throughout the north.

Like I said, just the story as I heard it.

Dark
02-28-2013, 06:04 AM
Ok, the story as I have got it from my wife, who plays hockey with Doug's sister is as follows...

Doug, in a bit of a freak happening, went through the ice with his company truck after being specificly told not to use it for ice fishing. Not wanting the company to find out, he called someone he knew who was opperating the hoe in the area to get him out. Apparently the owner of the hoe had no clue that it was being used to rescue the truck... and the rest is history. These guys are legends now, that picture graces the wall of many a dog house and field office throughout the north.

Thats the same story I heard

Cal
02-28-2013, 08:28 PM
Thats the same story I heard

I suspect the "Help Wanted" section of the local paper might have a few more adds than usual this week. Once again keeping in mind that my information came from the locker room of a women's hockey team.

Kim473
03-01-2013, 06:01 AM
I suspect the "Help Wanted" section of the local paper might have a few more adds than usual this week. Once again keeping in mind that my information came from the locker room of a women's hockey team.

You looking thru that little hole again ? :sEm_oops2:

Lefty-Canuck
03-01-2013, 08:25 AM

And this kids is why you listen to your parents and never tell a lie.....the end.

LC

B_Type13X2
03-01-2013, 01:36 PM
And this kids is why you listen to your parents and never tell a lie.....the end.

LC

Your wrong...

This kids is why when you tell a lie you never leave any witnesses. You report the truck stolen break a window, Damage the steering column with a flat head screw driver. Get a solid alibi etc...

Oh crap I've said too much.