PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly debate comes up again

Grizzly Adams
02-18-2013, 06:29 PM
Caught wind of this on the radio this morning. Apparently there is pressure from ranchers in south west Alberta to re-open the hunt. Part that raised my eye brows was the announcers claim that there were 1100 Grizzlies in the area, when you factored in the cross border migratory habits of the bears. :confused:

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/Debate+emerges+Alberta+grizzly+bear+hunt/7980342/story.html

Grizz

H380
02-18-2013, 07:15 PM
Funny how international attention is determining if a hunt could be implemented .. hmmmm..:thinking-006:

Elko
02-18-2013, 08:03 PM
So if the population of bears is doing well in the more populated part of the province, and an area heavily used by industry and recreation, why is the population in bigger and less used areas of the province not doing so well?

Perhaps because the only place they can see and count the bears is in the open south country. Not that that team will ever admit the truth, in fact the best known researcher there has not told much of the truth since they started the project.

And that has to be the fattest grizzly ever photographed in the wild, he looks to be ready for a longgg winter, lol.

eric2381
02-18-2013, 08:07 PM
I saw this story this morning on the front page of the Calgary Herald.

I'm hoping for a hunt

Piker
02-18-2013, 08:14 PM
I think there are far more bears than the study group will ever admit to. They just hate to admit that they were wrong. I no longer wish to hunt or kill a grizzly but I would like to see some hunters do it rather than the ranchers take things in there own hands. Soon there will be some human bear conflict and then its too late. I have already emailed the minister in charge to let him know what I think. I hope others do the same. Piker

sevenmil
02-18-2013, 09:31 PM
I think there are far more bears than the study group will ever admit to. They just hate to admit that they were wrong. I no longer wish to hunt or kill a grizzly but I would like to see some hunters do it rather than the ranchers take things in there own hands. Soon there will be some human bear conflict and then its too late. I have already emailed the minister in charge to let him know what I think. I hope others do the same. Piker

X2. They will never admit to high densities because it means they were wrong in shutting the hunt down. When has the government ever admitted to being wrong????? Fish and wildlife relocated 14 bears out of a small area within Cardston County last summer. I was at the large carnivore meeting where this was discussed. They only relocated the ones that are causing problems, and they claim that most most of the bears don't cause problems. So just how many are there. More than most people think. It's kind of an insult to peoples intelligence who live in the area to be told that grizzly populations are on the decline.

landowner
02-18-2013, 10:54 PM
Funny how international attention is determining if a hunt could be implemented .. hmmmm..:thinking-006:

yup, everyone knows that the SW is crawling with grizzlies. Ranchers, hunters, SRD. But our elected officals don't have the nerve to take on the urban and international voice, that says complete protection is the only answer. Till then the only legally killed grizzlies will be at the hands of first nation hunters....

Mutter87
02-18-2013, 11:12 PM
I.B.T.L

And I do support a limited tag Grizzly hunt.

Defiantly not once in a lifetime tag tho. Maybe like the Buffalo and make it only open to residents.

Ryry4
02-19-2013, 08:32 AM
Re-opening this hunt has been a long time coming. Hopefully the decision makers in the province start listening to the people that live and deal with these bears on a daily basis and realize there are plenty of bears roaming the hills.