PDA

View Full Version : How's your was/is your 2012/2013 season

King fishermen Dawson
02-18-2013, 07:20 PM
Got my first whitetail Buck this November and a few coyotes had bad luck for bear. Wanted to see how your hunting was/is

myrand
02-18-2013, 07:52 PM
had 3 grizzly encounter, wolf pack encounter, one cougar called in instead of a bear and a moose 10 feets away looking at me but i didnt had the tag.
it was greats
also, i got my 3 deers, my buddy got his first one, everybody is happy.

hope next one will be even better :)

Rennich98
02-18-2013, 07:52 PM
This year was great for me...shot my very first big game animal in may(black bear) that I'm getting turned into a rug and getting the skull bleached...then in October I shot a bull moose with a 33 inch spread out of 511...and shot a bunch of ruffies and my very first spruce!!!!!

Elk Hunter17
02-18-2013, 08:11 PM
Dall sheep, mountain caribou, 65" moose, meat bull elk and a170+ whitetail. I think I had a good year.

Elkaholic523
02-18-2013, 08:17 PM
Gotta see those pics

bigbuck19
02-18-2013, 08:24 PM
2012 was bad, just some wabbits ducks and grouse.. 2013 should be good, maybe bear this year..

dan1
02-18-2013, 08:39 PM
Didn't get out much in 2012. Family emergency kept me close to home. Only one grouse to show for the year. It tasted delicious wrapped in bacon though. Hope to get out more this fall!

Ken H
02-18-2013, 09:19 PM
2012 was a great year me as well. Shot a Muskox in September, a 50 inch moose in November and as 162 inch 6x7 whitail in november. Then in December my I went with cousin to the Suffield base where he shot a cow elk in the third season.

Good Ol' Boy
02-18-2013, 09:24 PM
2012 can KISS MY *****! It was the worst and nearly last year of my life. Spent 5 months in a hospital bed and although I was home prior to hunting season, I was in no condition to get in the bush. However, my health issues are now behind me and I'll be ready to shoot 'em up come fall! I can't wait!!!

Tundra Monkey
02-18-2013, 09:25 PM
2012 was pretty slow for me. Small a/y moose and a decent mt. caribou.

Canol trip was good with 3 moose, 3 caribou and a grizz in our group.

Highlight for me this year was the trip to Nevada for RyRy's sheep hunt. Awesome experience with an incredible group of guys :happy0180:

Jameson340
02-18-2013, 09:26 PM
As far as killing not that great. As far a hunting awesome! Started the year off with a spring bear with my bow, "17 14/16. Spent all summer scouting for sheep wih my girl friend. Spent all sept and Oct sheep hunting, no luck. Managed to arrow a 5x5 whitetail near the end of November and also got my girl friend a dandy 4x4 whitetail. Pretty good year!
So far for 2013, 1 bison and 2 coyotes. Hopefully a ram!!

claystone
02-18-2013, 10:19 PM
got a whitetail buck, bull elk and a bull moose. all together pretty good, except the moose was tough to get out in deep snow for an old guy. LOL

hayseed
02-19-2013, 12:12 AM
For me it was ducks, geese, grouse, whitey buck, wdoe, mdoe, an still yotes

My son ducks , geese, grouse, whitey buck, wdoe....an still yotes..

Had a great season, anytime outdoors is heaven!

Alberta Bigbore
02-19-2013, 12:17 AM
Passed up alot of animals.. but managed to harvest a calf moose and a nice whitetail buck. I also helped my little brother harvest his first buck of his hunting career. I also harvested a boat load of grouse this season. Lots of great dinners.

biggameassassin
02-19-2013, 12:32 AM
decent year, got 2 deer and a cow elk, couldnt find any grouse gotta do my homework on that one:test:, besides that next year should be good, hopefully find out where to go goose or duck hunting =) need to try that out:sHa_shakeshout:

biggmac
02-19-2013, 06:07 PM
Spring black bear, bull moose, cow elk, mulie buck and doe, whitetail doe. Passed on lots of whitetail bucks. Never will get a big one if I shoot liitle ones.

BuckHunterBowen
02-20-2013, 07:04 AM
I spent most of my season helping other people get there animals but it was a blast. Got three moose couple real good elk four whitetails and an amazing goat which was a first for me.Killed a nice Muley for myself and a pretty gnarly non typ whitetail. The highlight of my hunting season is a toss up between the 202 whitetail my hunter shot and the 217 Muley that was killed by a friend of mine.

brohymn2
02-20-2013, 07:51 AM
my 2012 was terrible, only got out twice and saw one grouse, thats bout the extent of it

Mekanik
02-20-2013, 07:52 AM
2012 was terrible: not enough time in the field.

Hopefully 2013 brings better yields.

JTRED
02-20-2013, 07:54 AM
I had an incredible season this past year. Got a beauty 22lb turkey in the spring. Lots of hiking/scouting throughout the summer. Went along for the experience on a pack trip into the Wilmore Wilderness with a friends' father who was looking for a ram. I went on the first trip 28 years ago and finally had the opportunity to go along again. The hiking and the scenery were incredible, horses useful yes, do I like them no. Then as for my season here in BC, got in a couple of short backpack trips looking for goat and mule deer. Excellent trips with a good friend, caught a mess of fish and stayed up way too late one night around the campfire but what a blast. Every weekend I was out hunting Saturday and Sunday close to home. Found some new areas and did lots of great hiking. I did take a really nice fat white tail doe(my favourite wild game meat) on an excellent hike up into the mountains east of town. It was a great hunt being successful was just icing on the cake. Later in October in our any buck Mule deer season I successfully harvested a big two point on a long hike into the mountains north of town. He was in a group of three, he had the smallest antlers but gave the best shot so he was the one I took. The other two were actually quite large 4 points but their necks were looking as though they had begun rutting so I passed on them. The two point actually had as big a body but still showed a straight back and no aging around the muzzle so he was in his prime just not the genetics for a trophy. The meat is incredible and since I don't do anything with the antlers anyhow given the opportunity I always take the young buck or doe. I also got a few grouse and one duck. I can't wait for spring turkey hunting.

Lefty-Canuck
02-20-2013, 07:56 AM
Got quite a few grouse with both the bow and the rifle filled my limit a couple times. A 35 inch bull moose perfect for eating, a nice mule doe again perfect for eating and a 170+ 5X5 white-tail....perfect for mounting.

Passed up on some smaller bull elk early in bow season.....should have capitalized then as the winter got nasty and the snow got deeper and getting an elk became very hard......although I was in on my buddies hunt and almost impossible extraction.

LC

oldgutpile
02-20-2013, 09:08 AM
2012 for me will go down as the year of the bears!! I have always bought a black bear tag as an incidental, just in case I happen to see one while hunting whatever I am ACTUALLY chasing.
This year I went for spring bear on purpose, and actually saw and tagged one. Then this fall, the day before elk season while setting up camp, I had a bear come into camp for dinner! So, I invited him for a "sleep-over":sHa_shakeshout:
As for the rest of the year, I got into bugling elk every day for my first full-week of elk camp in 10 years. Had a blast, even though I didnt pull the trigger (other than the blackie who showed up)
Deer season was pretty slow and I finally took a few smaller ones at the end, cause I had guys that wanted the meat.
Bird season for me is still going hard! From the first of September to present, I am now at 109 pheasant, 26 chukar, 10 sharpies, 1 hun, 1 ruffie, and the shooting is still going strong for pheasant and chukar!

packhuntr
02-20-2013, 09:37 AM
Sounds like a great year Jim right on. We had a super fall in this camp too. Wifey took her first with a bow after a week of persuing him, a 182 gross clean typ mule deer. It was amazing after all her hard work preparing for this hunt and deer. Lotta ups and downs for her, but she showed up, was measured and perservered! I took a nice arch mule, spent 2 weeks late oct and took the greatest big game animal of my life, a bighorn. 10 days ground blind on northern wt and took a yound meat deer on the last day. Abit of bird hunting in the mix and some fishing to boot and it was another year for the photo album for us too!

HuntingAlberta
02-20-2013, 10:03 AM
Great season here, Grizzly Bear in Alaska, Big Black Bear, nice 5 point bull elk with my bow, 160wt buck, 160 pound male cougar, lots of grouse. Passed up a ton of nice young muley bucks 170+, passed up on a 171 wt buck that my brother shot the week after. Chased sheep all over the province and didnt find the one we were after. Still spending lots of time chasing coyotes and wolves. Killed a bunch of coyotes and had wolf encounters twice without getting a shot off.

buckbrushoutdoors
02-20-2013, 10:10 AM
This was the year of taking first time hunters out. I mentored three buddys and they all took there first big animals with one shot. 1 bear, 1 moose and one wt doe. It was very rewarding.

I took an ancient mountain Caribou and a small meat buck in sask. seen one shooter whitey buck but it wasn't in the cards for me. I never filled an Alberta tag two years in a row.

2013 should be fun. Turkeys in Kansas and Mt goats in BC and hopefully be spending the whole month of November with a buddy hunting 410 sheep.

The Spruce
02-20-2013, 03:08 PM
Season started off with a great Bow hunt for Elk, with several close encounters though did not score on one. Shot a ton of Ruffies, took a year off Duck/Goose hunting. Shot a nice Fat Cow Elk in early November and my biggest Grossing Whitetail to date in Late November. Passed on all Whitetails in Sask. for the second year in a row, eventually I will find the old monarch I am looking for. Can't wait for 2013, should have my Mulie tag and plan to spend more time in the mountains chasing a Ram.

leeaspell
02-20-2013, 03:35 PM
Snared a few rabbits, and got 2 grouse from pesky lol. I figure it can only be better next season, certainly can't be any worse than 2012.

bobalong
02-20-2013, 08:16 PM
Did quite a bit of goose hunting, had a good year but turned cold and lots of snow by the end of October, so the birds were gone earlier than usual. Deer was pretty good to, I never tagged one this year after passing on a few small ones, but had a great time hunting with one of my sons. Spent quite a bit of time hunting gophers and a few times after coyotes as well. With the exception of goose season, I think I look forward to an early gopher season most of all.

bessiedog
02-20-2013, 11:37 PM
Had a great year. Got a few grouse with the bow. Almost closed the deal bugling elk three times with my kids. My daughter got her first white tail buck that rattled in.
My son was with me when we stalked and shot my 305 mulie buck (it wasent the 190+ I scouted earlier, but my boy wanted this one pretty bad )
Pheasant season was very good to us, had some awsome hunts with the dogs. And man! Did we run into alot of Huns and sharpies this year.
We also had a great opening day shoot over water at Keho.
The goose patch was extra good to us, every hunt this year saw a limit of Canada's , with snows and speckle bellies makin an appearance as well.
Man! There were alot of ducks this year.

Oh, and I bagged my white tail doe up by Chip lake again this year, no bruiser bucks this time.

Really looking forward to next year, my second daughter will start hunting!!

Only scetchy part was when we got run off by a grizz over an elk kill in 306 when I was helping my buddies get their cow tags filled. Makes a hell of a story though.

Big Daddy Badger
02-20-2013, 11:42 PM
Took one deer and then my season was cut short.
No biggie... seemed pretty sparce anyway and I'd pretty much accepted that I wasn't going to tag out or even try to.