PDA

View Full Version : Sheep Hunting Gear-the good, bad and ugly

thegunman
02-18-2013, 08:26 PM
Just wondering what you guys had tried and liked, or thought was crap and wished you would have left at home:mad0030:. And what else your thinking of trying this year.
Anybody have any expierence with tenzing packs?

Tundra Monkey
02-18-2013, 08:44 PM
Some items that make my final cut:

TiGoat Vertex Tent
Marmot Helium
Lowa boots
Havalon knife + a real one
Iridium Sat Phone
Kifaru EMR
Swaro Optics
MSR Expedition Stove
Wyoming Saw
Helly Hansen Impertech

A partner who can "almost" keep up and never quits :sHa_shakeshout:

bdub
02-18-2013, 09:23 PM
I have been at it for a bit now. Pretty much have my list figured out but the fine tuning is never ending. This year got a havalon knife and another lighter down bag for the early season. I will need to buy another 2 man tent before to long as well as a silitarp this year(the dog chewed up my last one). Would love to spend the bucks and buy a really light weight sheep specific gun but will see. Always spend good money and buy Handwags for boots, merino wool for underwear, got some mountain hardwear for rain gear this year and love it. Old stuff that I have used for years and will stick with are my msr whisperlite stove, swaros, 3/4 thermarest. New stuff this year to try out will be a new Kiui backpack.

bdub
02-18-2013, 09:49 PM
Wife also got me a SPOT that I don't leave home without anymore. Titanium cook pot, amazingly light. Started packing a small ipod for solo hunting in the last couple years. I put it in my pot which works as a speaker to increase the volume. Helps to pass the time at night. Not sure if the coyotes appreciate the singing haha.

thegunman
02-18-2013, 10:03 PM
Wife also got me a SPOT that I don't leave home without anymore. Titanium cook pot, amazingly light. Started packing a small ipod for solo hunting in the last couple years. I put it in my pot which works as a speaker to increase the volume. Helps to pass the time at night. Not sure if the coyotes appreciate the singing haha.

HAHA. I was wondering how many guys did that!!:test:

thegunman
02-20-2013, 05:19 PM
I also forgot to ask : do any of you sheephunters carry bear back up of any sort (from a bowhunters point)?

mad mountain mike
02-20-2013, 05:28 PM
[QUOTE=bdub;1854920]Wife also got me a SPOT that I don't leave home without anymore.
I've used a spot on solo hunts for a few years now but I am thinking of trying the Delorne Inreach this year. I think the two way texting would be nice at night or weather days when stuck in the tent.

BackPackHunter
02-20-2013, 06:05 PM
I also forgot to ask : do any of you sheephunters carry bear back up of any sort (from a bowhunters point)?

if i was chasing sheep in Griz country with a bow...
dam right i would have a gun for back up, or the very least bear spray

i wouldn't be to worried about it in till i was packing out the ram tho

bdub
02-20-2013, 06:12 PM
[QUOTE=bdub;1854920]Wife also got me a SPOT that I don't leave home without anymore.
I've used a spot on solo hunts for a few years now but I am thinking of trying the Delorne Inreach this year. I think the two way texting would be nice at night or weather days when stuck in the tent.

I've never really looked at them or how they work. It does sound nice to be able to send and receive text if that's how they work. I would love to hear of your thoughts on them or if any one else's experience with them.

BackPackHunter
02-20-2013, 06:15 PM
Snow peaks Ti cook wear
Kifaru tarps, and meat bags, n stuff sacks
Swarovski optics
ipod
my little flip camera so when im solo, i can set it up on a tripod flip the screen and see the pics im taking
Mystery Ranch bag
soto stove
wiggy waders , if you r going to use them, pm me for more info... they need to tinkered with to work right
GPS
mountain house food
cliff bars...the best energy bar going
havalon & leatherman
sitka
hanwags
sock liners!!! and good hiking socks
goal zero worked really good, and probably will be coming along again
trekking poles

i dont think ill ever have the perfect set up, theres always something new or lighter... but every year i get better and lighter, and that makes it a lot easier to enjoy the hunt

25-06rem.model700
02-20-2013, 06:25 PM
Best thing you can have is a stubborn streak and a no quit attitude

BackPackHunter
02-20-2013, 06:27 PM

well said....
you can have the best gear in the world
but the best thing to have is that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Morpheus32
02-20-2013, 09:10 PM
well said....

I will agree that attitude is critical but sound planning and preparations are very critical to success. You need to carefully plan what you are going to do, anticipate challenges and have adequate plans to deal with them. You should also carefully rehearse your plans to include practice walks and camps with your ruck. Tweak you equipment, elimiate duplication and seek to reduce weight. It is very difficult to be at your best if your ruck is too heavy. Sometime you can throw money at the problem to reduce weight, sometimes apply some common sense. Plan to succeed.

Tundra Monkey
02-20-2013, 09:19 PM
I agree about the attitude thing. See my "patner that can almost keep up and never quits" comment :)

That being said....I'm sure a lot more comfortable than I was 15 yrs ago.

Way better gear and a solid 20lbs lighter. It is really an unreal difference when I think about it now.

Never done fine tuning either.......kind of addictive :bad_boys_20:

thegunman
02-20-2013, 09:32 PM
Never done fine tuning either.......kind of addictive :bad_boys_20:

This is exactly why I want to get into sheep hunting, it for sure seems to be a stand alone avenue. I got all the stubborness a person could probably handle too. lol

Thanks for all the comments guys!!

Tundra Monkey
02-20-2013, 10:04 PM
Gearing up this way works well for all types of hunts. Blows me away how much unnecessary crap other guys take with them. I show up with my backpack and have everything I need. Kinda blows some folks away actually.

fast_pass88
02-20-2013, 11:13 PM
my sheep experience amounts to only 15 days spent in the wilmore last year, but i'll offer what i can from my limited experience.
hanwags -best money spent hands down
trekking poles, my leki cam locks bent on my way out with a sheep but cabelas returned them no troubles,no reciept

my cooking system i got the idea from packhunter, or barren, or stinky coyote, cant really remember who...anyways i use the soto 1 stove which fits nicely inside the GSI halulite mug as well as a small fuel canister, all packed up inside the mug. a really compact system altho i have yet to go on a hike where the small canister is enough. i also don't cook tho, just boil water for food/tea. i used the caniser stove up to mid october in probably 0 degree temps without issue. any later in the season and i think i'd be getting a liquid gas setup

knife sharpener from wholesale, is about the size of a nail file and made out of plastic, with some grit bonded to the bottom 2" of it. basically weighs nothing

outdoor edge flip 'n saw, really compact thin saw.

considering leaving the GPS at home. basically never used it, just used my compass and a good Mytopo custom map. i'm learning its pretty hard to get turned around in the mountains...maybe if it got really socked in for several days a GPS might come in handy.

Underarmour underwear. dries very quickly, especially after seeing fresh grizzly tracks twice as long as your boots!

SPOT to keep the wife happy, but reception is not as reliable as what is claimed

SmokinJoe
02-20-2013, 11:49 PM
Why hasn't anyone recommended investing in good glass? You can be as light weight as you want, but if you can't see them your not gonna shoot them.

An uncle of mine who's quite elderly used to guide sheep hunts way back in the day. Showed me a few pictures, let me tell you the equiptment used in them pics don't measure up to some of the stuff listed above.

Here's three things that are a must have

Good European glass
Good boots
And the right attitude.

BackPackHunter
02-21-2013, 07:42 AM
[QUOTE=BackPackHunter;1857870]

Swarovski optics

??? not good i guess???
its the best

echo
02-21-2013, 08:04 AM

Roughneck Country
02-21-2013, 10:25 AM
Hanwag boots as listed above
Good backpack, I have tried several now and really like the KUIU packs
Treking Poles a must, dont cheap out on these or you will be sorry!
Spotting scope (Swarovski is my preference with wide angle lens)
synthetic or wool clothing, cotton gets wet and is hard to dry in the bush
smart wool socks are a new addition to me and I wouldnt leave home again without them

Patience to glass for hours on end

Good lightweight back pack tent, & good lightweight synthetic sleeping bag
Head lamp, seems like everytime a guy gets something on the mountain it is dark before you can make it back to camp

There is a lot more on my list but this is the key items for myself

thegunman
02-21-2013, 12:10 PM
I just came across a mystery ranch 7500 pack, at $260 right now. From what I have read mystery ranch seems to be pretty popular, what are your thoughts?

manosteel
02-21-2013, 01:59 PM
I just came across a mystery ranch 7500 pack, at $260 right now. From what I have read mystery ranch seems to be pretty popular, what are your thoughts?

Great packs but a little on the heavy side compared to others, around 9lbs if I remember correctly.

Marko
02-21-2013, 02:14 PM
Does anybody pack small tarps or coverings? I've been thinkin about packing one this year, just in case of rain/weather

Mtnbowhunter
02-21-2013, 03:14 PM
jump on that MR 7500. They are a $700+ pack! If its in decent shape, you could even flip it and make a couple hundred bucks.

as far as tarps go, I usually pack a sil-nylon tarp when i am alone and hunting out of my bivy. It is nice to be able to get out of the weather at times.

bardfromedson
02-21-2013, 04:21 PM
Does anybody pack small tarps or coverings? I've been thinkin about packing one this year, just in case of rain/weather

Everyone recommends the siltarp 2.
Light and can be used for everything. Great way to collect rain water if you don't have a close source. It's on my to buy list.

Ryry4
02-21-2013, 04:28 PM
Some items that make my final cut:

A partner who can "almost" keep up and never quits :sHa_shakeshout:

Oh, I'll be able to keep up. ;)

Ryry4
02-21-2013, 04:35 PM
-Swaro glass for me. You get what you pay for in optics.
-I use a pack made by the Outdoorsmen's in Phoenix. It's the first pack that I've had that fit me good.
-Kenetrek boots.
-Leica rangefinder.
-Swandri Bush jacket, I love that thing.

These items I won't leave the house without.

BackPackHunter
02-21-2013, 05:43 PM

I have a Mystery Ranch 6500 bag, it is a heavier bag (10 lb) but
It's strong; you can move the yoke to make it fit your back perfect
the nice frame works with a lot of different bags, for different trips

i would make sure its a real MR bag for that price, and that the price includes the Nice Frame too...
good deal if it real http://www.mysteryranch.com/hunting/nice-frame-packs/nice-7500-pack

bdub
02-21-2013, 06:42 PM
Sea to Summit stuff sacks. Awesome stuff sacks to squish your gear down to save space as well as keep stuff dry. Really well made.

cosmocreeper06
02-21-2013, 07:19 PM
Find a partner. Best thing I ever did. He does not hunt him self so no trophy competition. Takes 1/2 the load. Great evening conversation. Extra push for that last mile when the energy levels are low and the best set of eyes. Did I say he was a younger. Yup. Loves the high country and taking pictures. I think the best thing is the hot coffee he perks every morning.
I prefer an external pack frame. Has a little more weight but easier to take off and on for me. Hate knives that are to light. Blade for me has to take the abuse to. The other area I sacrifice is binocs. I like big view and long range and I skip the spotting scope. I am a hunter and a walker so I can walk closer if needed. Pack is usually just around the 25lb mark. for any extended time in the field. Any heavier and I do not get the distance in a days hiking.
Just a few thoughts.

Mtnbowhunter
02-21-2013, 08:12 PM
Pack is usually just around the 25lb mark. for any extended time in the field. Any heavier and I do not get the distance in a days hiking.
Just a few thoughts.

For how many days is your pack 25lbs? Could you please go into detail on your gear. My food, water, weapon and empty pack are probably pushing that weight for a week in the mountains.

bdub
02-21-2013, 08:27 PM
For how many days is your pack 25lbs? Could you please go into detail on your gear. My food, water, weapon and empty pack are probably pushing that weight for a week in the mountains.

X2 I was at 55 for a ten dayer with a partner this past fall. Always looking for tricks to lightening things up. Thanks

whitetailsheds
02-22-2013, 09:20 AM
The other area I sacrifice is binocs. I like big view and long range and I skip the spotting scope. I am a hunter and a walker so I can walk closer if needed.

C'mon..............really?
thegunman, this is one of the worst pieces of advice for someone asking about sheep hunting......disregard it!!!
No binos or spotting scope?!? Your name Steve Austin?

thegunman
02-22-2013, 11:36 AM
thegunman, this is one of the worst pieces of advice for someone asking about sheep hunting......disregard it!!!

Ya that even sounded a bit foolish to a green horn like me. lol

bdub
02-22-2013, 01:22 PM

I took as he likes higher power binos like 12x plus and skips packing a spotting scope. Which is not a bad strategy especially going solo.

thegunman
02-22-2013, 05:00 PM
Does this look like a 7500 to you guys? Looked a bit smaller to me..

BackPackHunter
02-22-2013, 06:29 PM
Does this look like a 7500 to you guys? Looked a bit smaller to me..

the one on the right looks like a 7500 or 6500
the one on the left looks like a crew cab... buy it up, good deal
if you don't want it, I'll buy both

BackPackHunter
02-22-2013, 06:48 PM
I took as he likes higher power binos like 12x plus and skips packing a spotting scope. Which is not a bad strategy especially going solo.

A spotting scope is a necessary peace of equipment when sheep hunting, because when your judging curl on a ram, it's a lot easier to score a ram with one, and from a lot farther away...

Rams that will be close to the 4/5 (legal or illegal) you need to be 100% sure that the horn is past the line... you can spot sheep with binos; no problem but looking at a bunch of sheep on a different mountain or a couple miles away; you will not have enough power to see if the horns curl is past the line... the spotting scope will save you a lot of unnecessary walking, getting closer to illegal Rams, only to have to start over and looking for the next Ram...

BackPackHunter
02-22-2013, 07:02 PM
Sea to Summit stuff sacks. Awesome stuff sacks to squish your gear down to save space as well as keep stuff dry. Really well made.

they are a good stuff sack,
the Kifaru stuff sacks will free up more room and weight in the pack, and they pack together a lot better then the big balls normal stuff sacks pack down too,
last year i used 2 of them, a large for the sleeping bag and tent, and a small for clothes, and easy to strap to your bag, if it gets filled up with meat

the hanging meat bag from them is a good bag too
the 1oz meat bag, cant handle being filled with meat... if you keep it around 1/2 full it will be fine, (it said it can handle 100 lb, nope but it would do 50-60)

http://www.kifaru.net/stuffsack.html

bdub
02-22-2013, 07:18 PM
A spotting scope is a necessary peace of equipment when sheep hunting, because when your judging curl on a ram, it's a lot easier to score a ram with one, and from a lot farther away...

Rams that will be close to the 4/5 (legal or illegal) you need to be 100% sure that the horn is past the line... you can spot sheep with binos; no problem but looking at a bunch of sheep on a different mountain or a couple miles away; you will not have enough power to see if the horns curl is past the line... the spotting scope will save you a lot of unnecessary walking, getting closer to illegal Rams, only to have to start over and looking for the next Ram...

I pack a spotter but I can see situations where a large binoc 15 x 56 swaros or ziess on a tripod could replace a spotting scope for sheep.

BackPackHunter
02-22-2013, 07:38 PM
I pack a spotter but I can see situations where a large binoc 15 x 56 swaros or ziess on a tripod could replace a spotting scope for sheep.

(not trying to argue)
the only situations that i can see would involve lots of luck...
i would be looking else where to cut weight, each to their own tho

the kill is nice, but theres so much more to hunting rams then that
most importion thing is to have fun, see some new country, enjoy the views
see what your really made of when the going gets really tough

Stinky Coyote
02-22-2013, 09:03 PM
No need to go without glass, between hikes I muse about different glass but as soon as I start climbing those thoughts go away. 10x32 ultravid hd on neck for hiking, then on to tripod when sitting, only 20-21oz, and if I need to I pull out nikon ed50 with 13-40x eyepiece at around 22.5oz including it's lens protectors at either end. Silk carbon tripod and a manfrotto pan head and I love the set up. I am going to pick up a kowa 664 to try out and to have a second spotter for truck and range work but something tells me the extra 1.5 lb over the nikon won't be following me up the mountains and again I might end up with a swaro 15x bino for truck work someday but love my 10's too much to care. My bino spotter combo comes in around same weight as a swaro 65 spotter, then add 42mm porky binos to that as many do.....yeah, I'd wanna leave something home also!

Tundra Monkey
02-22-2013, 09:54 PM

Here's an example for ya. I sat in front of a desert ram this year at about 2 miles for a full 5 hours. When I sat down I started with my 10x swaros. Didn't see nuthin'. I put up my spotter and I picked out a ewe and a ram in about 15 minutes. When the sheep would bed I would try to pick him up with the bino's knowing exactly where he was. I could not pick him out from the rest of the stuff laying around him. Back to the spotter and I could make him fill the lens if I wanted to.

I will never not take my spotter and I will spend more time behind it. That was my New Year's resolution this year :happy0034:

Artistic Taxidermy
02-22-2013, 10:02 PM
well said....

sounds about right!!!!:)

BackPackHunter
02-22-2013, 10:54 PM
Here's an example for ya. I sat in front of a desert ram this year at about 2 miles for a full 5 hours. When I sat down I started with my 10x swaros. Didn't see nuthin'. I put up my spotter and I picked out a ewe and a ram in about 15 minutes. When the sheep would bed I would try to pick him up with the bino's knowing exactly where he was. I could not pick him out from the rest of the stuff laying around him. Back to the spotter and I could make him fill the lens if I wanted to.

I will never not take my spotter and I will spend more time behind it. That was my New Year's resolution this year :happy0034:

last year, we spotted 10 rams from about 4 miles as the crow flys, on 60 power, we could tell 8 where banana's but 2 looked good and where worth a closer look. we couldn't see the 10 rams with the binos (10 power)...
long store short, we got closer and 1 was legal...

Tundra Monkey
02-22-2013, 11:03 PM
last year, we spotted 10 rams from about 4 miles as the crow flys, on 60 power, we could tell 8 where banana's but 2 looked good and where worth a closer look. we couldn't see the 10 rams with the binos (10 power)...
long store short, we got closer and 1 was legal...

I wish you would have told me that 15 years ago :lol:

Good thing I hunt white sheep :47b20s0:

BackPackHunter
02-22-2013, 11:14 PM
I wish you would have told me that 15 years ago :lol:

Good thing I hunt white sheep :47b20s0:

thats only a good thing if there no snow i guess...
but im sure the white ones blend in with the rocks too

I was glassing Big horns in late oct, on a white mountain, and couldn't see any
but could see what looked like fresh track in the snow, folded the tracks around
the mountain with the spotter for about 40 min before i was able to pick them out...

nathantd
03-01-2013, 09:33 PM
Went with in reach last fall over the spot messenger. Hands down it was worth it. Doesn't really add much weight or take up much room in a pack. ~50$ a month for ~200 texts, unlimited plots, can post to a website for fair weather hunting buddies. Cheaper packages and pay per text options too. We were worried about weather and got updates from home. Got to tell everyone our successes and get patted on the back while the grunting started. Reception is supposed to be more reliable than the spot. Kept us out of hot water for spending so much time in the field.

Kifaru tipi and stove were amazing for the weight loved them in the snow got dry & warm quick.

Eberlestock nearly killed me.

Bushnell fusion binos were great for the price.

Would love to find the perfect pack though.

Travco1
09-02-2016, 07:51 AM
Stone Glacier Sky is a very nice pack .

cpwrestler
09-06-2016, 02:55 PM
A small tip with cooking set-ups. Layer 4 pieces of heavy duty tinfoil on top of one another then wrap them around your stove to form a windscreen/heat concentrator.

I find this greatly reduces boiling time for my water so I use less fuel and also saves me a lot of hassle in the wind. Poor man's jetboil I suppose.

I use a 1L GSI Hallulite boiler, an MSR pocket rocket and a medium size fuel canister and I'm able to fold the foil into thirds then wrap it around the fuel canister which then fits into the pot with a lighter on top. Like this, the medium canister has given me 8 days of water for two guys with around 1L for dinner and around 250ml for breakfasts.

375HH
09-06-2016, 06:26 PM
Went with the Delorme this year love it. Works way better paired with phone.

bdub
09-06-2016, 06:39 PM
Went with the Delorme this year love it. Works way better paired with phone.

My hunting partner has the Delorme. He used to run a Sat phone but switched to the Inreach this year. It is nice being able to have two way communication at times, which the SPOT doesn't provide. The map feature when paired to the phone is also pretty nice.

Weekender
09-07-2016, 09:44 AM
I recommend having an iPhone with iHunter AB. Besides the convenience of having the phone for photos and music/books (while starring through glass all day), iHunter uses the GPS capability built into phones these days. Left the GPS at home and never looked at the map. All you need to do is download the map images before you lose reception (satellite and topo). The gps function still works in "air plane mode" and with modest use the battery lasted me 5 days. One of those little battery chargers a good idea though, especially with older phones and cold weather. Got lost in the fog one morning and it saved us a long walk into the wrong drainage.

Luckwell
09-07-2016, 01:01 PM
I recommend having an iPhone with iHunter AB. Besides the convenience of having the phone for photos and music/books (while starring through glass all day), iHunter uses the GPS capability built into phones these days. Left the GPS at home and never looked at the map. All you need to do is download the map images before you lose reception (satellite and topo). The gps function still works in "air plane mode" and with modest use the battery lasted me 5 days. One of those little battery chargers a good idea though, especially with older phones and cold weather. Got lost in the fog one morning and it saved us a long walk into the wrong drainage.

Hmmm Mayhaps I will do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StandsOnToes
09-09-2016, 04:02 PM
Been chasing sheep since I was 15 ( 30 now) and my hunting partner is my dad who's been doing it for damn near 40years .

I could write a long list of what we take or what we've tried that didn't work but I think I'll just write a short list of a few items that if I left at home would make me turn around from the staging area to go get.

Boots - everyone will say get this brand or that but what is really comes down to is a waterproof high top leather shoe with a good hiking sole. I've tried a bunch hell I was unlucky enough to try a hunt in steel toes work boots once (never again) haha . You want hightops because sheep live in a rocky place and you are going to stumble and fall, leather because those rocks are dam hard on synthetic materials , and waterproof because wet feet turn a willing hunter into a sheepless Whiney hiker.

Binocular harness - I was going to write down what kind and style of binos but I think this piece of equipment is even more important that the glass it's attached to . Neck straps cause shoulder pain and chaffing, and scrambling up a rock face with binoculars bumping against your knees from a neck strap is a pain.
Well you say "I just keep them in my pocket" well then you missed out on a bunch of sheep. If the your glass is always out and easily accessed you'll be more prone to check out every damn sheep shaped rock you come across. If your eyes don't hurt so bad that it makes it hard to sleep your not glassing enough.

Tripod for your spotting scope - same with binos I was gonna list some brands but again, as long as you have a half decent scope , the tripod is more important that what's sitting on it . Make sure it's heavy! If you've ever been at the top of a mountain with the wind raging by and trying to decide if that maybe legal ram is worth hiking down this mountain and up the next you be thankful for a tripod that holds your scope dead still.
Make sure is is adjustable in every direction. Being able to plop your scope down where ever your are is awesome. If it's adjustable you don't have to search for a suitable place to set up the scope or a lay down In awkward positions.

Good attitude- nuff said

No hangover - if your indulging around the fire keep it reasonable, sheep hunting with a hangover is damn near impossible hAha.

Lip chap - mountain winds and sun suck, cracked lips are a common side effect of spending days on end at altitude chasing sheep.

Camel pack or large canteen- nuff said

Good friends- the guy next to you has to being willing to put up with climbing and ****ty weather. you should be in okay shape and you and your buddies should be evenly matched or else someone is eventually going to get ****ed that they are always waiting at the tops of washes or otherwise ****ed that we aren't taking enough breaks on the ascent haha

A gun that is sighted in BEFORE you go out to the hills- nothing ****es me off more than hearing crack crack crack crack crack, of some ******* a valley over sighting his gun in the day before opener. Noise like that will make the Rams stay up high and out of sight for days. Don't be a dick , the only cracks you should hear in the hills should be from kill shots.

Djc284
12-26-2016, 04:55 PM
I have a tenzing tz6000.... Honestly like the pack, that being said it will never see a mountain for anymore than a 3 day trip. I have a 30" waist and the belt will not carry more than 40lbs comfortably and coming out 11 miles as the crow flies with 85-90lbs is hell!!!! Maybe if you had a 34+ waist may be better.
My partner uses a mystery ranch 6500. Very tough, very comfortable and quality is top notch, 85-90lbs in it felt like mine at 50. I just bought one and am very pleased.
Good boots
Best optics you can afford, recommend Swarovski
I won't take a spotter unless it has 60 power the difference between 45 and 60 is huge at long distance trying to judge a legal ram
MSR whisper light stove, we take 2 canisters of fuel, handy for melting snow for water. We stay up top.
Pot 2L, cup, spork
New air mattresses roll up to the size of a beer can and are comfy
Sleeping bag -7 rating in compression dry sack
Tent MSR Hubba Hubba
2 knives, 2 lighters, 50' para cord,
Range finder
Be comfortable shooting to 400 yards
Bear spray
Camel pack and 1 L water bottle
Compas with good topo map
We take a spot, good idea if anything ever went bad fast
Water and wind proof outer layer, Sitka
Headlamp with 1 set spare batteries

A partner that doesn't quit!!!! Limey the single best thing you can have with you.

.300ultramag
12-26-2016, 08:36 PM
Never tried tenzig packs, haven't seen them on the millionaire Yankees in the sheep hunting magazines so that's something I guess.

Back up for bow hunting?? Don't live in fear. Always more likely to die on the road out there than by a bear. Carry bear spray, if it's enough for the little kids on a summer field trip it's enough for you.

Spend 4 grand on a spotting scope if you are young, the onus will be that you will feel guilty if you don't use it.

Buy the ultra ultra lightweight stuff if you are old and not yet sheep shape seasoned.

Blend that theory if middle aged, with any luck you will be in just good enough shape to make it into sheep country and glass until you get your legs back under you.

Don't listen to lucky people, listen to the ones that had to earn it.

Hunt one area all season and learn when the sheep are there or hunt different areas and hope to cross paths with them.

riskytype
12-31-2016, 09:05 PM
I like my Tenzig 5000. I like all of the pockets to keep my stuff sorted and organized. I also like the amount of anchor points on the pack to tie more gear onto the pack. Not sure if it would be enough for more than my usual 5 day trip.