PDA

View Full Version : Why do people use the term "Slay" in Fishing????

Zip-in-Z
02-19-2013, 08:19 PM
I've recently read a few post where members use use the term "SLAY" in respect to their fishing adventures which troubles me & just doesn't make sense. So I looked up the definition and found the following ... I trust this isn't what people normally do when fishin ?

Definition of SLAY... transitive verb!

1: to kill violently, wantonly, or in great numbers; broadly : to strike down, assassinate.

2: to delight or amuse immensely (slayed the audience) intransitive verb - kill, murder — slay·er noun

Synonyms: carry off, claim, croak [slang], destroy, dispatch, do in, fell, kill, take, conquer, defeat, overcome.

Old English examples of SLAY = to strike, beat, smite, stamp, forge, sting, slay, kill, impact ... Our foes must all be slain or the Knight slew the dragon!

Poor Dragon or perhaps poor fish ... guess I just don't understand why ?????

:thinking-006:

Zip

Vigsy
02-19-2013, 08:23 PM
:snapoutofit:I've recently read a few post where members use use the term "SLAY" in respect to their fishing adventures which troubles me & just doesn't make sense. So I looked up the definition and found the following ... I trust this isn't what people normally do when fishin ?

1: to kill violently, wantonly, or in great numbers; broadly : to strike down, assassinate.

2: to delight or amuse immensely (slayed the audience) intransitive verb - kill, murder — slay·er noun

Synonyms: carry off, claim, croak [slang], destroy, dispatch, do in, fell, kill, take, conquer, defeat, overcome.

Old English examples of SLAY = to strike, beat, smite, stamp, forge, sting, slay, kill, impact ... Our foes must all be slain or the Knight slew the dragon!

Zip

Really? :snapoutofit:
I hope all this research and writing didnt take too long because there is much better things to do with your life.

maclennanchris
02-19-2013, 08:28 PM
wow

jacenbeers
02-19-2013, 08:30 PM
Have you ever heard of somebody describe getting intoxicated by using a word such as slammed, smashed, destroyed, ****ed, wasted, etc.? I don't think you are meant to take it literally. Slay probably doesn't mean that they caught a walleye and then kicked it around the lake and whipped it to death with their rod. Relax.

D4l3k
02-19-2013, 08:32 PM
We usually say slaughtered them when we have a good fishing day, slay would be a ok fishing day

buckmasterjr
02-19-2013, 08:32 PM
:lol:

Dacotensis
02-19-2013, 09:00 PM
I've recently read a few post where members use use the term "SLAY" in respect to their fishing adventures which troubles me & just doesn't make sense. So I looked up the definition and found the following ... I trust this isn't what people normally do when fishin ?

Zip

I'm no wordsmith, but I would lean to the list of cinnamons :sHa_sarcasticlol:in bold from your post.

"Slay" sounds so much more appropriate than "we conquerd", "we defeated".

Ok, that's it. back to a 100 page case law document I'm reading.

Pincherguy
02-19-2013, 09:04 PM
Have you ever heard of somebody describe getting intoxicated by using a word such as slammed, smashed, destroyed, ****ed, wasted, etc.? I don't think you are meant to take it literally. Slay probably doesn't mean that they caught a walleye and then kicked it around the lake and whipped it to death with their rod. Relax.

your right but couldn't you just picture that, lmao. Picture the guy dressed in a ninja suit:sign0068:

Blairh
02-19-2013, 09:11 PM
From now on I will be saying I conquered the fish. Thanks for the English lesson!

Gust
02-19-2013, 09:11 PM
Slay sounds so much better than smote or rase,, anyhoo dude I gotta header, later, over n'out, ciao'der!

Lady White
02-19-2013, 09:34 PM
This post makes me laugh!:sHa_sarcasticlol: I use it as a slang word. Here let me help you understand.

Slang
very informal usage in vocabulary and idiom that is characteristically more metaphorical, playful, elliptical, vivid, and ephemeral than ordinary language.
(in English and some other languages) speech and writing characterized by the use of vulgar and socially taboo vocabulary and idiomatic expressions.

huntingd
02-19-2013, 09:45 PM
Somebody needs to slay this thread.

Albertafisher
02-19-2013, 09:45 PM
Uhhhh. Cool.

338Bluff
02-19-2013, 10:11 PM

Zip

Hyperbole (pron.: /haɪˈpɜrbəliː/ hy-PUR-bə-lee;[1] Greek: ὑπερβολή hyperbolē, "exaggeration") is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally.[2] :fighting0030:

Alberta Bigbore
02-19-2013, 10:11 PM
Ive always said " Slayed " when it was a good days fishing. But then again i say it again on a good day of shooting ruffed grouse. And those are dead. :)

B_Type13X2
02-19-2013, 11:45 PM

Speak for yourself when I kill my walleye I like to take 40lb braid tie one end to the tail of one walleye to the tail of another walleye and use them like nun-chucks to beat a northern pike to death.

pike_king780
02-19-2013, 11:56 PM
Speak for yourself when I kill my walleye I like to take 40lb braid tie one end to the tail of one walleye to the tail of another walleye and use them like nun-chucks to beat a northern pike to death.

lmao. oh you too?!:bad_boys_20:

HunterDave
02-20-2013, 12:03 AM
I'll give this thread a 9 out of 10 for entertainment value. :lol:

fish gunner
02-20-2013, 12:12 AM
Cause I can't spell vanquishd good and overcome sound lame.:)

B_Type13X2
02-20-2013, 12:43 AM
lmao. oh you too?!:bad_boys_20:

Damn rights... Do you also cut their fins off and use them as throwing stars for whitefish that have pushed you too far?

OneGirlWolfPack
02-20-2013, 12:58 AM

HAHAHA! awesome.

The only thing I've ever slayed while fishing is my dignity.

B_Type13X2
02-20-2013, 02:14 AM
HAHAHA! awesome.

The only thing I've ever slayed while fishing is my dignity.

So like me and dating but only with fishing?

Rabdo
02-20-2013, 04:04 AM
hahaha nice thread

huntsfurfish
02-20-2013, 05:05 AM

Zip

I agree and smash is another term used.:( Must be an age thing:)
To me it does not seem respectful of the resources.
But mere words have been used throughout time to describe their conquests:).

Freedom55
02-20-2013, 06:20 AM
Or...

We used to play the fish. Now we fight them.

Free

Kim473
02-20-2013, 06:46 AM

Zip

Key words in your search.

Rumtan
02-20-2013, 08:13 AM
When a comedien says " I killed em last night"......... it really doesnt mean he killed em last night, rather it means he had a good set and people laughed. When someone says "They slayed em last night" it would denote that they were into to catching some of the fish population at that time.

MoFugger21
02-20-2013, 08:44 AM

Zip

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx61/MoFugger21/Not_sure_if_serious_zps54af5ad9.jpg

Alberta Bigbore
02-20-2013, 09:01 AM
Speak for yourself when I kill my walleye I like to take 40lb braid tie one end to the tail of one walleye to the tail of another walleye and use them likenun-chucks to beat a northern pike to death.

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/mojobass/nunchucks_zps28465155.png

FishHunterPro
02-20-2013, 09:37 AM
Ive always said " Slayed " when it was a good days fishing. But then again i say it again on a good day of shooting ruffed grouse. And those are dead. :)

Hahaha this is the best and very true !

pike_king780
02-20-2013, 09:44 AM
Damn rights... Do you also cut their fins off and use them as throwing stars for whitefish that have pushed you too far?

YES!! those damn white fish are always pushing their luck :angry3:arghhh!! MUST SLAYY!!:budo:

Zip-in-Z
02-20-2013, 10:39 AM
I’ve been away for a month, so after reading a number of old posts, I fail to understand why members, in the spirit of conservation, catch & release, limit your catch & fish futures feel it necessary to boast about Slaying Fish, so I throw out a post just to see what the community has to say. Thirty posts later, I find the replies humorous, educational, serious & respectful, and of course some are just pathetic. Perhaps I'm old school or my values are different that some, however, I still find the term inappropriate to describe a great day of having fun fishing with friends or family.

Just imagine a 6 year old in front of the class, telling the teacher and all his/her buddies that his Mommy/Daddy took them fishing on Family Day and they Slayed a bunch of fish .. or the next time a C.O. stops by ... tell them you’re having a great time Slaying a bunch of fish and I’m sure .... you’ll get the LOOK! Thanks to all for your valuable input, it was entertaining.

I still feel sorry for that poor Dragon!

Zip-in-Z

MoFugger21
02-20-2013, 11:22 AM
I think you taking/using the term 'slay' FAR too literal

Dacotensis
02-20-2013, 11:41 AM
I’ve been away for a month, so after reading a number of old posts, I fail to understand why members, in the spirit of conservation, catch & release, limit your catch & fish futures feel it necessary to boast about Slaying Fish, so I throw out a post just to see what the community has to say. Thirty posts later, I find the replies humorous, educational, serious & respectful, and of course some are just pathetic. Perhaps I'm old school or my values are different that some, however, I still find the term inappropriate to describe a great day of having fun fishing with friends or family.

Just imagine a 6 year old in front of the class, telling the teacher and all his/her buddies that his Mommy/Daddy took them fishing on Family Day and they Slayed a bunch of fish .. or the next time a C.O. stops by ... tell them you’re having a great time Slaying a bunch of fish and I’m sure .... you’ll get the LOOK! Thanks to all for your valuable input, it was entertaining.

Zip-in-Z

I guess in the spirit of survival, and tasty treats. I like to eat fish. That means I have to kill them. I think you will find that most people on this forum like to eat. Be it fish, grouse, moose. We have to kill it to grill it.

As for my children talking about hunting and fishing in school? I hope they do. I hope they express their enthusiasim for the outdoors with their peers.
Not every child has the exposure to the great things that hunting and fishing brings us. Most of all, a full freezer of meat, or a trout in the cast iron pan.
You know, in some societies and cultures, there is a big celebration and dance (a party) when the meal is killed and brought home.
It was this way in the past here in NA and it still happens around the world.
Us Albertans express it differently. It's the internet.
Dac

Hunter Trav
02-20-2013, 11:45 AM
I prefer to use the term "hammering" them, as in "We went out and hammered them yesterday, last weekend, etc..."

But please don't take it too literally. And much like the last poster, I hope my kids use the term loudly and proudly. If they told everyone they slayed them that would be cool too...:cool:

Kim473
02-20-2013, 12:55 PM
I prefer to use the term "hammering" them, as in "We went out and hammered them yesterday, last weekend, etc..."

But please don't take it too literally. And much like the last poster, I hope my kids use the term loudly and proudly. If they told everyone they slayed them that would be cool too...:cool:

You got them drunk????

Just kidding!

ogre
02-20-2013, 01:16 PM
Lol, thanks for the entertaining thread. I agree it does sound a bit off, when used by a C&R fisherperson.

Rabdo
02-20-2013, 02:03 PM

beating them to death with a hammer sounds cruel Trav :bad_boys_20:

Hunter Trav
02-20-2013, 02:40 PM
Actually, I usually use the back of the ice scoop. Couple good whacks with that usually does them in...:cool:

Rabdo
02-20-2013, 03:03 PM
hahaha

same

chain2
02-20-2013, 03:42 PM
Slang and expression :sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:..."man that's a pig" "I know...it's sick" roughly translated to: healthy big fish and
creative license... :)chain

also horns= antlers=bones=upset duffy

Bhflyfisher
02-20-2013, 03:59 PM
Slang and expression :sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:..."man that's a pig" "I know...it's sick" roughly translated to: healthy big fish and
creative license... :)chain

also horns= antlers=bones=upset duffy

I had a couple people get up in arms with me about calling fish pigs. Like frig. Some people need to stop taking things so literal. Its utterly ridiculous.

EZM
02-20-2013, 04:03 PM
You got them drunk????

I got drunk with a whitefish once and the smug little bastard challenged me to a staring contest ....he won ..........so I did some bath salts and ate his face.

"How you like me now whitey !!!!" I screamed as he laid there all flopping n' $#!t

BAM ....!!!!

Hunter Trav
02-20-2013, 04:14 PM
To much slang, I'm calling the PC police on you...:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Richmuiz
02-20-2013, 04:26 PM
I got drunk with a whitefish once and the smug little bastard challenged me to a staring contest ....he won ..........so I did some bath salts and ate his face.

"How you like me now whitey !!!!" I screamed as he laid there all flopping n' $#!t

BAM ....!!!!

Lmfao now that's the best yet

kevinhits
02-20-2013, 04:56 PM

BAM ....!!!!

That is great.....HAHAHAHHAHAHHA....

You should have that on video...LMAO

pipco
02-20-2013, 05:12 PM

That is EXACTLY what I do when I'm slaying fish. I prefer to use a sword though rather than a fly rod.

Crazy Horse
02-20-2013, 05:23 PM
My friends call me the Walleye Slayer! Actually, I call myself that. Don't hate the player hate the game!:1041::dork:

Speckle55
02-20-2013, 05:30 PM
Be wvery wvery quite i am hunting Whites.. those wascly whites are gonna get it now:sHa_shakeshout:.. take that .. and that .. and that ..and that

Whitefish Twouble

hewo heh heh heh heh

David:)

KegRiver
02-20-2013, 05:35 PM
I have never heard nor seen the word slay used in any fishing discussion, verbal or written.

Without knowing what the context was, I find myself wondering if perhaps the author intended to say, Sleigh.

KegRiver
02-20-2013, 05:42 PM
Okay, did a search, should have done that first.

The word used and intended does appear to be Slay.

I have no idea where that started or why it is used in this way.

Makes no sense to me.

Lady White
02-20-2013, 05:43 PM
Be wvery wvery quite i am hunting Whites.. those wascly whites are gonna get it now:sHa_shakeshout:.. take that .. and that .. and that ..and that

Whitefish Twouble

hewo heh heh heh heh

David:)

HAHAHAHA!!
Nice fish BTW

Zip-in-Z
02-20-2013, 05:53 PM
Okay, did a search, should have done that first.

The word used and intended does appear to be Slay.

I have no idea where that started or why it is used in this way.

Makes no sense to me.

My point exactly .... tks for sharing your Pearls of Wisdom !

Zip-in-Z

ak-71
02-20-2013, 05:55 PM
I've recently read a few post where members use use the term "SLAY" in respect to their fishing adventures which troubles me & just doesn't make sense.

Zip

Only the evil ones do... The ones that don't kiss the fishes (platonically), before release and don't give the trees so deserved and needed hug... :sHa_sarcasticlol:

As for kids - when my 5y/o son, walking in a beautifully decorated public park in a touristy place in Texas yelled "Dad! Look – bunny!!!" A lot of people turned heads and he continued “Lets catch him for dinner!!!”
I had to explain him that it would be very hard to do and, most likely, illegal, but I did feel proud a little :)

Roscoe
02-20-2013, 07:28 PM

Zip-in-Z[/QUOTE]

If it makes you feel any better slaying sounds better than raping and pillaging. Could you imagine trying to explain that one on parent teacher night as to why little Johnny got up in front of the class and bragged about how a good time was had by the whole family as they went from hole to hole raping and pillaging lake x?

B_Type13X2
02-20-2013, 07:34 PM
Hey I raped and pillaged the hell out of our ocean/lake going creatures; which is why I am no longer allowed within 50' of seaworld.