PDA

View Full Version : Always big slabs at burnstick.

Jhass
02-20-2013, 05:35 PM
Well folks, yet again had a very good day out on burntstick lake yesturday. I've fished this little lake for years.. ever since I was a young buck. Still hasn't let me down. For those of you thinkin that there isn't big perch in this lake... think again. I've pulled 14 and 15 inchers out of the water and yesturday got a few 13's. There's some big slabs in there for sure... you just gotta find em. I will not expose my secret as to where they were caught because that will just ruin my fun, but i will share some info as to what i used for rigging and such. An old buddy of mine years ago pulled out a 15 n 3/4" record perch weighing 2 lbs and 11 oz. I kid you not! There's pigs in there. Well folks, good luck out on the lakes.. I know where i'll stay :sHa_shakeshout:

pope
02-20-2013, 05:50 PM
Guessing you meant "slabs". When I saw "slobs" I thought you were talking about the guys who leave the half burnt trees, garbage, beer cans and fishing line on the ice.

Jhass
02-20-2013, 05:53 PM
haha yes, "slabs" my mistake. I went ahead and changed that. Thanks

kevinhits
02-20-2013, 06:36 PM
Well folks, yet again had a very good day out on burntstick lake yesturday. I've fished this little lake for years.. ever since I was a young buck. Still hasn't let me down. For those of you thinkin that there isn't big perch in this lake... think again. I've pulled 14 and 15 inchers out of the water and yesturday got a few 13's. There's some big slabs in there for sure... you just gotta find em. I will not expose my secret as to where they were caught because that will just ruin my fun, but i will share some info as to what i used for rigging and such. An old buddy of mine years ago pulled out a 15 n 3/4" record perch weighing 2 lbs and 11 oz. I kid you not! There's pigs in there. Well folks, good luck out on the lakes.. I know where i'll stay :sHa_shakeshout:

Pics please:)

fish gunner
02-20-2013, 06:49 PM
Think I've got 8yrs of trying,could stretch one to 12" maybe . Have heard of good fish from few others, yrs ago. Congrats.

Jhass
02-20-2013, 07:01 PM
Pics please:)

I wish I had some good pics to show yea but I was by myself and left my phone in my truck. The action was good to the point where i was pretty much glued to my seat. Only time I got up was to take a **** I think lol:) I did however snap a pic of the feast afterwords which shows the 3 biggest fried up and on a large plate. I only took that to send to my sister to rub it in on the day she missed out on because she ditched me that morning haha. Anyways if you're interested in seeing that I could try and upload it to the thread. 3 perch fillin up a large plate aint a bad snack in my books eh. But since the limit is only 5 on that lake... if you want a nice meal you gotta bring home the big ones. Thanks for looking

kevinhits
02-20-2013, 07:07 PM
Congrats...

Was down at my cabin in Montana fishing Murphy lake( known for lots of perch, but small). My son was outfishing me, pretty emberasing, and we both ended up with about 30 perch in 2 hours...Just ready to leave and I give my rod to my youngest ( 6 years old) and the tip was heading down the hole. Pulled up a 10 incher which is my PB. Have only fished for perch a few times and was quite excited as perch fishing around Calgary is pretty LIMITED..LOL

It was a great family day out with the kids and PAPA too...Kept the bait going for the kids while I fished as well...HAHA

Jhass
02-20-2013, 07:08 PM
Think I've got 8yrs of trying,could stretch one to 12" maybe . Have heard of good fish from few others, yrs ago. Congrats.
Yea they can be hard to find sometimes but they're definately there. Remember that the bigger ones school together so if you punch a hole in the ice and catch a little guy... it's best to keep looking cause that's all your gonna get. Also once you find that gold mine of larger ones, be prepared to see a few walleyes as well. Walleyes are fairly uncommon in this lake but you'll usually find acouple in with the jumbos. Thanks for lookin man and good luck!

Jhass
02-20-2013, 07:13 PM
Congrats...

Was down at my cabin in Montana fishing Murphy lake( known for lots of perch, but small). My son was outfishing me, pretty emberasing, and we both ended up with about 30 perch in 2 hours...Just ready to leave and I give my rod to my youngest ( 6 years old) and the tip was heading down the hole. Pulled up a 10 incher which is my PB. Have only fished for perch a few times and was quite excited as perch fishing around Calgary is pretty LIMITED..LOL

It was a great family day out with the kids and PAPA too...Kept the bait going for the kids while I fished as well...HAHA
Wow nice to hear! 10 inchers are a nice jumbo size and make a good fry. Always good to hear the kids have fun on the ice. Thanks for sharing

Jhass
02-20-2013, 07:44 PM
I've been getting quite a lot of pm's regarding the set up I use.... so instead of explaining 1 by 1 I'll just add the info to this thread. All i've ever used was small tear drop jigs light green or yellow in colour. Make sure they are small (no bigger than your pinky finger nail) as perch have a small mouth. I have a few small unique jigs which are a mixture of colour. I have one which is half light green and half yellow and another that's orange and yellow. For bait I just use large maggots which can be bought at Caroline fishing store for a few bucks a bag and they work great... just throw a few on each jig and you're good to go. Also, I attach a "flasher" on my main line about 15" above the jig. It helps a lot to attract the fish and once they see that jig with bait they will not resist the tendency to hit it. You can use really anything that's shiny for a flasher like a small spoon but a swivel spinner works the best. Since the small jig is soo light in weight you will need to add a sinker to the bottom of your main line. Have your Jig about 12" above the sinker and throw it right down to the bottom. Perch aren't a "surface" fish... just like the walleyes they like to hug the mud bottom. Hopefully that helps fellas. If you need any other info just ask. Goodluck!

ogre
02-20-2013, 08:29 PM
Jhass, you are awesome for sharing your positive experience, and not withholding your methods. I will definitely give your method a try when I am out hunting perch, mostly on another lake, but should work to similar degrees of success.
I would love to see pictures of the sumptuous meal you had with the larger perch. I always welcome pictures.
Thanks!

trouty
02-20-2013, 09:15 PM
I've been getting quite a lot of pm's regarding the set up I use.... so instead of explaining 1 by 1 I'll just add the info to this thread. All i've ever used was small tear drop jigs light green or yellow in colour. Make sure they are small (no bigger than your pinky finger nail) as perch have a small mouth. I have a few small unique jigs which are a mixture of colour. I have one which is half light green and half yellow and another that's orange and yellow. For bait I just use large maggots which can be bought at Caroline fishing store for a few bucks a bag and they work great... just throw a few on each jig and you're good to go. Also, I attach a "flasher" on my main line about 15" above the jig. It helps a lot to attract the fish and once they see that jig with bait they will not resist the tendency to hit it. You can use really anything that's shiny for a flasher like a small spoon but a swivel spinner works the best. Since the small jig is soo light in weight you will need to add a sinker to the bottom of your main line. Have your Jig about 12" above the sinker and throw it right down to the bottom. Perch aren't a "surface" fish... just like the walleyes they like to hug the mud bottom. Hopefully that helps fellas. If you need any other info just ask. Goodluck!

so your weight is on the main line, jig is on a tag off the main line 12" above? how deep are you fishing? thanks.

Jhass
02-20-2013, 09:16 PM
I've been trying to upload that picture but I keep getting the message "upload failed." Not sure why it isn't working. I'll continue to try and figure it out... sorry fellas. I am able to upload other ones however showing another set up I use and the jigs I described for reference.

Jack&7
02-20-2013, 09:17 PM
I am with Ogre on this Jhass..

For someone who hasn't posted a ton, thats a helluva start! Bravo sir

and I would like to see thise pics a s well.

Jhass
02-20-2013, 09:23 PM

Few pics earlier in the morning with a smaller northern as well. Also that set up is without the "flasher" but rather a double jig rig. Same thing but you replace the top jig with the flasher in the other method I explained... but instead of having it just dangling off the line, attach the flasher to the main line itself. I will continue to try to upload that other picture you guys wish to see. The benefit of the double jig is that "you will" pull 2 of em up at a time quite a bit. Why only catch one when you can catch 2 right? lol Thanks for looking

Jhass
02-20-2013, 09:57 PM

Here's the fried feast that people wanted to see, I guess I had to "resize" the image for upload. And for those wondering... I never fillet my perch or batter them in flour. I fry em just like that right on the pan with butter and fresh onions sprinkled in lemon pepper. After that I chop a fresh lemon in half and drizzle the juices all over the fish. Mmmmm makes me hungry again already thinking about it. Perch imo are by far the best tasting fresh water fish! Anyways, if you guys want I could post a video on how to clean and cook the fish for those who aren't sure. If your also wondering about the bones... the meat literally falls right off that back bone as easy as a red hot knife slicing through a stick of butter. You need to cook em right though, golden brown is the way to go. And sorry for those who are hungry viewing that... I feel your pain hahaha. Anyways take care guys

Jhass
02-20-2013, 10:06 PM
so your weight is on the main line, jig is on a tag off the main line 12" above? how deep are you fishing? thanks.

Just for you Trouty... I did a little sketch for yea to help you out but you basically got the point. Sorry my artistic skills suck.:)

Garry B
02-21-2013, 02:14 AM
Perch imo are by far the best tasting fresh water fish!

Ageed! I want to try your cooking method. Thank you.

Rabdo
02-21-2013, 04:09 AM
thanks for sharing jhass, i'm gonna try your perch cooking method whenever i get my hands on some decent sized ones

Kim473
02-21-2013, 06:09 AM
Perch are boneless fillets for me. Only keep over 8" ers If there are bigger ones, will only keep the bigger ones. 5X - 12" are better than 10X - 8" ers

ogre
02-21-2013, 09:39 AM
Thanks again, JHass, you're a gem!
That perch meal does make me want to run out off work and drive to the nearest perch lake.
On a related side note (and PR for a great supporter of the Boys&Girls fishing event), Garry had donated some sweet jigs, that combined with the setup JHass uses should be a potent rig. I'd caught several perch, and lots of rainbow trouts on those little hooks.

kevinhits
02-21-2013, 10:15 AM
I think this was what jHass was refering to...

I was SLAYING (OOPS) perch and trout at chain with this Jig..

He is my new best friend..lol

Sorry, perch was in Montana

Jhass
02-21-2013, 10:36 AM
I think this was what jHass was refering to...

I was SLAYING (OOPS) perch and trout at chain with this Jig..

He is my new best friend..lol

Sorry, perch was in Montana

Yup you got the right idea Kevinhits, Little jigs like that are exactly what i'm talking about. You cant keep em off it.

kevinhits
02-21-2013, 10:40 AM
Yup you got the right idea Kevinhits, Little jigs like that are exactly what i'm talking about. You cant keep em off it.

They are the bomb eh...LOL

Jhass
02-21-2013, 08:05 PM
They are the bomb eh...LOL

Haha yes they are