PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Boat Steering System?

trapshooter
02-21-2013, 10:14 PM
Hey All,
I have a 14' aluminum boat and an evinrude 8hp outboard. It is tiller steering but I was wondering about making it so I could steer it with a steering wheel. I know it is possible and lots of different options, just wondering if anyone has done it or what would you recommend?

Kyle
02-21-2013, 10:38 PM
1 word...why?

The Fisherman Guy
02-22-2013, 12:00 AM
Hi Trap

You never give up on the projects! Good!

I have built/re built a few. Cable and pulley systems are probably your most cost effective, but lack in throttle control and steering tightness. I didn't like the cable and pulley system because it felt too loose, and I didn't want to lose control of steering and throttle at speed in case the cable broke!

You might be able to pick up a used throttle assembly and hydraulic steering cable all in one. Then all you need is a wheel and a console.

Keep in mind, it will limit your boat space quite a bit!

What's wrong with yer tiller!?!

There's guys who rock 18ft tillers with 175 Outboards, to maximize space and usability of their craft.

AppleJax
02-22-2013, 12:00 AM
Whoever said "if it aint broke don't fix it" never owned a boat! I'm sure there would be a kit available somewhere..

Bowfloat
02-22-2013, 06:53 AM
Stick steer cable system and it will not take up as much room as a steering wheel.

calgarygringo
02-22-2013, 07:00 AM
The steering part is easy. I have 2 engines on my boat and the 15hp we use for trolling has a setup on i that hooks into the steering system with the other motor but i am sure i could do the small motor only if I wanted to. If you need a steering column etc. I have my old one hiding at my house that I have on my move it out list if that helps. Has a metal console, steering wheel and cabling.