PDA

View Full Version : Ice Fishing Chestermere Lake

TheBatman
02-22-2013, 10:50 AM
Hi,

I plan on to try my luck this weekend and Chestermere Lake, pretty much because its 20 min drive away. Got skunked and stuck in a blizzard last weekend at Spray Lakes. They closed the road down into Canmore and had to take the "Scenic route" back.

Is the ice still really thick at Chestermere?

Any recommendations on a good fishing spot on the lake?

What depth works best (I use an old fish finder)?

Are smelts and worms ok to use at Chestermere?

Thanks everybody!

Josh

Pikehunter13
02-22-2013, 08:12 PM
Hi,

I plan on to try my luck this weekend and Chestermere Lake, pretty much because its 20 min drive away. Got skunked and stuck in a blizzard last weekend at Spray Lakes. They closed the road down into Canmore and had to take the "Scenic route" back.

Is the ice still really thick at Chestermere?

Any recommendations on a good fishing spot on the lake?

What depth works best (I use an old fish finder)?

Are smelts and worms ok to use at Chestermere?

Thanks everybody!

Josh
Don't waste your time and gas and the risk of hitting ground on your auger.
Just go to crawling valley. Only an hour and 15 mins away from chesterslough.

fishdude17
02-22-2013, 10:26 PM
Don't waste your time and gas and the risk of hitting ground on your auger.
Just go to crawling valley. Only an hour and 15 mins away from chesterslough.

@Pikehunter13

Were you drilling holes 2' from shore or something? :thinking-006:

@TheBatman:

Ice is still plenty thick at Chestermere. Go to the south end of the lake, you dont have to go very far out from shore to get into 6-8' of water. Just look for where other people have drilled holes. Smelts and worms are good, if you have any doubts check the regs. No monsters in there but usually lots of action with the hammer handles. Hope this helps.

TheBatman
03-01-2013, 07:28 PM
Hey thanks for the replies. I was planning on heading out tomorrow to Chestermere. I was out there today in town and the lake looks a litte sketchy to be on. Is it still safe after all this warm weather?

fishdude17
03-01-2013, 07:59 PM
It's been about a week and a half since I was out there last, but I'm pretty sure its ok. You'll probably see plenty of people out there, good luck!

BeeGuy
03-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Hey thanks for the replies. I was planning on heading out tomorrow to Chestermere. I was out there today in town and the lake looks a litte sketchy to be on. Is it still safe after all this warm weather?

If you question the ice integrity, test it.

2nd hand ice info doesnt keep you safe and dry.