PDA

View Full Version : Help Appreciated

Momof4photos
02-22-2013, 01:21 PM
I know I'm going out on a limb, but if anyone would be so kind as to letting me know how Ghost Res. or Travers Res., or anywhere around Calgary which has been productive for ice fishing the past few days. Taking our 4 kids out & have been skunked all year! If you don't want to post, please mail me. Thanks Laura
I sincerely appreciate any response!!

SCHOOCH
02-22-2013, 01:51 PM
Check out the thread "excellent week" looks like they've been doing pretty good at Eagle or try Chestemere which is usually pretty productive expecially when kids are the concern (not after trophys). S

Scott N
02-22-2013, 02:02 PM
Ghost isn't really known to produce a lot for most people. It's not that people don't catch fish there, or have good days, but I don't think most would recommend it for kids unless you've done your homework out there. Most people recommend Chain Lakes west of Nanton for kids if they want a good chance of catching fish.

iliketrout
02-22-2013, 02:38 PM
Another vote for Chain. You're only going to catch small trout and small suckers, but you should be able to catch something. We had our best luck with very small jigs (size 10 or 12 hooks) with a small piece of worm or shrimp. Velveeta cheese and powerbait also worked. Fish just off the bottom, in about 20 feet of water. This lake is quite busy, so just set up in the same general area as the others in order to find a decent spot.

Kawibunga
02-22-2013, 02:52 PM
Another vote for Chain Lakes. I'd never been there before and fished on Monday on the North end with my two boys, 6 & 8. Lots of bites. Landed 6 and one sucker over an hour or two.

I also met a very nice gentlemen who waved me over and was a great help. I'll do a separate write up thanking him with some pics later one when I have time

Magots and powerbait and corn all on small jigs worked. The morning was fine but the bite died down around lunch time.

Hope that helps!

Momof4photos
02-22-2013, 03:03 PM
Thank you all, maybe thats a good idea, as I'm a photographer & you get the best of both worlds!!! Give & take, thats what it's all about!! Ghost is one of those beautiful places, but yes, slow for fishing~used to get lots of burbot, occasional trout & whitefish, lately nothing! LOL, we'll be taking the sleds as well! Good luck to everyone heading out. Laura

iliketrout
02-22-2013, 03:20 PM
Just a heads up, there wasn't much snow on the ground and very little on the ice when we were there.

SCHOOCH
02-22-2013, 04:15 PM
Yup i agree Chain is the best choice, just be aware that the Boys & Girls Clubs fun day that the AO members put on is tomorrow (Fed 23) so it might be pretty busy.......

iliketrout
02-22-2013, 04:49 PM
Yup i agree Chain is the best choice, just be aware that the Boys & Girls Clubs fun day that the AO members put on is tomorrow (Fed 23) so it might be pretty busy.......

It's all good, we're going to be in one area that is roped off from the public. We aren't going to take up much real estate.