PDA

View Full Version : Lake Maquillan

Southern-Fisher
02-22-2013, 08:50 PM
Hi Everyone,

New to the forum. Just wondering if anyone has tried ice fishing at Lake Maquillan (near Coaldale) recently? I tried fishing it this summer without any luck, so it would probably be unwise to expect too much, but I live in Coaldale so it is convenient. Any responses would be great.....

jrs
02-22-2013, 09:47 PM
I'd stay off the ice, pretty poor conditions. As for the fishing, the reservoirs around town are a better bet.

Southern-Fisher
02-23-2013, 08:35 AM
JRS,

Thanks for the reply...it sort of confirms my initial thoughts about the place. In terms of trout fishing at the reservoirs, I've been out to Milk River ridge a number of times. We mainly fished just off the "rock" dock at the Ridge campground. I've done well in terms of catching walleye and some pike (leeches, smelts) but no trout. Are there trout to be had in there? If anyone has thoughts on this, I would love to hear them.

Wes_G
02-23-2013, 09:18 AM
I am sure there are a few trout in some of the irrigation reservoirs but if thats what you specifically trying to catch, you will likely be dissappointed. If you want trout then hit up the stocked lakes.

J.B.
02-23-2013, 09:38 AM
Chances of catching a trout in any of the southern reservoirs are slim...if you want a trout the closest to lethbridge is kenex pond...its always good for a couple small ones...mcquillan is all but dead...

jrs
02-23-2013, 09:45 AM
You are on the right track thinking stocked pond but youll find many of the ones around Lethbridge/Coaldale area are very tough in the winter. Part of the issue is the oxygen gets really low due to all the weeds/shallow nature of the ponds and the fish aren't real active till ice out. Additionally, lots of food. If you want to catch a bunch of trout, its worth the drive west to lakes that are a bit deeper/less productive during the winter.

Southern-Fisher
02-23-2013, 09:51 AM
Thanks to everyone for the feedback.