PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever caught their dog?

Jack&7
02-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Well...

The GF and I went out for a little fishing trip yesterday. We decided to take the new puppy (about 5 months old) to see how she would do.

For the most part she was fine, however the puppy curiosity got the better of her a few times. She stepped in a hole and had a real hoot digging in the ics shavings from the auger. She didn't know what to do with herself when she came face-to-face with a 7 pound pike on the ice...it was pretty cute and funny.

But...the fun ended when I was taking a new mackeral on one of my custom bait rigs out to re-bait the tip-up I just got the 7 pounder on. As I am walking, Charlie comes up behind me and tries to snatch the mackeral that was dangling about mid thigh and slightly behind me. All of a sudden I feel this tug, and I think to myself, "WTF????".

Of course, the shock sets in once I turn to see Charlie with the mackeral in her mouth and now one hook from the treble is firmly poked through her upper lip. Well...she didn't freak out right away. But once I grabbed her and tried to keep her still, then she realized something was wrong. The squirming began...and I am trying to get her under control as fast as I can before more hooks get in her.

I basically had to squat over her and get her between my legs and grab her snout so that her mouth would stay open. I got really lucky that no other hooks got her and she was really lucky the barbs were pinched! I shudder to think how ugly this would've gotten if they weren't! The hook popped out and she seems no worse for wear...but she calmed down significantly after that. the 'puppy curiosity' seemed to be satisfied...

On a side note, I will say she fought better than that 7 pounder! Just kidding...I felt so bad for her.

On another side note, I will say that while the fish were not too aggressive yesterday, I have never seen so many fish at one time on the cam. All day, we had fish swimming in and out and at one time, 5 were circling the jigs....all in the 3-4 pound range. It was pretty cool to watch.

It took every damn hook in the tackle box to get what we did...10 landed, 3 missed...and one dog.:scared:

The 7 and another 5 pounder came home with us. And yes...Charlie is a cutie.

pike_king780
02-23-2013, 11:07 AM
lol lucky forsure!! cute dog!! i have never caught my dog lol although ive had close encounters with baited hooks, and man did my dog ever become extremely interested wheni landed this one burb, was tooo funny.. ill try and dig up a pic sometime today

Wild&Free
02-23-2013, 11:30 AM
An ex of mine had a little border collie that loved to chase my lures as I was casting. She'd always take nips at it on my back cast and at times would leap after it as I released. Was amusing at times when she ended up in the water, but I was always worried she'd actually grab my hook one day on the back cast and I'd tear her lips off. It never happened but always had me worried.

Fer-Tak-Er
02-23-2013, 11:48 AM
I have always been worried on the ice. I let my dog run around a bit when we first get on. She likes to sniff stuff out while I rig up. But have always been worried that she finds an old smelt with a hook in it some time. Kind of scarry.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
02-23-2013, 11:48 AM
My dog stays home or goes to the kennel when I am gone fishing or hunting . I don't wanna be that guy who is screaming at there dog to get over here or chasing it . Infact I can't stand when people do that , then there mutt gets caught in the lines or gets a perky new piercing then buddy comes over screaming at you I tell buddy to shut his lips his mutt came running over . Long story short leave your mutt at home .

Elkhunt
02-23-2013, 12:13 PM
Glad your dog is fine. Kinda funny but Kinda not too

kingshow
02-23-2013, 01:02 PM
Reminds of the time my wife put a couple treble hooks from a rapala into our little guy on the boat. I felt so bad for him, but thank god for barbless hooks! Just a little chunk of fur and some little puncture wounds. I asked the vet if he needed a tetanus shot, and he said tetnus doesn't happen to dogs. Apparently only horses and such are. Glad your dog is ok

AppleJax
02-23-2013, 01:12 PM
My dog stays home or goes to the kennel when I am gone fishing or hunting . I don't wanna be that guy who is screaming at there dog to get over here or chasing it . Infact I can't stand when people do that , then there mutt gets caught in the lines or gets a perky new piercing then buddy comes over screaming at you I tell buddy to shut his lips his mutt came running over . Long story short leave your mutt at home .

Id have to disagree John, not all dogs are alike. My dog comes fishing with me lots, even been on your boat. If i do recall correctly she behaved pretty well...:)

Kgz
02-23-2013, 01:28 PM
Was walking around our local trout pond with my sons lab pup, some slob had left a baited j-hook with a piece of line attached laying in the grass. Being a lab that will eat anything, she scarfed it down. I saw the piece of line going down her throat and grabbed it , not wanting it to end up in her belly I tried to ease it back out, no luck, got stuck in her throat. $ 400.00 vet bill to remove it,barbed hook no less and yes she was on leash.

Winch101
02-23-2013, 02:08 PM
Same thing ,took the Griffon to CVR when. he was maybe 3 mos old .

Gets out of the truck ,runs down to the shore comes back with a pickerel

Rig in his mouth ,still minnows on the hooks . Little did I know that

This was the beginning of garbage heaven , his best find full deer carcass

Dragged it back.....he can run at full gallop and scoop up deer turds

With no trouble at all. I only let him kiss people I don't care for.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
02-23-2013, 02:23 PM
Id have to disagree John, not all dogs are alike. My dog comes fishing with me lots, even been on your boat. If i do recall correctly she behaved pretty well...:)

Ok your right , but you also don't let her run around and get into other people's business . How many times have we been fishing the river and someone's mutt comes tarring into our business . I re thought what I was saying as I thought about your dog .

Jack&7
02-23-2013, 03:50 PM
I hear ya John....I don't want to be 'that guy' either. I plan to take her fishing again...but there will be an ice anchor and a length of rope attached to her collar. As we were alone yesterday, I let her run free. But I do believe owners should keep their animals under control and out of everyone's stuff.

AppleJax
02-23-2013, 04:29 PM
Ok your right , but you also don't let her run around and get into other people's business . How many times have we been fishing the river and someone's mutt comes tarring into our business . I re thought what I was saying as I thought about your dog .

I do understand what you mean about people keeping there dog under control and how agrevating it can be. Even Bella has got herself into trouble before out fishing, and when I notice it I correct her behaviour or tie her up/throw her in the truck(not literally) I bare the risk and responsibility of all her actions and if she gets in chit its my fault, not hers. And I will apologize to those affected.

Kim473
02-24-2013, 03:44 AM
I agree ! If your dog is not trained well and gets into others business, leave it at home. Or make sure its tied up.
I have had too many encounters with other peoples dogs getting tangled up in lines, taking fish etc....
Was at Isle Lake once and this husky came from about 1/2 mile away and tried to take some perch. Did'nt feel sorry at all for the woman chasing it down to get it back home.