PDA

View Full Version : Sturgeon Fishing Help Needed

Mikezilk
02-23-2013, 12:49 PM
Looking to get out sturgeon fishing this year. Have a few of us that want to try to land some sturgeon out of our kayaks.

Need to know some locations to try and what to use for hook.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

FishingZach
02-23-2013, 12:58 PM
Where abouts do u want to fish ? If we know that we can help ya out . The typical offering is a “glob” of worms on a snelled hook run from a three-way swivel. A pyramid weight is attached to the other side of the swivel, adjusting the amount of weight. That's how I've caught my sturgeons .

Mikezilk
02-23-2013, 01:01 PM
Looking for somewhere within a 2-3 hour drive from Edmonton, or Calgary or pretty much anywhere. Need to get sturgeon from kayak off my list.

FishingZach
02-23-2013, 01:09 PM
"I know that by legends golf course there is good sturgeon fishing. I have caught tons there . If u can find a river "hole" I'm the water with slow current cast out there and test your luck . It's a patient sport and especially fishing for sturgeon . There insane creaturs to catch though . You could also try to find a hole by Devon.

Mikezilk
02-23-2013, 01:18 PM
Are you setting on bottom? I think I get your design. Weight on one side of 3 way swivel to hold bait in place on bottom so it doesn't go downstream. snelled hook on other side with worms bouncing around on bottom... Is that about right?

Also what size snelled hook are you using and line weight?

FishingZach
02-23-2013, 02:00 PM
Ya that's the base idea . The hook size honestly changes for me cause I use what I have lol I have 18 pound test mono, fire action line. And ya I'm setting on bottom

Mikezilk
02-23-2013, 02:11 PM
Cool. Got a new medium heavy baitcast setup I am gonna rig up for this. Do you bring in slack to bend rod tip, or leave somewhat loose?

Mikezilk
02-23-2013, 02:14 PM
also, any idea where near Devon? Both spots will be easy for kayak fishing. Could be a great time.

FishingZach
02-23-2013, 02:20 PM
I just fish by the Devon bridge . Personally i leave it somewhat loose cause if a big sturgeon. Runs for it u need it to be loose or ure lines gone . You Rly have to play sturgeon to get them in. But ya like I said, ya need to look for deep holes to cast your line in . I'm gonna try legends probably this week.

Mikezilk
02-23-2013, 03:16 PM
well I guess it is a good thing I just got a new Elite 5 DSI finder. Thanks for the tips. I will be heading out to try my luck once my new kayak comes.

FishingZach
02-23-2013, 03:39 PM
Ya no problem ! Good luck . And if u do catch ure sturgeon you better post a pic . Lol

pike_king780
02-23-2013, 03:53 PM
I just fish by the Devon bridge . Personally i leave it somewhat loose cause if a big sturgeon. Runs for it u need it to be loose or ure lines gone . You Rly have to play sturgeon to get them in. But ya like I said, ya need to look for deep holes to cast your line in . I'm gonna try legends probably this week.

When i rig up for sturgeon i have a lever drag bait cast reel loaded with 80# braided line, I use a slip sinker rig, similar to your 3 way design only I set my reel up just perfect so current doesnt take it downstream but if a sturgeon bites on it he can run for dozens of yards (i use a circle hook). slip sinking allows him to take the bait without feeling the weight taht a 3 way swivel will create. i dont agree with using light linebecause they are sucgh a strong, prestine fish i would hate to break off in his mouth and have him swallowing my hooks and possibly dying., other than that, worms, deep holes work. alot of people i talk to use p-rigs with worms. i still opt for the slip sinker rig though.

edit: i use my baitclicker with spool set up for just the right amount of drag, give it about 5 seconds straight with it clicking before slowly setting the hook (circles dont need to really be reefed on all that much) plus i have over 300 yard of line on so i am not concerned really how far he runs. i use heavy line because id rather horse him back to shore, take quick pic and release, than fight for a hour only to have him come in and realease him and hes to tired to swim properly and potentially dies.

FishingZach
02-23-2013, 04:43 PM
I agree with having bigger line . But I use what I got, if I have lighter line I just have to play the fish more

Mikezilk
02-23-2013, 05:20 PM
any chance of getting a pic of your setup put up here? Would be easier to figure it out that way.

pike_king780
02-23-2013, 05:29 PM
any chance of getting a pic of your setup put up here? Would be easier to figure it out that way.

yes i will post mine shortly..

EZM
02-23-2013, 05:33 PM
If you are kayakin' you will have a HUGE advantage over shore guys.

1) locate a hole
2) Move 20 yards up steam and anchor up.
3) send your presentation down stream to the hole and set your stuff on the upstream side.

In this case I run;

Med/Heavy 8' rod
80lb braid
to a in-line sinker
24"-36" of fluorocarbon leader 50 lb double snelled hooks

On the leader I run a bead/spin n glow or lindy cork/bead to create turbulence and have the bait bounce off the bottom and rise an inch or two above the mud.

Stack as many dirty slimy disgusting dew worms on the hooks and you are in business.

Money back guarantee ............

pike_king780
02-23-2013, 05:35 PM
here is my set up, obviously my hooked line is just coiled up for picture purposes, its roughly 18 inches long when stretched.

pike_king780
02-23-2013, 05:36 PM
LMAO ok wow, im sorry loooong day at work. my set up in those pics are backwards lol so reverse them and you get the idea :bad_boys_20::bad_boys_20::bad_boys_20::bad_boys_2 0:

pike_king780
02-23-2013, 05:41 PM
blah sorry for multiple pposts. again, very mentally draining day lol yup thats my excuse and im sticking to it, either way. here is my REAL sturgeon set up, 68338

Mikezilk
02-23-2013, 05:52 PM
awesome.. thanks guys.. I cant wait to get out and try. What is the best time of year to get sturgeon?

pike_king780
02-23-2013, 05:59 PM
awesome.. thanks guys.. I cant wait to get out and try. What is the best time of year to get sturgeon?

this i am unsure about im betting theres alot of guys on here that can give proper advice on this one, in fact if wayne hadnt left hed be the prime guy to talk to really. i know buckbrushoutdoors (i tink tahts his name) knows quite a bit about sturgeon too. maybe search him out and send him a pm. good luck though!!

FishingZach
02-23-2013, 06:07 PM
blah sorry for multiple pposts. again, very mentally draining day lol yup thats my excuse and im sticking to it, either way. here is my REAL sturgeon set up, 68338

That is prty much the same set up as mine . It works good to

FishingZach
02-23-2013, 06:10 PM
This I'm not totally sure on but me and my buddies go closer to the end of the year but not to late . During what some people call the " sturgeon run " BUT ALSO u can go early spring and my friend who guides sturgeon tours take people out then

Smoolodag
02-24-2013, 01:12 AM
I am looking for a fishing charter out of Venice, LA and one that can accommodate 8-10....maybe 12 people. Not sure if this is possible....thats why I posting this. Im possibly interested in a fishing lodging combo also. Does anybody have any suggestions?

AppleJax
02-24-2013, 07:45 AM
How do you plan on landing your Sturgeon from a Kayak? Are you going to move to shore once its on? I would take into consideration the fish's well being over the bragging rights of landing one on a Kayak. Wrestling a potentially 40 pound fish lined with razors on its back doesn't sound very fun on a kayak lol.

pike_king780
02-24-2013, 07:48 AM
How do you plan on landing your Sturgeon from a Kayak? Are you going to move to shore once its on? I would take into consideration the fish's well being over the bragging rights of landing one on a Kayak. Wrestling a potentially 40 pound fish lined with razors on its back doesn't sound very fun on a kayak lol.

yaa for me i totally agree although ive seen a bunch of shows when they safely fish the fraiser river for sturgeon with success and little harm to the fish. when done properly by someone who knows what their doing in the kayak(not me lol) it can forsure be done! good luck though lol,.

Mikezilk
02-24-2013, 09:54 AM
Landing a big fish from a kayak is actually easier and less stressful on a fish than landing one from a boat. I sit 6-8 inches above the water and can use my legs to cradle the fish and assist me in landing it. Going to shore to land one is done for the bigger sturgeon, say 6-10+ feet. Kayak fishing allows you to use lighter tackle and use the kayak as a drag system. Kayaks are used by fishermen all over the world to land fish of every size.

And it is not about bragging rights, it is about enjoying the sport of sustainable fishing and to get exercise while doing it.

Check out kayak fishing on Youtube and you will be amazed at what people catch, with very little harm to the fish.

BGSH
02-24-2013, 09:57 AM
Fishing the n s r the last several years and i have only hooked into two sturgeon although never tried fishing strictly for sturgeon, got spooled by both and both caught well fishing for walleye using a small floater small minnow set up, this was at herm the probably 6 years ago now, i am an ultra light fisherman and nothing i could do about hooking into one except hang on for the ride, last year a friend of mine snagged a sturgeon by accident well using a jig, a small 20 inch sturgeon, i think this year i may try for sturgeon all though you may be waiting for hours before you get that one bite, it's not like none stop walleye pike action you gotta really put some time in if you want to hook into one of these historic fish but sometimes one gets lucky, was walking the banks on the n.s.r yesterday looking for some holes that probably have never been fished before from shore, caught some pike, its almost a death trap walking step banks to get to some of these holes, good luck

buckbrushoutdoors
02-24-2013, 01:44 PM
When i rig up for sturgeon i have a lever drag bait cast reel loaded with 80# braided line, I use a slip sinker rig, similar to your 3 way design only I set my reel up just perfect so current doesnt take it downstream but if a sturgeon bites on it he can run for dozens of yards (i use a circle hook). slip sinking allows him to take the bait without feeling the weight taht a 3 way swivel will create. i dont agree with using light linebecause they are sucgh a strong, prestine fish i would hate to break off in his mouth and have him swallowing my hooks and possibly dying., other than that, worms, deep holes work. alot of people i talk to use p-rigs with worms. i still opt for the slip sinker rig though.

edit: i use my baitclicker with spool set up for just the right amount of drag, give it about 5 seconds straight with it clicking before slowly setting the hook (circles dont need to really be reefed on all that much) plus i have over 300 yard of line on so i am not concerned really how far he runs. i use heavy line because id rather horse him back to shore, take quick pic and release, than fight for a hour only to have him come in and realease him and hes to tired to swim properly and potentially dies.

This is good advice.

farmsniper
02-26-2013, 12:20 PM
How many oz sinker do you typically use?

dodgeboy1979
02-26-2013, 01:34 PM
Quite a few good sturgeon holes around Lloydminster you could kayak at as well. My rig is a standard pickeral rig with the pyramid weight (2oz). The bottom hook is 40lb mono with a steel hook, the top is a smaller hook i bait for walleye. For sturgeon bait i have good luck with dew worms like stated above and chunks of hotdog.

ak-71
02-26-2013, 03:45 PM
Ya no problem ! Good luck . And if u do catch ure sturgeon you better post a pic . Lol

And if sturgeon catches you, arrange with your friends to post some :)
Good luck!

cube
02-27-2013, 11:40 AM
Landing a big fish from a kayak is actually easier and less stressful on a fish than landing one from a boat. I sit 6-8 inches above the water and can use my legs to cradle the fish and assist me in landing it. Going to shore to land one is done for the bigger sturgeon, say 6-10+ feet. Kayak fishing allows you to use lighter tackle and use the kayak as a drag system. Kayaks are used by fishermen all over the world to land fish of every size.

And it is not about bragging rights, it is about enjoying the sport of sustainable fishing and to get exercise while doing it.

Check out kayak fishing on Youtube and you will be amazed at what people catch, with very little harm to the fish.

It should be a hoot. I do have a couple of questions for you if I might.

1 You said you could use your legs to cradle the smaller fish but if I recall is it not the smaller fish that have the razor sharp Ganoid scales along their sides?

2 You said that you can use lighter tackle because you can use the Kayak as a drag but since you will be anchored I don't see how that would work or are you planning on having a buddy there to pull the anchor for you if you hook a larger one like in Jim Sammons http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF0dlh2lxDA

Just curious

Mikezilk
02-27-2013, 12:18 PM
It should be a hoot. I do have a couple of questions for you if I might.

1 You said you could use your legs to cradle the smaller fish but if I recall is it not the smaller fish that have the razor sharp Ganoid scales along their sides?

2 You said that you can use lighter tackle because you can use the Kayak as a drag but since you will be anchored I don't see how that would work or are you planning on having a buddy there to pull the anchor for you if you hook a larger one like in Jim Sammons http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF0dlh2lxDA

Just curious

Depending on the size of the fish, you can slide your legs into the water and get em under the fish and as far as the anchor goes, I have a quick release with a buoy to recover the anchor later.

cube
02-27-2013, 03:42 PM
Depending on the size of the fish, you can slide your legs into the water and get em under the fish and as far as the anchor goes, I have a quick release with a buoy to recover the anchor later.

But would not sliding your legs into the water under the fish not put them at risk with the strugeons very sharp slide plate scales? And wouldn't the drag of the kayak only be effective if the sturgeon goes upstream?

Mikezilk
02-27-2013, 03:50 PM
I think people need to realize that if I tie into a larger sturgeon I will fight it from the kayak and land it at shore. Smaller fish up to 50ish lbs can be landed in the kayak. And the fight usually goes upstream and downstream with a big fish. I don't plan on fishing in calls 4 rapids either.

Mikezilk
02-27-2013, 04:11 PM
and as the Sturgeon ages the razor sharp bones disappear. If you watch videos etc, you will see many people holding the sturgeon and not getting cut!!

pike_king780
02-27-2013, 06:19 PM
How many oz sinker do you typically use?

Varies depending on current. Sometimes i chuck up to 12 oz just depends on spot and current etc.

Dale S
02-28-2013, 06:25 AM
12 ozs maybe in the Fraser,but not in our river systems.The most we've used is 6 ozs.I think I would start by landing a few from shore first. The only way to pick those fish up by hand, is to grab them by the tail.Once you get them in the boat they don't stop thrashing around.Anything over 3' long is hard to land by yourself.Anything shorter will cut you up if not handled right.Don't use too light of tackle it's best for the fish to get them in as fast as you can and get them back in the water.It sucks when you lose a big fish because you didnt have big enough equipment.

Mikezilk
02-28-2013, 09:55 AM
I am going meet up with a AO member in Edmonton closer to the time I head out and he is going to help rig me up. I have fished large fish and dangerous fish and realize the importance of tailing a fish, or choosing to abandon ship and land from shore..lol

I can't wait for open water...

Picked up a new medium heavy rod and baitcast reel and have some good 60lb braid to spool it with...

pike_king780
02-28-2013, 03:35 PM
12 ozs maybe in the Fraser,but not in our river systems.The most we've used is 6 ozs.I think I would start by landing a few from shore first. The only way to pick those fish up by hand, is to grab them by the tail.Once you get them in the boat they don't stop thrashing around.Anything over 3' long is hard to land by yourself.Anything shorter will cut you up if not handled right.Don't use too light of tackle it's best for the fish to get them in as fast as you can and get them back in the water.It sucks when you lose a big fish because you didnt have big enough equipment.

Ive thrown up to 12 in the NSR and it still wasnt enough. fraiser river guides sometimes have to use up to 20 oz believe it or not. fishing from shore is alot different than if you had a boat and can position yourself properly. so i suppose for your needs, 12 is a little much, but for anyone reading this who plans on shore fishing sturgeon, you may need a bit more weight than the boaters.

Dale S
02-28-2013, 05:04 PM
If you need 12ozs to hold it in place your fishing in to strong of current.Or maybe to far out. When there migrating or staging to run upstream, they travel in the slowest current and gather in the slow deep runs.We've caught them 6' from shore in high water.

pike_king780
02-28-2013, 06:11 PM
If you need 12ozs to hold it in place your fishing in to strong of current.Or maybe to far out. When there migrating or staging to run upstream, they travel in the slowest current and gather in the slow deep runs.We've caught them 6' from shore in high water.

Lol good tip, maybe that's my problem lol. :bad_boys_20::sign0161: