PDA

View Full Version : Does naming lakes hurt a fishery

fish_fan
02-24-2013, 12:05 AM
I keep hearing about how strong alberta fishing pressure is. Wouldnt it be great to have a trophy fishery. Even a few bass fanatics out there.

But It seems just counterproductive to name where you went and what spot and advertise how great it was. Hey pm the guy and if he says where he was great. Why do we have to advertise where we went.

Probably the same number of people who disagree with me on this are the same ones who keep trophy fish. Which is the reason im posting this

If the trophy fish were protected by a slot size then i would start naming lakes myself.

What say yee. Does namimg lakes help or hurt a fishery

huntsfurfish
02-24-2013, 12:41 AM
We have had threads on this before:).

But I believe it can do harm. Prior to the internet. It may eventually get out by word of mouth. But that was a much slower process. Lots online now gets out in short order to many more people.

EZM
02-24-2013, 11:41 AM
So maybe there is no point to the forum .......

You wouldn't want to share your lures, presentations or techniques either ......

I love it when someone shares a great secrets - then I don't have to put any time and effort scouting out new lakes, getting to know the lake, determining the presentation, lures etc... etc..

I think posts should include a Google map link, for those of us to lazy to look ourselves, and GPS Coordinates of all your favorite hot spots.

While they are at it they can send me some gas/bait money too.

I agree - there is some real danger on sharing too much info - on the other hand Isn't that the point of the forum?

fish_fan
02-24-2013, 12:23 PM

You wouldn't want to share your lures, presentations or techniques either ......

I love it when someone shares a great secrets - then I don't have to put any time and effort scouting out new lakes, getting to know the lake, determining the presentation, lures etc... etc..

I think posts should include a Google map link, for those of us to lazy to look ourselves, and GPS Coordinates of all your favorite hot spots.

I agree - there is some real danger on sharing too much info - on the other hand Isn't that the point of the forum?

Yes i love hearing i like this brand of product and here is vid or pic of my success. But lets keep the where out of it

Gust
02-24-2013, 12:48 PM
As long as any lake/stream is kept in traditional print (i.e., The Regs, Barry Mitchells guide, Maps, etc), those lakes and streams will never be found, as, most people are too lazy to read through printed matter outside of the Internet.

Mutter87
02-24-2013, 01:03 PM

This is a bit much. The Issue isn't naming lakes, Its keeping fish. Look at PCR, Has that fisherie been decimated? No, Because you can't keep the walleye.

TROLLER
02-24-2013, 01:07 PM
Naming lake does not harm a fishery it kills it.

How many times have we read someone boasting about fishing then the next thing they are crying about it being over fished. A certain perch lake in the Edmt area comes to mind as well as a few nice one's in the so part of the province as well.

Internet is great but in some instances it is very harmfull to the fisheries.

jrs
02-24-2013, 01:19 PM
Naming lake does not harm a fishery it kills it.

How many times have we read someone boasting about fishing then the next thing they are crying about it being over fished. A certain perch lake in the Edmt area comes to mind as well as a few nice one's in the so part of the province as well.

Internet is great but in some instances it is very harmfull to the fisheries.

Ive talked to government managers having difficulty due to the internet. The one set of lakes is only mentioned on here a few times a year but could hardly handle the remote pressure never mind whats been added with the advent of internet directions/tips/ etc. To say it doesn't have a negative impact is truly kidding oneself. Pictures, methods, lures, flies, rods, all great to discuss. Directions to remote fishing holes, shooting ourselves in the foot (especially spots less than a couple hours from Calgary and Edmonton).

Gust
02-24-2013, 01:25 PM
Here's a bit of a derail but oddly on topic,,,

If I'm not allowed to take a quad up a trail, to a lake, in a Provincial Park,, Why do people get to fly helicopters in?

Not all trophy lakes are about size imo and some are not as easy to reach as a lake in the prairies,, I like knowing that people commited to preservation/conservation, have to hike 8 km's or more fore a chance of catching some fish. And, though I understand the cash boon importance of the tourism industry, I am opposed to heli-tours into these once pristine and QUIET places.

huntsfurfish
02-24-2013, 01:29 PM
As long as any lake/stream is kept in traditional print (i.e., The Regs, Barry Mitchells guide, Maps, etc), those lakes and streams will never be found, as, most people are too lazy to read through printed matter outside of the Internet.

Agree:)

Guitarplayingfish
02-24-2013, 01:31 PM
Here's a bit of a derail but oddly on topic,,,

If I'm not allowed to take a quad up a trail, to a lake, in a Provincial Park,, Why do people get to fly helicopters in?

Not all trophy lakes are about size imo and some are not as easy to reach as a lake in the prairies,, I like knowing that people commited to preservation/conservation, have to hike 8 km's or more fore a chance of catching some fish. And, though I understand the cash boon importance of the tourism industry, I am opposed to heli-tours into these once pristine and QUIET places.

Give me an example.

Quads do MAJOR damage to a landscape in comparison to a helicopter... It does not even compare.

huntsfurfish
02-24-2013, 01:32 PM
Give me an example.

Quads do MAJOR damage to a landscape in comparison to a helicopter... It does not even compare.

Also agree.

Gust
02-24-2013, 01:42 PM
A helicopter disrupts the comfort level of all creatures in the vicinity with the whap whap whap of the blades and can trigger small rockslides and/or avalanches. It's not exactly an electric razor buzzing along and landing like a pleasant butterfly on a leaf. It kicks up dust too, and blows little critters out of their homes (e.g., alpine bee's, chipmunks, a yet undiscovered ant colony, etc), so that whole schpiel about not disrupting the natural cause of things kinda goes out the window. A helicopter is very invasive, even if you are blind and deaf.

I don't quad, just pointing out a blur.

Guitarplayingfish
02-24-2013, 02:24 PM
A helicopter disrupts the comfort level of all creatures in the vicinity with the whap whap whap of the blades and can trigger small rockslides and/or avalanches. It's not exactly an electric razor buzzing along and landing like a pleasant butterfly on a leaf. It kicks up dust too, and blows little critters out of their homes (e.g., alpine bee's, chipmunks, a yet undiscovered ant colony, etc), so that whole schpiel about not disrupting the natural cause of things kinda goes out the window. A helicopter is very invasive, even if you are blind and deaf.

I don't quad, just pointing out a blur.

I agree that helicopters are probably not the way to go... but there are regulations, especially during sensitive times for wildlife.. It is known which areas are sensitive and approximately which time of year a pilot needs to be weary. They obey these regulations (I hope), and there is a minimum height one must be to ensure wildlife is not stressed.

Gust
02-24-2013, 02:27 PM
I agree that helicopters are probably not the way to go... but there are regulations, especially during sensitive times for wildlife.. It is known which areas are sensitive and approximately which time of year a pilot needs to be weary. They obey these regulations (I hope), and there is a minimum height one must be to ensure wildlife is not stressed.

I know you like to be alone when fishing, and somehow to me someone heliporting in to an alpine lake is cheating. If a fisherman beside me also hiked in, so be it, kudo's. But someone stepping out of a vehicle is a bit different,, the point of the Big Parks - federal and provincial and even rural and municipal - is about peace and if possible, solitude.

Gust
02-24-2013, 02:29 PM
Maybe that is the key to a fishery,, mandatory minimum 500 meter hike in,, then have some lakes 1 km, and 5 km and so forth,, at least on the higher pressure territories.

Who knows???

Caiman
02-24-2013, 03:04 PM
I sure hope that a few members from the south country read this thread

Gust
02-24-2013, 03:12 PM
I sure hope that a few members from the south country read this thread

Which country?

The U.S or the souther Alberta countryside?

Guitarplayingfish
02-24-2013, 03:13 PM
I know you like to be alone when fishing, and somehow to me someone heliporting in to an alpine lake is cheating. If a fisherman beside me also hiked in, so be it, kudo's. But someone stepping out of a vehicle is a bit different,, the point of the Big Parks - federal and provincial and even rural and municipal - is about peace and if possible, solitude.

Indeed I do. I think a lot of us fish for the peace and solitude. I agree that hike-in lakes should stay as hike-in lakes.

On the other hand, there are some things to consider. For example, what about elderly gentlemen who can't make the 10 km hike but long to experience the alpines? I know it is easy to say "to heck with them", but if it was your father I bet your view would change.

It is what it is I suppose. At least those of us who are willing to hike in get the full experience and satisfaction.

Your best bet to avoid heli-fisherman is to hike into a lake/river that has no possible area for a helicopter to land. Google earth can help with the scouting :)

Gust
02-24-2013, 03:36 PM
Indeed I do. I think a lot of us fish for the peace and solitude. I agree that hike-in lakes should stay as hike-in lakes.

On the other hand, there are some things to consider. For example, what about elderly gentlemen who can't make the 10 km hike but long to experience the alpines? I know it is easy to say "to heck with them", but if it was your father I bet your view would change.

It is what it is I suppose. At least those of us who are willing to hike in get the full experience and satisfaction.

Your best bet to avoid heli-fisherman is to hike into a lake/river that has no possible area for a helicopter to land. Google earth can help with the scouting :)

I as well as my father know our limitations (my back, his age) it's just part of the course of what we can expect. A few months back, he just sat in the vehicle and watched us fish on the ice, as he couldn't step over or on the rocks during early ice,, he was fine with this.

Years ago the hike into Galatea was intermediate until someone decided a bridge be used at every single water crossing and every trail marked and stepped and so forth. Talking to a friend who was in the early stages of MS, he felt that coddling to him or anyother disabled body was not a good thing as it coddled a bit too much, in other words, it became politically direct , the challenge aspect was removed. Easier for everyone, access to all. Some places should just be left alone, but, I'm sure some will argue this as an exclusive or elite statement.

I wasn't trying to be smug about us knowing our limitations,, we both realised a few years back that places that took some effort were no longer on either of our lists,, a sad reality but so it goes.

EZM
02-24-2013, 04:30 PM
This is a bit much. The Issue isn't naming lakes, Its keeping fish. Look at PCR, Has that fisherie been decimated? No, Because you can't keep the walleye.

You are 100% right ............. if you can convince readers not to keep the fish ............lol.............silly maple leafs fan.

PCR has a zero limit on walleye right? other lakes have zero limits and still have decent fishing too.....unfortunately that's the exception to this rule and not the point of this thread is it?

Lakes that get named and decimated have keep limits - that's the concern in my mind.

McLeod
02-24-2013, 04:41 PM
I as well as my father know our limitations (my back, his age) it's just part of the course of what we can expect. A few months back, he just sat in the vehicle and watched us fish on the ice, as he couldn't step over or on the rocks during early ice,, he was fine with this.

Years ago the hike into Galatea was intermediate until someone decided a bridge be used at every single water crossing and every trail marked and stepped and so forth. Talking to a friend who was in the early stages of MS, he felt that coddling to him or anyother disabled body was not a good thing as it coddled a bit too much, in other words, it became politically direct , the challenge aspect was removed. Easier for everyone, access to all. Some places should just be left alone, but, I'm sure some will argue this as an exclusive or elite statement.

I wasn't trying to be smug about us knowing our limitations,, we both realised a few years back that places that took some effort were no longer on either of our lists,, a sad reality but so it goes.

That lake will always provide solitude if you go during the week.
I agree with you about the trophy lakes. Read , research and get out there..
They are there ..there are many...

Lefty-Canuck
02-24-2013, 04:51 PM
So who wants to go fish Waiu Lake this weekend?

LC:)

Speckle55
02-24-2013, 05:42 PM
Fish Fan

Let me answer you this way it can do both hurt and help

Help keep the numbers down on the year class you are targeting as for me its the higher years i want Trout 5yrs plus they Rainbows/Brook Trout live to 8plus .. in put and take lakes

hurt if you get to many people you can wipe out your spawners even in C&R lakes and Rivers

i post where i went sometimes and other times i don't .. no rhyme or reason .. the pic's also tell where i am to the locals ..

you have year classes coming up so in put and take lakes its not a problem or C&R as even if they die more are coming up

My World Records were caught in Maligne Lake 12#13oz Brook Trout 8# line class ..Fickle Lake 32#5oz Icefishing WR 21 yrs.. Athabasca River Rocky Mountain Whitefish 3#5 lasted for 1 year and abit.. and a smaller Brook Trout lasted for 2 years Maligne Lake

wow i should of not said the Lake name ... roflmao.. not :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Food for Thought

David:)

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
02-24-2013, 05:48 PM
I won't say it's the only reason , but it sure contributes to the cause . Examples like coal lake , nakimun , cross lake the list goes on . When people catch wind of the hot place to go a 1000 anglers keeping there limits several times out of that season take a toll . So yes it does effect a fishery . But thes other contributing factors like over harvest , poaching , netting etc .

The Internet has become a great tool for people to learn a body of water , fishing tips etc . I think our province has so much pressure and very few lakes compared to other provinces and the keep limits are way out of date . But that's just me .

dragon
02-24-2013, 08:51 PM
I won't say it's the only reason , but it sure contributes to the cause . Examples like coal lake , nakimun , cross lake the list goes on . When people catch wind of the hot place to go a 1000 anglers keeping there limits several times out of that season take a toll . So yes it does effect a fishery . But thes other contributing factors like over harvest , poaching , netting etc .

The Internet has become a great tool for people to learn a body of water , fishing tips etc . I think our province has so much pressure and very few lakes compared to other provinces and the keep limits are way out of date . But that's just me .

The Internet is only the new tool. I'm sure lakes were being overfished or killed prior to the Internet. It just seems more evident as the conversations are logged and easily accessible.

For example when ice fishing as a kid on pigeon everyone use to talk to each other. Now fishing on pigeon I'm seldom approached by anyone. Just mho and who knows, perhaps I'm unapproachable lol

pelada trochu
02-24-2013, 10:26 PM
Sadly I think there are alot of uneducated people out there who just dont know any better. They are probably people like the guy who helped himself to my shack this weekend. Smoked up inside (im a non smoker) then threw his busted line on the floor and tossed his spool in the lake through my hole.

To me Catching any fish but especially trophy fish is magical.

Advertising the fishing just makes no sense.

Id rather have tags only closed fishing than see fifty boats over my favorite hole. We really need a protected trophy class

wetchimo
02-25-2013, 06:26 AM
Give me an example.

X2

wetchimo
02-25-2013, 06:40 AM
A few of my favorite lakes are barely fished but are now going to be under great pressure this summer by several large oil and gas camps that are going to be setup in that area. Oil and gas paid my wages for years but it scary to think of the impact of 1500 people now potentially fishing thoughs lakes. Should I tell forum members about the lakes so there is more interest in the health and well being of the lakes or would the lakes be pillaged by forum fishermen. I would hope that everyone on the forum would show more respect for the lake but once word gets out there's no going back.

Wild&Free
02-25-2013, 04:34 PM
A few of my favorite lakes are barely fished but are now going to be under great pressure this summer by several large oil and gas camps that are going to be setup in that area. Oil and gas paid my wages for years but it scary to think of the impact of 1500 people now potentially fishing thoughs lakes. Should I tell forum members about the lakes so there is more interest in the health and well being of the lakes or would the lakes be pillaged by forum fishermen. I would hope that everyone on the forum would show more respect for the lake but once word gets out there's no going back.

truth.

This topic has been beaten to death already. Alberta has very little water and a lot of fisherman. Internet, naming lakes or not there will always be pressure on lakes with good access, and word of mouth killed many lakes before the internet.

TROLLER
02-25-2013, 06:29 PM
Want proof all you have to do is look at a few of the topics on perch lakes.

Before you know it they are crawling with trucks you have another Cross or Burnstick on your hands. Lots of perch just 3 or 4 inchers is all.

DuckBrat
02-25-2013, 07:05 PM
My World Records were caught in Maligne Lake 12#13oz Brook Trout 8# line class ..Fickle Lake 32#5oz Icefishing WR 21 yrs.. Athabasca River Rocky Mountain Whitefish 3#5 lasted for 1 year and abit.. and a smaller Brook Trout lasted for 2 years Maligne Lake

:confused: What does this have to do with the thread topic??:confused:

Moving on, Without strict regulation and a presence of a dense angling population, naming lakes on the internet does reduce the quality of the fishery.

Speckle55
02-25-2013, 09:40 PM
:confused: What does this have to do with the thread topic??:confused:

Moving on, Without strict regulation and a presence of a dense angling population, naming lakes on the internet does reduce the quality of the fishery.

Duck Brat .. i listed the names of the Lakes/River i caught my WR in and you know when the Edmonton Journal did a story on where i caught one WR it didn,t hurt too much but Harold Miller was listening when i told him and he caught 2more AFGA yearly records and 21 years after mine Gerald beat my WR with a 33#2 oz from Fickle .. most days there is one or 2 anglers on the lake..

Thread topic was does naming a lake hurt a fishery .. it didn't hurt Fickle Lake imho over the last 28 years

Food for Thought

Zip-in-Z
02-25-2013, 09:48 PM
Does naming lakes hurt a fishery ?..... Nope, just gets boring sitting there all day, when your Lake "X" gets even!

Z.....

fish gunner
02-25-2013, 10:57 PM
Is it not a matter of scale , shuswsp lake had big rainbows oh no what have I done? Nothing , ten thousand people can show up on the big lake and if they don't have the skills they are out of luck. Putting up on the form a perch hot spot on a lake a mile long, you may show up next week to a lake full of vehicles .
Yet I don't hear any one bashing the TV shows giving every detail to a successful outing (that's what are paid to do in some part) lake, lure and location. Right down to GPS markers.
Its part of our sport ,imo share that which you feel you wish you share, common lakes. Pointing out a area with 25- 40 ice huts is hardly secret. If you feel a spot is best fished solitude , don't post pics to show off or if you must use crayons. Oh Ya the Frazer has big salmon.

TROLLER
02-26-2013, 10:30 AM
You are right Gunner howerver more post than not, not only name a lake but quite often a spot in the lake how deep what bait if any, what hook or jig what speed of trolling what line what leader and it goes on till everyone now knows all they need without having spent any time learning not only that particular body of water but how to fish.

And that is what is ruining the fishery IMHO:sHa_shakeshout:

Gust
02-26-2013, 01:25 PM
I've never requested it, nor do I want to, but here we have a civil debate on how not to do damage by saying too much, and 3 threads up is JTS's thread on Google Map to fishing spots. 78,000 people have viewed the thread and I'm sure somewhere in there is JT's email for requesting the map.

Maybe I'm a sentimentalist caught up in the romance of trial and error and discovery of a new spot or hole on a stream, ya know? the whole learning curve.