PDA

View Full Version : Removing Bench Seat From Boat?

trapshooter
02-24-2013, 02:47 PM
Well I have a 14' aluminum that has 3 bench seats! The one in the rear is good cause the person driving can sit on it. The one in the very front is good cause I can support my casting deck with it.. But the one in the middle is always in the way. I dont really want to remove the whole bench but just a section from the middle so that I have an isle going down the middle of the boat. Can I do so?
I have attached a picture of my boat and have drawn the section I want to remove. I have also attached a picture of another boat that I kinda want mine to look like with the middle part of the bench gone.

My Boat
http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z419/Photography_Hunting_Trapshooting/BoatSpring2012copy_zpseaefea4f.jpg

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z419/Photography_Hunting_Trapshooting/AttachmentImageashx_zpsbe4d9569.jpg

TROLLER
02-24-2013, 04:04 PM
/Whatever floats your boat as they say:)

The one in the pic the two middle for sure also are cuppboards for storage.

If I were you I would remove the middle seat totally and build 2 just like the pic you like, then you too will have more storage which as you know you never have enough of. And a place for someone to sit if you do happen to have extra passengers from time to time.

shoulg not be too expensive and will serve you well.

Kim473
02-24-2013, 04:08 PM
I would not remove the center section but the rear one I would modify similar to your example. I think removing the center section of yours would weaken it too much. Plus you would have to add rivets to the bottom of the boat to give it more strenght and support,then probly have leaks. The one in the pic looks like it has a second floor which gives it more strenght.

pikergolf
02-24-2013, 04:15 PM
I would not remove the center section but the rear one I would modify similar to your example. I think removing the center section of yours would weaken it too much. Plus you would have to add rivets to the bottom of the boat to give it more strength and support,then probly have leaks.

X2 The seat is designed is a structural element, you would cause a lot of flex in the sides of the boat. The princecraft in the pic has a floor and the seats are tight to the sides, under the floor you would see the seats riveted to the bottom of the boat.

trapshooter
02-24-2013, 06:10 PM
What if I did it to the back seat?

AdamJ
02-24-2013, 06:28 PM
Sir,
Check out http://www.tinboats.net/forum/

There are literally thousands of threads on modified tin boats.

I will agree with the two previous posters. Regardless of which seat you take out, you will have to do two things to compensate for this. One is to reinforce the sides somehow and two is to compensate for the loss of flotation which you've removed (there is foam inside the bench seat).

It is not impossible, but may require a little more thought and work than you planned for. The tinboats forum will answer you questions, guaranteed.

lifesaflyin
02-24-2013, 06:39 PM
tried to remove it on mine. made the boat flex like a noodle. so the bench is back in with4" of marine foam and vinyl on it. now i can have a nap on it and me ars dont hurt.:)

FishingFrenzy
02-24-2013, 07:48 PM
I would take it out totally, but your will need some support to reduce flex. I'd say basically reinstall something similar to the bench, except at the floor level and not as thick as the boat seat. Think aluminum cross bracing. Throw some plywood covered in spar urethane on the crossbracing and your good to go. That middle seat can be a pain, I might do the same thing to my boat. We'll see. Do you have a trailer for it? Wood decking is a pain in the butt to take in and out, but adds alot of wait for car-topping...

trapshooter
02-24-2013, 07:57 PM
I would take it out totally, but your will need some support to reduce flex. I'd say basically reinstall something similar to the bench, except at the floor level and not as thick as the boat seat. Think aluminum cross bracing. Throw some plywood covered in spar urethane on the crossbracing and your good to go. That middle seat can be a pain, I might do the same thing to my boat. We'll see. Do you have a trailer for it? Wood decking is a pain in the butt to take in and out, but adds alot of wait for car-topping...

Yes, I have a trailer for it. This pic was taken when I first got the boat last spring. Since then I got a fish finder, trailer, rod holders etc.

Hunter Trav
02-24-2013, 08:27 PM
I'm pretty sure you can probably do what you originally wanted to do, but go over to that tin boats site to see how to do it right. I've gone over that site a fair bit, and I'm sure there is a boat that has been done like what you want to do. The biggest thing is just getting it braced so you don't get any flex. Your seats really don't have much for rivets holding them in, and they can be filled and sealed without too much difficulty. Search the site, and you'll see what needs to be done...:)

Deano85
02-24-2013, 09:55 PM
I'd check out tinboats.net for ideas. http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3156&sid=abd32b139ce105908261eed9163e8252

j.d.miller
03-04-2013, 08:41 AM
I have a 12 foot that I removed the seats from last summer and sprayed bedliner in the inside surface. The center seat is a very important support/brace in mine and the entire boat flexed even when the seat was out sitting on the ground. I reinstalled the seats with a little silicone around the rivets and supports for the center of the seats and no leaks. Its not hard to do but I would be worried about support...