PDA

View Full Version : electric on outboard leg

slingshot
02-25-2013, 12:14 PM
Anyone use a electric motor atached to the outboard leg.Im looking for something to push a 18 foot lund around.
Any pros or cons would be apreciated

huntsfurfish
02-25-2013, 06:29 PM
Pulling is better than pushing.:)

Walleyedude
02-25-2013, 07:30 PM
You'll be OK for trolling as long as the water is calm, you plan on going forward only, and you don't need precise boat control.

Any kind of chop and it'll be coming out of the water and cavitating. Reversing is basically impossible. Precise boat control or following any kind of a break line, especially with a wind is very difficult due to the lack of steering angle and the effort of constantly cranking the steering wheel back and forth.

Long story short - get a bow mount or proper transom mount, they are FAR better options.

Ken07AOVette
02-25-2013, 08:36 PM
I like cav plate mounted trollers

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/KbxSrx/IMAG0229.jpg

Pappa
02-28-2013, 08:05 PM
I had dual 80lb motors on my 19 ft inboard cav plate, just like the pic above. They worked great. Slowest speed was 1.6mph on gps and highest setting was 5.9mph. 24V system. Reverse wasn't as good as forward. Steering was good, used the steering wheel. The boat was an open bow with a 351 Ford in it. When up on plane, the motors were completely out of the water. Selling the boat so I sold the motors separately. They were Minn Kota Riptides.