PDA

View Full Version : Should I bolt the motor?

ak-71
02-25-2013, 12:37 PM
I have a new Seamax 380HD and Mercury 20HP 4 stroke for it. I am planning to take the motor off / deflate to transport.
Manual for the motor tells me that I shouldn't be using it just clamped, but I also need lower bolts (through transom to secure it.
The only way I can see to use these bolts is to drill the transom with to a larger holes and glue some metal tubes in (to keep transom seal intact as I mount/unmount the motor). Also wonder if it's too much of a PITA to match holes every time. I'd still rather be safe, but I'm surprised that manual tells me to bolt it.

Do you guys bolt smaller (portable?!) motors or do you just clamp them (with a chain/cable to the transom)?

TROLLER
02-25-2013, 06:36 PM
I have a new Seamax 380HD and Mercury 20HP 4 stroke for it. I am planning to take the motor off / deflate to transport.
Manual for the motor tells me that I shouldn't be using it just clamped, but I also need lower bolts (through transom to secure it.
The only way I can see to use these bolts is to drill the transom with to a larger holes and glue some metal tubes in (to keep transom seal intact as I mount/unmount the motor). Also wonder if it's too much of a PITA to match holes every time. I'd still rather be safe, but I'm surprised that manual tells me to bolt it.

Do you guys bolt smaller (portable?!) motors or do you just clamp them (with a chain/cable to the transom)?

I used to clamp mine but never a 20HP might be a bit heavy for clamps only. I can see where bolts could be a hassel but safey first. Do not want to loose the motor in deep water.

Once you have the hole set they should line up every time I would think but you know what happens when you are on the lake vs. your garage.

Good luck with this one

Prewar
02-25-2013, 06:44 PM
With my old 12.5 ft and my new 14ft Zodiacs i have just clamped the 20hp Honda and utilized a short chain as well. No problems for me...

ak-71
02-26-2013, 12:04 PM
Guess I'll start breaking it in with clamps, and once I think it's positioned right I will have to decide it has to be done. My dad's boat had clamps and chain for double motors 20-25 HP and never had issues in ~15 years, but then it was a different boat and motors too.
Thanks for replies

farmkid89
02-26-2013, 12:14 PM
I lost a 25hp right from the dock due to not bolting it and relying on the clamps.. Felt really stupid diving for it with everyone laughing. Good thing it was only 6 feet of water. On my little 7.5 I clamp it and run a good safety chain that's bolted in 2 spots

ak-71
02-26-2013, 12:31 PM
I may bolt it after I know hight is OK. Making holes sealed for constant mounting/dismounting the motor doesn't seem straight forward to me. Will need to be bigger size hole and have some kind of a sealed-in liner I'd think. Actually one bolt could be enough too :thinking-006:
Hope to have a portable setup :)

jim summit
02-26-2013, 01:38 PM
Lost a motor one time with just the clamps, never found it.
Now I always have a chain or bolt it.

One way to go with the bolts is stick the bolt through from the inside,
and seal it tight. Let it harden, then the bolt always stays on the boat, and you just remove the nuts.

pikergolf
02-26-2013, 02:17 PM
I ran a 20 for years with out bolting, put a piece of heavy inner tube under the screws and changed that every year and then put one of these on after tightning the screws, so the screws wouldn't back off. http://www.bikebone.com/page/BBSC/PROD/TBL610

At your own risk I guess.

ak-71
02-26-2013, 03:10 PM
One way to go with the bolts is stick the bolt through from the inside,
and seal it tight. Let it harden, then the bolt always stays on the boat, and you just remove the nuts.

Inflatable boat, bolts would be a problem when folded. Will have to see once it's on water for the 1st time (with a cable/chain/rope).
Thanks,
AK

mooseknuckle
02-26-2013, 08:56 PM
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd410/idindy/7BFE416B-92E9-4B86-A961-1C665B0C5BE7-110-0000000E841E7A6D.jpg

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd410/idindy/11312581-54DA-43C3-B05E-048AA705263C-110-0000000E7B274056.jpg

Saw this up at lower Mann lake last summer, thought it was worth posting on this thread.

EZM
02-27-2013, 10:04 AM
That motor might need a new coat of paint.......

I suggest the OP chains it up with a short stout chain and once the motor "seats" you will be able to tell where to drill the holes on the bottom - if you choose to drill them out.

Myself - a short piece of chain onto a ring would be fine.