PDA

View Full Version : motor size for my boat project

Flipr3mx
02-25-2013, 08:19 PM
Hey guys, i bought this aluminum boat in kijiji as a project last year and it's finally finished. So, now im shopping for a new motor. What would you recommend for size of a motor that i can buy for this boat. I'm not looking for a max HP motor that my boat can take (which is 60HP) as my budget is limited. I guess, just enough to push around 4 people to go fishing in big lakes like Wabamun or Ste. Anne. I'm not sure how much it weighs now but you can have a rough idea from the pictures.

Thanks.

Willowtrail
02-25-2013, 09:03 PM
Put on what you can afford. A 30 would do the trick but bigger the better. IMO

bentley
02-25-2013, 09:22 PM
I would suggest to stick to a common model & make with a good history , easy to repair , find parts . I would vote for a Mercury 50 HP 2 stroke , 4 cylinder . I had one for years with no trouble , bought it because I asked the same question way back then . The other brands of 50 hp were twin cylinder models , they could foul plugs faster when trolling I was told .

HunterDave
02-25-2013, 09:23 PM
Great job on the boat flipr! I saw a bigger motor with controls on Edmonton kijiji this weekend. The fella had sold the boat without the motor and he wanted it gone. Worth a look.

bang_on_sk
02-26-2013, 07:58 AM
I like the Yamaha 4-strokes, we have a couple at work and they're fantastic.

I had to do some work on one in the bush one time (just got dropped off by heli) and I could just about completely dismantle it with a chainsaw tool and leatherman. All of the screws and bolts were the same size head which made it really simple. And it ran like a dream with none of that 2-stroke smell.

dodgeboy1979
02-26-2013, 08:43 AM
can't go wrong with a 40hp Johnson

Hunter Trav
02-26-2013, 09:32 AM
If your going new, Evinrude Etec for a 2 stroke, 30-40HP if you can't max out your boat. For a 4 stroke, Honda, Yammy, or Suzuki would be my choice.

EZM
02-26-2013, 11:22 AM
I would suggest to stick to a common model & make with a good history , easy to repair , find parts . I would vote for a Mercury 50 HP 2 stroke , 4 cylinder . I had one for years with no trouble , bought it because I asked the same question way back then . The other brands of 50 hp were twin cylinder models , they could foul plugs faster when trolling I was told .

Mercury does not make a 4 cylinder 2 stroke in 50hp (or less) anymore. All the smaller ones are 3 cylinders or less and soon will be discontinued.

A good and cheap option will be a 40hp Tohatsu.

They seem to be pretty good motors.

Stally77
02-27-2013, 09:48 PM
Nice work on the custom floorplan! Looks good. As for a motor I would go with mercury for sure at least 25HP min. Regards.

Winch101
02-27-2013, 10:26 PM
Is 60 all you can afford or theGW tag on the boat says that's all

You can puton.....if no tag you have to go to DOT to get a rating .

You wouldn't want to get checked and have the boat impounded

NEWB
02-28-2013, 11:18 AM
It all depends on the weight of the boat and what it is rated for. If you're rated for 60.

A 20 or 30 hp may feel slow or sluggish. It may also be adequate for your needs.

At any rate I recommend Tohatsu.

Those who say they are crap motors and prefer the Mercury, Mariner, Nissan, or Evinrude are misinformed. Tohatsu makes the outboards for all those manufactures for 30 hp and less. These outboards are rebadged as Nissan, Mercury, Mariner, Evinrude and marked up significantly.

Or you could just drop way less money on the Tohatsu name and you are getting the exact same thing with Tohatsu decals.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tohatsu

OP,

It's best to do your own research.

fisherman420
02-28-2013, 11:34 AM
Great work on the restoration! I would reccomend at least a 40hp. It all boils down to what you are willing to pay and what kind of deal you can find on a motor. A 50-60HP 4-stroke would be perfect IMO but it sounds like that is out of the question so I would say find a good used 2-stroke 50hp that is a strong runner, put on a fresh coat of paint and some new decals and you will have a great looking, smooth running ride!

travrgtr
02-28-2013, 05:45 PM
we had an old fibreglass jobby about that size with a 50 johnston on it. Weight it! check the rating plate too as mentioned above. I think knowing the weight would be a starting point. you've added some goodies so you may want to push to the upper end of the horsepower rating if you're going to take it out onto real lakes. Suzuki.

Flipr3mx
02-28-2013, 08:13 PM
Thanks for all the compliments and suggestions.. 60hp is whats on the tag.. Im just gonna have to check out that boat show in northlands to get an ideas on prices. Im looking to spend around 2k, or up to 2.5k max.

Hunter Trav
02-28-2013, 08:21 PM
Thanks for all the compliments and suggestions.. 60hp is whats on the tag.. Im just gonna have to check out that boat show in northlands to get an ideas on prices. Im looking to spend around 2k, or up to 2.5k max.

I see a Tohatsu in your future...or a good used motor...

Winch101
03-01-2013, 07:39 AM
Talk to Thayne at Free Spirit about good used . They do a fair amount of up

Grades. Might get lucky

NEWB
03-01-2013, 09:28 AM

Might I also suggest kijiji.

Check the serial numbers on the motor before you purchase.

You could also look for something with a damaged prop (easy to replace) or may need some minor mechanical work.

There are many places online where you can order outboard motor parts for a very good price. Use Google to look up how to do the repair or for the symptoms if you are not mechanically inclined. :)

With that being said... The older the motor, the less efficient it will be and it may be harder to find some parts...

It does sound like you're on the right track though.

NEWB
03-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Might I also suggest kijiji.

Check the serial numbers on the motor before you purchase.

You could also look for something with a damaged prop (easy to replace) or may need some minor mechanical work.

There are many places online where you can order outboard motor parts for a very good price. Use Google to look up how to do the repair or for the symptoms if you are not mechanically inclined. :)

With that being said... The older the motor, the less efficient it will be and it may be harder to find some parts...

It does sound like you're on the right track though.

Furthermore...

Look into changing the prop pitch for speed or torque. This may help you out. Hence my comment about purchasing a motor with a damaged prop.

:sign0111: