PDA

View Full Version : Henderson Lake/Nicholas Sheran Lake CARP Questions

Albertafisher
02-26-2013, 01:48 PM
Hey everyone, I've been wondering if anyone has targetted the grass carp or accidentally caught one out of these lakes. I am aware that these fish are stocked to help control the weeds and that it's "frowned upon" to target them since they aren't considered a gamefish.
Thanks in advance! :)

Guitarplayingfish
02-26-2013, 03:38 PM
Hey everyone, I've been wondering if anyone has targetted the grass carp or accidentally caught one out of these lakes. I am aware that these fish are stocked to help control the weeds and that it's "frowned upon" to target them since they aren't considered a gamefish.
Thanks in advance! :)

No one has targetted them because you are not supposed to. Its not a matter of them being a game-fish or not. They are put there for weed/algae control...

If you know this, you should know better than to target them. Period.

Dust1n
02-26-2013, 04:50 PM
No because they help the lake control the weeds in the pond. I have actually had one on at Nic but they shook it off pretty quick on my leech. Dont target them period. Once you see from shore what they do for the fishery you wouldnt want to either. I have videos of them schooling and feeding off veggitation if you want me to send them to you.

Guitarplayingfish
02-26-2013, 05:18 PM
I have seen some monsters swimming around the lakes... but think of this:

Lets say we had a 20lb Grass Carp

A Grass carp can eat its own weight of vegetation PER DAY.

That's a lot of vegetation these guys are removing from our recreational in-town fisheries. We don't need any kills in either of those lakes due to algae blooms and low dissolved oxygen.

Best to leave them alone, they have a job to do.

npauls
02-26-2013, 05:33 PM
quite a few years ago I hooked into one on an old crappy 8wt fly rod and the rod blew up pretty quick into the fight.

My gf now wife was there with me and couldn't believe the power they have.

Even if you did target them the chances of hooking one are slim to none. As soon as anything hits the water they tend to scatter pretty quick.

Like mentioned before they are doing a ton of good for the city ponds and still can't seem to keep up so any death from angling could cause some problems.

Southern-Fisher
02-26-2013, 05:41 PM
A couple of summers ago I was fishing for pike and managed to hook a carp on the back with a spinner I was using. They have a lot of power, I could hardly get it in. Due to reasons already mentioned (and the fact that I have no interest in keeping a carp), I got it back in the water as soon as I could. I could't help but notice that it had a big gash on its side. I wasn't targeting carp, but it seemed like the pike were!

Bhflyfisher
02-27-2013, 09:44 PM
I know someone who targets them down south, in the states. They look like they haul Azz, and are extremely finicky. Its pure sight fishing.

Im on the fence though about targetting them in those lakes. I'd like to target them at some point, but if they're really doing that much good for a lake, then i wouldnt aggravate them. Then again.... why bother using grass carp to protect and aid the non native stockees anyways...

EZM
02-27-2013, 11:04 PM
Maybe you could tie up a imitation lettuce fly and try them out on a 5/6 wt.

npauls
02-28-2013, 12:21 AM
Maybe you could tie up a imitation lettuce fly and try them out on a 5/6 wt.

They would tear a 5/6wt up in a heartbeat.

They are like submarines and there is no stopping them.

Bhflyfisher
02-28-2013, 12:46 AM
They would tear a 5/6wt up in a heartbeat.

They are like submarines and there is no stopping them.

Green deer hair, spun on a small reliable saltwater hook is what i've seen. I'd assume you'd want an 7wt bare minimum. Those fish are nothing but muscle.

These are not my photos, but this guy takes unreal pictures, and chases some of the coolest fish on the planet.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii44/jp465_2008/468523_406107512750857_730892089_o_zpsd9db2ce9.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii44/jp465_2008/474593_406107406084201_421279953_o_zps33e6729a.jpg

If you want to check this guy out, his page is here

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Carolina-Fly/133546283340316

Badflies
02-28-2013, 06:30 PM
So,every time I post a legit gamefish on this board I get flamed by keyboard warriors. This being a legal bycatch (look it up,new regs are out there) I am hoping we can stay on topic (Carp in Lethbridge). It was an accident that I got this guy, he went back in and it's incredibly unlikely to ever happen again. That being said, flame on!
http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q567/badflies/bfb60969.jpg
Cool pics BH, if I ever want to get a new flyrod I now know how to explode the old one...:fighting0030: