PDA

View Full Version : Ion owners help

Mike_W
02-26-2013, 04:07 PM
First off I hate doing this but I was hoping someone in the Edmonton area that isnt using there extension this coming weekend (March 1st, 2nd & 3rd) could let me borrow it.

I have a fishing trip to Slave Lake booked and I really want to try my new ion redrilling ice holes and the no gas / deafening sound in the shack. I have my Ion and drill with extension but dont think that will be quite enough length for Slave Lake ice and the 16" the ice shack floor sits off the ice.

Apparantly Ion / Ardisam Inc won't sell additional extentions as running two extentions somehow voids the warranty .....can't understand why myself as its not like I am drilling through more ice I just need more length to get to the ice.
Also my research has me understanding that the ion auger uses the same diameter drive shaft as a hand auger I have tried everywhere cannot find a hand auger extension in stock either......just got in from a machine shop and they want $100 bucks to make a copy of the extension that came with the Ion.....which is steep to start but I could be wasting $100 if the auger doesnt like reopening holes anyway.

Just looking for a short term rental and I would be willing to leave a deposit and I am sure there are many on the forum that could vouch for me.

Also a couple fresh walleye fillets if im successful!!

Thanks to anyone that can help.
Cheers,
Mike

Wild&Free
02-26-2013, 05:06 PM
Just grab a long breaker bar for reopening holes if it's that far from your shack floor. Use the auger as far as you can, then just chip it. I'd rather do the little bit of extra work then void the warranty on something costing several hundred dollars.

As for hand auger extensions, they can be hard to find even when in stock. The package for the extension for my hand auger had no labels on it and was kinda tucked into a section that wasn't really related to augers at WSS in GP.

Fishalot
02-26-2013, 05:43 PM
What is the shaft size off of your ion.

Mike_W
02-26-2013, 09:16 PM
What is the shaft size off of your ion.

0.7"

Thanks for everyone's help but a member has graciously lent me his for this weekend.

I might have to re-read the manual but it doesn't say anything about using another extension will void the warranty. Just what there customer service tried telling me..... Kind of funny that they have a video saying it will work on a 10" auger they just need to make the bit but somehow adding a extension voids warranty??!!

Anyway what they don't know don't hurt them!

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
02-26-2013, 11:17 PM
Or why not get them to build you a twice as long extent on with same ends as you got then you at least have two . Especially if its only a 100 bucks . In the end would be worth it in my opinion .

Mike_W
02-27-2013, 07:35 AM
Or why not get them to build you a twice as long extent on with same ends as you got then you at least have two . Especially if its only a 100 bucks . In the end would be worth it in my opinion .

That's a option but I don't know how the ion even redrills holes yet ....they claim it does. $100 is a expensive way to find out.
And if I can find another extension to work that would only cost me 30 that would be great!

Wild&Free
02-27-2013, 08:14 AM
That's a option but I don't know how the ion even redrills holes yet ....they claim it does. $100 is a expensive way to find out.
And if I can find another extension to work that would only cost me 30 that would be great!

Could always find a hole outside your shack to re-drill to see how it works.

white-tail-addict
02-27-2013, 09:34 AM
You wont have any trouble redrilling holes I have the ion and it redrills like butter! That's without any extension but I don't see why it would make a difference! Good luck.

Big Schnizz
02-27-2013, 09:45 AM
Not sure what kind of shack it is, but are you able to mark your holes, push the shack off, drill and then push the shack back over? You would only have to do that the first time as there likely wouldn't be too much ice buildup over night.

02-27-2013, 09:57 AM

And I respect that , but wouldnt you be Po'd if using two extentions and one falls off with your auger down the hole . Where as if you have a one piece far less likely to happen if you catch what I be sayin .

Hunter Trav
02-27-2013, 12:26 PM
And I respect that , but wouldnt you be Po'd if using two extentions and one falls off with your auger down the hole . Where as if you have a one piece far less likely to happen if you catch what I be sayin .

I guess thats why you make sure your bolts are tight before drilling eh...:sHa_sarcasticlol: :D

02-27-2013, 01:22 PM
I guess thats why you make sure your bolts are tight before drilling eh...:sHa_sarcasticlol: :D

Well obviously but even with them tight theres vibration and even with one extention after it being tight it gets loose , watched guys do this and end up fishing the auger out of the bottom of the water .

Hunter Trav
02-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Well obviously but even with them tight theres vibration and even with one extention after it being tight it gets loose , watched guys do this and end up fishing the auger out of the bottom of the water .

Use ny-lock nuts, then you don't have that problem...:)

Kim473
02-28-2013, 03:55 AM
Post a pic of yours and lets see how hard it is to build. $ 5.00 material and a couple hrs of labour. A couple of welds and a little bit of drilling and maybe taping. EEZE-PEEZE

The warrenty thing probly has some thing to do with the auger its self and not the drive part. The longer it is and possibly twisting or bending the shafts.

TFH sells the auger. Do they have an extention?

Mike_W
02-28-2013, 09:16 AM
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r23/Yukon_Jack/photo_zpsb7d7e9e3.jpg

Ion just doesnt sell there extensions at all.
I was thinking a hand auger extention might work.

ID at the female end is 18.5 mm OD at the male end in 18.0 mm

If anyone knows of a extension that would fit this please let me know!

davegrant
02-28-2013, 04:02 PM
Looks identical to Strikemaster . they make a 20 inch extension seen em at Wholesale Sports just take your extension along to see if fits.

Hunter Trav
02-28-2013, 05:03 PM
It doesn't look like two extensions would even go together properly, unless the shaft is a hollow tube...

Mike_W
02-28-2013, 05:44 PM
It doesn't look like two extensions would even go together properly, unless the shaft is a hollow tube...

Shaft is hollow!! But I should really double check everything goes together before tomorrow am

Hunter Trav
02-28-2013, 06:21 PM
Hope it works out for you...:cool: