PDA

View Full Version : Found: Source for big pike baits

BPman
02-26-2013, 04:32 PM
Lately I have become disgusted with paying $5 or $6 for a small pack of a half dozen "Large" smelts which aren't really big enough to interest big pike so went searching grocery stores. Nothing at Calgary Co-op or Safeway but BINGO - Super stores has a kilo of 8 -10" herrings (7 - 11 per pack) for $5 and 10" - 12 ' Chub Mackerel (6 or 7 per bag) for $6. Check the frozen fish cooler. They also have big bags of frozen smelts - medium size - cheap.
Had to share this discovery... good luck.

ArtVandelay
02-26-2013, 04:36 PM
I think capelin would make awesome pike bait...like giant smelts. I'll have to look for some fresh ones in June.

EZM
02-26-2013, 05:12 PM
That's where I get my big baits ............

catchandeat
02-26-2013, 06:03 PM
That's where I get my bait from too. The huge bag of smelts you can buy from there is ridiculously cheap! I'm only a quarter way through the bag and i've used it all ice season all ready!

B_Type13X2
02-26-2013, 08:32 PM
I bought a bag of Chub Mackeral as well having the same thought. But my home made Bait that would make a billy goat puke has been keeping pike on consistently.

Gust
02-26-2013, 08:39 PM
I bought a bag of Chub Mackeral as well having the same thought. But my home made Bait that would make a billy goat puke has been keeping pike on consistently.

Have you tested it against regular looking bait?

To the op,, I always recommend buying from superstore or elsewhere,, sometimes we carry some baits you cant find but if you are near a major city center, you can find big bait at half the cost or more.

Pikehunter13
02-26-2013, 08:53 PM
Lately I have become disgusted with paying $5 or $6 for a small pack of a half dozen "Large" smelts which aren't really big enough to interest big pike so went searching grocery stores. Nothing at Calgary Co-op or Safeway but BINGO - Super stores has a kilo of 8 -10" herrings (7 - 11 per pack) for $5 and 10" - 12 ' Chub Mackerel (6 or 7 per bag) for $6. Check the frozen fish cooler. They also have big bags of frozen smelts - medium size - cheap.
Had to share this discovery... good luck.

Well I would like you to go and try TnT market in the northeast.
They sell a lot of bait fish witch is perfect for pike.

I caught my biggest pike *22lbs with their anchovies 7 inches long. big bag for 12$ roughly 15-20 in side.

Awesome deals their.

#800 - 999 36th Street N.E.,
Calgary, AB T2A 7X6

http://www.tnt-supermarket.com/en/store_locator.php

calgarygringo
02-26-2013, 09:00 PM
Either of these are good for bigger pike baits. They are actually the same outfit.

B_Type13X2
02-26-2013, 09:25 PM
Have you tested it against regular looking bait?

To the op,, I always recommend buying from superstore or elsewhere,, sometimes we carry some baits you cant find but if you are near a major city center, you can find big bait at half the cost or more.

Had a friend using some undyed smelts on his tip up, mine was going off his wasn't, 15 separated us and it was set up on the same drop off mine was.

Safety D
02-27-2013, 08:25 AM
TnT is a good place. Dont buy off the fishing stores. Big packs of herring too at superstore for only 3 bucks.

Dr.D
02-27-2013, 09:03 AM
For big pike I use the best bait money can buy with good tails hard body and strait and fresh not freeze burnt

baptiste_moose
02-27-2013, 10:00 AM
TnT is a good place. Dont buy off the fishing stores. Big packs of herring too at superstore for only 3 bucks.

X2

Guitarplayingfish
02-27-2013, 11:46 AM
I think capelin would make awesome pike bait...like giant smelts. I'll have to look for some fresh ones in June.

capelin are mostly sent to japan..

its pretty sad, they target the pregnant females and discard the rest. A lot of wasted fish, and a lot of fish that don't make it to spawn. No wonder the east coast decimated their fishery.

cube
02-27-2013, 12:55 PM
That's where I get most of my large bait from as well.

Becareful what you buy though as it's not all legal, as BeeGuy pointed out on another thread just the other day http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?p=1860528#post1860528

Alberta Fishery Regulations
Ch3 Sec 19 Part G

Quote:
19. No person shall angle using:
(g) any fish as bait, other than dead bait fish, dead smelt, dead herring, dead shrimp, dead fish eggs or the skin, fins or eyes of game fish caught by angling.

SOR/99-349, s. 2.

Schedule 1; Part 2

Quote:
SPECIES OF BAIT FISH
Column 1 Column 2
Item Common Name Scientific Name
1. Iowa darter Etheostoma exile
2. Minnows, except carp and goldfish Minnows, except carp, goldfish and western silvery minnow
3. Sticklebacks Family Gasterosteidae
4. Suckers Family Catostomidae
5. Trout perch Percopsis omiscomaycus

Thanks BeeGuy