PDA

View Full Version : On catching perch

silverdoctor
02-26-2013, 05:17 PM
Last time out to Nakamun, didn't catch any perch, had to rig up for pike to get some fish through the holes. Perch kept stealing the bait. My rods are pretty stiff and not light action. Desperate to get a group of kids into some perch this weekend...

Picked up some bobbers today - both slip and spring - some velveeta cheese, corn etc. going to make some garlic cheeze balls with some of it to try. Need to get some worms too. Going to have 10 lines down, probably 8 kids.

What else should a feller be armed with? What other tips?

browning375
02-26-2013, 05:24 PM
patience?

That many kids has a recipe for a gong show! I predict many a tangled line in your future, good luck my friend!

Brings back memories of family day, 15 kids, 3 adults and a whole lot of " how the heck did you do that?" being said! LOL! Hope you get on the fish!

kronk
02-26-2013, 05:28 PM
We just did my youngest 2nd birthday party at the lake... only 3 kids dropped legs in the holes! no tangled lines, and enough fish to keep them happy! I think we had 12 kids there all under 5, and one 7 year old.

silverdoctor
02-26-2013, 05:53 PM
The kids are pretty good on the ice, last 3 times out for pike we only managed one birds nest of a reel and average one kid down a hole per trip. I was the last one down a hole - don't ask, i'm not telling.

Going to have a couple of newbie kids if i get my way, should be lots of laughs.

Some of the kids watched as a pike grabbed my finger a few weeks ago and gave it a shake. Seeing me bleeding kind of scared them off being around pike, have to nip that in the butt pretty quick.

linemanpete
02-26-2013, 06:20 PM
Once you are happy with the depth you are fishing at cut off that line with about 6 ft extra. String the line through on the those bendable straws. Cheap and they don't break. I've seen nephews catch perch this way no problem.

Dale S
02-26-2013, 06:25 PM
Use perch eyes for bait.

silverdoctor
02-26-2013, 06:27 PM
Use perch eyes for bait.

gotta catch em first Dago, there's my problem

jkind
02-26-2013, 06:35 PM
In Gull I catch most of my perch on minnows mostly...a piece of minnow on a small jighead, small 5 of Diamonds or a snelled hook or use maggots with the fore mentioned hooks.

kevinhits
02-26-2013, 06:48 PM
Rob

Try something like this...

Caught lots of perch on this with meal worms

HunterDave
02-26-2013, 06:49 PM
Pieces of worms on a 1/16 oz jig work good and one dew worm lasts awhile. If your rods are pretty stiff you definitely need some sort of bobber. That place is a riot when the perch are biting. GL! :)

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
02-26-2013, 07:05 PM
Last time out to Nakamun, didn't catch any perch, had to rig up for pike to get some fish through the holes. Perch kept stealing the bait. My rods are pretty stiff and not light action. Desperate to get a group of kids into some perch this weekend...

Picked up some bobbers today - both slip and spring - some velveeta cheese, corn etc. going to make some garlic cheeze balls with some of it to try. Need to get some worms too. Going to have 10 lines down, probably 8 kids.

Whatever you do please save that corn and cook it with your perch filletes . Your best option for perch bait . Small minnows ( fish eat fish ) shrimp , maggots .minnows and shrimp are your best bait . You should have. Gone for rod tip spring bobbers far more sensitive than any bobber you put on the surface .

silverdoctor
02-26-2013, 07:53 PM
Thanks for all the tips...

BBJ, got 2 different types of rod tip spring bobbers, used them this weekend, pretty neat idea.

silverdoctor
02-27-2013, 12:26 AM

BBJ, got 2 different types of rod tip spring bobbers, used them this weekend, pretty neat idea.

For chits and giggles, tried making some cheese bait. melted velveeta, bit of water, lots of garlic powder, corn meal and a bit of flour. When it's cold, it balls up nicely and is easy to put on a hook, moreso than straight velveeta. It's definitely garlicy, but tastes pretty good.

HunterDave
02-27-2013, 12:37 AM
Well, if you don't catch any fish at least you won't go hungry....lol!

Willowtrail
02-27-2013, 12:47 AM
I could throw you a few more sensitive rods Rob. Let me know if you need some

Red Bullets
02-27-2013, 01:30 AM

very small lead head jighead without the rubber body and loaded with maggots. Just make sure your hook is sitting horizontal.

Any tiny 5 of diamonds spoon with maggots too.

If you hand line instead of stiff rod you will hit more fish. I use a steady very small wiggle, almost a tremble. You will feel the fish pick up alot better.

chriscosta
02-27-2013, 02:05 AM
Imo. Id lose the fishing rod all together i just do my line up with whichever rig im using at the moment on the spool of line that comes with the fishing line and once in the water i slap it in my zipper pocket and zip it up most the way you feel the slightest sniff and if your pike fishing they can easily take line and would litteraly have to pull you down the hole to get away ive never used a rod ice fishing and hardly ever for perch period

Marky_Mark15
02-27-2013, 05:53 AM
Imo. Id lose the fishing rod all together i just do my line up with whichever rig im using at the moment on the spool of line that comes with the fishing line and once in the water i slap it in my zipper pocket and zip it up most the way you feel the slightest sniff and if your pike fishing they can easily take line and would litteraly have to pull you down the hole to get away ive never used a rod ice fishing and hardly ever for perch period

That is interesting. I am new to ice fishing and have stuck to open water for my whole life until this year. I will definitely be giving that a try. Thanks.

Geezle
02-27-2013, 08:00 AM
For chits and giggles, tried making some cheese bait. melted velveeta, bit of water, lots of garlic powder, corn meal and a bit of flour. When it's cold, it balls up nicely and is easy to put on a hook, moreso than straight velveeta. It's definitely garlicy, but tastes pretty good.

Well, at least you've got lunch covered! :lol:

PM incoming bud :)

EZM
02-27-2013, 09:50 AM
Cheese balls work great for stocked rainbows - velvetta is the ticket. Never tried it for perch.

For perch, definitely had better luck with maggots, meal worms, shrimp and other natural bait.

A tiny kastmaster tipped with maggots is the way to go for perch and whites.

dodgeboy1979
02-27-2013, 10:05 AM
shrimp and minnow pieces on small 1/16 oz jig heads has always worked for me.

02-27-2013, 10:15 AM

BBJ, got 2 different types of rod tip spring bobbers, used them this weekend, pretty neat idea. They are great man , should of won some award as far as i'm concerned . Take any rod tip even the beefiest of the beefy and you can still make it sensitive with a 1.99 for 2 spring bobber .

You sure are stuck on the cheese and home made baits . Shrimp and minnows is all ya need hell put those on a bare size 8 or 10 hook you'll catch them all day long brother . You might catch the odd one with your home made concoction but Perch are fish . Fish eat fish . People eat fish . See what i'm saying here . I'm not trying to deter you i'm just saying far more effective baits out there . You can go buy a Walmart shrimp ring for what 3 or 4 dollars 100 pieces cut the shrimp pieces in circles just small things as your using a small hook . I don't know if your anywhere near the Fort but if you are shoot me a message I will set you up with some 10 and 8 Gamakatsu octopus hooks that I used for perch fishing back in the day .

silverdoctor
02-27-2013, 12:02 PM
They are great man , should of won some award as far as i'm concerned . Take any rod tip even the beefiest of the beefy and you can still make it sensitive with a 1.99 for 2 spring bobber .

You sure are stuck on the cheese and home made baits . Shrimp and minnows is all ya need hell put those on a bare size 8 or 10 hook you'll catch them all day long brother . You might catch the odd one with your home made concoction but Perch are fish . Fish eat fish . People eat fish . See what i'm saying here . I'm not trying to deter you i'm just saying far more effective baits out there . You can go buy a Walmart shrimp ring for what 3 or 4 dollars 100 pieces cut the shrimp pieces in circles just small things as your using a small hook . I don't know if your anywhere near the Fort but if you are shoot me a message I will set you up with some 10 and 8 Gamakatsu octopus hooks that I used for perch fishing back in the day .

I'm not stuck on the homemade bait, just did it for chits and giggles to see how it would turn out. hoping to get the kids out for trout this weekend too. I do have shrimp in the freezer already for bait, just need to find some maggots etc.

waterninja
02-27-2013, 12:17 PM
in the past i always caught perch with just a small hook and piece of worm, but lately it seems that a wire worm and maggot has been producing better. lucky for you that with that many lines in the water you can experiment with different combos till you find the one that works. good-luck.

02-27-2013, 01:18 PM
I'm not stuck on the homemade bait, just did it for chits and giggles to see how it would turn out. hoping to get the kids out for trout this weekend too. I do have shrimp in the freezer already for bait, just need to find some maggots etc.

I know Im just teasing . You should see if you cant get your hands on some small minnows , they are about an inch long , but hook thru the head and your laughin .