PDA

View Full Version : 18 foot tyee

slingshot
03-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Ordered a lund tyee with a honda 150 and was wondering if anyone is running this motor.Reason being is I have no idea what brand or pitch of prop I need for the best preformance

EZM
03-01-2013, 10:51 AM
Ordered a lund tyee with a honda 150 and was wondering if anyone is running this motor.Reason being is I have no idea what brand or pitch of prop I need for the best preformance

Pitches will range from 11" up to 28" for that 150 Honda engine.

Using a 19" pitch puts you right in the middle (balance) of low speed trolling, and good holeshot and tourque while still giving you high end performance and fuel economy.

I would recomend;

Solas HR Titan Stainless Steel 3 blade
1551-148-19 14.75 3 blade Stainless
$269.99 on sale

you will need to add (this is a two piece)

Prop Mount Kit- Thrust Washer HETW
- Spacer HESP
- pin / nut / washer
$47.68

i-boats has these on sale.

If you want more low end performance go down to a 17" or if you like top end go up to 21" but I would not deviate too much in the range of the prop pitches for that particular motor/boat combination.

I bet you will still get 48mph on that set up and still be able to pull the kids around on the tube / knee board with no problems.

EZM
03-01-2013, 10:53 AM
I should also add - this is the pitch that is recomended for your set-up on a 1800 Tyee with honda 150 for "best all around performance".

I just like the stainless steel option and prefer the 2 piece on stainless steel units so you can replace the "guts" every few years and not worry about the prop (as long as it stays in decent shape.

I would probably also pick up a cheap basic aluminum 19" pitch and hub kit for a spare - you can get some for your boat for under $150 or so.

Pm me if you are thinking of oredering one - we can share shipping out of Ontario - I'm getting mine from there - they are 30% less from i-boats.

Bigdad013
03-01-2013, 11:27 AM
It doesn't come with a prop? Personally, I'd go with manufacturer specs. Go with aluminum prop, for the price of stainless you can get 2 aluminums. To each there own.

Jamie
03-01-2013, 12:11 PM

Where are you useing it?

Jamie

Walleyedude
03-01-2013, 12:50 PM
On a boat like that, run a stainless prop. It's well worth the investment in terms of performance and durability. Aluminum wouldn't even be an option for me except as a spare.

My advice would be to buy a Merc hub kit and run a Merc prop. Far more options and I think just better props. I'd start with a 19" Mercury Tempest Plus if it were me, the Tempest Plus is the overwhelming favourite of the Lund guys.

EZM
03-01-2013, 12:59 PM
On a boat like that, run a stainless prop. It's well worth the investment in terms of performance and durability. Aluminum wouldn't even be an option for me except as a spare.

My advice would be to buy a Merc hub kit and run a Merc prop. Far more options and I think just better props. I'd start with a 19" Mercury Tempest Plus if it were me, the Tempest Plus is the overwhelming favourite of the Lund guys.

Agreed on the stainless thoughts - 100% - the stainless give better performance as it does not flex like aluminum and it also wears better.

Slingshot and I are running Honda 150's on the Tyee. The Honda is a 15 spline (not sure what the Merc is). I think the RMP band is a bit different as well on the Honda 150's.

The Quicksilver (merc brand) props are also an option on the Honda in a few configurations but you need a hub kit it looks like to me to convert.

I found another site with the bearing and hub kits pressed in already (on the Titan Solas HR) so that might be an easier option.

My spare will be a aluminum off the shelf 19"

baptiste_moose
03-01-2013, 01:29 PM
If this is your 1st big boat + it being alberta + it's right on edge of being small enough to get in tricky lakes + does he have a teen son using the boat. All factors to be considered. I recommend going with aluminum till you work out the corks. Go to budget ATV & prop just south or argyll motor sports. He sells these props with a high density rubber bushing hub kit that stays on the shaft and you can change a prop in 2 min. Easy on the bottom end during shifts as well. Props are about 90$ I think. Get a 17 for towing/sporty/big wave days when u need the power now. And get a 21 to make it fly for an evening fish on a glassy night. Basically get acquainted with both sides of the spectrum. Lets be honest unless there's big waves your never gonnna troll with a 150. Maybe some back trolling. Once you know what you like and your aquatinted with the boat. Treat your self to a nice prop and see if your moneys well spent!!

Walleyedude
03-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Yeah, you'll need a Mercury hub kit (Flo TorqII I believe) specific to the Honda, but like I said, well worth it my opinion.

The selection and design of the Mercury props are better than anything you'll get from Solas. To my mind it's not RPM band that's crucial, that can be adjusted with pitch and the PVS plugs, it's finding the right design to give enough bow and stern lift to get the best performance from the IPS2 hull.

Going Mercury means more dealers to choose from as well, so more options to try before you buy.

EZM
03-02-2013, 08:59 AM
If this is your 1st big boat + it being alberta + it's right on edge of being small enough to get in tricky lakes + does he have a teen son using the boat. All factors to be considered. I recommend going with aluminum till you work out the corks. Go to budget ATV & prop just south or argyll motor sports. He sells these props with a high density rubber bushing hub kit that stays on the shaft and you can change a prop in 2 min. Easy on the bottom end during shifts as well. Props are about 90$ I think. Get a 17 for towing/sporty/big wave days when u need the power now. And get a 21 to make it fly for an evening fish on a glassy night. Basically get acquainted with both sides of the spectrum. Lets be honest unless there's big waves your never gonnna troll with a 150. Maybe some back trolling. Once you know what you like and your aquatinted with the boat. Treat your self to a nice prop and see if your moneys well spent!!

This is probably boat number 10 for me. I have had some "experience" testing props on gravel, sand and many materials in my younger years - lol.

I hear what you are saying in terms of "finding the gravel" with a stainless prop - you are likely to strip the hub before hurting the prop.

Good idea on testing some props out - for $90 a pop - a couple spares with a quick change over isn't a bad idea either.

baptiste_moose
03-02-2013, 09:05 AM
This is probably boat number 10 for me. I have had some "experience" testing props on gravel, sand and many materials in my younger years - lol.

I hear what you are saying in terms of "finding the gravel" with a stainless prop - you are likely to strip the hub before hurting the prop.

Good idea on testing some props out - for $90 a pop - a couple spares with a quick change over isn't a bad idea either.

That was all for slingshot. Yes EZM. I'm sure you have it all figured out

EZM
03-02-2013, 09:59 AM
That was all for slingshot. Yes EZM. I'm sure you have it all figured out

Yeah .... but I'm thinking of grabbing an extra prop too .....that seems like a good idea to me ..... I am not to old to learn ......what are you saying .....lol.

Maybe getting a 15" pitch when taking the kids out for a day of knee boarding and tubing might not be a bad idea. After all, if this hub comes off in a few minutes - why not??

$90 a prop is a great deal ...

Thanks for the advice.

baptiste_moose
03-02-2013, 11:03 PM
haha. You got me. A 15 pitch would make that thing like a ferrari outta the hole!

EZM
03-02-2013, 11:46 PM
haha. You got me. A 15 pitch would make that thing like a ferrari outta the hole!

Yeah and when the boat jumps it will yank the kids so hard - they will have had enough of knee boarding in about 10 minutes - then I can go fishing ...lol

On second though - I will go with a 11" pitch - tear their arms right off .... fishing all summer undisturbed .....