PDA

View Full Version : Lake Water Temp under ice

Moosetalker
03-01-2013, 02:45 PM
Figured I would report.
Water Temp at Lac StAnne 35.7 & 13 ft ice solid Feb 28 2013.
Nakamun 39.6 & 12ft Feb 24 2013. Ice was solid.

Warmer water = soft ice?

Jack&7
03-01-2013, 02:59 PM
13 and 12 feet of ice? Huh?

I am assuming you mean depth?

AdamJ
03-01-2013, 03:10 PM
13 and 12 feet of ice? Huh?

The ice age is upon us

mulecrazy
03-01-2013, 03:43 PM
depending on the total lake depth, size, and currents water temp at the bottom of a lake is usually around 4deg C. At 4 deg C water is at its most dense point. This is why ice floats.

Was lac stanne temp in a large shallow bay? That temp correlates to 2deg c. the other is 4.2deg c which is about right.

Kim473
03-01-2013, 03:48 PM
Ice melts from the bottom up as the sun shines and the water warms.

Moosetalker
03-02-2013, 12:36 AM
Yes water depth.
My Husky auger is good, But 12ft of ice would be quite the feat for a hand held.

2c was recorded by Yellowstone. max depth of 10 mtrs about 700 mtrs distant.
Wanted to see if anyone else post temp/ice conditions for these lakes.

HunterDave
03-02-2013, 01:05 AM
Nakamun 39.6 & 12ft Feb 24 2013. Ice was solid.

Warmer water = soft ice?

Two weeks ago the water was 37 degrees at that depth by the camp. Last week no temperature but I noticed a difference in the bottom part of the hole when augering.....more slushie. Get your ice fishing in, it's warming up!

saskbooknut
03-02-2013, 06:07 AM
As previously stated the temperature of maximum density is 4 deg. C for pure fresh water.
As the water begins to cool further on the surface below freezing temperature in the fall, you get ice. There is big year to year variability in how much cooling happens before a lid of ice is formed. High winds in the fall allow more of a lakes body of water to cool to a lower temperature.
So...in deep water there is still a large mass of 4 degree C water once the ice cover is on.
When cooling ceases with snow cover and with warming air temperatures in the spring the water under the ice warms up towards some average temperature closer to 4 degrees, which softens the underside of the ice.
The mixing processes under the ice include convection and tidal sieche (yup, tidal influence in fresh water).
There are complex processes involved in the softening of the ice in spring. Big changes happen when the highly reflective snow is gone and the sun's energy can penetrate the ice.

Kim473
03-02-2013, 06:15 AM
As previously stated the temperature of maximum density is 4 deg. C for pure fresh water.
As the water begins to cool further on the surface below freezing temperature in the fall, you get ice. There is big year to year variability in how much cooling happens before a lid of ice is formed. High winds in the fall allow more of a lakes body of water to cool to a lower temperature.
So...in deep water there is still a large mass of 4 degree C water once the ice cover is on.
When cooling ceases with snow cover and with warming air temperatures in the spring the water under the ice warms up towards some average temperature closer to 4 degrees, which softens the underside of the ice.
The mixing processes under the ice include convection and tidal sieche (yup, tidal influence in fresh water).
There are complex processes involved in the softening of the ice in spring. Big changes happen when the highly reflective snow is gone and the sun's energy can penetrate the ice.

Called melting, from the bottom up ! Be safe out there.

Kokanee9
03-02-2013, 08:51 AM
Moosetalker - thanks for taking the time to post the water temps. This time of year its important to know how fast the water is warming up under the surface.

I am curious as to what you used to take the temp. readings.

I encourage other people to post water temps as well.

Moosetalker
03-02-2013, 10:22 PM
Used my vs825 UWcam, Next trip out Monday.

Allso will note how auger acts on bottom 1/3 of hole. Thats how I judged how fast its rotting Old school.

Moosetalker
03-05-2013, 10:24 PM
Nakamun 12fow, 40.5f- 5c. Ice still hard till last few cm.

Moosetalker
03-08-2013, 09:18 PM
Nakamun ice still ok on west side by boat launch feels solid. last few inches feel sludgy and binds auger. ice 20"+..
WT 40.5f

Lac StAnne dropped a few inches in thickness was about 20" a week ago 16" now 36.0f
Still commercial netting the lake.