PDA

View Full Version : King Starboard in Edmonton?

EZM
03-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Anyone know where I might find some King Starboard Marine Sheet Material is Edmonton?

King Starboard is a name brand of high density polyethylene or polypropylene sheet shock used in Marine applications.

It is also non conductive and will reduce noise to the transducer signal giving you a better image (return). This is key when running HD down imaging or side imaging.

I am planning on cutting this to a 6"x 12" size and using this as a mounting plate on my transom to attach transducers without drilling 4 holes for each transducer. I am running two transducers (maybe 3) so that's 8-12 holes instead of 2.

- It can be glued directly to the transom using 3M 5200,
- screwed with two small stainless screws (and silicone)
- or a combination of both.

I'm probably going to apply 5200 and run two small screws bedded in silicone for added assurance instead of drilling 8 holes in my transom.

I can get some online and have it shipped but just wanted to see if someone carries it locally first.

http://www.interstateplastics.com/White-King-Starboard-Sheet-HDPWEM-K.php?sku=HDPWEM-K&vid=201303031311-2p&dim2=12&dim3=12&thickness=0.750&qty=2&recalculate.x=88&recalculate.y=14

Alternately - if someone else in the area is looking for some - we can share the shipping cost ......... One sheet 12" x 12" x 3/4" sheet is same shipping cost as 2 sheets.

baptiste_moose
03-03-2013, 03:31 PM
I would look into Nylatron. I think thats what it's called. I used it for my transducer bracket and a Terrova Bracket. A 25"x10" piece was 85$. Very expensive and very strong. Sorry I'm useless though cause I can't remember where I got it.

Mikezilk
03-03-2013, 03:36 PM
I am looking at purchasing a 4' X 8' x 1/4" sheet of HDPE (high-density polyethylene ) for making brackets and a crate for my kayak. Not sure if 1/4"
will work for you, but I will have a few extra pieces..

huntsfurfish
03-03-2013, 06:07 PM
Cheaper just to order from Cabelas. Wait a minute you have a Cabelas up there, they may even have it.:)

Cabelas transducer mounting plates

EZM
03-03-2013, 07:19 PM
I am looking at purchasing a 4' X 8' x 1/4" sheet of HDPE (high-density polyethylene ) for making brackets and a crate for my kayak. Not sure if 1/4"
will work for you, but I will have a few extra pieces..

Appreciate the offer - I'm looking for 3/4" thickness without needing to laminate 3 pcs. together.

Thank you for offering.

EZM
03-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Cheaper just to order from Cabelas. Wait a minute you have a Cabelas up there, they may even have it.:)

Cabelas transducer mounting plates

Fishing Hole and Cabelas sat they have it. I think it's 3/8" or 1/2" I'm looking for 3/4" stock so the screw will have something to bite into.

I did see it at Cabelas a while back and it looked like Low density cutting board material. Wouldn't be my first choice of products to use - if I could find real starboard.

Both are out of stock right now anyways.

Semms like everyone is out of stock on everything ! tis' the season I guess.

Just trying to see if someone here in town has it. I think I'd rather trace and cut a nice angle on the bottom (same angle as hull) and have it level across the top so it doesn't look silly.

Garry B
03-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Contact Dawson at Redwood Plastics. I've bought HDPE and Polycarbonate sheet from them.

http://www.redwoodplastics.com/contact-us/edmonton-branch/

Walleyedude
03-03-2013, 08:25 PM
A specialty plastics shop is your best bet. Check the yellow pages under "plastic" and let your fingers do the walking.

big zeke
03-03-2013, 08:32 PM
Industrial Plastics in Calgary carries some, if there is a location in Edmonton I imagine they can get it for you. In my case, I laminated 3 plies of 1/4" with fibergalss cloth, gelcoated to match the hull and then adhered the finished product to the transom with fiberglass resin....this way you get adhesion over the entire surface (super strong) and no screwholes in the transom. I actually made mine large enough to screw a couple mountable tywraps to it so the wires are secured and still not holes in the transom.

Good luck.
Zeke

EZM
03-03-2013, 09:04 PM
Thanks Gary - I will try them tomorrow.

Zeke - good idea for a glass boat - mine is a tinner.

Garry B
03-03-2013, 11:02 PM
Thanks Gary - I will try them tomorrow.

Zeke - good idea for a glass boat - mine is a tinner.

You're welcome. I'll bet they have what you need and if not Dawson will help you find it. Good luck.

EZM
03-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Found it Locally !!!!!! and at half price ..........cut n ready to go .........

After investigating leads from forum members suggestions, I finally found a place that carries a HDPE product similar in properties to King Startboard in a 3/4" sheet thickness.

They will also cut it to your specified size on thier table saw. Plastic will cut on a standard wood blade table saw but the plastic cutting blades don't melt the edges....these guys offered to cut it for a minimal charge.

I am getting pieces cut to 6" x 12" x 3/4" thick which is perfect for mounting transducers or using it as a backing for installing ram mounts, downrigger brackets ect....

Product is marine stable, UV stable, non conductive and won't warp, rot etc....

Works out to WAY less money than you can buy from any retailer. (about $8-$9/each pc. compared to around $20 at Cabelas/TFH etc...)

Johnson Industrial Plastics - Edmonton
http://www.johnstonplastics.com/con_edmonton.htm
Guys name is Ryan at the order desk

Just wanted to share my findings ...... thank you everyone for your input and help ....

Garry B
03-04-2013, 10:52 AM

Just wanted to share my findings ...... thank you everyone for your input and help ....

Thanks for posting this. I checked their website and it seems they have a vinyl tubing I have been looking for. Love to buy local.

huntsfurfish
03-04-2013, 11:02 AM
Found it Locally !!!!!! and at half price ..........cut n ready to go .........

After investigating leads from forum members suggestions, I finally found a place that carries a HDPE product similar in properties to King Startboard in a 3/4" sheet thickness.

They will also cut it to your specified size on thier table saw. Plastic will cut on a standard wood blade table saw but the plastic cutting blades don't melt the edges....these guys offered to cut it for a minimal charge.

I am getting pieces cut to 6" x 12" x 3/4" thick which is perfect for mounting transducers or using it as a backing for installing ram mounts, downrigger brackets ect....

Product is marine stable, UV stable, non conductive and won't warp, rot etc....

Works out to WAY less money than you can buy from any retailer. (about $8-$9/each pc. compared to around $20 at Cabelas/TFH etc...)

Good to here.

EZM
03-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Got the material late yesterday.

HDPE material, nice and solid. 3/4" thick and cut to 6" x 12" pieces.

Pieces were nicely cut, packaged and ready to go for me 2 days after placing my order.

Product looks great and will work great for mounting my transducers on the transom and using it as a backing material for my down rigger mounts on the gunnels, ram mounts under the dash board to add strength and I will even have a piece or two extra to hit some unsuspecting edible fish with.

Marvel
04-10-2013, 03:20 PM
EZM,

I called Ryan up from Johnson Plastics and he said the material you are talking about is NOT UV stable and will not adhere to any sort of glue or adhesive. Was there a brand name for it? I too am looking for something to mount transducers to.

EZM
04-10-2013, 10:23 PM
I was specifically told the material was UV stable. I'd hate to have the material discolor (yellow) over time. Not sure it's a show stopper but it would kind of be ugly if it turned yellowish over time.