PDA

View Full Version : Gopher Fishing - For you Southern Fellas

HunterDave
03-04-2013, 12:42 AM
Time's running out for ice fishing down south of the province so I thought that I'd offer up an idea for you fellas until you can fish open water. GOPHER FISHING!!! :sHa_shakeshout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjlRsZ8nrhk

waterninja
03-04-2013, 01:58 AM
been there done that, also with muskrats. glad to see he practised catch and release.

HunterDave
03-04-2013, 02:15 AM
been there done that, also with muskrats. glad to see he practised catch and release.

Releasing a muskrat, now there's something that I'd pay money to watch! :lol:

waterninja
03-04-2013, 02:33 AM
Releasing a muskrat, now there's something that I'd pay money to watch! :lol:
i'll show you how and even video it with you as the star for free.

H380
03-04-2013, 06:58 AM
Did a lot of this as a kid , but don't remember ever releasing one intentionally .

sparky660
03-04-2013, 09:53 AM
We did that as kids at my grandparents farm but didn't practice catch and release either.

HunterDave
03-04-2013, 09:58 AM
I'm going to try it this summer out at the lake just for the fun/laugh factor.....lol! I think that the kids out there would love doing it in between chasing butterflies and catching frogs. It'd be fun watching them do it too. :)

sparky660
03-04-2013, 10:10 AM
Wear leather gloves just in case you catch an aggresive one.

Alberta Bigbore
03-04-2013, 11:51 AM
Funny stuff.

Warmbreeze
03-04-2013, 02:02 PM
Id like to learn how to do that with muskrats. Purely awesome. Especially if your not being cruel.

sparky660
03-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Id like to learn how to do that with muskrats. Purely awesome. Especially if your not being cruel.

You have a bigger set of balls then me. I seen what a muskrat could do to a german sheppard, I don't want anything to do with that.

HunterDave
03-04-2013, 03:13 PM
You have a bigger set of balls then me. I seen what a muskrat could do to a german sheppard, I don't want anything to do with that.

x2 My brittany lost a good chunk out of his nose to one.....lol. He cornered the muskrat and when he went in after it it reared up on its hind legs and lunged at him. They're mean little buggers and I wouldn't be trying to grab one even with gloves. :scared:

Warmbreeze
03-04-2013, 05:39 PM

Bigger balls....maybe. Dumber....more likely.

HunterDave
03-04-2013, 05:47 PM
i'll show you how and even video it with you as the star for free.

We NEED that video!!! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Graffy91
03-04-2013, 06:06 PM
Time's running out for ice fishing down south of the province so I thought that I'd offer up an idea for you fellas until you can fish open water. GOPHER FISHING!!! :sHa_shakeshout:

Used to snare em at the farm when we were 6-8 years old.

Then uncle let us start using his .22's, now were onto coyotes with my .308 browning x-bolt. :sHa_shakeshout:

Daceminnow
03-04-2013, 06:54 PM

Did a lot of this as a kid , but don't remember ever releasing one intentionally .

We did that as kids at my grandparents farm but didn't practice catch and release either.

glad to see i'm not the only one. my cousins and i used to work together in teams. one pair on the ground setting the snares around the holes and the other pair up on top a grain bin closing the deal once our quarry surfaced. two rods, caught twice as many critters. much better vantage point in taller grass when you're perched up higher. kinda like a hawk in the sky we figured. all when we were too young to carry a .22 on our own. never would i have thought i'd even see a video of this. good clean fun for sure.:)

Dace

nb180
03-04-2013, 08:50 PM
snared many gopher as a kid and when thay invade the yard but will have to give it a try next time i declare war :fighting0074::

Janaives
03-04-2013, 09:01 PM
Did that as a kid good times

catchandeat
03-04-2013, 09:18 PM

On field "x" i'll bet. Was I the only one who noticed the improper handling technique? Everybody knows your supposed to support by the tail and the belly. :sHa_sarcasticlol:
I'm totally gonna have to try this now! that's awesome haha

Brent_reid
03-04-2013, 09:24 PM
Alot of fun and laughs around the campsite when you tie a peanut in the shell to about 6 ft of fish line tied to a to a rubber band then about another ten feet of line tied again to the rubber band squirell or how ever you spell it lmao grabs it runs like hell then comes back about 10 feet doing mach 3 but will not let go of the peanut kids think its hillarious

BobLoblaw
03-05-2013, 12:24 AM
Alot of fun and laughs around the campsite when you tie a peanut in the shell to about 6 ft of fish line tied to a to a rubber band then about another ten feet of line tied again to the rubber band squirell or how ever you spell it lmao grabs it runs like hell then comes back about 10 feet doing mach 3 but will not let go of the peanut kids think its hillarious

That seems kinda mean!!!

(I laughed out loud just picturing it...:sHa_shakeshout:)

Kokanee9
03-05-2013, 01:40 AM
Thanks for thinking about us in the south Dave!

HunterDave
03-05-2013, 12:11 PM
Thanks for thinking about us in the south Dave!

I know that GUST is going through icefishing withdrawls so I figured you guys needed something to get you through until open water. :)