PDA

View Full Version : Dipsy diver reels

ak-71
03-04-2013, 10:26 AM
I am looking into reel/rod setup for dipsy divers

1. It seems that Daiwa Sealine reels get some really good reviews, but it must be some older models as "Daiwa® SeaLine® SG B/BW Line Counter Reels" look too new to have any reviews yet.
Am I right? Does anybody have any feedback on those?

2. Is SG27LC3B large enough for PP line (Line Capacity: 12/450), or you'd rather have "47"?

AccuDepth are cheaper, but seem to have some counter issues, Tekotas are nice, but cost too much, Sealines look like a good compromise

Thanks,
AK

huntsfurfish
03-04-2013, 11:09 AM
Should be a good choice. Which ever you choose do a "calibration". You will be able to use some mono backing also. After spooling up check what 100 feet will read compared to a tape measure. It may or may not be close. But will give you an accurate reference. Write it down on/in your tackle box.

honker_clonker
03-04-2013, 12:18 PM
You can also get some powerpro depth hunter and use any reel. It is a 4 color metered braid and changes every 25 feet(orange, yellow, blue, green). Allows for repeatability with any set up. Highly recommend it.

Cal
03-04-2013, 12:37 PM
I've never used the Sealine reels but I have used a number of other Daiwa products with nothing but excelent experiences. I would purchase anything they make with total confidence that I am getting my moneys worth.

Since there are some recomendations here on other methods of keeping track of your line heres my trick... With my Ambasadeurs I was able to accuratly moniter my line by keeping track of how many times the level wind moved back and forth. This will work with any reel that has a level wind that opperates while it free spools.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Love line counters , not us how much your willing to spend , but I run the Okuma magda for left handed reels , And the shamano tekota . Love the tekota . The Okuma is a lower quality reel but I had a large group of 8 last summer had no choice unless I was going to spend 200+ on a reel that won't get used often .

EZM
03-04-2013, 04:14 PM
Love line counters , not us how much your willing to spend , but I run the Okuma magda for left handed reels , And the shamano tekota . Love the tekota . The Okuma is a lower quality reel but I had a large group of 8 last summer had no choice unless I was going to spend 200+ on a reel that won't get used often .

The Okuma Magda Pro are all on my spare guest reels (and rods) on my boat - they are $60 each and are very good reels with a decent drag. No complaints at all.

There are so many great options out there - I'd suggest you go out and find a nice level wind reel with a nice small counter (to keep it from hooking your jacket, rod holder etc...) and something that holds the right amount of line for what you plan on doing with it. Comfort in your hands is also critical.

Some of the Diawa's counters look like the numbers are big enough for the elderly and blind and look like a toaster stuck on top of a spool of thread. One could bludgeon someone to death with that silly contraption.

You will, however, have the strongest wrist muscles on the lake after wrestling that monstrosity all day.

I like Abu Garcia and Shimano products but brands are your choice and preference. Smooth drag and I like the star drags myself instead of the knobs.

Cal
03-04-2013, 05:20 PM
The Okuma Magda Pro are all on my spare guest reels (and rods) on my boat - they are $60 each and are very good reels with a decent drag. No complaints at all.

There are so many great options out there - I'd suggest you go out and find a nice level wind reel with a nice small counter (to keep it from hooking your jacket, rod holder etc...) and something that holds the right amount of line for what you plan on doing with it. Comfort in your hands is also critical.

Some of the Diawa's counters look like the numbers are big enough for the elderly and blind and look like a toaster stuck on top of a spool of thread. One could bludgeon someone to death with that silly contraption.

You will, however, have the strongest wrist muscles on the lake after wrestling that monstrosity all day.

I like Abu Garcia and Shimano products but brands are your choice and preference. Smooth drag and I like the star drags myself instead of the knobs.

I already do... oh wait you were talking about fishing reels :sign0161:

03-04-2013, 06:31 PM

Not many options on line counter heavy bait casters in left hand that's all I could find , there was another Okuma reel but it is junky for more money . That's why I went to the Magda .

EZM
03-04-2013, 06:42 PM
Here's a good choice:

http://www.abugarcia.com/products/reels/round-reels/ambassadeur-line-counter/55006500-lc

nice

03-04-2013, 07:25 PM
Here's a good choice:

http://www.abugarcia.com/products/reels/round-reels/ambassadeur-line-counter/55006500-lc

nice

Abu makes a nice reel ill have to see if I can't get my hands on some in deadmonton . Might have to upgrade and sell the others here . Stay tuned folks lol .

huntsfurfish
03-04-2013, 08:00 PM
I also favour Abu Garcia line counters, and have about 8 others for leadcore and guests as well.

ak-71
03-04-2013, 10:36 PM
Here's a good choice:

nice

I was looking at those too, but they seem to have more complaints about counters than Sealine too. Most of them do have complaints about that though
Guess I need to look at them and see

Thanks,
AK

huntsfurfish
03-05-2013, 12:07 AM
I like the electronic line counters from Abu Garcia. they work on many of the 4600, 5500, 5600, 6500 and 6600 reels. Cant buy them anymore. Downside is you go thru alot of batteries.

SCHOOCH
03-05-2013, 08:54 AM
Here's a good choice:

nice

Thanks for the link, i bought 2 Penn Left hand reels at Bass Pro just because thats the only ones they said that came in left hand. Pulled the reel you just posted on their website and there it was!!!! Gotta pick a couple up now.......Thanks again!!!!!! S

Walleyedude
03-05-2013, 09:35 AM
I've never actually used one myself, but I've heard good things about these, especially for the price -

http://www.rapala.ca/products/rapala/linecounter.php

I have an Okuma Magda, I used it about 3 times before I relegated it to back up of a back up duty. It is not a good reel in my opinion, very poor drag, and notchy release/engagement system that never worked well. I bit the bullet and bought a Tekota 500LC and I've never looked back, they are amazingly good reels.

My advice would be not to go too big on the reel. They are in the rod holder most of the time, but if you're using 10lb mono or 10lb Fireline for trolling, the smallest size, or one size up, is all you'll ever need for line capacity and drag strength. Even with leadcore, I've yet to come across a situation where I didn't have enough spool capacity. There's really no need to go with the heavy and bulky reels like a 47 size Daiwa.

FYI - I remember seeing some line counters in the Bass Pro Spring Sale Flyer that I thought at the time were a pretty good deal, but I can't remember the details.

ak-71
03-05-2013, 10:46 AM
FYI - I remember seeing some line counters in the Bass Pro Spring Sale Flyer that I thought at the time were a pretty good deal, but I can't remember the details.

Good tip :) Thanks

EZM
03-05-2013, 03:42 PM
I've never actually used one myself, but I've heard good things about these, especially for the price -

http://www.rapala.ca/products/rapala/linecounter.php

I have an Okuma Magda, I used it about 3 times before I relegated it to back up of a back up duty. It is not a good reel in my opinion, very poor drag, and notchy release/engagement system that never worked well. I bit the bullet and bought a Tekota 500LC and I've never looked back, they are amazingly good reels.

My advice would be not to go too big on the reel. They are in the rod holder most of the time, but if you're using 10lb mono or 10lb Fireline for trolling, the smallest size, or one size up, is all you'll ever need for line capacity and drag strength. Even with leadcore, I've yet to come across a situation where I didn't have enough spool capacity. There's really no need to go with the heavy and bulky reels like a 47 size Daiwa.

I broke 2 Rapala reels - one similar to the link and a low profile bait caster - both were not cheap in price but sure were cheap in construction.

I love Rapala lures - I hate their reels - they are junk. Poor drag systems, worm gears that bind up and poor construction in general with $#!t breaking all the time.

You can get some real nice Abu stuff that is smaller in size and smooth and robust.

cube
03-05-2013, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the link, i bought 2 Penn Left hand reels at Bass Pro just because thats the only ones they said that came in left hand. Pulled the reel you just posted on their website and there it was!!!! Gotta pick a couple up now.......Thanks again!!!!!! S

Can I ask what you did not like about the Penn's

Walleyedude
03-05-2013, 04:03 PM
I broke 2 Rapala reels - one similar to the link and a low profile bait caster - both were not cheap in price but sure were cheap in construction.

I love Rapala lures - I hate their reels - they are junk. Poor drag systems, worm gears that bind up and poor construction in general with $#!t breaking all the time.

You can get some real nice Abu stuff that is smaller in size and smooth and robust.

Good info EZM.

I didn't mean to endorse them, I was going only by what I've read on a couple other forums. I've never actually used one, and after using the Tekotas, I'm pretty sure I never will either lol.

Walleyedude
03-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Good tip :) Thanks

I checked the flyer. 25% off the Daiwa Accudepth plus and 20% off the Sealine. Those are great deals on a couple really good reels.

EZM
03-05-2013, 10:31 PM
Good info EZM.

I didn't mean to endorse them, I was going only by what I've read on a couple other forums. I've never actually used one, and after using the Tekotas, I'm pretty sure I never will either lol.

No worries - like I said, they are my favorite manufacturer of premium cranks and my absolute favorite knife maker.

Their reels, however, have been a HUGE disappointment to me. I really, really wanted them to be great products. I am hard on my gear and that probably doesn't help.

The drags seemed to be jerky, the adjustments were not "finite" nor was the strength or durability even remotely acceptable.

I gave these products allot more of a chance and opportunity to prove me wrong than I normally would because of my love of their other stuff.

Any other brand would have ended up at the bottom of the lake in frustration.