PDA

View Full Version : Releasing fish caught in deep water

jhamaliu
03-04-2013, 09:53 PM
Here we go again, I know..

There's lots of threads on catching perch and other fish through the ice and the high mortality rate that comes once you start fishing deeper than about 25'. I'm wondering about catching walleye and pike from deep water with down riggers or dipsys.

The fish will ascend to the top a lot slower than a vertical technique and I'm wondering if this will lower the risk or is the pressure difference just too great?

What about large fish? Will a 30" walleye or 40" pike be able to handle the stress better than their smaller versions and perch?

The main reason I'm asking is that I would like to start using down riggers and dipsys to catch suspended pike and walleye anywhere from 30'-70', but I release almost all of the fish I catch and its pointless to even begin with these methods if I'm going to be putting all the fish I catch at risk. I'd like to hear some thoughts, experiences, and love to see some studies and information if anyone can track some down.

Mike_W
03-04-2013, 09:58 PM
I don't think it will make much of a difference anything over 25' is pretty much a death sentence for a Pike, Perch or Walleye..

Graffy91
03-04-2013, 10:00 PM
I don't think it will make much of a difference anything over 25' is pretty much a death sentence for a Pike, Perch or Walleye..

Exactly what I was taught by my old man, and hence why I only fish up to 25 feet.

AppleJax
03-04-2013, 10:06 PM
Keep your downriggers for trout and salmon fishing.

BGSH
03-04-2013, 10:12 PM
Keep your downriggers for trout and salmon fishing.

X2

BeeGuy
03-04-2013, 10:30 PM
If you get a perch on the down rigger.

It's probably a keeper!

silverdoctor
03-04-2013, 10:43 PM
If you get a perch on the down rigger.

It's probably a keeper!

lol, true enough