PDA

View Full Version : Big water planer boards

Nakoda boater
03-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Has anyone made one of there own or is anyone aware of someone/company that manufactures or ships to Canada?

This Shoo Fly one is nice but they dont like to ship to Canada...:(68854

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-06-2013, 01:48 PM
Fishin hole has them they are orange . Here ya are .

http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?action=product&se=21935

Nakoda boater
03-06-2013, 01:52 PM
Is this something you use? How big of chop?

fish gunner
03-06-2013, 02:06 PM
Is this something you use? How big of chop?

I make my own. I rig a short length of chain forward of center . This lets you change the action of the board to match water conditions . Attaching at the fore end of the chain for rough water . Attach amid the chain for calm water, this causes the board to maintain a vigorous leap. With the fore mount the water state gives the action . Some one in the nelson area should make boards.

Nakoda boater
03-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Any pics of yours?

I know Mike at "Split Shot" and Kerry of "Reel Fishing" have there own home mades.

I was hoping some of the ex-locals would chime in..

fish gunner
03-06-2013, 02:15 PM
Any pics of yours?

I know Mike at "Split Shot" and Kerry of "Reel Fishing" have there own home mades.

I was hoping some of the ex-locals would chime in..

No pics at the mo , could put some up during the weekend. Very plane 1x6 cut to shape a couple of lengths of ready rod .. I paint them bright orange to stop the flat land navy from fouling their props/boarders. Not fancy but they get the job done.

Nakoda boater
03-06-2013, 02:19 PM
Yes, do try and put some up!

Do you have a reel and a mast system for the board?

fish gunner
03-06-2013, 02:30 PM
Yes, do try and put some up!

Do you have a reel and a mast system for the board?

Nope , just use whatever is handy or sturdy on the boat. Cleats ,hand rail mounts , I use a small quality caribeaner (sp) to attach . Only use I've ever had for a wake board tower, lol . I am a great believer in k.i.s (keep it simple) the work required to secure a pole for big water boards is quite a hassle , I've never seen a craft with out cleats. Will put pics up asap.

tacklerunner
03-06-2013, 06:06 PM
Yeah I've made a bunch. Have a pattern somewhere. Typical Kootenay Lake planer boards:

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc416/tacklerunner/PlanerBoards_zps428ebc50.jpg

Made these last ones out of cedar and all stainless steel for my uncle as a gift.

The little plastic ones you can buy in stores won't work.

We use the heavy orange or pink "mason line" you can buy at home building stores attached to the same type of clip you would attach a down rigger ball to. The higher up you attach it to your boat the better.

Zip-in-Z
03-06-2013, 07:02 PM
Made a set when I was back in Manitoba similar to the Orange "Canon", approx 6" x 28-30" from a pine boards used them for spring lake trout when the fish are spooky and in the shallows & for Walleye on Lake of the Woods.

Also made a mast with two line spools that I inserted into base you put the swivel seats in, they took the line out 75 or more yds from the boat. I used heavy, perhaps 200lb nylon line that attached to each board.

The most critical item is the release clip, it took some time, but I finally found a release clip that worked properly, I believe they maybe in my tackle box at Sylvan, I found this one on the net which i believe is the same one's I used.

Check out this link .... lots of pic's of home grown & factory boards.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=homemade+planer+board&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=S-c3UdWhF5SuqAHz3oDoAQ&ved=0CCwQsAQ&biw=1512&bih=864

When we were fishin Great Bear, NWT, I took my smaller 12" planer boards that are similar to the Church Tackle one's that Cabela's sell's, I recall one Laker about 30+ Lbs came up in 10 fow & grabbed the back end of the board and submerged it for 4-5 seconds then it popped up and shortly after the fish hit my spoon. Who would even think a fish would try to swallow a 4"x12" board! There lots of fun to fool around with & they really work on spooky fish in the shallows.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/hi.gif

Zip

Nakoda boater
03-06-2013, 07:03 PM
Very nice TR! If I had an area to build these I'd give it a try.
If you made these to sell what do you think you would charge?

Zip-in-Z
03-06-2013, 08:22 PM
This is how mine worked .... slick!

There not cheep, in the order of $125.00 each .... a set (2) recently sold for $125.00 on Flea-Bay .

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/Schooled.gif

Zip .....

Nakoda boater
03-07-2013, 06:07 AM
I likie!
Can not beat the wood grain look compared to plastics, Blah..
Just as long as the tracking is adjustable(which it is) those babies will work like a hotdam!

Yeah I've made a bunch. Have a pattern somewhere. Typical Kootenay Lake planer boards:

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc416/tacklerunner/PlanerBoards_zps428ebc50.jpg

Made these last ones out of cedar and all stainless steel for my uncle as a gift.

We use the heavy orange or pink "mason line" you can buy at home building stores attached to the same type of clip you would attach a down rigger ball to. The higher up you attach it to your boat the better.

Bowfloat
03-07-2013, 07:44 AM
I found this plan years ago when I was looking to make a set.

This is my third set and have made a few changes compared to the plans, I made the back board longer than the front and mine is 100% wood with the exception of the eyelet.

Great winter project.

Nakoda boater
03-07-2013, 07:53 AM
Awesome!
Thanks!

fish gunner
03-10-2013, 04:23 PM
Got pics of my home built boards , these are my Alberta boards .made from 1x4 ply wood and painted bright for the less observant not used to a 75' spread off the back of a boat . 25$ top other than 100lb dacron which was another 20$

Nakoda boater
03-10-2013, 04:49 PM
Highly visable! If I was to run planner boards out at Travers I'm sure so ass would come to close...:argue2:

Nakoda boater
03-15-2013, 01:40 PM
After much hooing and humming Shoo Fly Fishing Co. sold me one and delivered via Fed-ex. Now I'm Ready for Kootenay lake next week!!:sHa_shakeshout:

Nakoda boater
03-26-2013, 06:02 AM

-How far apart are the two boards?
-Is the outside board longer than the inside board?
-Or are they equal length but offset?
-If so, how much offset?

Thanks.

deschambault
03-26-2013, 09:45 PM
Shoo fly sends them fedex - I have 2 different versions and I hope the shoo fly ones work better at slow speeds - they assure me they do. All work at 3+ mph but the trick is to find some that don't buck and then flip at slow speeds.

fish gunner
03-26-2013, 10:00 PM
Shoo fly sends them fedex - I have 2 different versions and I hope the shoo fly ones work better at slow speeds - they assure me they do. All work at 3+ mph but the trick is to find some that don't buck and then flip at slow speeds.

No boards most need tuned for water conditions.lol how many sets of boards do you think you need notice. the chain on TR and my board's that's for differing conditions. Flat water aggressive boards ,white caps calm boards .

fish gunner
03-26-2013, 10:03 PM
-If so, how much offset?

Thanks.

Trial and error ,yous board's will be how you set them up . No set fast rule .

Nakoda boater
03-27-2013, 04:13 AM

Yes they are a slow speed board.

grinr
03-27-2013, 05:24 AM
-If so, how much offset?

Thanks.

I made a set years ago,pretty much identical to Tacklerunner's pics other than I used 1"dowel instead of ready rod?Painted hunter orange with a little wire "flagpole" and ribbon for extra visibility.
I got the plans out of some fishing rag at the time?
My boards were the same length and offset by maybe 4-6" iirc?Again guessing,but maybe 10-12" apart??Sorry,it was near 20years ago?
I ran it with old flyline wrapped around a cleat and off of an old flyreel/rod butt in the boat for easy retreival the first year.....I know,kinda redneck eh?Next year I got a proper downrigger reel/cable and ran it off that.

deschambault
03-27-2013, 06:40 PM
No boards most need tuned for water conditions.lol how many sets of boards do you think you need notice. the chain on TR and my board's that's for differing conditions. Flat water aggressive boards ,white caps calm boards .

How many do I think I need - one that works. I currently have three - my first that I bought from a local at Woodbury that is great 3+ mph but tricky at 2.5, a set of commercial ones from Bass Pro that are complete crap and the new set from ShooFly that will hit the water in three weeks. Your condescending "thats what the chain is for" - go F U_self

fish gunner
03-27-2013, 08:27 PM
How many do I think I need - one that works. I currently have three - my first that I bought from a local at Woodbury that is great 3+ mph but tricky at 2.5, a set of commercial ones from Bass Pro that are complete crap and the new set from ShooFly that will hit the water in three weeks. Your condescending "thats what the chain is for" - go F U_self

Ok so what's the issue . Your board's won't run properly now your on your third set and still having issues. So your chain is in the wrong spot. Trying to help not pics you off . As stated ANY board needs fine tuning to run in all conditions . My apology if I come across the wrong way .

huntsfurfish
03-27-2013, 08:53 PM

Someone's trying to help you and you make a comment like that! Your lucky he's still trying to help. Comments like that aren't needed here!

Zip-in-Z
03-27-2013, 09:51 PM

Someone's trying to help you and you make a comment like that! Your lucky he's still trying to help. Comments like that aren't needed here!

+ 1 ... http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/ban.gif ... this Guy!!!!!

Zip ...

deschambault
03-28-2013, 01:54 PM
Go for it, doesn't matter. As per planer boards, some designs make more sense than others. The Bass Pro commercial model is a folding long plastic device which has an arm to tie the line and which holds the board open. As it must be under tension to hold the board open and because it has only one mounting hole, it is not tunable. My original boards have an angle cut on the front and back and the standard chain bolted to the cross arms as per all of the pictures in this thread. I have tried "tuning" the boards by tieing at various points on the chain (further back means more aggresive bite), turning them upside down (seems stupid but the only way my existing boards work is supposedly upside down) and adding various weights to the rear of the boards to keep the nose up. When the nose of a planer enters the water it tends to flip and this results in your board (including fishing line etc.) heading directly at the boat and generally diving. I have done this with 4 to 6 foot waves breaking over the front of the boat making for an interesting experience. If by tuning you mean, remove the chain from the mounting bolts on the cross arms and bolt it on at a higher or lower place on the board - I have not tried this. It may work but seems like a lot of work when you only use them for a few days a year. That is why I am trying a new set of planer boards. I do apologize for jumping on you but it seemed pretty trivial to say - all boards need tuning. Have a nice day.

jriad
04-25-2013, 12:29 PM
Ok this is great (not the fighting but the info) I think I will try to make one but I havent even used planar's up at Arrow (or at all for that matter) So I have some questions....simple ones. You run the boat line to the chain and tune by moving it through different links? Do you attach the downrigger clip on there as well?

huntsfurfish
04-25-2013, 01:37 PM
Ok this is great (not the fighting but the info) I think I will try to make one but I havent even used planar's up at Arrow (or at all for that matter) So I have some questions....simple ones. You run the boat line to the chain and tune by moving it through different links? Do you attach the downrigger clip on there as well?

No, to the line out to the planer board.