PDA

View Full Version : Using braid line?

Scott N
03-06-2013, 02:18 PM
Ladies and gents, what can you tell me about using braid line? I know that it's a lot thinner pound for pound than mono is, so does that mean I should be using some sort of backing (like on a fly reel) to fill up the spool on the reel? Is it normally used with a mono / fluoro leader? The reason I ask is because I've noticed that braided line comes in a lot of different colors, sometimes used to measure depth / length.

I've used Spider Wire once before, over 15 years ago, and it worked OK for me. What brands do you recommend? My intended use is ice fishing for lake trout down deep and occasionally pike. What sort of pound test do you recommend? I was thinking of picking up some 20 pound, good idea or bad? I'm on a quest to catch a lake trout from Spray Lake, and a few guys have said to use braid line because it doesn't stretch when fishing deep depths.

fish gunner
03-06-2013, 02:21 PM
Ladies and gents, what can you tell me about using braid line? I know that it's a lot thinner pound for pound than mono is, so does that mean I should be using some sort of backing (like on a fly reel) to fill up the spool on the reel? Is it normally used with a mono / fluoro leader? The reason I ask is because I've noticed that braided line comes in a lot of different colors, sometimes used to measure depth / length.

I've used Spider Wire once before, over 15 years ago, and it worked OK for me. What brands do you recommend? My intended use is ice fishing for lake trout down deep and occasionally pike. What sort of pound test do you recommend? I was thinking of picking up some 20 pound, good idea or bad? I'm on a quest to catch a lake trout from Spray Lake, and a few guys have said to use braid line because it doesn't stretch when fishing deep depths.

I suggest a level wind reel 125yard spool will fill. No need for backing . I use powerpro 20lb on my pike rig.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Braid is zero stretch making a faster secure hook up , I use fluorocarbon with my braid just simply as a leader , and is more invisible using Fluorocarbon making it newly invisible to the fish . Where as just using straight up jig or what ever to the line . Let last summer got into using that nanofi which is Some good stuff especially clear water walleye the diameter is so small and used no leader . But nanofil doesn't have the variation of line sizes as Fluor or braid , so it's more of a light weight line , perch. , walleye trout type stuff . I love the technology that line company's have done than the old mono that held it memory and stretches not abrasion resistant and so on . Braid and fluorocarbon are great things .

yetiseeker
03-06-2013, 02:32 PM
Braid has a few advantages along with disadvantages. Advantages are - no stretch line so you can long line and set the hook without stretch being a factor. It is also very strong and abrasion resistant. However, the disadvantages are it is visible to fish, and does not stretch (when fishing fishing for whitefish etc - it can rip the hook out of their mouth).

When fishing for lakers, use a double-uni knot to tie in a 5 to 10 foot piece of flourocarbon line and tie the flourocarbon directly to your hook. This way you avoid line spooking the fish, and get the strength and no stretch that braid provides. I myself, never use mono anymore.

Cal
03-06-2013, 02:34 PM

I use mono backing myself, for me I like braid because it will troll deeper with a given lure due to its thinner diameter, that said some days one will experience more short strikes with it than mono due to the lack of stretch. Another thing to concider is your line guides, braid can chew up the guides on some rods very quickly, make sure the guides on your favorite rod are up to the task. Of all the stuff I've tryed Power Pro and Fireline were my favorites.

I've played with braid periodicaly but keep going back to mono. I know about 80% of this board feels differently, but to me its minor advantages fail to make up for its equaly minor dissadvantages. The short and tall of it is that I cant say that it catches me any more fish, but I can say I hate tying on mono leaders, clearing ice or poplar fuzz off with greater difficulty, changing out line guides etc. Just my opinion.

BeeGuy
03-06-2013, 02:42 PM
I usually use 10lb power pro for ice and open water. Same reels.

I'll use a small swivel to attach a mono leader.

Never had a break off in many many fish. Including lots of open water pike.

Works for me.

Modified Albright is a great knot for joining mono/flouro to braided line.

Scott N
03-06-2013, 02:44 PM
Good info everyone, thanks!

ak-71
03-06-2013, 02:51 PM
I use PowerPro mainly on everithing, but any braid can be real PITA when it's cold and line ices up a lot if not in tent. Then I use the orange mono (Ice magic by Sufix).
One thing I like about braid - it doesn't have stretch and I think it makes strikes easier to see, hook set is easy and it feels like I am getting a bigger fish :)

waterninja
03-06-2013, 02:53 PM
i'm old school and only just recentlly started using braid. the main reason for the switch on my pike rods and tip-ups was the strength.was losing too many on mono due to break-offs. i find braid harder to cut and tie knots with, and i worry about the wear on the last eye of my rod but you can't beat it for strength. i also like that it has no memory.
i'll stick with mono on my trout rods.

Hunter Trav
03-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Suffix 832 is another good one to look at. All my pike rigs have been/will be switched to it. That along with floro leaders has been working great for me...

HuyFishin
03-06-2013, 03:09 PM
so most of you use braid to floura leader to a steel lead for your pike rigs?

Billy2017
03-06-2013, 03:09 PM
Suffix 832 all day

Jamie Black R/T
03-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Suffix 832 is another good one

I use this line on ALL my setups.

2lb right up to 50lb Suffix 832.

Knot strength is great, casts smooth and pound for pound has a lot of muscle and abrasion resistance.

For finicky fish or pike ill tie on a flouro leader but more often than not i tie directly to lure.

Jamie Black R/T
03-06-2013, 03:12 PM
so most of you use braid to floura leader for your pike rigs?

fixed it for ya.

Graffy91
03-06-2013, 03:12 PM
Suffix 832 is another good one to look at. All my pike rigs have been/will be switched to it. That along with floro leaders has been working great for me...

Suffix ftw!

HuyFishin
03-06-2013, 03:16 PM
fixed it for ya.

Sorry i'm new to certain areas in this, so any info would be greatly appreciated. the pike teeth never break your floura line?
I've always just tied my suffix straight to the eye of my steel lead and it works fine lol

ak-71
03-06-2013, 03:19 PM
so most of you use braid to floura leader to a steel lead for your pike rigs?

I use braid to floura leader unless it's for pike, then braid to steel leader for pike

One can use a long mono leader as a shock absorber when needed too (I used it for "bull redfish" in Texas)

03-06-2013, 03:24 PM
Sorry i'm new to certain areas in this, so any info would be greatly appreciated. the pike teeth never break your floura line?
I've always just tied my suffix straight to the eye of my steel lead and it works fine lol

Fluorocarbon line is incredibly abrasion resistant , the way it's made is very hard to cut never mind snap . If its stored properly , in dark cool place not sitting ithe sun , uv lights , freezing and thawing it will last you forever. Further more go to stuff like Berkeley big game which is a fluorocarbon leader material it's great stuff . I put iton my my pike olds as well as rod for my clients . Never had to replace it last year . Tie a snap swivel on and you'll be in business . We caught some pretty good pike last year no break offs . I'm a firm believer in the stuff , been using it for 2 years now , attach it to braided line , and you will not meet anything tougher . Ou might pay 25.00 for a spool of 50 yards or whatever it is but it will last you .

Freedom55
03-06-2013, 03:29 PM
Spin up a few wraps of monofilament, maybe 23', to prevent the braid from spinning on the spool. Or wrap spool with a layer of adhesive tape before tying your new line on. Backing line should ALWAYS be stronger test than your mainline or leader.

Free

HuyFishin
03-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Spin up a few wraps of monofilament, maybe 23', to prevent the braid from spinning on the spool. Or wrap spool with a layer of adhesive tape before tying your new line on. Backing line should ALWAYS be stronger test than your mainline or leader.

Free

one the of the guys from the fishing hole told me the same thing

EZM
03-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Agreed always use backing onto braid - braid is so slippery it will spin on your spool.

I use power pro exclusively.

If you are concerned about "lack of stretch" and ripping the hook out of a fishes mouth you have two choices, the weight and action (overall spine and spring back speed) of your rods OR you can use a snubber when trolling or jigging for soft mouth or smaller fish.

For fishing with Lures (casting and retrieving or trolling), I often run the braid right to my steel leader for pike. For trout I use a fluorocarbon leader.

Keep in mind fluorocarbon leader materials is different than fluorocarbon line. The line is more supple but offers less abrasion resistance.

Simply stated, braid is the greatest advancement in fishing technology in many years. The advantages far outweigh any perceived negatives with this product.

There are no negatives I can think of that cannot be addressed with a little education (example of the snubber or softer rod to address the lack of stretch in some applications where this is a detriment) as one example.

The cost of the braid is higher, but you will break less line and save money in the long run.

My 3 cents ........

(the change from Bee Guy's 5 cent government cash grab)

ak-71
03-06-2013, 04:03 PM
Small piece of electric tape before you spool it and it won't slip. Helps if you're saving spool space for a very long wade-ins or what ever

New Hunter Okotoks
03-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Be careful handlining with braid. I have had a few large pike take a run and the braid just cleanly cuts flesh on a finger crease right to the bone. The good thing is that these cuts are so clean they heal up surprisingly fast.

I used to fish walleye a lot from shore in the rocks. Getting snagged up meant wrapping the monofilament line twice around the hand and walking backwards until it broke at the snag. Using braid like this would just cut a hand to the bone all the way around.

Braid is very visible as well. I looked at braid on the camera and it just stands out like a flashing sign even though it is so thin.

Cal
03-06-2013, 04:35 PM
Agreed always use backing onto braid - braid is so slippery it will spin on your spool.

I use power pro exclusively.

If you are concerned about "lack of stretch" and ripping the hook out of a fishes mouth you have two choices, the weight and action (overall spine and spring back speed) of your rods OR you can use a snubber when trolling or jigging for soft mouth or smaller fish.

For fishing with Lures (casting and retrieving or trolling), I often run the braid right to my steel leader for pike. For trout I use a fluorocarbon leader.

Keep in mind fluorocarbon leader materials is different than fluorocarbon line. The line is more supple but offers less abrasion resistance.

Simply stated, braid is the greatest advancement in fishing technology in many years. The advantages far outweigh any perceived negatives with this product.

There are no negatives I can think of that cannot be addressed with a little education (example of the snubber or softer rod to address the lack of stretch in some applications where this is a detriment) as one example.

The cost of the braid is higher, but you will break less line and save money in the long run.

My 3 cents ........

(the change from Bee Guy's 5 cent government cash grab)

I'm not dissagreeing with this, but I know how to make braid work and I just have to sometimes ask mysel "why bother?" Imo its downfall is that it is a little less user friendly, I'm a big fan of "user friendly". When I'm trying to maintain boat controll in a good chop and keep a boat load of kids into fish "user friendly" puts more fish in the boat than "zero stretch" or "ultra thin diameter". Once again I'm not saying that braid isnt a good thing, just saying that it isnt neccesarily for everyone.

trainerdave
03-06-2013, 05:07 PM
Trolling...Braid,Pike Braid,walleye Braid,Whitefish and smalltrout 4-6lb mono as it is more invisible and easy to work with if you are changing your flies. I also like the feel of mono while bottom bouncing in the current. Icefishing braided with a leader because it is abraision resistant. Sometimes I find braided line gets itself in to rediculous knots because it is so limp and yes good luck snipping braided with your teeth.

ssyd
03-06-2013, 05:08 PM
I've fished for pike without leader with 10lb braid. It's great for big fish and I caught a bunch of perch on the same line this winter and stocked trout in the summer. I use leader now for the pike to be safe but it takes a lot to break this braid. It's great for river fishing. I guess I've been so spoiled by braid that I can't stand trying to use light mono with its memory. Braid spools off so nicely, never coils up. I always get frustrated using mono but that's probably because I've pretty much always used braid.

dodger
03-06-2013, 06:13 PM
[QUOTE=New Hunter Okotoks;1877265]Be careful handlining with braid. I have had a few large pike take a run and the braid just cleanly cuts flesh on a finger crease right to the bone. The good thing is that these cuts are so clean they heal up surprisingly fast.

WHEW !!!!!! I thought i was the only dumb one who kept slicing up my fingers with braided line. What a relief !! Pike teeth + braided line = very bloody boat :scared0015:

Dodger.

Hunter Trav
03-06-2013, 06:15 PM
Fluorocarbon line is incredibly abrasion resistant , the way it's made is very hard to cut never mind snap . If its stored properly , in dark cool place not sitting ithe sun , uv lights , freezing and thawing it will last you forever. Further more go to stuff like Berkeley big game which is a fluorocarbon leader material it's great stuff . I put iton my my pike olds as well as rod for my clients . Never had to replace it last year . Tie a snap swivel on and you'll be in business . We caught some pretty good pike last year no break offs . I'm a firm believer in the stuff , been using it for 2 years now , attach it to braided line , and you will not meet anything tougher . Ou might pay 25.00 for a spool of 50 yards or whatever it is but it will last you .

I agree with John, I have been using the Berkley Big Game floro leader material now for a couple of years, and I'm sold. I use 100lb for quick strike rigs in the winter, and in the summer for pike. I have been using 25lb stuff for my walleye rigs, and I also have 10lb stuff for trout or whitefish. I have yet to see a pike bite through the 100lb stuff, it gets nicked up a bit, but I usually go through a season with the same leader/quick strike rig before replacing...

Chisholm77
03-06-2013, 08:03 PM
I'm on a quest to catch a lake trout from Spray Lake, and a few guys have said to use braid line because it doesn't stretch when fishing deep depths.

I think the info about braided/ flouro line here is great and I may try some someday. However, it isn't necessary to catch a laker at Spray. I've been out there pretty much once a week since New Years and always seem to find fish. I have 4lb Trilene ice line on 2 of my rods, 6lb Trilene XL on another 2. I haven't had a problem catching on any of them. Sometimes I tie a swivel and use a 2' 8lb mono leader for my buzz bomb so I can drop it faster without tangling my line.

I like the idea of the flouro leader but haven't pulled the trigger on purchasing any.

Guitarplayingfish
03-06-2013, 08:16 PM
Lots of good info.

If it was me, I would use braid for pike.. no need for a leader or anything. Pike aren't picky.

If you want to make things easy for lake trout, use your braided spool, but put a mono or fluoro leader (~3-6ft... everyone has their own preference) on the end before you tie on your tackle.

BigPikeHunter
03-06-2013, 09:03 PM
Personally I like hunting for BIG pike, so I use 30lb braided and a titanium leader. GREAT RESULTS!!!

03-06-2013, 09:13 PM
I agree with John, I have been using the Berkley Big Game floro leader material now for a couple of years, and I'm sold. I use 100lb for quick strike rigs in the winter, and in the summer for pike. I have been using 25lb stuff for my walleye rigs, and I also have 10lb stuff for trout or whitefish. I have yet to see a pike bite through the 100lb stuff, it gets nicked up a bit, but I usually go through a season with the same leader/quick strike rig before replacing...

I use 50 when in pike fishing 10"lb for walleye leaders . I tried the 100 it's far to difficult to tie , but it's what I use when I make custom leaders for people and have the crimps and what not . And I use 80 lb for sturgeon fishing .

JReed
03-07-2013, 08:52 AM
Braid has a few advantages along with disadvantages. Advantages are - no stretch line so you can long line and set the hook without stretch being a factor. It is also very strong and abrasion resistant. However, the disadvantages are it is visible to fish, and does not stretch (when fishing fishing for whitefish etc - it can rip the hook out of their mouth).

When fishing for lakers, use a double-uni knot to tie in a 5 to 10 foot piece of flourocarbon line and tie the flourocarbon directly to your hook. This way you avoid line spooking the fish, and get the strength and no stretch that braid provides. I myself, never use mono anymore.

I use 10lb spider wire braid and it's great for pike, trout, and whitefish etc. I've never lost a whitefish due to the line not stretching and ripping the hook out of its mouth. Also, the line may be visible to the fish but in my experience it hasn't stopped them from biting the lure

Hunter Trav
03-07-2013, 09:16 AM
I use 50 when in pike fishing 10"lb for walleye leaders . I tried the 100 it's far to difficult to tie , but it's what I use when I make custom leaders for people and have the crimps and what not . And I use 80 lb for sturgeon fishing .

I don't even try tying it, I just go for the crimps. Even the 25 lb stuff I prefer to crimp as well...

baptiste_moose
03-07-2013, 11:38 AM
I love braid. The color coded stuff your talking about is most likely lead-core. It's a weighted trolling line for getting hooks to deeper depths. That's a whole other bag of worms. Lotsa math involved. The In-Fisherman boys like Linder swear by it.

03-07-2013, 12:15 PM
I don't even try tying it, I just go for the crimps. Even the 25 lb stuff I prefer to crimp as well...

Well when I use for sturgeon fishing I prefer to tie a simple unit not a bit tricky to tie but once you get it your laughing .

Hunter Trav
03-07-2013, 01:02 PM
I love braid. The color coded stuff your talking about is most likely lead-core. It's a weighted trolling line for getting hooks to deeper depths. That's a whole other bag of worms. Lotsa math involved. The In-Fisherman boys like Linder swear by it.

You can get color coded braid now as well...

baptiste_moose
03-07-2013, 01:13 PM
You can get color coded braid now as well...

I guess you learn something new everyday. Nice to know.

cube
03-07-2013, 03:03 PM

Have you tried the canoe man knot on your heavy flouro leaders? It works well for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnsm0imaR0k