PDA

View Full Version : Single hooks on cranks

Deano85
03-06-2013, 05:18 PM
Would like to switch over some of my crankbaits, from treble to single hooks. Any recommendations on which hooks to use, thanks.

dodger
03-06-2013, 06:01 PM
I can't help you regarding the single hook selection :(

But, what i do is cut one hook off each treble and the remaing two hooks work well for catching and work fantastic for the release. I use to drive myself crazy when releasing a Pike, everytime I unhooked one the other would go and hook itself. Not anymore :sHa_shakeshout:

Dodger.

Graffy91
03-06-2013, 06:08 PM
Would like to switch over some of my crankbaits, from treble to single hooks. Any recommendations on which hooks to use, thanks.

Matuzo hooks.

cube
03-07-2013, 05:05 PM

Can I ask why you would like to switch them?

Graffy91
03-07-2013, 05:10 PM
Can I ask why you would like to switch them?

Trebles to terrible things to pike. Especially husky jerks that have 3 trebles on one lure...

fish gunner
03-07-2013, 06:03 PM
Owner hooks , simply the best.

Lornce
03-07-2013, 06:05 PM

x2

Cal
03-07-2013, 06:51 PM
Trebles to terrible things to pike. Especially husky jerks that have 3 trebles on one lure...

Ya, I realy hate how the husy jerks have three trebles, with a regular floater I just pull one hook off but with a suspending lure they dont work properly.

EZM
03-07-2013, 07:01 PM
a single hook of equal weight of the treble will ensure the action of the lure isn't ruined.

Typically this means a size 6 or 8 treble becomes a larger size 2 single.

FishingZach
03-07-2013, 09:09 PM
x2

X3

cube
03-07-2013, 09:30 PM

According to the Biologist at Cold Lake (When Levy was talking to him about Seibert) said that trebles and if I recall multiple trebles actually have a lower mortality than single hooks. He said that the trebles and esp. the multiple trebles might cause more lip damage but do not go deep down the throat and stay by the lips. He also said that the singles not only go further back in the throat and injure gills and throat but are also more likely to penetrate deep into the roof of the mouth and actually reach the brain.

Hence I stopped putting singles on my baits.

I do agree that singles are easier on the fisherman as they are easier to remove and not nearly as scary when reaching for a large pike with flailing large plug with multiple trebles.

EZM
03-07-2013, 09:43 PM
According to the Biologist at Cold Lake (When Levy was talking to him about Seibert) said that trebles and if I recall multiple trebles actually have a lower mortality than single hooks. He said that the trebles and esp. the multiple trebles might cause more lip damage but do not go deep down the throat and stay by the lips. He also said that the singles not only go further back in the throat and injure gills and throat but are also more likely to penetrate deep into the roof of the mouth and actually reach the brain.

Hence I stopped putting singles on my baits.

Opened Pandora's box with this one ............ many credible studies suggest the opposite is true. Search barbless threads - many of us have been back and forth on this issue as well.

I'm not saying he did not tell you that, I've heard some pretty silly stuff from biologists before but I'd suggest this biologist is wrong.

Being a biologist he should have a basic understanding of where a fish's tiny brain is located to his mouth ........and the angle and depth of penetration required to pierce the brain with a curved hook.

I have caught hundreds upon hundreds of fish and saw hundreds and hundreds more caught and never once did I witness death due to a hook in the brain.

I have, however, seen a significant number of fish bleed to death because of a hook penetrating the artery intersecting their gills (both trebled and singles).

I'd suggest his theory is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, it's possible, maybe one in a million, but not a sound hypothesis.

pikergolf
03-07-2013, 09:44 PM
I use a single large treble with a double split ring, did not really notice a drop in hook ups but makes releasing very easy and less dangerous.

http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q550/gusplace/CDCandElkcaddis-1-2_zpsae8e3afd.jpg

EZM
03-07-2013, 10:03 PM
Look at the teeth marks in that good old lure ..... time for a new paint job !!!!

Drewski Canuck
03-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Put a 5/0 circle hooks on. You have to put them on in pairs. Face one in one direction, and the other in the opposite direction. You have to oppose the two hooks to maintain the balance.

The only exception is a Canadian Wiggler where you only replace the rear hook which trails straight.

Drewski

Cal
03-08-2013, 12:36 PM
Opened Pandora's box with this one ............ many credible studies suggest the opposite is true. Search barbless threads - many of us have been back and forth on this issue as well.

I'm not saying he did not tell you that, I've heard some pretty silly stuff from biologists before but I'd suggest this biologist is wrong.

Being a biologist he should have a basic understanding of where a fish's tiny brain is located to his mouth ........and the angle and depth of penetration required to pierce the brain with a curved hook.

I have caught hundreds upon hundreds of fish and saw hundreds and hundreds more caught and never once did I witness death due to a hook in the brain.

I have, however, seen a significant number of fish bleed to death because of a hook penetrating the artery intersecting their gills (both trebled and singles).

I'd suggest his theory is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, it's possible, maybe one in a million, but not a sound hypothesis.

I'm with you on the "brain theory", sounds like hogwash. The theory on single hooks doing more damage due to being taken deeper is not uncommon though, Len Thompson gives that as the reason that they dont put single hooks on their lures. Strange because they own Gibbs and Gibbs does put single hooks on many of their lures.

huntsfurfish
03-08-2013, 04:25 PM
If I remember correctly(and I may not:)). Smaller fish are more susceptible to braining with certain sizes of hooks(think it was singles though), remember reading(study or a paper on trout) about it somewhere. Dont remember the details though(getting old:)).

Where's beeguy?

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-08-2013, 05:06 PM
If I remember correctly(and I may not:)). Smaller fish are more susceptible to braining with certain sizes of hooks(think it was singles though), remember reading(study or a paper on trout) about it somewhere. Dont remember the details though(getting old:)).

Where's beeguy?

X2 I remember reading something but don't recall where it it was it was a report done by a group of fisheries students .

fish gunner
03-08-2013, 05:56 PM

Where's beeguy?

Trout under 14" a size 10-8 baited hook , if memory serves and I believe the danger is actually the vital organs (heart)article was in a ff magazine.

huntsfurfish
03-08-2013, 06:05 PM
Not sure fish gunner, dont think it was a magazine article I read. I believe it was brain penetration not heart.

But i think there was something like you suggest out there as well.

fish gunner
03-08-2013, 07:26 PM
Not sure fish gunner, dont think it was a magazine article I read. I believe it was brain penetration not heart.

But i think there was something like you suggest out there as well.

Just something i remember reading , not disputin the brain damage theory. As I understand the size of the hook relative to the fish is crucial. No doubt if the hook swings upward the damage could easily enter the brain.