PDA

View Full Version : Licence

Mountain Guy
03-07-2013, 06:10 PM
Just buying my AB licence to do some ice fishing this weekend. Am i paying the full year amount - $26 and change? It's only good till the end of March.
I haven't bought a AB licence in a few years.
When do the post March licences go on sale?

Willowtrail
03-07-2013, 06:13 PM
Youre paying full price but still cheaper than a ticket. Still expires mar 31, 3013.

Im not sure when the 2014 go on sale but it would be good for the rest of this year. I think its 2 weeks from the end of the season.

Kokanee9
03-07-2013, 06:22 PM
While the amount of fishing time may seem short, is the cost really that much? The money does help support stocking and other programs.

It's possible to spend more by going out in the summer and losing a couple lures to snags in an afternoon.

AppleJax
03-07-2013, 06:29 PM
Youre paying full price but still cheaper than a ticket. Still expires mar 31, 3013.

Im not sure when the 2014 go on sale but it would be good for the rest of this year. I think its 2 weeks from the end of the season.

Bought mine April 1 last year....river fishing is open all year on the NSR.

Mountain Guy
03-07-2013, 07:37 PM
While the amount of fishing time may seem short, is the cost really that much? The money does help support stocking and other programs.

It's possible to spend more by going out in the summer and losing a couple lures to snags in an afternoon.

No..its not the 26 bucks. Just seems wrong that you have to pay full season for a day and a half of fishing.
For me this happens quite a bit as I don't get out in the province for summer fishing and seem to only get time in march for ice fishing.
I thought I was able to get my next years licence one year sometime in March.
And no I don't think I'm a criminal for doing such as I only fish a couple days a year in the province during ice fishing season.

Pincherguy
03-07-2013, 07:45 PM
No..its not the 26 bucks. Just seems wrong that you have to pay full season for a day and a half of fishing.
For me this happens quite a bit as I don't get out in the province for summer fishing and seem to only get time in march for ice fishing.
And no I don't think I'm a criminal for doing such as I only fish a couple days a year in the province during ice fishing season.

Just wondering, Where do you live and where do you do most of your fishing?
I agree that it is a shame to pay for a full years for a couple of days fishing. I gues that it would be too much of a hassle to break it down to a month to month or day today event licence.

tight line
03-07-2013, 07:46 PM
Still cheaper than a 1 day licence in BC.... Lol

bobalong
03-07-2013, 08:13 PM

They are usual available about March 16 or so.

Mountain Guy
03-07-2013, 08:14 PM
Just wondering, Where do you live and where do you do most of your fishing?
I agree that it is a shame to pay for a full years for a couple of days fishing. I gues that it would be too much of a hassle to break it down to a month to month or day today event licence.

Jasper and BC

Mountain Guy
03-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Still cheaper than a 1 day licence in BC.... Lol

lol...true! But it feels better getting a discount :)

trainerdave
03-07-2013, 08:23 PM
How much will you spend on gas that just goes down the pipe?... 26 bucks is not much to support something you like to do....

NEWB
03-07-2013, 09:31 PM

$26.00 is very reasonable considering the fine if you're caught with out a license...

It is only $26.00 for the license. What's the hang up?

Mountain Guy
03-07-2013, 09:48 PM
$26.00 is very reasonable considering the fine if you're caught with out a license...

It is only $26.00 for the license. What's the hang up?

With less than 1 month of season left the licence cost should be reduced.
I know a few folks in similar situations to me that choose to not fish the last month because of the fact that they dont want to pay full price for a licence.
They can easily afford the cost but for whatever reason they think its a rip off to pay it for a day or 2 of fishing.
I think its a rip off too but will be going to Albertarelm after this and buying it.
If they had a reduced price late in the season they would probably get more fisherman buying it.
And I think thats to SRD's advantage as those who buy in for the reduced price will probably experience the same crappy fishing as those who fisdh all year :):)

AppleJax
03-07-2013, 10:10 PM
I have a Sask, AB, BC, and federal Coastal license. Alberta is the cheapest. Wa wa wa just pay the 26 bucks. If anything they should increase the cost for more funding. If you don't want to buy a license go fishing in the seafood section of your local grocery store.:sign0161:

huntsfurfish
03-08-2013, 09:33 AM
I know a few folks in similar situations to me that choose to not fish the last month because of the fact that they dont want to pay full price for a licence.
They can easily afford the cost but for whatever reason they think its a rip off to pay it for a day or 2 of fishing.
I think its a rip off too but will be going to Albertarelm after this and buying it.
If they had a reduced price late in the season they would probably get more fisherman buying it.
And I think thats to SRD's advantage as those who buy in for the reduced price will probably experience the same crappy fishing as those who fisdh all year :):)

They/you can buy your licence at the start of the season instead of waiting to buy at the end and complaining about it.:) Then you have all year to use it and still have good value even if you only get out once!:):):thinking-006:

Willowtrail
03-08-2013, 09:53 AM
I took my girlfriend out twice in february. Once was for 3 hours with her son and then once on free fishing weekend. Had to get a win as well. So whats that. $34? So I paid $11.33 per hour of fishing. I could care less about the money. Getting someone out fishing is worth it. I've spent more on booze that i just pizzed out an hour later and nobody heard me complaining about that. I bet you've done the same.

Our licenses are cheap enough in AB

NEWB
03-08-2013, 10:14 AM

So what..

I paid $22.77 for a Manitoba Conservation a few months back. I only fished for a few hours. Will I use it again before I need to purchase a new conservation licence? Probably not.

I had no issues paying for a conservation licence for only fishing for a few hours.

If you want to play, you need to play.

I could see your point if the licence was a few hundred dollars. It's $26.00.

You would spend way more than that if you went out for dinner, or to a movie, or a night out....

Kevwood
03-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Round of golf with cart......$80........4.5 hrs of entertainment
Date out at the movies .....$50........2 hrs of entertainment
Dinner at Restaurant.........$60........1.5 hrs or entertainment
etc.....

Fuel to get to lake & back..$50.....
Bait, Lunch, beverages......$40.....
License..........................?$26?...

One of the cheapest things you will buy is your fishing license....you would like to pay what amount? $5? $10?

Sorry, but it is very inexpensive to purchase a license compared to numerous other activities in Alberta irregardless of when the license is bought...as others have suggested if you can afford the cost of getting to the lake, bait, food, gear for fishing etc... then I hope you can afford the license...

laker
03-09-2013, 07:45 PM
Mountain you should of went out family fishing day, when it was free.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-09-2013, 08:17 PM

It should be but Alberta has the lowest fishing licenses in the province at least that was the case not so sure it like that but I've been from Manitoba to Bc and Alberta the cheapest for me . I infancy think they should be raised even 50 dollars for the year would put more money into conservation .

Fish face
03-10-2013, 11:45 AM
I buy a non resident bc license every year and maybe get 4 days in. Gotta do what I gotta do. twice the AB price.

Mountain Guy
03-10-2013, 03:59 PM
Mountain you should of went out family fishing day, when it was free.

Couldn't..was just getting back from getting these. :)

Mountain Guy
03-10-2013, 04:04 PM
I buy a non resident bc license every year and maybe get 4 days in. Gotta do what I gotta do. twice the AB price.

Ya, me too. I've actually bought it before and never used it once! They do stock 100's of lakes.... probably a lot more than here.

Pincherguy
03-10-2013, 04:50 PM

what are those? never seen them before, where did you catch them

Pincherguy
03-10-2013, 05:45 PM

Can anybody tell me what kind of fish these are, never seen them before.

Mountain Guy
03-10-2013, 07:29 PM
wahoo,barracuda,mackeral,snapper and triggerfish

Mountain Guy
03-10-2013, 07:30 PM
caught near Cancun.....and didnt even have to buy a fishing license :scared0018:

bubba 96
03-10-2013, 07:56 PM
caught near Cancun.....and didnt even have to buy a fishing license :scared0018:

Did ya go out with a guide, or on your own..headin down in apr...

Mountain Guy
03-10-2013, 09:39 PM
Did ya go out with a guide, or on your own..headin down in apr...

charter / guide

nightcrawler
03-10-2013, 11:10 PM
Trip to Cancun, guided fishing trip, that must have been a LOT cheaper than an alberta license! LOL

Last time we went to cancun, my wife came fishing for the first time on a boat. She caught one of them there triggerfish. Thought it was beautiful.

Mountain Guy
03-11-2013, 12:41 PM
Oh well..I guess its just me ( again ) and a few guys I know that think there's something wrong with the fact that it costs the same to fish for one day as it does to fish for 365.
Be it $26...$260, $2600 or 26 cents is irrelevant.

huntsfurfish
03-11-2013, 01:21 PM
That would be your choice.:)
Buy your licence in April and you have all year to not fish.:)

laker
03-11-2013, 05:34 PM
[QUOTE=Mountain Guy;1882130]Couldn't..was just getting back from getting these. :)[/QU

Bet that cost more than 26 bucks! Were they good eating?

Okotokian
03-11-2013, 05:42 PM

I don't even want to think about what they are charging for a thousand year license.....

Mountain Guy
03-11-2013, 07:21 PM
That would be your choice.:)
Buy your licence in April and you have all year to not fish.:)

Don't get that luxury. March seems to be my only time, and one weekend at that.
Seems the one's that think I'm cheaping out are the one's that probably fish 300 days a year.
Sorry...i don't buy the ''you have to pay for the resource'' management or enforcement stuff.
Pretty obvious to me that my 1 or 2 days of fishing/year requires the same enforcement / management of the resource that it does for the guys who fish 300 days a year.
Just wondering if you guys would be willing to pay $1000 for a day of skiing at Marmot Basin? Thats about the price of a season pass. :thinking-006:

Mountain Guy
03-11-2013, 07:24 PM
[QUOTE=Mountain Guy;1882130]Couldn't..was just getting back from getting these. :)[/QU

Bet that cost more than 26 bucks! Were they good eating?

That triggerfish was superb.... snapper and mackeral were decent too.
Mexicans wouldn't part with the wahoo unfortunately. Guess they have families to feed.

huntsfurfish
03-11-2013, 08:47 PM
Where do you live that you cant get a licence in April?
Thought you mentioned Jasper. Licence is available in hinton no?
Besides you can get them on line too.:)

Tell you what, we will put the Alberta licence up to $75.00 so you arent upset about paying 26.00:)

Reddin
03-11-2013, 08:52 PM
If you smoke, lay off the butts for 2 days.

Mountain Guy
03-11-2013, 10:14 PM
Where do you live that you cant get a licence in April?
Thought you mentioned Jasper. Licence is available in hinton no?
Besides you can get them on line too.:)

Tell you what, we will put the Alberta licence up to $75.00 so you arent upset about paying 26.00:)
^^^
That works for me!

huntsfurfish
03-11-2013, 11:42 PM
Lol

ken1989
03-15-2013, 11:00 AM
I bought my new fishing licence today - good to March 31/14.

Mountain Guy
03-17-2013, 08:58 PM
I bought my new fishing licence today - good to March 31/14.
right on!
I needed mine last weekend so didnt get the luxury.