PDA

View Full Version : My First Time Ice fishing!

OneGirlWolfPack
03-07-2013, 10:35 PM
Well the stars finally aligned and I got to go ice fishing with Jack&7, New Hunter Okotoks, Kevinhits and Tacklerunner today. I was the only one who didn't catch anything (other than a bruise from a wipeout) but I still had a great time.
Sorry for the crappy pictures. I'm no Dace or Bob. :p

Some things I learned about ice fishing...

1) If you're told to bring a cooler for your lunch, don't show up with one like this because you will be laughed off the ice even after insisting it was the only one in home hardware! lol!
http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u396/1girlwolfpack/Snapbucket/62DDD7D6_zps0775c9ac.jpg

2) Watching fish repeatedly jump and miss the bait can cause you to become excitable and hit the leg of the person sitting beside you...repeatedly. Sorry Dean!
http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u396/1girlwolfpack/Snapbucket/663AE3EE_zps2a46436c.jpg

3) When choosing clothing to wear, don't wear a coat that dwarfs your body and causes you to wipeout in front of people taking pictures.
http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u396/1girlwolfpack/Snapbucket/F9D50FE7_zps6b45eaf6.jpg

4) All the fish seem to love Tacklerunner...and dislike me.
http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u396/1girlwolfpack/Snapbucket/2FA8BC91_zps66018d52.jpg

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u396/1girlwolfpack/Snapbucket/43435b99-0b76-453c-82c7-f34b3609ae1c_zps9645a74c.jpg

Other things I learned today...if the ice cracks a bit below your feet, that's normal and no cause to grab the person next to you as if you're fully willing to take them down with you. If you feel the need to be teased mercilessly, say something dumb like "I can't find my hole."

In all seriousness though, I really did have an awesome time and I can't thank Dean, Aaron, Todd and Kevin enough for their patience and advice. Thank you Aaron for the help with my vehicle! I haven't laughed that much in a long time. Thank you for inviting me! :)

finsnfeathers
03-07-2013, 10:49 PM
Purely awesome! It's all about the journey, memories, and camaraderie. Thanx for sharing!:)

fish gunner
03-07-2013, 10:53 PM
Congrats ogwp , now scold the lads for hogging all the fish lol. What's wrong with your cooler, excellent use of available resources.:)

Garry B
03-07-2013, 10:59 PM
Nice! Sounds like you had fun and that is what it's all about. Next time out you will use the skills you learned this time and soon ice fishing will be second nature. Good luck!

BeeGuy
03-07-2013, 10:59 PM
great trip report haha

glad you guys had a good time

valley13
03-07-2013, 11:00 PM
sounds like you had a great day:)
"cant find my hole":sHa_sarcasticlol:

Rabdo
03-07-2013, 11:10 PM
sounds like a fun trip!

HunterDave
03-07-2013, 11:45 PM
Great trip report! It sounds like you folks had a blast. :)

waterninja
03-08-2013, 01:25 AM
sounds like you had a fun time. next time it will be you posting the pics. of the fish caught.
like your jacket. if you do fall down then at least your buddies can find you, and it matches your cooler. i can only imagine the amount of offers you had to find that lost hole. lol.

JohninAB
03-08-2013, 04:27 AM
Sounds like fun was had by all so it was a successful trip wether fish were caught or not.

Lady White
03-08-2013, 05:32 AM
Looks like you had a good time! Thank you for sharing! Ice fishing is my favorite outdoor activity in the winter.

marlin1
03-08-2013, 06:24 AM
nice , sounds like a fun trip . At least you didn't step in a hole , lol

Lefty-Canuck
03-08-2013, 07:13 AM
Sounds like a great fishing trip and it looks like it was a heck of a day too!

LC

baptiste_moose
03-08-2013, 08:40 AM
Great report! I laughed pretty good. Now your hooked on hard water or as my wife calls it " her single parent months."

Dacotensis
03-08-2013, 10:20 AM
That's a pretty flashy cooler, looks like some parts of it would make for a great fushing lure. :)
I think everyone has taken a tumble when out on the ice, when the tip up goes, you run flat out. It's pretty comical and I don't know anyone who would'nt laugh.
I'm laughing just thinking about it.
That's a pretty stylish touque btw.
I will refrain from making any other comments that could get me suspended. I'm laughing too hard right now thinking of the possibilities.

Something tells me there are a few guys you went with who don't suffer fools lightly. If you made it through the day and home then you're a good fishing partner.

Congrats on your first ice fishing trip. The outdoors are an awesome place to be. It's the reason why all of us come to this AO forum. To share in our experience and gain a little more.

ogre
03-08-2013, 02:09 PM
Looks like a wicked day of fun was had by all. I also really like your attitude despite not getting into fish. A fashionable cooler is never inferior to the 4-gallon bucket which I use regularly for a lunch box , which also double as a bait bucket. Needless to say, all of my lunches smell like minnow :scared0015:

Hope you have more chance for more icefishing, and take lots of pictures. Maybe we will get to fish for sturgeon later this year with a certain individual.

Thanks for an uplifting fishing report!

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-08-2013, 03:12 PM
Sounds like it was a successful trip , just because you didn't land any fish doesn't mean the trip was wasted . Live and learn . And good for those guys for taking you out .

huntsfurfish
03-08-2013, 03:45 PM
Nice to see you guys had fun, hope your hooked on ice fishing.:)

OneGirlWolfPack
03-08-2013, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the replies! :) I joke around but I really did learn a lot. All four of my fishing partners were incredibly patient and taught me a lot. I'm used to learning on my own so it was really cool to see in person all the types of things I only read about on the forum but haven't tried for myself. That's the main reason I didn't catch any fish. I hung around each person just trying to watch and learn. As silly as it sounds I don't go out hoping for a big fish. I'm not at that stage yet in my learning....though I would like to see a fish other than a pike because that's all I've ever seen. Hahah!
For me yesterday was about hanging out with an awesome group of friends and seeing things I don't normally get to see like different hook set ups and baits I've never tried. I got to watch (with the fish camera) how different lures and jigging make fish respond. I even learned how to remove hooks better. Things like that are what I went for. The teasing, wipeouts and getting my vehicle stuck in a snowbank are all just hilarious bonuses. :D

Brent_reid
03-08-2013, 04:33 PM
Hey glad you got out and glad you had a blast thats the main reason you will be looking forward to the next trip. Congrats on breaking the ice.

Brent

OneGirlWolfPack
03-08-2013, 04:48 PM
sounds like you had a fun time. next time it will be you posting the pics. of the fish caught.
like your jacket. if you do fall down then at least your buddies can find you, and it matches your cooler. i can only imagine the amount of offers you had to find that lost hole. lol.

That's what I told them! Hahah! Thanks to my reflective strips, they could easily see me for picture taking opportunities if I fell through the ice!

Ogre- I would love to go sturgeon fishing with you and Wayne this summer! We can share my sweet lunch cooler. lol!

OneGirlWolfPack
03-08-2013, 04:50 PM
That's a pretty flashy cooler, looks like some parts of it would make for a great fushing lure. :)
I think everyone has taken a tumble when out on the ice, when the tip up goes, you run flat out. It's pretty comical and I don't know anyone who would'nt laugh.
I'm laughing just thinking about it.
That's a pretty stylish touque btw.
I will refrain from making any other comments that could get me suspended. I'm laughing too hard right now thinking of the possibilities.

Something tells me there are a few guys you went with who don't suffer fools lightly. If you made it through the day and home then you're a good fishing partner.

Congrats on your first ice fishing trip. The outdoors are an awesome place to
be. It's the reason why all of us come to this AO forum. To share in our experience and gain a little more.

Dac I don't know what you mean about some of them not suffering fools lightly. I'm not a good fishing partner yet but they were all awesome just like I knew they would be.

BIZJAY
03-08-2013, 05:09 PM
Hey good.fornyou for finally getting out sounds like it was a great day, keep at it and the fish will come

Lefty-Canuck
03-08-2013, 05:12 PM
Dac I don't know what you mean about some of them not suffering fools lightly. I'm not a good fishing partner yet but they were all awesome just like I knew they would be.

I think he meant to say, "don't suffer fools gladly"....but autocorrect made a boo boo.....

LC

Alberta Bigbore
03-08-2013, 05:23 PM
Congrats on the first time out!!

Moosetalker
03-08-2013, 09:07 PM
May it be the first of many. :):):)

bwackwabbit
03-08-2013, 09:16 PM
With a great attitude like that you'll only get more successful each time out.

Keep it up!

mudbug
03-08-2013, 09:31 PM

Hey it looks like you had a great day out :sHa_shakeshout:
Just so you know a great fishing partner is someone who has fun and is good company so I'd say you are already a great fishing partner :sHa_shakeshout:

Sooner
03-08-2013, 09:32 PM
Just keep trying, luck will shine on you. That's fishing. Looks like a good time for all.

Dacotensis
03-08-2013, 11:15 PM
I think he meant to say, "don't suffer fools gladly"....but autocorrect made a boo boo.....

LC

Lefty is Correcty.
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CEwQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.phrases.org.uk%2Fbulletin_boa rd%2F2%2Fmessages%2F226.html&ei=a9A6UdzGFoPSqQHZ8YHIDQ&usg=AFQjCNHZcuC4TpruuXMMym_yqN_fW9j9_w&sig2=ENOgtyMPx0q2ZkjVUlo-WQ

Or this.
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fuk.answers.yahoo.com%2Fquestion%2 Findex%3Fqid%3D20061013010444AAVoAY8&ei=a9A6UdzGFoPSqQHZ8YHIDQ&usg=AFQjCNG7K280wDSXjjiPitbJpqfOCUnvbw&sig2=2JIFoIv7qx8z6unoPGK56A

No offence meant to ANY of the guys who stepped up and gave part of their day.

OneGirlWolfPack
03-09-2013, 10:09 AM
No worries Dac. They suffered this fool gladly. Emphasis on the word 'suffer'. Haha!

Thank you Mudbug!! :)

mudbug
03-09-2013, 11:18 AM
No worries Dac. They suffered this fool gladly. Emphasis on the word 'suffer'. Haha!

Thank you Mudbug!! :)

Your welcome :) Fishing is one of those sports where just getting out with friends and having a good day is more important than any amount of fish that are caught or not caught which is often the case for me ;)
The old saying a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work has a lot of truth to it :)
I hope you get a chance to get out ice fishing a few more times before the season is done :sHa_shakeshout:

Dave :)

New Hunter Okotoks
03-09-2013, 09:18 PM
It was an interesting day that's for sure!!! Haha!

We made certain to be on our best behaviour in front of a Lady and kept everything PC.

I'm glad we were able to show you a few things about ice fishing.... camera work, different baits, tip ups, jigging techniques and most importantly, why it is important to bring a recovery strap along with you when driving!! Lol!!

Glad you enjoyed yourself and you were no bother BTW as was suggested.

Jack&7
03-09-2013, 09:23 PM
We didn't have to suffer anybody...she did just fine. I am glad you had fun, Glenda...it was our pleasure.

Is was a fun day but as I said to Tacklerunner, it was the crappiest day of fishing for me personally this year. And the fish we did see and catch were the smallest I've seen all year.

But TR seemed to have no trouble as he had the magic hole.

And as I told OneGirl...any bad day fishing is still waaaaaay better than a good day working! We'll do it again next year...and hopefully next time, we won't run into another one of those little males that were so blind!

I swear, that one little bugger missed my jig 6 times!

Jack&7
03-09-2013, 09:28 PM
We made certain to be on our best behaviour in front of a Lady and kept everything PC.

You sure about that? :bad_boys_20:

New Hunter Okotoks
03-09-2013, 09:33 PM
You sure about that? :bad_boys_20:

Just imagine if I didn't have the filter set at medium! LOL!!

Just so everyone knows because sometimes expressions are hard to get across online. OGWP can obviously hang with the boys and I was being completely sarcastic about being on best behaviour. She can tell a "Poking around the corner" joke as well as any man! (Inside joke)

OneGirlWolfPack
03-09-2013, 11:30 PM
We didn't have to suffer anybody...she did just fine. I am glad you had fun, Glenda...it was our pleasure.

Is was a fun day but as I said to Tacklerunner, it was the crappiest day of fishing for me personally this year. And the fish we did see and catch were the smallest I've seen all year.

But TR seemed to have no trouble as he had the magic hole.

And as I told OneGirl...any bad day fishing is still waaaaaay better than a good day working! We'll do it again next year...and hopefully next time, we won't run into another one of those little males that were so blind!

I swear, that one little bugger missed my jig 6 times!

I still believe the bad luck was me. lol! That little fish was awesome! The first few times he missed the jig was hysterical but after the sixth time I just felt bad for him. :p It was like watching the Oilers trying to score a goal. OHHH! hahaha! Just kidding.

OneGirlWolfPack
03-09-2013, 11:46 PM
Just imagine if I didn't have the filter set at medium! LOL!!

Just so everyone knows because sometimes expressions are hard to get across online. OGWP can obviously hang with the boys and I was being completely sarcastic about being on best behaviour. She can tell a "Poking around the corner" joke as well as any man! (Inside joke)

Lmao! "Okay I'm coming up the stairs now." :D I haven't laughed so much in ages. Two words: Dance video. Hahah!

Steven Noel
03-10-2013, 01:09 AM
Solid trip report, thanks for sharing it with us. With a great attitude like the one your displaying you'll be on the fish before long.

Geezle
03-10-2013, 08:02 AM
Awesome to see you managed to get yourself out ice fishing, and it looks like with some good people too! Keep at it and it'll only get better! :sHa_shakeshout:

Chewie66
03-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Great report OGWP! It gave me a good laugh and helped ease my hangover this morning. I think it's great that even though you didn't catch anything you still had fun and are looking forward to your next trip. A lot of people get discouraged when they don't catch anything and it turns them off from the sport, but even the best fishermen (or fisherwomen) gets skunked now and again. To me that's what I love about fishing, you never really know what's gonna happen.

OneGirlWolfPack
03-10-2013, 11:34 PM
Thank you so much for the encouragement you guys! I really do appreciate it. :)

Chewie, glad I could make you laugh. :p Not going to lie there have been several times I've almost quit fishing but I know it just takes time to figure everything out. Going with others helped me a ton and was way more fun than learning on my own. Going to have to force people to let me tag along more often. :D

Okotokian
03-11-2013, 08:54 AM
3) When choosing clothing to wear, don't wear a coat that dwarfs your body and causes you to wipeout in front of people taking pictures.
http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u396/1girlwolfpack/Snapbucket/F9D50FE7_zps6b45eaf6.jpg

It's not the coat causing the problem, it's the high heels. ;)

Don't have any advice for you as I've never ice-fished. Sitting with a bunch of guys in a tiny tent staring at a hole in the ice is a bit down on my bucket list. But you managed to make it sound more fun than it out to be. :)