PDA

View Full Version : Fishing for Browns

Zaden
03-10-2013, 08:39 PM
Hey everyone went out to beauvais this weekend and caught a ton of rainbows. Interested in targeting just browns but have never fished for them before. Anyone have suggestions of what they like to use or time of day or depth of water they seem to have the best luck in. Any tips appreciated!

MtnGiant
03-10-2013, 08:48 PM
Are you talking fly's or spoons or jigs or spinners or etc...????
Generally speaking....browns like a duller colour than rainbows.
Match the fishes skin colour with your bait offering.....generally speaking.
A trout is a trout is a trout.......

BeeGuy
03-10-2013, 08:55 PM
right as it's getting dark

Zaden
03-10-2013, 08:58 PM
``Match the fishes skin colour with your bait offering.....generally speaking.``
Interesting rule of thumb! Thanks for that.

BeeGuy
03-10-2013, 09:16 PM
Are you talking fly's or spoons or jigs or spinners or etc...????
Generally speaking....browns like a duller colour than rainbows.
Match the fishes skin colour with your bait offering.....generally speaking.
A trout is a trout is a trout.......

ever catch a brown through the ice?

Zaden
03-10-2013, 09:21 PM
I heard some guys like using swedish pimple tipped with some shrimp so thats what I was trying. Fished from morning till sundown and only caught suckers. Smaller rainbows would pick away at it aswell.

BeeGuy
03-10-2013, 09:24 PM
Use a 3 inch white mister twister with a 1.5 inch long stinger

tip with smelt

jig it on a drop-off before first light or at sundown until dark.

profit

70chevy
03-10-2013, 09:26 PM
worms work well there in the summer for browns

dustybear
04-14-2013, 05:37 PM
browny i pulled out of there on saturday morning

Guitarplayingfish
04-14-2013, 05:41 PM
browny i pulled out of there on saturday morning

That must have been you I saw when I was there. Heard some chatter about a big brown on the other side of the lake. Nice fish!

I was one of the two guys fly fishing from shore.

dustybear
04-14-2013, 05:54 PM
yup that must have been me haha that fish was 24'' long and just over 6pounds not to bad my biggest brown yet

gundawg
04-14-2013, 07:03 PM
yup that must have been me haha that fish was 24'' long and just over 6pounds not to bad my biggest brown yet

Nice fish! That was a nice day to be out, not much wind too.

Did you by chance have a skunk come and bother you during the day? Myself and Guitarplayingfish had one sneak up behind us haha

338Bluff
04-14-2013, 10:12 PM
That place must be a popular spot with skunks. Seen a lot around the day use area campground over the years.

Not really sure what you could do different for browns. I usually use #6 muddlers on a sink tip line and strip it fast along a drop or weedline. Leech patterns will produce as well.

I'm not sure about Beauvais in particular, but most of our lakes seem to have a 5:1 ratio of browns and bows. An observation....not necessarily a fact.