PDA

View Full Version : threatened by lynx, stalked by owl, mocked by sized limits...

wildman
03-11-2013, 10:24 AM
well, an interesting day on saturday to say the least...
started on a small northern lake for perch.
at the turn off saw a lynx step out of the tree line!!
first one i have ever seen in the wild!!
it was the size of a medium german shepard and real thick and fluffy.
i slowed the truck down and tried to find the camera
instantly the big cat's ears folded back, he looked right at me, gave an eerie, gutteral growl, and jumped back in the trees!!!
gave me the willies!!! big kitty!!!!
spent a few hrs at the 1st lake, got a couple of nice 13-14" perch (thanks to board members for the tips on this lake, i'll be thanking you in a pm) but really really slow and lots of under 63cm pike.
with better perch in mind i headed for lac la biche as i heard good reports from there.
spent a few hrs on lac la biche. got stuck in some flood water and slush, found some wee perch caught a bunch of 4-7"ers, had a tipup go off, caught and released a nice 70cm pike. back she went. also released a small walleye. zero limit.
decided to do one more move and bombed over to calling for the sunset bite.
set up in 8-10' and instantly caught a released an undersized pike.
a few minutes later caught a heavy fish!!!
after a good fight hauled up a BIG walleye! thinking it was too big, put a tape on er...61cm....back she went...
ended up releasing 1 more pike near the 60 cm mark and 1 more wallie at 40cm.
gave up the ghost, went to pack up. as i got to the truck i saw something large move in the trees....noticed a really big owl!!!
perched 20 yards from us. just watching. kinda got the feeling we were being sized up....he was still there as we drove off.
all in all a very fun day. caught lots of fish that were too small, too big, or zero limited.
still lots of ice and no rot around shore. time for a few more attempts this season!!!
cheers, gw

keep6matt
03-11-2013, 10:41 AM
That seemed like one big day of fun filled adventure!! Cool read and wish you would have got a chance of a photo of that lynx....yesterday was the sh*ts at Long Lake....ended doing more shoveling than fishing trying to get my buddy`s SUV outta the crazy ice/snow conditions on the lake and the fishing was terrible, lots of wee perch and hammer handle pike. I think one more outing next weekend and time to pack away the winter gear. Have a gooder!

wildman
03-11-2013, 01:22 PM
hey thx matt.
a buddy was at north buck yesterday and they had a slow day too....
lots of that going around this weekend....
moon phase? barometric pressure?? who knows....
just makes the good days even better when they happen!!!!