PDA

View Full Version : North Sask. River?

SteveY6
04-13-2007, 05:52 PM
Anyone fish it lately, i would love to hear some reports.

Ill be trying real soon, May is showtime for me. I have the best luck at that time.

Still might be a bit murky.

Thanks

SteveY

FisherPotch
04-13-2007, 08:09 PM
I've been keeping my eye on the conditions. I've gone out twice. No luck thus far but i didn't put very much effort in. Water is murky but i've seen it a lot more turbid before. Still ice floating so u gota keep an eye on your line. Also there is ice on the shore in most places ive seen so one has to be a little careful about where you chose to fish. But it was very nice out today and the ice should be gone soon. It realy depends on where u fish.

Dewie
04-13-2007, 11:43 PM
Iam heading out tomorrow in the boat. Fill you all in the second I get back.

FisherPotch
04-14-2007, 01:38 AM
Also going out 2mro. But I'm stuck to the shore. Wont have alot of time because im on nights but i'll be sure to post too. Good luck 2mro Dewie, where are u launching and what are the conditions like in your region?

FisherPotch
04-14-2007, 07:15 PM
Didn't make it out today, slept in. Damn night shifts. Will post 2moro.

Dewie
04-14-2007, 10:03 PM
Put in at Devon today. very nice in morning, went up stream made it about 10km before we couldn't go any further due to ice jam. Went down stream about 15km couldn't go any farther due to ice jam. fished the middle caught a few pike. Biggest about 5lbs tops. Got really warm had trouble getting back to boat launch due to all the ICE BURGS flotting down. But all in all very nice day had fun in the boat, more fun dodging ice burgs, and caught some fish.

And to think that I could have gave all that up to go to work.

SteveY6
04-16-2007, 05:16 PM
Is hermitage fishable?

bigbore
04-16-2007, 05:38 PM
the other side under the beverly bridge is fishable. People catching suckers behind the west bound side pillars

SteveY6
04-16-2007, 07:24 PM
naw bigbore ill just catch all the walleyes in the area just like the confluence :D

bigbore
04-17-2007, 05:37 AM
actually, while driving over the beverly bridge yesterday on the way to work i looked over the side and there is a crapload of ice chunks all over the area.amazing what a day does. good luck to anyone using a baitrig:p

SteveY6
04-19-2007, 10:56 PM
still havent made it out yet, school starts soon eekkk

any reports or who is brave enough to fish in this sleet

FisherPotch
04-20-2007, 12:13 PM
Got out on wed but was unable to post. Went to the usuall spot not knowing what to expect. Normaly we catch walleye in this spot with the odd pike. Goldeye often too. But i typicaly dont fish when the river is this turbid simply cause i've had little luck with the murky water (a few sauger thats it). I imagine the wallys are close to tribs n such being so close to spawn time. Does any one know if the walleye would have spawned yet? We decided to get the weight out and sit on bottom with hopes of catching sum suckers or nething willing to sniff out our bait. Caught burbot, burbot n more burbot. No size to em tho. First time catching burbot on the NSR.

bearbait
04-20-2007, 10:27 PM
when i lived in the highland center always fished dawson park...nice hole there..thats where i caught my biggest fish...
64 # 8 ounce stergon!!

gonefishin
04-21-2007, 03:49 PM
went out this morning, but only caught burbot.

FisherPotch
04-21-2007, 05:06 PM
Any size to the burbot? On wednesday we caught many but all very small. 15 mayb 17 inches tops. If u dont mind me asking where abouts on the river were u? We fished just upstream of Fort Sask. Does any one know why the burbot seem like the aggressors out there? I imagine the water is still murky. Was there any floating ice?

gonefishin
04-21-2007, 05:17 PM
We were out by the Fort as well and the burbot were about the same size as yours. Yes the water was very murky, visability was only a couple inches and as for the ice, there wasn't much in the morning, but by about noon there was tons floating by.

FisherPotch
04-24-2007, 05:56 PM
More burbots last night. They were still bite'n when we left at 11:00 pm. Better size, 3 over 20 but no monsters. Still very murky. Just been targeting the bottom feeders. Not much ice floating by any more.

FatBuck
04-25-2007, 10:31 AM
I have always wanted to catch a burbot and never had any luck. I go fishing in the NSR in Edmonton. I usually get up early in the morning and fish from around 6:00am to 7:30am. I fish on the west bank between 140th Ave NW and 130th Ave NW. But I never have any luck. A friend told me to try a pickerel rig, and I think I will. What do you guys suggest? Perhaps I'm just not going at a good time of day.

gonefishin
04-25-2007, 07:10 PM
I fish any time of the day. When the water is as murkey as it is, you need something with a lot of flash, noise or stink. If the fish were active I would suggest a brightly colored jig with a blade tipped with a minnow. If you just want to catch a burbot, a pickerel rig with minnows will work just fine. During the summer when the water is a little more clear, I use a Lindy Rig with a floating jig head of sorts, tipped with either a leech or a minnow.

FisherPotch
04-30-2007, 12:04 PM
All we've been doing is using sinkers to hold on bottom. Bright or glowing jigs with whatever type of stink u have available. Minnows n worms have been working best for me. As soon as the water clears up I intend to try some different techniques but at this point stink on bottom has been the only effective method for me. Good Luck!

FatBuck
05-01-2007, 08:34 AM
I tried a pickerel rig this morning. I had a large weight on the end, the hook closest to the end had just a snelled hook will a minnow, the second hook from the end had a bight yellow plastic worm with a real worm on the hook.

I still caught nothing. Not even a bite. I was out there for a good hour.

I am suspect that it may not be a good location. I think the water may be shallow where I was. There was a lot of rock bed just upstream from me, and a lot of sand bed where I was casting. Usually in mid summer I can walk down out into the rocks and cast from there, but right now the water is too high.

I want to catch a burbot. What kind of location should I be looking for?

- skunked

gonefishin
05-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Look for slow-flowing water. Places where a smaller river or creek enter the river will produce calm back water areas, the mouth of the Sturgeon River near Fort Sask. is a good area. Also, large bends in the river tend to produce eddies or slightly calmer areas on the inside of these bends, behind Telus Field is another decent area.

bearbait
05-01-2007, 12:48 PM
try dawson park downtown across from river side golf couse...
great spot with a deep hole in the corner..
try the same rig cast as far as u can and let it drift to the hole!!

FisherPotch
05-01-2007, 05:16 PM
I've had my luck in slow moving water, from an eddy. It's a pretty deep hole too. There is a lot of debris around and i've been losing more tackle than normal, but that only means there is lots of structure. I havnt been using a rig. I've been attaching a sinker to the top of my leader and letting the jig do its thing. I imagine the jig (baited with worms or minnows or both) is bouncing off the bottom in the current a little bit but for the most part i've been right on bottom.

SteveY6
05-02-2007, 10:56 PM
fished the river this past weekend.

Too high and murky.

Should be good in a couple weeks.

No bites, nothing.

SteveY

FisherPotch
05-03-2007, 07:39 PM
Went out for an hour this afternoon. Surface water seems to be clearing up. I can actually see a couple inches in. But i don't expect it to last long. Had no luck not even a bite. But i did see fish rising, not certain what species though.