PDA

View Full Version : 3/4 and 1 ton fuel economy - what to expect

big zeke
03-11-2013, 08:48 PM
I'm debating replacing my 01 Cummins, the truck is near perfect, has 95,000 kms but the quad cab will soon not fit my kids. As I don't use it much other than towing I'm not sure I can justify another diesel but I have no clue what to expect from a gas job. I'd likely buy 1-2 yrs old but could also go current year depending on the deal. I definately want a 4X4 with crew cab (4 forward opening doors), and it needs to be able to capably pull about 9000 lbs of a 5th wheel trailer (1500# on the hitch).

Can anyone volunteer their typical fuel economy and anything to watch out for in the newer models. I dearly love my 6 speed but that too may have to bite the bullet in the replacement.

Thanks in advance for all input
Zeke

Cal
03-11-2013, 08:52 PM
My chev 1 ton with a 6 liter can get 700+ kms to tank on the highway. City driving or towing about 500 if I'm lucky. My Ford 1 ton that I drive for work with a 6.2 rarely gets much better than 500 km to a tank under any circomstances. We have three of them and they all get about the same milage. The Ford has a number of good features that I wish my Chev had but its computer system seems to castorate its performance horribly and IMO the total package is somehow a POS.

Janaives
03-11-2013, 08:54 PM
Is your 01 for sale

Bennettcw
03-11-2013, 08:55 PM
2011 dodge 3500 crew cab

I get around 900k empty on the highway, 500-600 with trailer, 600 in the city. Truck is stock.

Bennett

coolpete1
03-11-2013, 08:57 PM
had a 2010 hemi 3/4 ton ,about 20 liters per hundred ,11mpg, in town .way better on the highway .put the trailer on and its about 8 to 10 mpg..
traded it on a 3500 dodge diesel ,i love that 6.7l engine.

a little redneck
03-11-2013, 09:14 PM
If you get a gas seriously consider the f150 with the ecotech.... v6 with turbo. Other than that the chev and gmc trucks get the best mileage for a gasser. Compared to your 5.9 diesel you're gonna wish you had it.... good mileage and decent power. I know of a few people with the ecotech and they're happy with them.

big zeke
03-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Hey Bennett and Pete...

If I'm not mistaken, the 3500s all come with the 6.7 diesel (correct me if I'm wrong here) while it's a sweet powerplant I'm turned off by the DEF in the 2013s and the weak front ends in Dodges; their sketchy automatics make me even more shy. It seems you can't get jack for less than $55k and with the amount I'd use it, it would be a waste (even if they didn't have the problems). Make no mistake folks, I appreciate the input but I'm looking for fuel economy of gas powered 3/4 and 1 tons...fuel economy in single digits make my knees weak.

The old beast is not for sale yet...at least until I figure out what my next move is. The thing is in fabulous shape and I hate to give her up.

Zeke

big zeke
03-11-2013, 09:21 PM
If you get a gas seriously consider the f150 with the ecotech.... v6 with turbo. Other than that the chev and gmc trucks get the best mileage for a gasser. Compared to your 5.9 diesel you're gonna wish you had it.... good mileage and decent power. I know of a few people with the ecotech and they're happy with them.

Would the F150 be able to pull my trailer in the mountains? Even if it had enough power, stuff like suspension and steering might be a concern. The last thing I need is some clever cop (in BC) developing writers cramp as he finds everything wrong with the rig.

RatFink
03-11-2013, 09:33 PM
DEF is unavoidable in all modern diesels - unless you get a Dodge that is pre-2013... I believe this last gen of HD rams were 2010-2012.

If you are still sketched out by their trannies (I have honestly never heard of a stock one blowing a tranny and my dad works at a Chrysler dealership), you might take a look at the new 3500 HDs that are coming out next year with the new Aisin 6 speeds that are unique to that model - with 850lb/ft.

Last spring I pulled the U of C Solar Car trailer around the province in a 3/4 ton GMC Sierra crew cab short box with their 6.0L gas engine in it and it was GARBAGE. That trailer is pretty big, but not that heavy and it was the perfect dictionary definition of gutless. Merging anywhere required full throttle and near 6,000 rpm shifts, and passing was basically done on a wing and a prayer. Thankfully we were cruising at 40-50km/h most of the time (due to the solar car convoy), but when we actually towing the car from place to place (it only weighs 300lbs so it didn't really add anything to the trailer) and I could do highway speeds, I just settled back to cruising at 100km/h and no more, while attempting at every possible opportunity to hyper-mile by forcing it to use 6th gear on flat or downhills instead of just 5th due to trailer mode (it would spin over 3,200 rpm at that speed in 5th).

By the end of the 2000km road trip, it averaged 29.5L/100km - or 9.5 imperial MPG. Two years ago when they had a 3/4 ton Ram with a cummins, I checked their fuel logs and they did 20L/100km - or 14 imperial MPG, and their drivers were crazy and flatfooted that truck everywhere.

More food for thought, my brother towed his race car and trailer (easily close to 4,000lbs) to Spokane last summer with his Ram 1500 and did 23L/100km or 12.2 imperial MPG through the mountains! Empty, he gets around 12L/100km or 23.5 imperial MPG from Fort Mac to Calgary.

Whether this tells you anything or not, I just thought I'd share my experience with fuel economy and pickup trucks.

Hey Bennett and Pete...

If I'm not mistaken, the 3500s all come with the 6.7 diesel (correct me if I'm wrong here) while it's a sweet powerplant I'm turned off by the DEF in the 2013s and the weak front ends in Dodges; their sketchy automatics make me even more shy. It seems you can't get jack for less than $55k and with the amount I'd use it, it would be a waste (even if they didn't have the problems). Make no mistake folks, I appreciate the input but I'm looking for fuel economy of gas powered 3/4 and 1 tons...fuel economy in single digits make my knees weak.

The old beast is not for sale yet...at least until I figure out what my next move is. The thing is in fabulous shape and I hate to give her up.

Zeke

Cal
03-11-2013, 09:35 PM
Hey Bennett and Pete...

Zeke

The reason I'm running a Ford for work is because I cant get a Dodge 1 ton with a gas engine in it. I might try a Chev next time despite the more troublesome front end. I realy, REALY hate the current Ford I have. I could tell you all about the particulars of what I hate if you like.

Ken07AOVette
03-11-2013, 09:35 PM
My chev 1 ton with a 6 liter can get 700+ kms to tank on the highway. City driving or towing about 500 if I'm lucky. My Ford 1 ton that I drive for work with a 6.2 rarely gets much better than 500 km to a tank under any circomstances. We have three of them and they all get about the same milage. The Ford has a number of good features that I wish my Chev had but its computer system seems to castorate its performance horribly and IMO the total package is somehow a POS.

How many liters to fill? 130?

2011 dodge 3500 crew cab

I get around 900k empty on the highway, 500-600 with trailer, 600 in the city. Truck is stock.

Bennett

Same question.

Cal
03-11-2013, 09:40 PM
How many liters to fill? 130?

Same question.

Ya, 130 for both vehicals.

ATF
03-11-2013, 09:42 PM
2012 f350 crewcab shortbox with 3.73's I only have 3500km on it but so far it's 19.5l/100km in town and 16.5 on the hwy running empty averaging 120kph.

Cal
03-11-2013, 09:45 PM
2012 f350 crewcab shortbox with 3.73's I only have 3500km on it but so far it's 19.5l/100km in town and 16.5 on the hwy running empty averaging 120kph.

Have 3 trucks identical to this one at work and none of them get anywhere close to that milage.

bubba 96
03-11-2013, 09:53 PM
DEF is unavoidable in all modern diesels - unless you get a Dodge that is pre-2013... I believe this last gen of HD rams were 2010-2012.

If you are still sketched out by their trannies (I have honestly never heard of a stock one blowing a tranny and my dad works at a Chrysler dealership), you might take a look at the new 3500 HDs that are coming out next year with the new Aisin 6 speeds that are unique to that model - with 850lb/ft.

Last spring I pulled the U of C Solar Car trailer around the province in a 3/4 ton GMC Sierra crew cab short box with their 6.0L gas engine in it and it was GARBAGE. That trailer is pretty big, but not that heavy and it was the perfect dictionary definition of gutless. Merging anywhere required full throttle and near 6,000 rpm shifts, and passing was basically done on a wing and a prayer. Thankfully we were cruising at 40-50km/h most of the time (due to the solar car convoy), but when we actually towing the car from place to place (it only weighs 300lbs so it didn't really add anything to the trailer) and I could do highway speeds, I just settled back to cruising at 100km/h and no more, while attempting at every possible opportunity to hyper-mile by forcing it to use 6th gear on flat or downhills instead of just 5th due to trailer mode (it would spin over 3,200 rpm at that speed in 5th).

By the end of the 2000km road trip, it averaged 29.5L/100km - or 9.5 imperial MPG. Two years ago when they had a 3/4 ton Ram with a cummins, I checked their fuel logs and they did 20L/100km - or 14 imperial MPG, and their drivers were crazy and flatfooted that truck everywhere.

More food for thought, my brother towed his race car and trailer (easily close to 4,000lbs) to Spokane last summer with his Ram 1500 and did 23L/100km or 12.2 imperial MPG through the mountains!

Whether this tells you anything or not, I just thought I'd share my experience with fuel economy and pickup trucks.

X2with the crappy 6 liter in the chev, I had a 3/4 ton with the 90 l tank, and Id have to fill in strathmore on the way home from Newell to airdrie, towing a 27 ft 5th wheel, 7500 lbs..and same with tranny thought it was gonna blow up tryin to get to speed limit..thus the 1ton ford diesel....

Ken07AOVette
03-11-2013, 09:57 PM
2012 f350 SRW crew cab 4x4 lariat 6.7 diesel sitting at 13.4l/100 km winter empty highway. I don't speed. Lifetime average since oil change is 13.9 including idling, etc.

Little better in city. Waaay better at 80 kph, love paved back roads :)

I am a fuel saver though. My garage is heated, warmup is start, drive slow through town until a mile out, once past the stop sign highway speed. I coast to stop signs, corners and red lights, accelerate slowly without granny driving. In shor I am not a to the floor gas brake driver. I dont idle while waiting for the wife, it's warm when I let her out, warm when she gets back in or shortly after.

I am eagerly awaiting summer to see what this truck will do for mileage, and after break in. I have 10,500 km.

If you don't believe me, ask Leaspell he has the same truck.

Edit- crappy part is fuel tank is only 85 liters. I get ~719-750km per fill, and want a bigger tank.

Cal
03-11-2013, 10:04 PM
X2with the crappy 6 liter in the chev, I had a 3/4 ton with the 90 l tank, and Id have to fill in strathmore on the way home from Newell to airdrie, towing a 27 ft 5th wheel, 7500 lbs..and same with tranny thought it was gonna blow up tryin to get to speed limit..thus the 1ton ford diesel....

A good portion of these problems from what I've seen is in the tranny. To create the illusion of more power the 5 and 6 speed trannys like to downshift, quite often to the point where they have completely bypassed the sweet spot in the powerband. My neighbour had one for awhile and it towed like crap. Mine just has a plain jane 4 speed and 4:10 gears and it will run in OD most of the time while towing. With a little carefull driving I never need to hit the kinds of RPMs that I hear alot of guys talking about.

RatFink
03-11-2013, 10:06 PM
A good portion of these problems from what I've seen is in the tranny. To create the illusion of more power the 5 and 6 speed trannys like to downshift, quite often to the point where they have completely bypassed the sweet spot in the powerband. My neighbour had one for awhile and it towed like crap. Mine just has a plain jane 4 speed and 4:10 gears and it will run in OD most of the time while towing.

I'd agree with that. I kept that GMC in manual shift mode as much as I could so it didn't do any idiot downshifts on me that resulted in an immediate upshift back into the gear it should have been in.

Cal
03-11-2013, 10:17 PM
I'd agree with that. I kept that GMC in manual shift mode as much as I could so it didn't do any idiot downshifts on me that resulted in an immediate upshift back into the gear it should have been in.

My ford does that, step on the gas and nothing happens as it thinks for about a second or two, it then inveriably screams up to redline where it doesnt seem to actualy have any power. Eventualy I coax it back down to a reasonable RPM and it gets some power, nowhere near the power one would expect from the advertised numbers.

A realy fun fact is that the delayed throttle response happens when you come off of hard acceleration too... For instance your getting pulled into a big nasty hole by some ruts so you step on the gas totry and pop out of them, nothing happens. Eventualy the motor decides to do what its supposed to and chews out of the ruts, so you take your foot off the gas and hold on like hell as the thing drives itself into the weeds. Of course popping out of the ruts at all depends on whether you rememberd to take it out of the overenthusiastic traction controll default mode, otherwise between the traction controll and the ABS you may as well just let go of the wheel and start dialing your buddy to come pull you out of the hole. Just one of the things that I realy, REALY hate about my Ford.

coolpete1
03-11-2013, 10:33 PM
Hey Bennett and Pete...

Zeke

front end bugs were fixed a couple years ago, and the trannys are bulletproof, 2012's don't use urea ,we just got the first urea 13's in last week. 2013 hemi's are so far alot better on fuel ,1/2 tons getting about 650km a tank (90L tank).3/4 tons are probably a little better than the 2010 hemi 3/4 ton i had but not much .chevs are good on fuel with a 5.3 ,6.0 liter is worse than a hemi and chevs are gutless.i know nothing of the ford ecoboost but ford usually suck to work on. i work at the dodge dealer and as a mechanic.

leeaspell
03-11-2013, 10:45 PM
2012 f350 SRW crew cab 4x4 lariat 6.7 diesel sitting at 13.4l/100 km winter empty highway. I don't speed. Lifetime average since oil change is 13.9 including idling, etc.

Little better in city. Waaay better at 80 kph, love paved back roads :)

I am a fuel saver though. My garage is heated, warmup is start, drive slow through town until a mile out, once past the stop sign highway speed. I coast to stop signs, corners and red lights, accelerate slowly without granny driving. In shor I am not a to the floor gas brake driver. I dont idle while waiting for the wife, it's warm when I let her out, warm when she gets back in or shortly after.

I am eagerly awaiting summer to see what this truck will do for mileage, and after break in. I have 10,500 km.

If you don't believe me, ask Leaspell he has the same truck.

Edit- crappy part is fuel tank is only 85 liters. I get ~719-750km per fill, and want a bigger tank.

I agree. I'm averaging a little over 14l/ 100km, that's highway, back roads north of swan hills and an hour or 2 of idle everyday. Average highway speed 110km/h. When i fill up the computer reads 999km to empty, it starts to come down once I reach swan hills, so 75 km of pretty much up hill driving. But i got the 139L tank as well
I'll give a comparison of the Ford diesel vs my last 3/4 ton hemi with same size tank. I can make 3 round trips to work, 950 km +/- and back with the Ford and still be between 1/4 and empty, roughly 100L. The hemi doing one round trip would burn over half a tank, roughly 75L +/- a few.

B_Type13X2
03-12-2013, 02:04 AM
I agree. I'm averaging a little over 14l/ 100km, that's highway, back roads north of swan hills and an hour or 2 of idle everyday. Average highway speed 110km/h. When i fill up the computer reads 999km to empty, it starts to come down once I reach swan hills, so 75 km of pretty much up hill driving. But i got the 139L tank as well
I'll give a comparison of the Ford diesel vs my last 3/4 ton hemi with same size tank. I can make 3 round trips to work, 950 km +/- and back with the Ford and still be between 1/4 and empty, roughly 100L. The hemi doing one round trip would burn over half a tank, roughly 75L +/- a few.

Have this exact truck too, I am seeing around 14.9L in town and sometimes 12.4-13.8L. I posted my mileage from my truck computer in another thread. On some turn and burn days I'm over 15L then again thats what I get for driving stupid.

CanuckShooter
03-12-2013, 02:05 AM
95,000 on a good truck now...by the time it's broken in your kids will have moved out!! I'd keep what you have and take two vehicles (which you probably already own) so the kids can travel in comfort .:-) and save yourself thousands of dollars.

Dwils
03-12-2013, 08:51 AM
Like others have mentioned you will be hard pressed to find a better unit to tow than what you have now especially as far as mileage goes. I am (was!) a chevy guy but currently own a F-350 diesel.

If you must go gas I think the best option in the heavy duty trucks is the Hemi. Everything I have read or heard of it is a really stout motor (for a gas) and you will get reasonable mileage.

Now remember reasonable mileage towing with a gas motor is all realative. They will never get as good mileage as a diesel engine or have the power but you will typically pay 8-11k less for a similarily equipped gas truck over the diesel.
Some of the latest truck trend articles show the hemi outperforming the mighty eco boost both empty and towing while getting the same mileage the problem is with ford in the 3/4 or 1 tons you can only get the 6.2 V8.

The Chevy 6.0L is not a bad engine but does not, at least from the factory compare to the hemi. It will be interesting to see if gm puts the new direct injected 6.2L aluminum block into there new heavy duty trucks. That motor should be pretty sweet for a gas engine.

rhuntley12
03-12-2013, 09:02 AM
2012 3500 dualie, computer shows 20.6litres per 100km currently. That's driving with a heavy foot. With 4horse trailers with living quarters fully loaded the mileage changes just a little worse as I drive slow with trailer.
Love the truck, very nice to drive. We were worried about the tranny as it was pretty jerky but seems to have broken in around the 10k mark and is a nice ride now.

Boogerfart
03-12-2013, 09:13 AM
I have had a Chev 2500, a two Ford F250's, two Dodge 2500's, and now I drive a '03 Dodge 3500 Cummins w/ a five speed and I love it. I would keep the Dodge you have, nothing else is as reliable or fuel efficient. If you want more cab space try to find a '03 Dodge diesel as they were they last year made without aggressive pullution control but the first year for the common rail injection system. It's a unmatched combination of efficiency and power.

Redfrog
03-12-2013, 09:22 AM
I've got an older[1997] F350 crew 4X4 that I use for hunting/fishing.

It has a 460 auto and can be a thirsty bugger. I've thought about going to a older cummins diesel but other than a camper or a twice a year tow, the truck runs empty.

I have gotten as good as 12 mpg and as poorly as 7 mpg. It is a very low miler and I don't put a lot of miles on it. I can't see where doing a conversion will save me fuel to justify the cost of the conversion.

I'm spooked about a newer truck after reading all the horror stories on AO.

FishingFrenzy
03-12-2013, 09:32 AM
My dad has a 2013 duramax, 4 door, 4x4, full load, get averages 15-25mpg depending on city/highway/speed. All highway at 110 he's gotten 25mpg...

My bro has a 2002 duramax, 4 door, 4x4, full load, same thing. 15-25mpg

ItsInMyBlood
03-12-2013, 09:50 AM
Worrying about fuel economy in a truck is like worrying about gun powder in the bullets of a machine gun. If you need fuel economy buy a car!
That being said I face this question everyday in the car business.

I've seen clients with unloaded 6.7l cummins who have achieved 1067 Kms to a tank. Here to Vancouver, and impressive feat however he nearly ran out of fuel.

I would suggest concerning yourself with maintenance and ongoing consumables over fuel, ie oil changes, service, DEF if required, insurance.

That also being said insurance on a 1 ton is less than a 3/4 ton, I found this case 95 times out of a hundred.

Ken07AOVette
03-12-2013, 10:23 AM
I remember reading something just a little while ago, about Dodges getting incredible mileage. Apparently the injectors screw up or the pump, it throws weird codes to the computer and you run real lean, while getting great mileage and power. An engine job is coming up when this happens.

Bigdad013
03-12-2013, 10:59 AM
I have a line on a gas 2008 F350 xl super duty. Need it for pulling the boat. Any comments, fuel mileage, things to look for? Will be seeing it out in BC on the easter long weekend. Any idea on price for this unit, don't know the mileage on it yet.

wannabe
03-12-2013, 11:38 AM
Currently driving an 07 3500hd duramax. When I first got it was doing 20-23mpg. Had to take it to dealer to get the dpf shutdown reset on it.. Now I get 15-17 winter, 18-20 spring summer. I work in the oilfield and idol for hours a day. And I drive my truck hard. I can't fault the duramax. Another guy at work runs an 06 2500 chipped. 30mpg. To me a duramax is a no brainer. Just remove the dpf on the newer models and your laughing.

Cal
03-12-2013, 06:46 PM
I've got an older[1997] F350 crew 4X4 that I use for hunting/fishing.

It has a 460 auto and can be a thirsty bugger. I've thought about going to a older cummins diesel but other than a camper or a twice a year tow, the truck runs empty.

I have gotten as good as 12 mpg and as poorly as 7 mpg. It is a very low miler and I don't put a lot of miles on it. I can't see where doing a conversion will save me fuel to justify the cost of the conversion.

I'm spooked about a newer truck after reading all the horror stories on AO.

This is the voice of reason here. It takes an awfull lot of kilometers to cover the cost of a new truck in fuel savings. I see alot of people upgrade to diesels, buy half tons to use as daily drivers because their one tons are harder on fuel etc... the folly goes on and on.