PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know??

Tucker1
03-12-2013, 10:16 AM
Just wondering if anyone knows?? I'm looking to talk with someone about the possibility of stocking the southern Alberta res with some other type of fish...maybe salmon..or gerrard trout who knows ?? But not sure where to even start????

Gary K
03-12-2013, 10:17 AM
yah, that wont happen.

but SRD would be a good place to start.

Tucker1
03-12-2013, 10:21 AM
Oh figure it's a long shot but why not try?? Tired of nothing but small trout and having to go to bc

HuyFishin
03-12-2013, 10:43 AM
so sick of the 8 inch trout lakes and ponds here lol oooo well
thats life lol

McLeod
03-12-2013, 10:48 AM
Make it c and r..no bait and in a few years there will be big fish !

Tucker1
03-12-2013, 10:57 AM
I know it's a long shot but Montana stocked fort peck dam and have chinooks in it

The Fisherman Guy
03-12-2013, 11:03 AM
Alberta has a plentiful range of species to catch, outside of the 8 inch stocked Rainbow trout.

Northern Pike are caught 30+ pounds
Lake Trout to 40+
Burbot to 15+
Brown trout to 20+
Rainbow trout to 20+
Sturgeon to 100+

You just need to get off of your butt and explore, and try to catch some of these Alberta monsters!

Or, try something new. Have you ever caught Arctic Grayling on the fly?! How about Lake Whitefish on ultralight gear thru the ice?

The opportunities are ours to explore, introducing non-native species to the mix is a difficult subject. Doing so, primarily for sport fishing, isn't a good idea in the best interests of our native species of fish.

dodgeboy1979
03-12-2013, 11:15 AM
^ x2, what a mess the great lakes are with all the introduced species

Mutter87
03-12-2013, 11:18 AM
Alberta has a plentiful range of species to catch, outside of the 8 inch stocked Rainbow trout.

Northern Pike are caught 30+ pounds
Lake Trout to 40+
Burbot to 15+
Brown trout to 20+
Rainbow trout to 20+
Sturgeon to 100+

You just need to get off of your butt and explore, and try to catch some of these Alberta monsters!

Or, try something new. Have you ever caught Arctic Grayling on the fly?! How about Lake Whitefish on ultralight gear thru the ice?

The opportunities are ours to explore, introducing non-native species to the mix is a difficult subject. Doing so, primarily for sport fishing, isn't a good idea in the best interests of our native species of fish.

1 brown Trout, 1 rainbow trout, 1 Sturgeon and 1 burbot have reached those weights in this province. And when was the last time someone caught a 40lb Lake trout in this province?

To many catch and keep fishermen.

Tucker1
03-12-2013, 11:19 AM
Hmmm? Never new that I work with guys from the Great Lakes and all I hear is what a great fishery they have out of them not as good as bc but second?? And I know I can go out to pile lakes and catch some hogs but all I'm saying is the southwest res aren't very good for fishing and seen what Montana did and now they have people from as far a way as Arizona coming to fish for salmon

The Fisherman Guy
03-12-2013, 11:21 AM
Does that mean they don't exist in our waters?

What's your point Mutter?

EZM
03-12-2013, 11:22 AM
The introduction of any non native species goes against the "mandate and mission statement" of our SRD.

I'm not sure what the exact document is that outlines this, but I read it over a while ago. It was a crystal clear mandate and directive.

There are obviously two sides to this complex issue, both with some good arguments.

Mutter87
03-12-2013, 11:25 AM
What's your point Mutter?

What is your solution?

Do you have one?

Or just wine?

My point is your filling the guys head with fables.

My solution would be education of anglers.

As for Salmon, I don't think our Walleye and other smaller fish would fair to well with Salmon in the waters.

Tucker1
03-12-2013, 11:28 AM
Funny you say that as fort peck in Montana has the best walleye fishing in the state and hasn't been effected but I was reffer to the oldman dam or waterton dam as they don't have walleye in them and the trout are far and few everything moved out and went into the rivers

MoFugger21
03-12-2013, 11:30 AM
1 brown Trout, 1 rainbow trout, 1 Sturgeon and 1 burbot have reached those weights in this province. And when was the last time someone caught a 40lb Lake trout in this province?

Lol [facepalm.jpg]

Mutter87
03-12-2013, 11:32 AM
Funny you say that as fort peck in Montana has the best walleye fishing in the state and hasn't been effected but I was reffer to the oldman dam or waterton dam as they don't have walleye in them and the trout are far and few everything moved out and went into the rivers

Well, then I don't see what the problem would be, except for the potential for Salmon to get into our rivers. If that could be precented then it would be interesting to have a Salmon fisherie here.

Mutter87
03-12-2013, 11:33 AM
Lol [facepalm.jpg]

You don't agree?

Tucker1
03-12-2013, 11:41 AM
As far as salmon in the rivers I do believe they would be as they need the rivers to spawn in but they will only go in as far as they where born so in saying that I talked with a fish biologist and if you realesed them only a km up or two they would go to that spot and spawn and that's why the oldman would work as the rivers would help the fish to breed in fort peck they released the salmon at the docks and every year they rerun to spawn and fish and wildlife net them and milk them out to reproduce them as the rivers coming into fort peck don't have gravel so the salmon can't use them

pickrel pat
03-12-2013, 11:45 AM
Pretty sure southern albertas sloughs arnt the right climate for salmon to take hold. Lmao.

Tucker1
03-12-2013, 11:48 AM
Lol goggle fort peck in Montana you'd be surprised I know I was its four hours south of swift current

pickrel pat
03-12-2013, 11:49 AM
On a side note it would be a good idea to introduce hippos onto the alberta plains to take the hunting pressure off the native species. Im gonna write a letter to the srd.

TROLLER
03-12-2013, 11:52 AM

saw a guy land a 40 at Minnewonka last spring

pickrel pat
03-12-2013, 11:56 AM
saw a guy land a 40 at Minnewonka last spring

Plenty of 40s in lake athabasca as well.

The Fisherman Guy
03-12-2013, 12:17 PM
http://3.cdn.tapcdn.com/images/thumbs/taps/2013/03/tumblr_m9uv1jhg4a1rdx8rpo1_500-59532fc6-sz500x503-animate.png

The Fisherman Guy
03-12-2013, 12:18 PM
http://1.cdn.tapcdn.com/images/thumbs/taps/2013/02/tumblr_mhw1kzhbvv1rls87lo1_1280-b755d805-sz612x612-animate.jpg

The Fisherman Guy
03-12-2013, 12:19 PM
http://3.cdn.tapcdn.com/images/thumbs/taps/2013/02/tumblr_m07b1afob21r48x7io1_400-d3cf12a5-sz400x318-animate.jpg

The Fisherman Guy
03-12-2013, 12:20 PM
http://1.cdn.tapcdn.com/images/thumbs/taps/2013/02/tumblr_lga1jiamuj1qfa3hco1_1280-8ccce45b-sz850x509-animate.jpg

The Fisherman Guy
03-12-2013, 12:22 PM
There are many great fish in Alberta.
http://3.cdn.tapcdn.com/images/thumbs/taps/2013/02/tumblr_lp086pvifc1qksqkro1_500-ca280632-sz500x375-animate.jpg

dodgeboy1979
03-12-2013, 01:33 PM
awesome pics, and agree alot of great fishing opportunities in Alberta, just have to do some research and get out there.

EZM
03-12-2013, 01:47 PM
Bullsharks can live in fresh water.

They could control the overpopulation of trout, walleye and noisy kids.

Rob S
03-12-2013, 01:58 PM

Didnt WC catch it though? Oh ya, he released it :-)

pikergolf
03-12-2013, 02:05 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows?? I'm looking to talk with someone about the possibility of stocking the southern Alberta res with some other type of fish...maybe salmon..or gerrard trout who knows ?? But not sure where to even start????

You would need very cold water to start, not sure which southern res. would met that criteria. You say your tired of catching small trout, have you tried some of the special management lakes, or fished the res. for whites? May be we need more special management Waters?

JReed
03-12-2013, 02:14 PM

This picture is from this winter, not 40lb but close enough. Cold lake laker

kevinhits
03-12-2013, 02:22 PM
http://3.cdn.tapcdn.com/images/thumbs/taps/2013/02/tumblr_lp086pvifc1qksqkro1_500-ca280632-sz500x375-animate.jpg

Beauty pics:)

Great meeting you at the boys and girls club event:0)

AppleJax
03-12-2013, 02:28 PM

Mutters get off your computer and go fishing. Stop attacking other fishermen. You make problems on here all to often, and offer nothing but lame solutions.

Okotokian
03-12-2013, 02:45 PM
Oh figure it's a long shot but why not try?? Tired of nothing but small trout and having to go to bc

There's more than small trout in the reservoirs down here. Don't confuse your own fishing competence with a lack of fish species. ;) :scared0018:

LOL Sorry, cheap shot on my part. joking. But there are more than small trout. :)

huntsfurfish
03-12-2013, 03:02 PM
Sorry boys, no new species in Alberta waters.

The waters you talk about Oldman in particular have cuts and bulls. No way would they introduce a species that would put them in jeopardy.

Aint gonna happen no matter how bad you want it.:snapoutofit:

You want to fish those species, you are going to have to go to them cuz they sure aint comin to U.:)

BootScoot
03-12-2013, 04:46 PM
^ x2, what a mess the great lakes are with all the introduced species

The Great Lakes are a mess? News to me....those poor, poor people that have to live near and fish the Great Lakes.

Badflies
03-12-2013, 05:03 PM
I am not trying to be rude, but I live in southern Alberta and generally those small stocked ponds are left to the children. I admittedly do not catch any 40 lb fish but a few break 20 each year. It sounds like you need to explore more, there are plenty of fishing opportunities without a private fish tank full of 40 lb salmon... Tight lines my friends

fish gunner
03-12-2013, 05:41 PM
South central AB has many opportunities to chase trophy class fish . Catching them is a different matter .
Often the methods used are unconventional , who chases pike with down riggers. Hunting Lakers with boards. Throwing roe for large browns . These methods work in other areas yet I don't see or hear any one using methods that break the mold.
Trophy hunting is not the realm of the casual angler, sitting on a skunk for a season because you not there to catch fish you are there to catch that fish .
Some areas Have many trophy waters , these waters exist in AB perhaps not in the abundance of other provinces. If I suggested the largest pike I have laid eyes on swims sylvan you may scoff, my pb is 32 lb and the esox I witnessed at sylvan I suggest dwarfed my best .
So if you wish for giants expect hardship, long fishless days , ridicule and the greatest satisfaction if ... one day that touch on the rod tip exceeds you greatest expectation.:) chasing fish or chasing PB's you chose.:sHa_shakeshout:

Tucker1
03-12-2013, 06:31 PM
Lol all I'm saying is it would be nice to use the dams down here other than water skiing and yes I know Alberta has some trophy fish and the dams I'm talking about are cold enough not talking about east but west and I know if it did ever happen which it wouldn't but if it did all of you that are so against would stay away and catch your trophy trout up 15 pounds when you could travel two hours and hook into 40 pound salmon lol and for the cuts I know that wouldn't happen because off that ...and I have seen be fish here 30 plus pike out of keho ...one avenue I haven't tried that I will be this summer is waterton heard there's big lakers there ...this was not to insult anyone was just curious as I seem they did it in Montana...

Tucker1
03-12-2013, 06:32 PM
Just wondering isn't brown trout a fish brought in lmao

Mutter87
03-12-2013, 06:36 PM

npauls
03-12-2013, 07:21 PM
There is tons of big fish lurking around Southern Alberta waters.

It is a matter of getting out and putting the time in to figure out what they want and at what times of day and year they are wanting to eat most.

If you think you are going to roll into Waterton and hammer big fish you are going to be very disappointed.

There is some decent sized lakers in there but catching them is very difficult.

fish gunner
03-12-2013, 07:22 PM
Lol all I'm saying is it would be nice to use the dams down here other than water skiing and yes I know Alberta has some trophy fish and the dams I'm talking about are cold enough not talking about east but west and I know if it did ever happen which it wouldn't but if it did all of you that are so against would stay away and catch your trophy trout up 15 pounds when you could travel two hours and hook into 40 pound salmon lol and for the cuts I know that wouldn't happen because off that ...and I have seen be fish here 30 plus pike out of keho ...one avenue I haven't tried that I will be this summer is waterton heard there's big lakers there ...this was not to insult anyone was just curious as I seem they did it in Montana...

How certain are you the water you speak of does not contain true trophies? big rmw, perhaps an untouched burbot population . Things under the surface can surprise even the most experienced.:scared0015:

huntsfurfish
03-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Oldman Reservoir has a bait ban in effect just an fyi. (for all):)

Walnut999
03-13-2013, 06:21 PM
another hijacked thread. The guy asked for info on who to talk to about stocking lakes. He didnt ask for your opinions or how wonderful you think Alberta fisheries already are. I believe Terry Clayton is the fisheries biologist based out of Lethbridge.

Tucker1
03-13-2013, 06:31 PM
Thanks ...the funny thing is if it ever happened most of them would be trying to fish for them lmao and I do believe Alberta is a great dishier and yes there are trophy fish out there but to all that say how great it is how many actually fish the dam?? Not the rivers but the oldman dam??

fishoncrestliner
03-13-2013, 06:44 PM
I fished lake ontario for few year they are huges i caught some 40 pounder but god they tasted like **** lolll. I prefer from far a nice laker from Alberta

huntsfurfish
03-13-2013, 11:14 PM
I fish the Oldman Reservoir(dam).:)

Still wont get any new species!

avb3
03-14-2013, 06:51 AM

It is never a good idea to stock non-native species for many reasons. Disease, competition for redds, displacement of native species and a host of other issues just plain makes it an idea that as conservationists one just cannot support.

Tucker1
03-14-2013, 12:12 PM
I agree a lot of obstacles for it to happen and I know it wouldn't ...the only advantage I see is it creates a fishier that's better than what's there but the loss would probably be greater than the advantage...what about walleye..lake trout?? The only reason I brought it up was I seen they did it in fort peck and it didn't hurt the walleye or lake trout fishing and created a fishiery that brings people in from all over

McLeod
03-14-2013, 12:17 PM
It is never a good idea to stock non-native species for many reasons. Disease, competition for redds, displacement of native species and a host of other issues just plain makes it an idea that as conservationists one just cannot support.

But no one does this anymore ! non native are only stocked as triploids and not where there are natives.

dwo
03-14-2013, 04:05 PM

there are also obviously some great fishing photographers!! Very, very nice!

Wes_G
03-14-2013, 04:46 PM
Sadly 8" trout is the norm. If you want bigger fish then go for pike or walleyes. Most reservoirs have a few swimming around in them. I think your chances of catching a 20lb trout is Alberta are pretty slim.

Tucker1
03-14-2013, 04:52 PM
Exactly I know there are some out there but down south not many ...even put Gerard trout in somewhere would be nice but won't happen I know but for all of you people against bring new fish in well browns wouldn't be in the bow if a truck didn't break down lol ...just saying

MtnGiant
03-14-2013, 05:26 PM

Salmon?????
How could you make that work?
Maybe a freshwater landlocked salmon?
It's called a rainbow trout...

But if you do manage to succeed in your quest....I vote NO to Bass and YES to Gerrard trout.

pickrel pat
03-14-2013, 05:39 PM

Salmon?????
How could you make that work?
Maybe a freshwater landlocked salmon?
It's called a rainbow trout...

But if you do manage to succeed in your quest....I vote NO to Bass and YES to Gerrard trout.

Or heres a thought...... Maybe its called a kokanee.

pickrel pat
03-14-2013, 05:40 PM
Didnt mean to quote you EZM.

MtnGiant
03-14-2013, 05:45 PM

Potato...potahto.....whatever
Same fish...diff name
Semantics....now there`s a thought
The point is.....he said salmon....not trout.

grinr
03-14-2013, 06:06 PM
Or maybe it's called a Landlock Atlantic?(aka Ouananiche)
The Great Lakes are a mess? News to me....those poor, poor people that have to live near and fish the Great Lakes.
Agreed....yes it was quite traumatic catching 20lb+ lakers,30+ Chinooks,Steelhead PB of 15LB,monster browns(Lk.O record is 32lb+ iirc?),coho,smallmouth,largemouth,walleye,sheepshe ad,crappie,carp and catfish.....all within sight of the CN Tower.....yep,the GLs are a mess. :rolleye2:

Re:Alberta.....the trout fishing is imho better in the middle of the 1.2M person metropolis of CGY than it is in many of the most remote/relatively untouched parts of NB.....no complaints here.

pickrel pat
03-14-2013, 06:10 PM
Potato...potahto.....whatever
Same fish...diff name
Semantics....now there`s a thought
The point is.....he said salmon....not trout.

Ummm not true. A landlocked salmon is a kokanee. A land locked trout is a trout.

Tucker1
03-14-2013, 06:25 PM
Lol either or and I ment chinooks and no they don't need salt water ...but Gerard's would be nice something a little different ...check out fort peck chinook salmon on utube also they live in the Great Lakes just need cold and deep water

MtnGiant
03-14-2013, 06:47 PM
Ummm not true. A landlocked salmon is a kokanee. A land locked trout is a trout.

A landlocked Steelhead is a Rainbow trout
A landlocked Sokeye is a Kokanee.

Soooooo Ummmmm not true back atcha buster:)

fish gunner
03-14-2013, 07:49 PM
A landlocked Steelhead is a Rainbow trout
A landlocked Sokeye is a Kokanee.

Soooooo Ummmmm not true back atcha buster:)

Not 100% sure the trout and landlock is correct, I have caught rainbow from water with salt water access. I suggest steelhead is a variant /subspecies of rainbow trout. As are black water, penask, athabasca ,Gerrard . Of which athabasca is the native of AB. :sHa_shakeshout:

MtnGiant
03-14-2013, 07:56 PM
Not 100% sure the trout and landlock is correct, I have caught rainbow from water with salt water access. I suggest steelhead is a variant /subspecies of rainbow trout. As are black water, penask, athabasca ,Gerrard . Of which athabasca is the native of AB. :sHa_shakeshout:

Guess you`ll hafta look it up and see if I was right.....or all txt pertaining to this is wrong for the past 50yrs or more :sHa_shakeshout:

huntsfurfish
03-14-2013, 08:14 PM
:)

fish gunner
03-14-2013, 08:21 PM
Guess you`ll hafta look it up and see if I was right.....or all txt pertaining to this is wrong for the past 50yrs or more :sHa_shakeshout:

Not sure , caught rainbow in lakelse Bc and in the Tay in Sco and they were spawners at 2.5 lbs . Is not the great lakes below Niagara freely connected to the salt? I would agree at one time Gerrards are landlocked steelhead.