PDA

View Full Version : Lake Trout

Gordoats26
03-12-2013, 04:23 PM
I want to get into lake trout fishing this summer. I want to outfit my boat with downriggers ect wonCould some of you experianced Lake Trout Fishermen help me out with what I will need to get set up Lures, Flashers will I need some heavy duty rod and bait caster reels to go with the downriggers I already got good gps and Sonar and trolling motor any tips would be great thanks.

35 whelen
03-12-2013, 04:28 PM
Ilike to jig over trout holes later in season use wind and wind socks and vertical jig drifting over these holes ,try this when trolling slows down,

TROLLER
03-12-2013, 05:58 PM
If you are going to be fishing the lakers deep ie: 100 plus FOW then you want a good stiff rod that you can put a good load on. I use a a 71/2ft. Ugly Stick with a Quantum line counter reel.

Usually I will just run a 3 inch grey Apax and troll around 1.8-2MPH and always in a Z pattern. Never troll in a straight line you will miss all the hits that come as your lure either sinks or rises on turns. Also drop your motor into neutral once in a while and let the lure sink a bit then go back in gear. Also once in a while give er a blast of speed for a short burst, you will be surprised at how those things will generate a hit not just for lakers but any trout you are trolling for.

If you do locate them do not be afraid to get the jig out with and work the area over and over.

One last thing you must check your line often. Lakers will often hit the lure and just swim with it. They will take a hold but not run so they do not break the line free of the downrigger.

Gordoats26
04-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the tips what is the best size and color of flasher to use in front of my spoons?

FishHunterPro
04-09-2013, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the tips what is the best size and color of flasher to use in front of my spoons?

I've never really used a flasher before but have had great luck just using spoons.

crazyfish
04-09-2013, 06:39 PM
never used a flasher , love to use the power pro braided lines , the less stretch you have the better your hook ups will be, also found alot less times i had to pull it off the downrigger, especially with the smaller ones ,and shows the tap-taps better IMO !
I never did like the level wind reels , so just went with a good open faced reel with the drag at the rear so it was easy to adjust in the rod holder, and a good pike/walleye rod was alright for everything i caught !
Good luck and dont be afraid to experiment, keep notes, and try different depths, i've caught lots trolling at 40 or less ! they will be shallower in spring and a bit deeper in summer. have fun

hockey1099
04-09-2013, 06:47 PM
I attach a flasher to one of my down rigger balls but not to both. I run my bait about 20-25 feet behind the ball. I usually use a cut plug rig with two single barbless hooks wrapped around and hooked thru a herring. My rod is a 9 or 10 foot salmon rod and i have an islander MR2 reel. Basically i pretend to salmon fish on cold lake unfortunately they dont fight like slamon or taste near as good.

Buy electric downriggers with counters if they are in your budget.

357xp
04-09-2013, 07:02 PM
Go for lakers in mid oct, don't need any downriggers or special gear, they r up high and will grab almost any spoon.

Gordoats26
04-09-2013, 07:34 PM
Go for lakers in mid oct, don't need any downriggers or special gear, they r up high and will grab almost any spoon.
But that would cut into my hunting season lol

hockey1099
04-09-2013, 07:44 PM

I have caught Lakers trolling for walleye with plugs in anywhere from 12-30 feet of water in June. You dont need fancy equipment to get them just need to know where to go.

EZM
04-09-2013, 07:52 PM
I use a lake troll (multiple willow leaf flashers) or a 4" dodger flasher in front of my spoon, plug or apex.

Silver is the starting, and go to color usually.

A 2" wobbler five of diamonds running 30" behind a 4" silver dodger was last years laker ticket.

crazyfish
04-09-2013, 08:12 PM

Be aware that cold lake has a zero retention of lake trout from sept.15 to nov 16 in the fall to protect them during the spawn !

Peace Country
04-09-2013, 09:26 PM
Gordoats26 If you want to fish for lakers shallow all summer long or fly fish for them on a lake or rivers let me know. We don't fish below 25-30 feet with out downriggers most of the fish are caught in the top 20 feet of the surface.

357xp
04-09-2013, 09:39 PM
Be aware that cold lake has a zero retention of lake trout from sept.15 to nov 16 in the fall to protect them during the spawn !

Allright, but, iam not talkin cold lake bud, never been there! Good warning for those that fish there though.