PDA

View Full Version : Best Laker Spoons/Downrigging

SCHOOCH
03-12-2013, 06:03 PM
Alright all you Lake Trout geniuses, i'm not looking at wasting $ on buying crappy spoons or whatever that just don't produce the most fish. What i'am looking for is suggestions with the brand, size, colour and anything else you would be able to help me with. Generally i will be at Minnewanka and these lures i'm looking for will be used with the downriggers. Thanks in advance once again gents!!! PM me if that works better for you:happy0180::happy0180:

fishunter327
03-12-2013, 06:30 PM
Hot shot Apex #83 black/pearl ,4.5 inch ,that's my goto lure for trolling for lakers in Quesnel lake .Have never used it in Minnewanka.:sign0111:

WildCats
03-12-2013, 06:45 PM
Wolverine spoons are probably "THE" best spoon for laker's however extremely tough to find. Apex is also one of the top lures.

laker taker2
03-12-2013, 09:44 PM
Coyote thin trolling spoons seem to always produce behind downriggers with about 40ft or more of line behind the clip so it wobbles or spins, silver and blue. Or juggernaut (sp) in rainbow trout pattern or blue/silver with black dots have done well for me. Bigger the better with triple grip trebles. Or the mepps ones with 2 bends. Can't recall what they call them though.

grizz
03-12-2013, 10:04 PM
Warden's Worry pearl with red dots. Mepps Cyclops . Try bouncing your cannonball in the mud every once in awhile, that is, once you know where the mud flats are, keep your lure back about 10 ft. Good sonar sure helps.

dfrobert
03-12-2013, 10:58 PM
If I could take only 3 spoons for lakers
It would be these: Williams Whitefish, Lucky Stike Canoe (pearl red dot pattern), and Lucky Strike Half wave.

Don't be afraid to buy the biggest sizes!!!

cujo1969
03-12-2013, 11:00 PM
five of diamonds yellow red size #2 #4

dodgeboy1979
03-13-2013, 07:06 AM
If I could take only 3 spoons for lakers
It would be these: Williams Whitefish, Lucky Stike Canoe (pearl red dot pattern), and Lucky Strike Half wave.

Don't be afraid to buy the biggest sizes!!!

X2

Takmaster
03-13-2013, 07:26 AM
Have never fished Minnewanka however for Lakers in the Stuart chain of Northern BC I use:

Gibbs Stewart #5-7 and F.S.T #5-7 in orange/silver and Apex in army truck (RBT) or cop car 4.5-7... Good luck! When living in Canmore the guys at the local tackle shop had pictures of some beauties they caught at Minne!

EZM
03-13-2013, 07:59 AM
William Wobbler, Apex 3", Coyote, Hoochie behind a dodger

58thecat
03-13-2013, 08:07 AM
So Laker slayers this is what I use on Cold Lake and various other lakes. Been out trolling with the big boys and after they watch our boat land one after another I have had multiple boats pull up and ask "what the heck are you using"? So here goes a little secret passed down to me from my dad.
I run a pink lady diver, right behind it a small spinner as an attractant, four feet of line and a shhhh its a secret...an Apex Lure 4.5" pink/yellow. Now if you are not familiar with this go to Apex Lures website and it will explain everything you need to know but shhhh its a secret! :character0053:

EZM
03-13-2013, 08:37 AM
So Laker slayers this is what I use on Cold Lake and various other lakes. Been out trolling with the big boys and after they watch our boat land one after another I have had multiple boats pull up and ask "what the heck are you using"? So here goes a little secret passed down to me from my dad.
I run a pink lady diver, right behind it a small spinner as an attractant, four feet of line and a shhhh its a secret...an Apex Lure 4.5" pink/yellow. Now if you are not familiar with this go to Apex Lures website and it will explain everything you need to know but shhhh its a secret! :character0053:

I use a very similar set up actually .....

Dipsy Diver, Dodger (or sometimes a set if fender spinners) and often run a 3" and sometime 4.4" apex in silver, rainbow or my secret (purple/black).

I have never run pink/yellow for lakers.

I have run lots of hot pink in a 1.5" for kokanee.

I find, if there are a few of us in the boat, to set up a few different flashers, spoons, apexes etc...

Sometimes you can dial one of the presentations right in and you are in business. Other times .......... well you know how that story goes .....

We also drop one off the rigger with a plain old spoon (five of diamonds wobbler) to a 4" plain silver dodger and that seems to work best for lakers at lower speeds.

SCHOOCH
03-13-2013, 09:10 AM
Thanks guys.........heres my next question to show how ignorant i'am to all this, you guys all recommend to use dodgers......i've heard of flashers and sort of understand how they work??!!! I searched dodgers online and saw the main difference is that they don't do a full 360 rotation, the flasher is supposed to do a full rotation???? Reason i'am confused is because while salmon fishing the guide told me as he was setting up that you never want the flasher to do the full rotation either. Once again forgive me for my ignorance but i have to ask!!!

58thecat
03-13-2013, 09:46 AM
Thats fishing eh everyone has a preference or a secret that they may or may not share, there is a lot of good information here so experiment with what works for you and what you prefer, me I keep everything light and enjoy the fight, take a picture, catch and release oh but I will enjoy a fish fry now and then along with an ice cold beverage!

Stally77
03-13-2013, 01:54 PM

Apex (cop car)and green/red. Worked great for me last year at cold. I agree that they are the go to hook for Lakers! Work great at they Shuswap as well!

EZM
03-13-2013, 02:15 PM
Thanks guys.........heres my next question to show how ignorant i'am to all this, you guys all recommend to use dodgers......i've heard of flashers and sort of understand how they work??!!! I searched dodgers online and saw the main difference is that they don't do a full 360 rotation, the flasher is supposed to do a full rotation???? Reason i'am confused is because while salmon fishing the guide told me as he was setting up that you never want the flasher to do the full rotation either. Once again forgive me for my ignorance but i have to ask!!!

Now you are just dragging out "top secret info" lol.

Here's the deal - a dodger acts a little different in the way it ocilates in the water - similar to a way a flasher works except not as "erratic" I guess.

You go fast enough and that flasher will do a 360 but it's probably not designed or intended to act that way - I would agree. A flasher typically just flops around side to side in erratice sweeping patterns. Seems to work well for salmon.

You can do a number of things to achieve variation in your presentation.

I will, as a side note, say you should always always always run a bead swivel chain between your dodger (or flasher) and your lure. Although a swivel snap comes on (from the package) typically with a ring on one side and a swivel snap on the other - I make sure there is a swivel on each end. I find the bead swivel chains help alot if you are running a lighter weight lure as your trailer. This helps it spin (which lakers like) at lower speeds which lakers also like.

I sometimes will shorten or lengthen the trailer to achieve different presentations.

It's always a good idea to get to trolling speed and run it along side of the boat and see what it does.

The second guy the in boat should try something different and you will soon find out what is tricking the fish into striking.

I have bent dodgers, lengthened leads, played with all sorts of set ups but keep going back to - swivel,dodger,swivel, fluoro leader and lure - plain and simple - seems to catch lakers.

Wild&Free
03-13-2013, 02:31 PM
No one uses Ruby Eye's for Lakers in this province? They have been effective for me in the past in BC.

SCHOOCH
03-13-2013, 02:43 PM
Now you are just dragging out "top secret info" lol.

Here's the deal - a dodger acts a little different in the way it ocilates in the water - similar to a way a flasher works except not as "erratic" I guess.

You go fast enough and that flasher will do a 360 but it's probably not designed or intended to act that way - I would agree. A flasher typically just flops around side to side in erratice sweeping patterns. Seems to work well for salmon.

You can do a number of things to achieve variation in your presentation.

I will, as a side note, say you should always always always run a bead swivel chain between your dodger (or flasher) and your lure. Although a swivel snap comes on (from the package) typically with a ring on one side and a swivel snap on the other - I make sure there is a swivel on each end. I find the bead swivel chains help alot if you are running a lighter weight lure as your trailer. This helps it spin (which lakers like) at lower speeds which lakers also like.

I sometimes will shorten or lengthen the trailer to achieve different presentations.

It's always a good idea to get to trolling speed and run it along side of the boat and see what it does.

The second guy the in boat should try something different and you will soon find out what is tricking the fish into striking.

I have bent dodgers, lengthened leads, played with all sorts of set ups but keep going back to - swivel,dodger,swivel, fluoro leader and lure - plain and simple - seems to catch lakers.

HAHAHAHA..........don't worry EZM, as always your secrets are safe with me....i really do appreciate all the info from all of you ssssshhhhhh!!!!

dodgeboy1979
03-13-2013, 02:45 PM
the ruby eyes were common in the great lakes too for trout and salmon

Wild&Free
03-13-2013, 02:55 PM
the ruby eyes were common in the great lakes too for trout and salmon

You know, we may have let a secret out...

dodgeboy1979
03-13-2013, 02:57 PM
shhhhhh don't tell anyone else :scared0018: