PDA

View Full Version : One Final Day at Sunshine Bay

tacklerunner
03-13-2013, 11:23 AM
Well with many of our lakes closing this weekend, Jack&7, his Lady, myself and 3 canines got 1 last hard water trip in at Sushine Bay yesterday.

It was the day of 1000 bites. The fish were very playful and kept us busy all day. There were many tip ups and bells ringing with no results. Nevertheless, we managed to ice our share. Subtle jigging mating minnow jigs produced slightly better results than dead sticking.

It was a fitting end to the year for the hard water snot rockets chasers:

- I got outfished by 1 by Jack&7's gal (which OneGirl would appreciate)
- Jack&7 got the biggest fish
- No trucks got stuck
- And the Sunshine kept us warm at the place which bears its name

We didn't get Moby this year, in fact none over 20 lbs but we successfully realeased many hundreds of pike this season to grow bigger for next year. Catch ya next year!

Jack&7 did end the season with a decent 34.25", 10.6lb pike.

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc416/tacklerunner/IMG_1375_zps68ece707.jpg
http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc416/tacklerunner/IMG_1378_zps148268c3.jpg

I'm a bit sad :( but will use this time to start sorting my fly gear.

kevinhits
03-13-2013, 12:12 PM
looks like a great day...Dean...Thanks for sending the pic of your pike yesterday to my phone...Too bad I couldn't make it. I pm'd you guys about my experience Monday out there. Glad you guys didn't get stuck like me...Did you notice my tracks that i got stuck at catchamolot bay....Tires were in over an inch of ice and $300 later....Fricken sucks!

Anyone interested in burb night fishing before the season closes?

Mutter87
03-13-2013, 12:21 PM
Good to hear of the report. We are heading out to Badger friday and phyllis saturday to end the season :(

Jack&7
03-13-2013, 12:41 PM
looks like a great day...Dean...Thanks for sending the pic of your pike yesterday to my phone...Too bad I couldn't make it. I pm'd you guys about my experience Monday out there. Glad you guys didn't get stuck like me...Did you notice my tracks that i got stuck at catchamolot bay....Tires were in over an inch of ice and $300 later....Fricken sucks!

Anyone interested in burb night fishing before the season closes?

Kevin...

We got the PM after we got off the ice. Although we didn't know it at the time, we saw exactly where you got stuck...crappy luck man! PM me if you have a plan for some night fishing. The rest of my week looks pretty full, but that could change.

It was a great day out there yesterday. The wind was a little brisk around lunch time, as there was a bit of a weather front coming through...but that's also when the bite was at its peak!

Once the wind died down and the sun came out, it was a beautiful day...didn't even bother setting up the tent. It was nice to just sit out and enjoy the day.

The GF also caught a nice 5 pounder and in total, I iced 8. Sad to see it end...but I guess it's time to get the boat shined up! That being said...I still might find a way to get on some other ice before the end of the month.

Best of luck to all of you that get out before this weekend.

kevinhits
03-13-2013, 01:10 PM
Live and learn eh...Did you both drive on to Sunshine?

Let me know when you want to go for burbs and walleye..

I usually set out around 3 or 4 pm but since the extra hour of daylight, might end up going later...Wife gets home from work around 430 so anytime after that. I did alot less burb fishing this year than the past but would love to get out before closing on april 30th...

Probably would of caught more yesterday, but between trying to find a towing service and in and out reception on my cellphone, kind of wasted the day of fishing....Did land a keeper size but was exhausted from trying to get unstuck, decided there was no time to clean him when I got home that night...
I am saving him for next year..LOL

Jack&7
03-13-2013, 10:44 PM
Another view to show the girth. I forgot to lay the 30 inch rod beside her to compare...