PDA

View Full Version : Float tube question

Chris89lx
03-13-2013, 01:45 PM
What are the pro's and con's of an open vs closed front float tube.

silverdoctor
03-13-2013, 02:00 PM
Never used an enclosed tube, but I have one of these and love it. No real issues, had a minor leak due to dirt in the valve but it's been great. 5 years and still going strong.
http://creekcompany.com/product.php?productid=16152&cat=0&page=&featured=Y

The price was wrong in the system so I got mine for $120, heckuva deal. Aside from the typical float tube yea's or nay's, it's quite comfortable. I've pulled big fish up between my fins and near got yanked out of it a couple of times - do take big fish over the side.

The seat tends to be under water so your arse will stay wet but with waders on, it's no big deal. The biggest beef I have is the little storage opening behind the seat is always under water, need something waterproof to store anything in it.

All in all, great setup, can launch pretty much anywhere.

coppershot
03-13-2013, 02:19 PM
Most but not all of the open front designs allow for out of the water seating where your feet are out front and only from your knees down are in the water (great on cold days), plus landing a fish is easier without a tube in your way. These designs tend to have less wind resistance and move easier throughout the water

If you plan on hiking in to back country lakes the doughnut style tends to be smaller, lighter and pack down pretty small, but most of these are not built as tough as the open front designs.

If you can afford it buy one with urethane bladders vs vinyl. It will last longer be tougher and usually safer than vinyl. Or better still are the bladderless versions like a scadden or NSR gigbob, but they run up there in price...
Hope that helps

Mountain Guy
03-13-2013, 09:40 PM
Are you talking float tube vs u-boat?
If so the uboat style is far superior to the float tube. getting into a float tube can be difficult vs just sitting into a u-boat.
For fly fishing it is much easier casting from a u-boat as you are higher above the water.
Surprized they even make float tubes since u-boats came along.

Heavy K
03-14-2013, 10:07 AM
Contrary to Coppershot, I've found the closed-front float "tubes" usually use a truck inner tube and are virtually indestructable. Perhaps there are cheapies that use vinyl bladders? These older tubes tended to be much less expensive, but it sounds as if the open front u-boats have come down in price a lot. That said, I'd be careful with quality on a cheaper option open-front boat. A hundred bucks spent on an open-front boat probably won't get you the same durability as what you'd get spending the same dollars on an old style tube. With the old closed-front tubes, my personal experience is that once you're in them, they're pretty much impossible to fall out of, at least until you try to exit. No fish will pull you out at any rate.

As mentioned previously, stay away from vinyl bladders if you can.

HK

Scott N
03-14-2013, 10:34 AM
I agree with Heavy K about some of the old style closed style belly boats having tire tubes and being practically indestructable. I filled mine up with air in 1997 and I've only had to top it off a few times. That's 16 years! I've never had a hole in it either.

I'm also in agreement with coppershot about the doughnut type being good to hike into lakes.... mine is pretty light, and I leave it inflated all the time and just strap it to a backback frame.

coppershot
03-14-2013, 11:41 AM
I will agree that the "old style" doughnuts where built tough using rubber inner tubes and are very reliable, but I'm not sure if these are made anymore? The ones I have seen recently look cheap, are cheap$$$$ and are vinyl!...(with the exception of bucks bags)...The only reason I see owning one of these nowadays is for hike-ins only. There is a reason Most manufacturers have went the way of the open front design
1.Out of the water seating.
2.Better tracking in the water.
3.Multiple air chambers for added safety.
4.Easier to get in and out of/ land fish.
5.Usually more storage
I have used many many float tubes and I think the best bang for your buck right now is the Outcast Super Fat Cat...

Heavy K
03-14-2013, 11:51 AM
Or if you've got money to burn, get one of these rigs:

http://www.bigskyinflatables.com/WM_Models_and_Specs.html

Never tried one, but they look pretty sweet!

Chris89lx
03-16-2013, 02:31 PM
Well I ended up getting the White River Fly Shop Lost Lake Open Front Float Tube.
It's the one Bass pro has on sale in the current Spring Fishing Flyer for $80.
The bladders are PVC. But for the 3-4 times a year I will use it should be fine.

http://m.basspro.com/White-River-Fly-Shop-Lost-Lake-Open-Front-Float-Tube/product/97939/106891

coppershot
03-16-2013, 04:12 PM
Awesome, Just remember to check the pressure in the bladders as the day gets hotter. This is one of the main reasons people get leaks or even worse a tube blows out when you are on the water....

Bhflyfisher
03-16-2013, 04:33 PM
Well I ended up getting the White River Fly Shop Lost Lake Open Front Float Tube.
The bladders are PVC. But for the 3-4 times a year I will use it should be fine.

http://m.basspro.com/White-River-Fly-Shop-Lost-Lake-Open-Front-Float-Tube/product/97939/106891

Couple of people i know have had that an have had some issues with them. Hopefully thats not the case with you.

coppershot
03-16-2013, 05:46 PM
Incase anyone else is looking for a float tube, I was at WSS yesterday and they have a Fishcat 4 lcs for 99 bucks (half price). If you can bring yours back to bass pro you could get that one from WSS its an all around better boat...

Bhflyfisher
03-16-2013, 06:13 PM
Incase anyone else is looking for a float tube, I was at WSS yesterday and they have a Fishcat 4 lcs for 99 bucks (half price). If you can bring yours back to bass pro you could get that one from WSS its an all around better boat...

yeup. Way better boat for your money. Lots of bladder problems with the white river boats i've heard. The LCS is a great boat and brand new for 100 bucks a wicked deal.

Dust1n
03-16-2013, 08:58 PM

I own that one and it works good. the only drawback is that its pretty heavy for a little floattube compared to other ones. But it gets you on the water just be careful with the wind because it can push you in a hurry. I wouldnt recomend it. go with the Fishcat4 its a way better buy

Chris89lx
03-16-2013, 09:28 PM
Haven't even opened the box yet.
I'll be down by Wholesale on Monday. If they have a Fishcat 4 lcs in stock I may just grab one and return the Lost Lake tube.
Even though I have waders I think I would prefer my ***** out of the water. Being higher up would aid in casting and top water vision.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Chris89lx
03-18-2013, 02:23 PM
Just called and the Fishcats are sold out:-(

ericlin0122
03-18-2013, 02:32 PM
last week wholesales sport calgary has the fishcat float tube on sale for $99!!! that deal was ridiculous.

Runnyd
03-18-2013, 08:56 PM
They may still have the deluxe (red) version for sale for $130.

I think the difference between the two is an inflatable seat.

Still can't beat that deal.

Bhflyfisher
03-18-2013, 10:04 PM
They may still have the deluxe (red) version for sale for $130.

I think the difference between the two is an inflatable seat.

Still can't beat that deal.

I have the super fat cat, and a deluxe LCS. 130 dollars is so worth it for the deluxe lcs. I paid full price for the LCS and am completely content with it.