Best to debarb your hook so you can remove
the hook easier and faster so there is less harm
to the fish.

sparky660
03-13-2013, 10:03 PM
to the fish.

I have read articles that the difference between barbed and barbless hooks has little effect on mortality rates. There will be others that will respond as this really divides the fishing world.

CNP
03-13-2013, 10:06 PM
However they come out of the package................that's how I use 'em.

Jimboy
03-13-2013, 10:55 PM
to the fish.

b b b bb but but , then he,ll get off and ther goes my supper:thinking-006:

BeeGuy
03-13-2013, 10:59 PM
Can't wait to replace all the trebles on my crankbaits.

Maybe I'll finally land a fish.

Pikehunter13
03-14-2013, 12:25 AM
However they come out of the package................that's how I use 'em.

Agree'd

I fish to harvest.

Crazy Horse
03-14-2013, 08:17 AM
I love barbs :love0025:

Mutter87
03-14-2013, 09:31 AM
It'll be funny when they bring the law back into place and most don't check the regs then get burned for having barbs, especiialy the C&K fisherman lol

But no, for 2013 barbs are fully legal.

unridaz
03-14-2013, 09:46 AM
I believe there are threads similar to this on the forum, but basically some mistakes were made during the whole process of putting out the regs this year and barbed hooks were left out. Meaning that technically for 2013, barbed hooks are legal. However, since this was a mistake, and they plan on re-instating the laws in 2014, they have asked anglers to continue to remove the barbs from their tackle. Reasons: there is a possibility that a barbed hook will cause more damage to the fish than barbless ones. Also if you continue to remove the barbs you don't run the risk of developing any habits that might get you into trouble next year.

WalleyeDeitz
03-14-2013, 09:56 AM
First time fishing with Barbs this winter, had a fish cop zip open the tent. She asked to see our hooks to ensure they were barbless, I replied WTF? everyone has been saying we don’t need to pinch them anymore and proceeded to tell her that my hooks were barbed (fishing for Lakers so not allot of action/releasing to do). She proceeded to explain that they cannot prosecute you, however it is in the regulations to use barbless hooks, so it is not permitted to use barbs, so she made us pinch em and carried on her way.....after a couple of other issues (beer).

Graffy91
03-14-2013, 10:01 AM
First time fishing with Barbs this winter, had a fish cop zip open the tent. She asked to see our hooks to ensure they were barbless, I replied WTF? everyone has been saying we don’t need to pinch them anymore and proceeded to tell her that my hooks were barbed (fishing for Lakers so not allot of action/releasing to do). She proceeded to explain that they cannot prosecute you, however it is in the regulations to use barbless hooks, so it is not permitted to use barbs, so she made us pinch em and carried on her way.....after a couple of other issues (beer).

That's funny, because when I got inspected on Wabamun they didn't even ask to see my buddy's as mine hooks. He just asked how its been fishing wise, searched my backpack, tent for boose and drugs. I asked about the barbed hook law and he said they cannot enforce it, because it was removed.

The officer I dealt with was a beauty, and I landed a nice 10lber in front of them with a clean release leading him to compliment me and my friend on our fish handling techniques.

It's just like police officers, sometimes you get a-hole power trippers, or you get a non chalant officer. :D

BeeGuy
03-14-2013, 10:42 AM
Searching your tent and backpack for what?

catchandeat
03-14-2013, 10:45 AM

She shouldn't have made you pinched them. Using barbs isn't illegal, so what she did was wrong. We had a conservation officer approach us at spray lakes who said the same thing, that it's still listed in the regulations to use barbless, but she couldn't prosecute us for it. She also said she would have to do a "follow up" :confused: with her office to make sure what she told us was right. haha

Winch101
03-14-2013, 10:54 AM
I realized too late that there were other threads on this .

The only reason I like barbs is that bait stays on better....

Lots of have never gone barbless ,or with seatbelts ,

Always speed ......their ready to pay...

Single hooks on cranks .....I did it .....don't really like the way

It looks .....have to see how fish feel

BigJon
03-14-2013, 10:55 AM
That's funny, because when I got inspected on Wabamun they didn't even ask to see my buddy's as mine hooks. He just asked how its been fishing wise, searched my backpack, tent for boose and drugs. I asked about the barbed hook law and he said they cannot enforce it, because it was removed.

The officer I dealt with was a beauty, and I landed a nice 10lber in front of them with a clean release leading him to compliment me and my friend on our fish handling techniques.

It's just like police officers, sometimes you get a-hole power trippers, or you get a non chalant officer. :D

jeeezus...

Graffy91
03-14-2013, 11:02 AM
jeeezus...

Guy was just doing his job, I have nothing to hide so I let it go.

Mutter87
03-14-2013, 11:57 AM
I realized too late that there were other threads on this .

The only reason I like barbs is that bait stays on better....

Lots of have never gone barbless ,or with seatbelts ,

Always speed ......their ready to pay...

Single hooks on cranks .....I did it .....don't really like the way

It looks .....have to see how fish feel

And you should be banned for life from fishing if you were using barbs while you know you should not have.

as for bait, Use a treble, stick the shank through the bait, problem solved.

Do some of you want 5 lines with 10 hooks per line to? Why not take all the sport out of it?

MoFugger21
03-14-2013, 12:08 PM
And you should be banned for life from fishing if you were using barbs while you know you should not have.

Do some of you want 5 lines with 10 hooks per line to? Why not take all the sport out of it?

Ya.... That tends to work well if fishing for trout, perch, whitefish, etc..... :rolleye2:

Mutter87
03-14-2013, 12:26 PM
Ya.... That tends to work well if fishing for trout, perch, whitefish, etc..... :rolleye2:

Use small jigs man, you don't like the challenge or what?? Having a fish get off is part of the sport.

Ah well, keep while you can, more and more people seem to be thinking like me and eventually we will rub out the C&K fisherman. All just a matter of time :)

lovich12
03-14-2013, 12:33 PM
Use small jigs man, you don't like the challenge or what?? Having a fish get off is part of the sport.

Ah well, keep while you can, more and more people seem to be thinking like me and eventually we will rub out the C&K fisherman. All just a matter of time :)

Good luck with that. Let me know how it works out for ya!! :snapoutofit:

BeeGuy
03-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Banned for life?

Bahahahaha

I guess you don't see it coming.

Ibtb

MoFugger21
03-14-2013, 12:41 PM

Ya, jigs and trebles are the same...... :rolleye2: Your reading comprehension is just.... bad.

And I lose my fair share fish, don't worry, lol. I also take some home for supper, AND I now fish with barbs.

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx61/MoFugger21/motherofgod.jpg

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx61/MoFugger21/oh-the-huge-manatee.jpg

If you want to 'educate' people on the downfalls of keeping your limit every time you fish, fine. Then educate people. But leave your preachy "anyone who keeps a fish or two and fishes with barbs is the anti-Christ" crap out of it.

coppershot
03-14-2013, 12:51 PM
Ah well, keep while you can, more and more people seem to be thinking like me and eventually we will rub out the C&K fisherman. All just a matter of time :)[/QUOTE]

99% of the time I C&R and fly fish only. The only time I keep a fish is if I have hiked in somewhere and I will be there for a few days. With that said I have nothing against the guys who keep what they catch within their limit obviously, because believe it or not these fish are here for us to eat period....Now before you go and say If you want to eat fish you can buy them at the grocery store you better be willing to say the same thing to the guys who would rather hunt than buy beef at the supermarket..Lets see how good that goes for ya.

Oh and about the barbs...Fish them while you can cause I think they are dead set at getting this changed for next year.

BeeGuy
03-14-2013, 12:53 PM
more and more people seem to be thinking like me

we should take a poll

shanks
03-14-2013, 12:55 PM

that would be sweet. Go barbs Go. What makes you think we are all in it for sport? oh and banned for life? your should be a F&W officer.

Mutter87
03-14-2013, 01:00 PM
Good luck with that. Let me know how it works out for ya!! :snapoutofit:

Look around man, more and more rules, more and more closures. The days of the maroons keeping their limit every week is going to be a thing of the past. Irresponsible fisherman are on their way out. If it was a person keeping 1 small fish every now and then, I am sure people wouldn't have an issue with it, its the guys keeping large trophy fish that are putting them in the hole, and I am more the happy to be the guy holding the shovel filling the hole in with dirt.

Mutter87
03-14-2013, 01:03 PM
that would be sweet. Go barbs Go. What makes you think we are all in it for sport? oh and banned for life? your should be a F&W officer.

Ya, banned for life, if your using barbs while you know they are illegal.

Well, if you weren't in it for sport, I would probably fall out of my seat at the fact you had the capacity to tie your own shoes let alone drive a vehicle, as you would save a lot of money just buying the fish at the local market instead of driving hours to a lake. :)

BeeGuy
03-14-2013, 01:03 PM
If it was a person keeping 1 small fish every now and then, I am sure people wouldn't have an issue with it, its the guys keeping large trophy fish that are putting them in the hole, and I am more the happy to be the guy holding the shovel filling the hole in with dirt.

What hole?

Hunh?

fishnchicks
03-14-2013, 01:07 PM
Yay.i heard that a few months ago... I love barbed hooks!:sHa_shakeshout:

MoFugger21
03-14-2013, 01:18 PM
Look around man,..... blah, blah, blah, blah

Fixed your post

huntsfurfish
03-14-2013, 01:18 PM

Nobody thinks like you! You are all alone:)

BeeGuy
03-14-2013, 01:20 PM
hahahahaha

huntsfurfish
03-14-2013, 01:21 PM

99% of the time I C&R and fly fish only. The only time I keep a fish is if I have hiked in somewhere and I will be there for a few days. With that said I have nothing against the guys who keep what they catch within their limit obviously, because believe it or not these fish are here for us to eat period....Now before you go and say If you want to eat fish you can buy them at the grocery store you better be willing to say the same thing to the guys who would rather hunt than buy beef at the supermarket..Lets see how good that goes for ya.

Oh and about the barbs...Fish them while you can cause I think they are dead set at getting this changed for next year.[/QUOTE]

Dont count on it! They are reconsidering it.:)

Actually a good opportunity to fix the wrong in the first place.:)

BeeGuy
03-14-2013, 01:26 PM
Dont count on it! They are reconsidering it.:)

Well, one can only hope that the policy and legislation is informed by the science, which it has not been so far.

huntsfurfish
03-14-2013, 01:32 PM
Agree.

This actually will give them the opportunity to do just that and step away from it.

58thecat
03-14-2013, 01:40 PM
to the fish.

Yep and you can remove the hook easier from your finger.:dork:

ak-71
03-14-2013, 01:45 PM
Agree.

This actually will give them the opportunity to do just that and step away from it.

Stupid (useless) laws are the hardest to fix, I think.
Studies I saw show that barbed hooks have a very marginal decrease in mortality rates (much less than J vs Circular hooks in most cases, for example). And yet look at the reaction to this topic on this forum :thinking-006:
Laws like that survive just because people like to think that they are doing the "right thing", even if "the thing" doesn't really do much. This law is for people, not the fish

As one old man told me once "Most enthusiastically people do useless, and, often, harmful deeds" :) Barbed hooks are the prime example of that

huntsfurfish
03-14-2013, 01:59 PM
Stupid (useless) laws are the hardest to fix, I think.
Studies I saw show that barbed hooks have a very marginal decrease in mortality rated (much less than J vs Circular hooks in most cases, for example). And yet look at the reaction to this topic on this forum :thinking-006:
Laws like that survive just because people like to think that they are doing the "right thing", even if "the thing" doesn't really do much. This law is for people, not the fish

As one old man told me once "Most enthusiastically people do useless, and, often, harmful deeds" :) Barbed hooks are the prime example of that

I agree.

shanks
03-14-2013, 03:29 PM
Ya, banned for life, if your using barbs while you know they are illegal.

Well, if you weren't in it for sport, I would probably fall out of my seat at the fact you had the capacity to tie your own shoes let alone drive a vehicle, as you would save a lot of money just buying the fish at the local market instead of driving hours to a lake. :)

so it wouldn't be that i like boating, harvesting, spending time with my kids, or a solo trip, love nature, want to be an active part of the outdoor community, camping, cooking.....oh and what supermarket sells yellow perch? i dont know who's moms basement you live in (this is where you would insert one of your awesome mom jokes) but you should open a newspaper. We live in a color world now pal. Not black and white. You will realize this once you start to pay bills and having sex and stuff like that....grow up

crosbyfan123
03-14-2013, 03:51 PM

Shouldn't you be hugging a tree somewhere or are you grounded cause your mom found out about your naughty communist comments. :snapoutofit:

lovich12
03-14-2013, 03:59 PM
Look around man,

.....is about as far as I made it...you should spend more time fishing and less time on your computer. Seems to me you're trying to win the race for most posts on this forum. Keep going. You're doing good!! :love0025:

58thecat
03-14-2013, 04:14 PM
i dont know who's moms basement you live in (this is where you would insert one of your awesome mom jokes)

Meatloaf....MOM....I want some @#%@&*% MEATLOAF!:burp:

Dog hunter
03-14-2013, 04:15 PM
Barbs are for barbies I been pinching mine for 20 years

shanks
03-14-2013, 04:24 PM
i dont know who's moms basement you live in (this is where you would insert one of your awesome mom jokes)

Meatloaf....MOM....I want some @#%@&*% MEATLOAF!:burp:

great flick Mcadams is soooo fine!

crosbyfan123
03-14-2013, 08:28 PM

Congrats nobody cares.

BeeGuy
03-14-2013, 11:18 PM

Pinching barbies for 20 years?

(slow clap)

Pikehunter13
03-14-2013, 11:58 PM
I like to use barbs.
Best way to fish.

The fish will heal. Just a flesh wound.

BeeGuy
03-15-2013, 12:16 AM
I don't know about that.

I've seen your double handed hammer hook set on Mountain whitefish.

Might as well use a grenade.

grinr
03-15-2013, 06:22 AM
jeeezus...

Guy was just doing his job, I have nothing to hide so I let it go.
JEEEEEEZUS X 1000!!
Since when is it a fish cop's job to conduct illegal,unwarranted searches without probable cause or reasonable grounds?I hope you got a hefty fine for NOT having booze while ice-fishing....now THAT would be a crime!!
Pinching barbies for 20 years?

(slow clap)
clap.......clap........clap..... :)

Bolete
03-15-2013, 12:02 PM
I would hazard a guess that the avid C&R fishermen accidently kill far more fish through their activity than are killed by barbs.

Reddin
03-15-2013, 12:26 PM
What science are you talking about when referring to barbed/barbless hooks on mortality on fish? The one where guys are wearing labcoats catching fish in a brood tank then removing hooks with proper pliers? Where's the data on people releasing fish: that are begginer anglers that don't know how to propely remove hooks, that don't have pliers, that forgot their pliers, that need to hurry and remove hook(s) for picture, that have cold hands, that have 3 trebles to get out, that have spring action aparatus that sets the hook. Show me that report then maybe.

Dog hunter
03-15-2013, 05:38 PM
With a properly set single barbless hook you can reach down and pop it out of the fishes mouth without even taking the fish out of water easier on the larger species for sure the fish love it. Oh yeah Crosby is a mama's boy

Albertafisher
03-15-2013, 06:04 PM
Staying barbless, honestly barbless (if known how to remove them properly) doesn't really benefit the fish. Just a lot people have no idea how to remove a barbed hook properly without damaging the fish, so they created the barbless law.

huntsfurfish
03-15-2013, 06:07 PM
Staying barbless, honestly barbless (if known how to remove them properly) doesn't really benefit the fish. Just a lot people have no idea how to remove a barbed hook properly without damaging the fish, so they created the barbless law.

No. Guess again.

kevinhits
03-15-2013, 06:28 PM
With a properly set single barbless hook you can reach down and pop it out of the fishes mouth without even taking the fish out of water easier on the larger species for sure the fish love it. Oh yeah Crosby is a mama's boy

You must mean a trout...Good luck with a pike:snapoutofit:

Single hook...Barbless:sHa_sarcasticlol: